12 Post(s)

December 2015

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)

this is now my favorite song of all time, pretty much instantly.
    and jesus christ, it has maynard in it.
    how in the hell have i missed this?

it's kind of liike Bowie, NIN, and APC together
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-24-2016 at 08:14 AM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    this has been making the rounds lately, and gives me chills:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03g18sx

visconti, upon transferring digital tapes of heroes, isolates each track and dissects every individual sound that makes the song what it is. lots of seemingly broken and "wrong" techniques = absolute magic.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    this has been making the rounds lately, and gives me chills:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03g18sx

visconti, upon transferring digital tapes of heroes, isolates each track and dissects every individual sound that makes the song what it is. lots of seemingly broken and "wrong" techniques = absolute magic.
    so "standing by the wall" and "we kissed as though nothing could fall" is about Tony kissing the backup singer. crazy

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Not really news, but here is the CoS article about all the posthumous recordings that we're going to get, the first next year...

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i KNEW he would have albums come out posthumously

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    To be fair, the articles that state this mention anthologies. Which is nothing new in regards to Bowie (though I imagine there will be a few unreleased bits on them).

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintNoir View Post
    To be fair, the articles that state this mention anthologies. Which is nothing new in regards to Bowie (though I imagine there will be a few unreleased bits on them).
    That's why I said it's not really 'news' per se, hahaha. Though it could mean bonus tracks.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 12:20 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I KNOW that bowie will have NEW music come out. i just know it.

So i watched a reality tour, and good god, bowie has been thinking about dying for awhile

that last run of tracks-Bring Me the Disco King, Slip Away, Heathen, Five Years....
    He even has the bass player "leading him away" at one point.
    i think it was a premature goodbye.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    it seems a bit unfortunate that there will be more anthologies considering nothing has changed was conceived (likely during his illness) as the final say on the matter. i am all for the vaults, though. so many things i'd love to hear that have been hinted at, including the original man who fell to earth soundtrack, the delicate outtakes from low (likely in the same vein as 'some are'), the 90s attempts at 'bring me the disco king' (black tie and earthling), any early stripped down versions of 'loving the alien' and so on and so forth.

also, this may belong in the shoegaze/dreampop thread, but this made me chuckle a little bit (even though i love these bands):

http://www.creation-records.com/not-...a-david-bowie/

"thanks for the tape of shitty music, you twat, here's a jigsaw puzzle and some steve reich. bowie out."

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 12:20 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    So that tumblr that people thought was ran by David just confirmed that it wasn't ran by David. I really don't know why people ever thought it in the first place.
    http://thevillaoformen.tumblr.com/

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    People want to believe, I guess. He did have regular email and PM communications with fans on various Bowie message boards in the late 1990s up until about 2013, though.

http://dokearney.blogspot.com/2016/0...iful-exit.html

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    On the live by request show, the host, after discussing bowie's many characters, asks him "so do you feel more like David bowie now?" and bowie replied "actually i feel like Jonesy"

i thought it was really cool

oh and if you haven't seen it
    he takes requests. it's lovely

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    People want to believe, I guess. He did have regular email and PM communications with fans on various Bowie message boards in the late 1990s up until about 2013, though.

http://dokearney.blogspot.com/2016/0...iful-exit.html
    this was sweet. i haven't spoken with dara in years. my first messageboard was teenage wildlife way back in the early days of the internet where this blogger used to post regularly. db did occasionally pop in, yes. often under the nickname sailor (though likely under others). he was always enigmatic and you couldn't be totally sure, but i really enjoyed the idea of it.

Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    it's lovely
    this is where the five year old called in, no? i saw that clip as part of a 'funny moments' compilation recently, and i kinda lost it during that segment. "hi david bowie" - "i'll call you later."

