Page 86 of 527 FirstFirst ... 36 76 84 85 86 87 88 96 136 186 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,580 of 15809

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    @henryeatscereal - Which albums did you have her listen to first? Broken, The Downward Spiral, and The Fragile would often be my first choices in a case like that. And then perhaps Pretty Hate Machine and With Teeth later on.

Oh yeah, I was also one of them too. Thankfully, I met a friend in high school that had me listen to Pretty Hate Machine through The Fragile. (It wasn't exactly in chronological order, but it was all those albums, as it happened in late 2002.)

And what a coincidence, as I became a NIN fan just a month or two before the old ETS opened up shop. It still would've been cool if I was a fan from at least 1994-1997 though. I wish. -Since I would've only been around 3 to 7 in from the Pretty Hate Machine to Broken era.-
    The first album i played to her was "The Downward Spiral" and officially her fist favorite song was "Heresy" (she f'n hates the church lol!), from there i played her "Pretty Hate Machine" and "Ghosts", i want her to listen to The Fragile but she says she needs more time to digest the other stuff... lol

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I would definitely go for Broken and Pretty Hate Machine next. They'd be a lot more easier to digest than The Fragile. But if she was also a huge fan of Mechanical Animals, she just can't go wrong with Pretty Hate Machine and The Fragile. However, I'd still think Broken is the next best choice for a first-time listener that checked out The Downward Spiral and actually liked it.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I would definitely go for Broken and Pretty Hate Machine next. They'd be a lot more easier to digest than The Fragile. But if she was also a huge fan of Mechanical Animals, she just can't go wrong with Pretty Hate Machine and The Fragile. However, I'd still think Broken is the next best choice for a first-time listener that checked out The Downward Spiral and actually liked it.
    She loves "Antichrist Superstar" that's why i played her "TDS", but oddly she's not that "heavy" she's moodier and post punk (She loves the Cure...), so i think "Pretty Hate Machine" or even "With Teeth" suits her better, she also like "electro-alternative" bands like LCD Soundsystem, Jusice or Daft Punk... so i think she might like "Hesitation Marks" too!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    the audiophile version of hm is really, really good. also, trent's the only musician that maintained artistic cred from his era.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    @henryeatscereal - Just knowing that she loves Antichrist Superstar gives me this great hunch that she'd also love Broken, but from what you told me, I wouldn't just go straight to Last or Happiness In Slavery right away then. You could try your luck with Wish and Gave Up. (And if you feel like it, you could also show her the Gave Up video where Marilyn Manson pretended to play guitar.) Oh yeah, and Starfuckers, Inc. too, the live show with Marilyn Manson and the actual music video. And from the sound of this, Year Zero would seem to be another album she'd most likely get into as well.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    @henryeatscereal - Just knowing that she loves Antichrist Superstar gives me this great hunch that she'd also love Broken, but from what you told me, I wouldn't just go straight to Last or Happiness In Slavery right away then. You could try your luck with Wish and Gave Up. (And if you feel like it, you could also show her the Gave Up video where Marilyn Manson pretended to play guitar.) Oh yeah, and Starfuckers, Inc. too, the live show with Marilyn Manson and the actual music video. And from the sound of this, Year Zero would seem to be another album she'd most likely get into as well.
    I agree man,i would go for the electronic stuff over the guitar stuff, yet "Starfuckers Inc" is a song she might dig!

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I sometimes find myself feeling a flip-side to some NIN songs, as little positive reminders on how to take things or what not to do. I just noticed that Every Day Is Exactly The Same helps when it comes to reminding me to take things one day at a time.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Ghosts I-IV live really should be a thing.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raygunprimed View Post
    Ghosts I-IV live really should be a thing.
    Totally, I think a medley of stuff from that album should happen.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Was there ever a general thread for The Fragile? I really hope so. Damn, 14 years old. Today.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    And behold. The Fragile era commercials in all their glory.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I just can't believe I never posted this, considering I that was aware that Trent used to be a janitor. There really is a squeaky part of Only that sounds like mopping with a mop bucket cart, or mop trolley.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mop_bucket_cart

Listen to Only, and think of a mop bucket cart with squeaky wheels, or squeaky noises made from scrubbing certain surfaces and messes.

