Page 71 of 108 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71 72 73 81 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,130 of 3234

Thread: The Relationship Thread

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    getting married on sunday and we're SO FREAKIN' EXCITED!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I just want to say that separate rooms do wonders for a relationship. Me and her just talked one day and acknowledged that we liked being alone for a few hours in the day, and it wouldn't affect us negatively if we had separate rooms, and there you go. We spend many nights in the same room, of course, but everyone needs their 'me' time. Also great: separate bathrooms. Solves many issues.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire View Post
    I just want to say that separate rooms do wonders for a relationship. Me and her just talked one day and acknowledged that we liked being alone for a few hours in the day, and it wouldn't affect us negatively if we had separate rooms, and there you go. We spend many nights in the same room, of course, but everyone needs their 'me' time. Also great: separate bathrooms. Solves many issues.

I definitely plan to do this

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Not sure if it's entirely related anymore but I finally got my save the dates back from the printing company and they look incredible! Psyched to hand write 100 addresses and stamp them all.

D:

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    About the separate rooms thing: she and I were talking one day about bullshit social norms, like how some people think its odd if you tell them you stayed in most of the weekend and just chilled. We then got to asking why is it that couples have to sleep in the same room together. What if we wanted to relax just by ourselves? So then we were like 'why not?' Its not a damn law. So I got another bed, moved my stuff, and presto there you go.

Its not like we were fighting a lot or anything, we both just acknowledged that we like to 'recharge our batteries' by being in our own space and doing whatever we wanted, without the expectations of another person there. We still spend time and many nights together in a room, watching movies and whatnot, but when one feels like doing their own thing(watching our own stuff, reading, working out, sleeping at odd hours, etc), we'll drift back to our rooms without really talking about or acknowledging it. Its nice and works for us, but understandably others may prefer the same room setup. It depends on the couple.

Separate bathrooms, though, is great for any couple if you have the facilities for it.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    It's really nice to see the guys around here being excited and actively participating in their wedding planning/organizing. So often, men just leave everything up to their soon-to-be-wives. I've never understood that. I mean, if you're sure enough about your relationship to commit to being together forever, I don't understand the checking out of the planning phase. It's YOUR day, too.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    getting married on sunday and we're SO FREAKIN' EXCITED!
    It probably makes it easier and better knowing that you can also remember your wedding anniversary by also remembering The Fragile's release date. Was it a coincidence, or did you actually decide to intentionally make it match its release date? I'm sorry, I just didn't want to resist mentioning it, as its release date will always remind me of when you got married.

And well, congratulations and all the best to you.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    It probably makes it easier and better knowing that you can also remember your wedding anniversary by also remembering The Fragile's release date. Was it a coincidence, or did you actually decide to intentionally make it match its release date? I'm sorry, I just didn't want to resist mentioning it, as its release date will always remind me of when you got married.

And well, congratulations and all the best to you.
    this year, the 21st is the 10th anniversary of my suicide attempt. so it was more about that, and just coincidentally the 15th anniversary of the fragile's release.
    @Sarah K , i have had so much fun doing wedding stuff. we've done most things together, and split the rest about 50/50. our two best friends are in town from the east coast staying with us (and are also standing up in our wedding party) so we're all just chilling out together, watching cartoons right now. it's wonderful. i can't wait for sunday.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    i definitely plan to do this
    yep. Same.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    It's really nice to see the guys around here being excited and actively participating in their wedding planning/organizing. So often, men just leave everything up to their soon-to-be-wives. I've never understood that. I mean, if you're sure enough about your relationship to commit to being together forever, I don't understand the checking out of the planning phase. It's YOUR day, too.
    Wedding planning has been an absolute BLAST so far, I'm not even kidding. I'm looking into designing out formal invitations now and I'm prob going to hit up a friend of mine in Chicago to see if its economically feasible to hand screen print 100 of them.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Apologizing for crappy things my mom said tonight

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire View Post
    This has always occurred to me, especially when I was thinking about things like reading books and playing video games. I also like to collect movies and TV shows sometimes too, so that just adds more reasons as to why I'd like that. (With the exception of the interests being shared, of course.) And then there's more obvious and regular reasons like seeking solitude and relaxation just for yourself, or just having a private place to take a nap and/or clear your mind. Perhaps part of it had to be from me growing up as an only child, and just wanting to do what I want to do, as I was always for that.

I'm just glad that you made this point, as it definitely says it all for some of the things I'd want out of life too.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-21-2014 at 02:14 PM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient02970 View Post
    Apologizing for crappy things my mom said tonight
    Ouch. I hope wasn't anything like how she likes the x wife better.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    This has always occurred to me, especially when I was thinking about things like reading books and playing video games. I also like to collect movies and TV shows sometimes too, so that just adds more reasons as to why I'd like that. (With the exception of the interests being shared, of course.) And then there's more obvious and regular reasons like seeking solitude and relaxation just for yourself, or just having a private place to take a nap and/or clear your mind. Perhaps part of it had to be from me growing up as an only child, and just wanting to do what I want to do, as I was always for that.

