Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Joker

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Go to about 8:00 if you wanna feel the most awkward you've felt in a few days...

That interview could have easily been staged. Don't forget, this is the guy who did I'm Still Here.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Perhaps, though a lot of times shows/hosts will reach out to others to get something when a guest is on...i.e. Kimmel's show could've easily reached out to Todd Phillips' people to get that clip without Joaquin knowing. It happens all the time on talk shows.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    It changes the narrative - they're not talking about the Incel stuff which Joaquin obviously doesn't want to discuss and makes for an amusing interview.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    There's a bit of of an echo of Christian Bale in Terminator Salvation in that clip. Joaquin Phoenix can be intense and unpredictable during filming. He is somewhat Method in his approach to a character.

He spoke at the Toronto international film festival and he thanked his brother River, saying that it was him who pushed him to go back into acting. He said he feels he owes his career to River. I would be very upset if all the bullshit surrounding Joker were to distract viewers from Joaquin's performance, especially if it is as amazing as word says it is. It took a long time for him to go from being River's brother, that poor kid who made the heartbreaking 911 call while watching him die on a nightclub's sidewalk, to finally being an acclaimed actor in his own right.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I'm still feeling torn here....

I get it. I don't like censorship. I want to see this.

I don't want to give incel's something to make them feel justified in becoming violent.

If an incel is looking for understanding, they might see themselves in the movie and feel more accepted. Acceptance is probably the underlying need that's not being met that's leading them to joining the incel community.

But we've all felt rejected and mocked and beaten down at points in our lives. Joker is violent. Incel's have been violent.

There have been a lot of movies and tv shows about rejected and powerless individuals turning violent. How is this movie going to tell that story differently?

How is putting this movie out right now the responsible thing to do?

I don't know....I don't have answers, I just understand both sides of this argument.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Probably because it's a movie and they wanted to release it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Not really concerned with any controversy or whatever. Got my center-middle IMAX tickets for Friday night. Pumped.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    The more shit I read about this film the more pumped I am to see it. Going to hit the cinema next Tuesday/Wednesday all being well.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    I'm still feeling torn here....

I get it. I don't like censorship. I want to see this.

I don't want to give incel's something to make them feel justified in becoming violent.

If an incel is looking for understanding, they might see themselves in the movie and feel more accepted. Acceptance is probably the underlying need that's not being met that's leading them to joining the incel community.

But we've all felt rejected and mocked and beaten down at points in our lives. Joker is violent. Incel's have been violent.

There have been a lot of movies and tv shows about rejected and powerless individuals turning violent. How is this movie going to tell that story differently?

How is putting this movie out right now the responsible thing to do?

I don't know....I don't have answers, I just understand both sides of this argument.
    Don't let yourself get affected by fearmongers. They've always blamed "dark" "violent" art to whatever happens in society. Sick people are sick and will have breadcrumbs leading to whatever, from The Beatles to Catcher in the Rye to Manson to GTA to whatever. Art and freedom to express it is never the cause for shit happening in society.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    There have been a lot of movies and tv shows about rejected and powerless individuals turning violent.
    Yep, and how many people went apeshit after seeing those films and committed violent acts? Not too many. Stories like that are as old as storytelling. Why should this film in particular be held responsible?

I just want to point out that nobody was talking about any of this when the film was announced way back when. It's only in the past couple months that the media has latched on to the idea that this film is going to trigger violence and sold that idea as an inevitability. Like I said, if anyone decides to do something stupid, I'm going to blame them for pushing the idea, not the film itself. Of course, the media will take absolutely no responsibility for it if it does happen. They'll blame art...as always.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This is pretty damn cool.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Let’s just watch it, unafraid that some incel dick with body armor is going to storm the theater and murder you, and THEN have an opinion. I’m seeing it tonight

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    On the radio, they said more NYC cops will be out in uniform and plain-clothing to ensure everyone's safety.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Any excuse to fearmonger citizens with the insane police state we esp. have here in NYC! And of course put in more overtime!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    My favorite movie of the year, not a contest. Groundbreaking look on mental illness, not only fantastic comic book movie, but fantastic movie in general. I would hesitate to even call it comic book movie, because there is very little comic book stuff in it and I honestly wouldn't mind if it wasn't there at all. They could easily just call this movie Arthur and I would love it all the same. There's not as much violence as you might expect, but some scenes I almost forgot to breathe how tense it was. Don't remember the last time I felt so uneasy during a movie. Phoenix's performance is transformative, this is his movie, there's barely a scene without him and he deserves all the praise, all the noms and all the awards.