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    it seems a bit unfortunate that there will be more anthologies considering nothing has changed was conceived (likely during his illness) as the final say on the matter.
    It was conceived as a best-of compilation, not the be-all end-all. I think the 3-disc version is great, the others are kind of meh. More anthologies like the Five Years 1969-1973 box set are probably what he has signed off on releasing, and there's nothing unreleased on that. According to the man who ran his catalogue there are more of the same kind of releases happening through 2018.
    Last edited by botley; 01-24-2016 at 12:38 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    five years (the cd edition, at least) *did* have that original 'holy holy' on it, first time it was available since the 7'' fell out of print in the early 70s... not the most amazing recording, but it was something obscure, at the very least.

@BenAkenobi - i'd personally say sound and vision is better for hardcore fans, mostly for unearthing a lot of great, rare, and unheard material, in cahoots with the rest of the rykodisc reissues. at the time of its release (1989), it was a godsend, since bowie is known for keeping a closely guarded vault. as a best-of it only covers the 70s into scary monsters, so it's flawed in that aspect. i suppose the four disc reissue makes up for that a bit, but still isn't definitive.

there are some great tracks on nothing has changed, some great gems and obscurities, especially on the three disc version. i actually love the idea of the backwards chronological aspect, giving heavy weight to his latter day stuff. it's definitely the better standalone retrospective and covers something from every era, but otherwise, the radio edits are often inferior and cut out a lot of the magic for me, though your mileage may vary. the only single version i've found to be an improvement over the album mix is 'loving the alien.'
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 01-24-2016 at 04:04 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    this was sweet. i haven't spoken with dara in years. my first messageboard was teenage wildlife way back in the early days of the internet where this blogger used to post regularly. db did occasionally pop in, yes. often under the nickname sailor (though likely under others). he was always enigmatic and you couldn't be totally sure, but i really enjoyed the idea of it.

this is where the five year old called in, no? i saw that clip as part of a 'funny moments' compilation recently, and i kinda lost it during that segment. "hi david bowie" - "i'll call you later."
    I may still have the a&e special on dvd, along the with extensive episode of "Biography" that aired beforehand. I remember people on ets speculating if Trent would show up to perform with Bowie, heh.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    It was conceived as a best-of compilation, not the be-all end-all. I think the 3-disc version is great, the others are kind of meh...
    What do you think is better - N.H.C. or Sound & Vision?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    have you guys seen this?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yeah, I remember when it was it was first released. I thought it was pretty neat. There's a 360 video somewhere.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    ok, what all documentaries are there?
    i've seen this Sound and Vision, but i'm watching it again. i've seen cracked actor. @orestes , you mentioned an A and E Biography segment?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    What do you think is better - N.H.C. or Sound & Vision?
    Three-disc Nothing Has Changed. It has tracks from Toy, for crying out loud. But I also bought "After Today" on iTunes 'cause S+V is the only place to get that track.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    is it just me, or did david have eyes for gail anne dorsey?

it's just the way they look at each other sometimes

edit: i'm just waiting for the facepalms. i know this isn't tmz. but i'm curious, damnit, and i don't know any hardcore bowie fans other than you people.
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-24-2016 at 04:24 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    visconti breaks down "heroes" multitracks http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03g18sx

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    visconti breaks down "heroes" multitracks http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03g18sx
    posted a page or two back, but it's really something! i love old string synths, personally. the solo fripp tracks are really interesting as well. i remember seeing the handwritten lyrics on paper as part of the david bowie is... exhibit when i was in toronto and i teared up while looking at it. they also had eno's suitcase synth.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 01-24-2016 at 04:28 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Do you guys like the movie Absolute Beginners?
    i love it, despite its bad reviews.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    ok, what all documentaries are there?
    i've seen this Sound and Vision, but i'm watching it again. i've seen cracked actor. @orestes , you mentioned an A and E Biography segment?
    Yeah, it was a night of programming dedicated to Bowie. A two-hour episode of "Biography", narrated by Eddie Izzard, followed by "Live by Request", if memory serves me right.