I'm just glad that you made this point, as it definitely says it all for some of the things I'd want out of life too.
    Its works for us nicely. Some couples do prefer the same-room thing, but for us this is a neat setup. You know how if you're in the same room with someone, you feel the need to say something, if only to not have silence? Sometimes we just want to, you know, not do that, and just get caught up in our individual interests that relax us.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    we had an incredible wedding. it was so beautiful, so authentic to who we are as people, and so fun. and we both cried way less than we thought we would (though still a lot). i only have a few pictures so far but here are a couple of my favorites.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    @eversonpoe I loved all of the pictures on facebook! A lot of times, I'm really not a fan of wedding dresses. They're just so tacky and over the top. But her dress is absolutely beautiful.You guys look so incredibly happy. The black and white picture looks like a still from a movie. Can't wait to see more pics! Are you taking a trip or anything?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Relationship Thread

Whyyyy do I have to be so goddamn chickenshit?

A little background: I met a guy back in 2012 that I previously mentioned in this thread (the Silver Fox). He and I were incommunicado for most of that year (pretty sure he was seeing someone at that time) until about Halloween when we started talking again. He hit a rough patch at the end of the year, at which point I made it known that I would be there for him whenever he needed me. We've been practically inseparable ever since; we text/call each other every day and hang out whenever the opportunity presents itself. We've even gone out of town together on several occasions.

So here's the dilemma: While what we have is a firmly established friendship (he considers me his best friend and once told me in so many words that I have his complete trust), I would like to try to take it to another level. I just don't know how to broach the subject with him without potentially ruining the bond we currently have.
    Last edited by Eos; 09-25-2014 at 10:54 AM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I wish I'd had a wedding, but my wife didn't want to.

Another fight last night, but we did some patching up this morning.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eos View Post
    Whyyyy do I have to be so goddamn chickenshit?

A little background: I met a guy back in 2012 that I previously mentioned in this thread (the Silver Fox). He and I were incommunicado for most of that year (pretty sure he was seeing someone at that time) until about Halloween when we started talking again. He hit a rough patch at the end of the year, at which point I made it known that I would be there for him whenever he needed me. We've been practically inseparable ever since; we text/call each other every day and hang out whenever the opportunity presents itself. We've even gone out of town together on several occasions.

So here's the dilemma: While what we have is a firmly established friendship (he considers me his best friend and once told me in so many words that I have his complete trust), I would like to try to take it to another level. I just don't know how to broach the subject with him without potentially ruining the bond we currently have.
    I think you just need to sit him down and tell him how you feel. Don't attack him with a wave of emotions just say you like him and you would to take it to the next level (better worded of course). If you have feelings for him it will come out eventually at least this way you can have some control over it instead of some awkward moment. Tell him your friendship means a lot to you but you would like to see if there's anything more. You do risk breaking that bond but we take risks when ever we go into any relationship, romantic or platonic.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @eversonpoe I loved all of the pictures on facebook! A lot of times, I'm really not a fan of wedding dresses. They're just so tacky and over the top. But her dress is absolutely beautiful.You guys look so incredibly happy. The black and white picture looks like a still from a movie. Can't wait to see more pics! Are you taking a trip or anything?
    thank youuuuuu!

wait til you see the first look photos...our photographer said they were the best ones she's ever shot. i had NO IDEA what her dress was going to look like, and the first thing i said was "you look like a fairy queen" which was EXACTLY her goal.

we are going to disney world in february. we took the last three days off for a "mini-moon" which we spent mostly at home, watching tv/movies and relaxing (though we went to a cute little town on tuesday which was really nice).

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @eversonpoe , you had a chuppah??? awesome. mazel tov.

edit: my fave part of Jewish weddings is the sweet table.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-25-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    @eversonpoe , you had a chuppah??? awesome. mazel tov!
    that and smashing the "glasses" (we used light bulbs) were the only jewish elements of the ceremony. we're both atheists but i love the idea of the chuppah representing the home we're building together, and smashing the glass is just fun! our ceremony was awesome and completely devoid of any kind of religious elements and everyone kept telling us how beautiful it was.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    that and smashing the "glasses" (we used light bulbs) were the only jewish elements of the ceremony. we're both atheists but i love the idea of the chuppah representing the home we're building together, and smashing the glass is just fun! our ceremony was awesome and completely devoid of any kind of religious elements and everyone kept telling us how beautiful it was.
    So neither of you are Jewish by blood, either?

I went to a full-blown Jewish wedding, once, where they handed out a program to all the gentiles (there were a LOT of us) because we had no idea what was going on, especially the Ketubah.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    So neither of you are Jewish by blood, either?