All the incel shit you reading about is ridiculous, don't trust movie reviewers with obvious agendas who gave this movie sub par ratings because it sends "the wrong message". This movie is a masterpiece and Phoenix's performance will be talked years later same as Ledger was.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I'm seeing it tomorrow and see for myself...much like everyone i guess (early screening so less chance of someone being a dick...i always manage to find one screening a month with one!). Saying that it's a busy month of films, lots for me to be seeing!

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Part of me can't help wondering if the controversy around this movie was just some viral marketing shit from WB, just them trying to hype this movie up by making it look edgy and "dangerous."

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Doubtful. It's because we're currently in 2019 where literally everything will be hated on for literally any reason you can think of. Social media. Everyone has a voice now so you've got a billion people all screaming at the same time. Nothing new.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Release date is here and no gun violence has occurred. No bombs detonated. No fistfights either.

Gee, what a surprise.

Seeing it next weekend with the girl I've been seeing. cannot wait.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I'm sure the movie is fine but I 100% take issue that with the notion that it's a "groundbreaking look at mental Illness"

If anything putting that on the joker reinforces the worst notions and stereotypes of mental illness

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    It's groundbreaking in a sense this isn't a topic discussed very often in blockbuster movies. Joker's mental illness is front and center of a story here. I think it's great how the movie criticized lack of help for these people, you could argue none of this would have happen if social services have been properly funded and Arthur got the help he needed. Bringing this issue to the mainstream audience is great. Not exactly sure what stereotypes should portrayal of Joker's illness reinforce in me.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I went to see it and I thought it was remarkable. I look forward to seeing it again.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Just got done seeing the film. I did enjoy it, but I wouldn’t say it was my favorite film of the year. Just my 2 cents. I do think Phoenix deserves nominations for his portrayal though, he was fantastic. Overall I give a solid B+.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    It was a good movie. Nearly great. Although... too much dancing, not nearly enough prancing.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Loved the movie. There’s a lot to take in and think about. I really enjoyed the score as well- whenever Arthur was dancing, it seemed as if the Joker persona was taking over. It was weird and crystallizing and eerie all at the same time. I like that the film constantly played with the audience’s heads to the point where by the end nobody is really sure of the extent of what did or didn’t happen.

Spoiler: Also loved that the violence incited by Arthur also led to the creation of his arch nemesis.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I thought it was great, though it really shadowed Taxi Driver pretty hard and it might have dragged in some spots. I think the controversy is unfounded; this isn't a sympathetic character.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The craft of this film is undeniable (and I have a bit of a time tough time saying that when the director is Todd Phillips). While technical and acting merits may be exceptional, I'm hoping I'm not the only one with this pet-peeve/criticism/nitpick: it's not nearly as funny as it should be.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I've done my mini review so i'll keep this short. It's a good film and Phoenix deserves all the praise for the roll, and i like how it's in many ways an origin film for how Gotham got to the state it was...but i really don't think this is a good version of the 'Joker' character. I'll keep it spoiler free but the more i thought about it the more i just can't see this version of Mr J given ANY version of Batman any trouble, or this version even caring about Bats in any meaningful way, and the film would have been better served if it just Spoiler: removed all references to the Waynes and Bruce (i didn't need to see the Waynes death AGAIN) the more they did it the more i kept being reminded of Batman...and it hurt the overall film for me! I did get a cool holographic poster though.

Good film, not nearly as good as the hype (not even my fav DC movie this year) and not my most liked version of the character...but worth seeing.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    just came back from seeing it with my gf. thought it was...ok. the more we talked about it afterwards, the more I realized I wasn't crazy for it. preferred the first half over the second half.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Believe the hype, This film was raw.