I went to a full-blown Jewish wedding, once, where they handed out a program to all the gentiles (there were a LOT of us) because we had no idea what was going on, especially the Ketubah.
    no, i am jewish by blood. and my dad, who had one protestant and one catholic parent but grew up in rogers park and went to temple with all of his jewish friends is arguably more jewish than my mom, but neither of them are really religious. my family treats it more as a cultural thing, but i declared myself an atheist at the age of 10 and have never recanted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Twilight View Post
    I think you just need to sit him down and tell him how you feel. Don't attack him with a wave of emotions just say you like him and you would to take it to the next level (better worded of course). If you have feelings for him it will come out eventually at least this way you can have some control over it instead of some awkward moment. Tell him your friendship means a lot to you but you would like to see if there's anything more. You do risk breaking that bond but we take risks when ever we go into any relationship, romantic or platonic.
    Attacking the guy with a wave of emotions is not going to be a problem; I have an incredibly hard time even outwardly expressing my emotions. Your point about taking risks when entering any kind of relationship is one I hadn't thought of before, which helps me feel a little less nervous about addressing how I feel. Thanks Digital, your input is much appreciated.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eos View Post
    Attacking the guy with a wave of emotions is not going to be a problem; I have an incredibly hard time even outwardly expressing my emotions. Your point about taking risks when entering any kind of relationship is one I hadn't thought of before, which helps me feel a little less nervous about addressing how I feel. Thanks Digital, your input is much appreciated.
    The way I approach things like this now is just just be straightforward. I mean, I dunno how old you are. But I'm at an age where if me telling someone I have feelings for them makes shit weird, then oh well. It probably wasn't a solid friendship anyway. Personally, I would rather take the chance and put my feelings out there than sit and wonder "What if?" forever. I did that way too much when I was younger.

Also, as I approach 30 I know that my uhhh... stock(?lol) is significantly lowered, and my chances are less and less now. And for me to actually develop feelings for someone is rare, as I've kind of been conditioned to NOT do that. So now I'm just like FUCK IT. If I like someone, I'll tell them.
    Last edited by Sarah K; 09-26-2014 at 10:23 AM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Also, as I approach 30 I know that my uhhh... stock(?lol) is significantly lowered, and my chances are less and less now. And for me to actually develop feelings for someone is rare, as I've kind of been conditioned to NOT do that. So now I'm just like FUCK IT. If I like someone, I'll tell them.
    I think I disagree with this. More good people are "taken", perhaps. But in their 30s people tend to know more what they want, have less time and tolerance for bullshit and games. I've found things easier than in my 20s where it seems like everyone is walking around with their head spinning not knowing what's going on: people are less likely to be rattled by certainty about what you want, more clear-headed about what they want, and more mature in general.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The way I approach things like this now is just just be straightforward. I mean, I dunno how old you are. But I'm at an age where if me telling someone I have feelings for them makes shit weird, then oh well. It probably wasn't a solid friendship anyway. Personally, I would rather take the chance and put my feelings out there than sit and wonder "What if?" forever. I did that way too much when I was younger.

Wheedling around and trying to gauge whether something could happen as opposed to being straightforward was my MO for years (I'm 31 now and I really regret wasting so much time with that approach). It's high time to see how the "Fuck it" approach pans out. He and I are going on a road trip to Phoenix in a few days; I'm thinking about letting him know how I feel towards the end of that trip or in the days after.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I think I disagree with this. More good people are "taken", perhaps. But in their 30s people tend to know more what they want, have less time and tolerance for bullshit and games. I've found things easier than in my 20s where it seems like everyone is walking around with their head spinning not knowing what's going on: people are less likely to be rattled by certainty about what you want, more clear-headed about what they want, and more mature in general.
    I agree with this. People are much more straightforward now. Which is good. I just meant in general, as women age, we typically become less desirable. As men age, they become more desirable - well into their 40s. Granted, this is mainly in the physical sense. But we are usually attracted to looks before we have an opportunity to be drawn to anything else.

I'm thankful that people at this age are slightly better about being honest. Because I hate people wasting my time. And I don't want anyone to feel like I'm wasting theirs, either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree with this. People are much more straightforward now. Which is good. I just meant in general, as women age, we typically become less desirable. As men age, they become more desirable - well into their 40s. Granted, this is mainly in the physical sense. But we are usually attracted to looks before we have an opportunity to be drawn to anything else.

I'm thankful that people at this age are slightly better about being honest. Because I hate people wasting my time. And I don't want anyone to feel like I'm wasting theirs, either.
    Well, women typically become less desirable to the age group in which they're interested. I have a couple of online dating profiles that I check occasionally, and all the messages I get are from dudes who are either old enough to be my dad or barely old enough to buy me a drink in a bar. And they never actually read my profiles, but I digress.

I have no idea why I was freaking out, you guys. The more I read the thread and all the excellent points in it, the more it reminds me that I'm not dealing with a kid. So thank you, fabulous ETS peeps, for helping me to not be so damn neurotic.