It seems to first appear at the 29 second mark of the music video. And if you just want to hear it on a loop, you can hear it in this YTMND. It was a part of The YTMND Loop Project at the time. (So it's not a parody or a joke, just a loop.)

http://dsloop3.ytmnd.com/

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure that's the sound of the bass player's hand sliding up and down the neck. I replicated it pretty easily when I learned the bassline a few years ago.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Oh yes, and not to say that's what it actually was. It only randomly popped up in my head when I thought about Trent being a janitor back in the day.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Don't know how we came to it but a friend of mine asked what if Trent's emo hairstyle in 2005 was part of a marketing scheme, like a link from old to new Trent? Just picture fans going crazy with him all bulked up AND a short haircut (e.g that photo from tokyo in 2005 on nin.com)? Makes sense considering he radically cut his hair after the club tour in 2005.

Nothing really discussion worthy though, just a random NIN thought. Trent is Trent and fairly good at that. :P

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Don't know how we came to it but a friend of mine asked what if Trent's emo hairstyle in 2005 was part of a marketing scheme, like a link from old to new Trent? Just picture fans going crazy with him all bulked up AND a short haircut (e.g that photo from tokyo in 2005 on nin.com)? Makes sense considering he radically cut his hair after the club tour in 2005.

Nothing really discussion worthy though, just a random NIN thought. Trent is Trent and fairly good at that. :P
    Trent has had weird hair before, the PHM era comes to mind...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post

I remember in an interview around the time WT was released Trent made a statement regarding something about the actual packaging of the album changing over time. I remember thinking to myself how silly that statement was at the time, because how is my digipack cd package going to change? A couple years later I looked back at it and I understood what he meant. Does anyone have the time to find the quote I'm speaking of?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhat_ View Post
    I remember in an interview around the time WT was released Trent made a statement regarding something about the actual packaging of the album changing over time. I remember thinking to myself how silly that statement was at the time, because how is my digipack cd package going to change? A couple years later I looked back at it and I understood what he meant. Does anyone have the time to find the quote I'm speaking of?
    I could be wrong but I thought there was supposed to be extra With Teeth content that was able to download and they were going to have this exclusive stuff that you were able to keep adding to your collection...I think it was supposed to connect into the loose "concept" feel of With Teeth.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    This is a random Nine Inch Nails thought that includes Tool, and other musicians with extensive hiatuses. Whatever gap between 10,000 Days and the new album will certainly make the gaps between The Downward Spiral, The Fragile, and With Teeth look like little vacations. Granted, Tool hasn't reached the point of having a hiatus like Guns N' Roses, Enya, or Kate Bush, but it really makes me wonder. If Tool came out with an album this year, or at least before this year ends, it would sort of be like Killing Joke's hiatus between Democracy and their second self-titled album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    and the new album from The trent and his power struggle Band

"mINd Kampf"

yes mind kampf the album weve been waiting for all these years has finally arrived.

we don't seem to mind.

wait apparenty he already came out with one.

Oh TR, still trying to kill us all.
    Last edited by heroicraptor; 09-22-2013 at 11:06 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stupidisasstupider View Post

"mINd Kampf"

yes mind kampf the album weve been waiting for all these years has finally arrived.

we don't seem to mind.
    wait apparenty he already came out with one.

Oh TR, still trying to kill us all.
    Are you even speaking English?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

"mINd Kampf"

we don't seem to mind.
    Oh! I get it!

Sorry, I thought that would work. What the hell are you on about?

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    If most or even all of The Downward Spiral sounded like Closer and A Warm Place, it probably could've been Pretty Hate Machine 2.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Didn't think this was enough of a "spotting" to be a post in NIN Spotting...

I'm taking a History of Women in Rock Music class, and I remembered just now that earlier today, my instructor got on the topic of how great covers can reinterpret/enhance the original song. Well, she brought up a certain Johnny Cash cover she couldn't remember the name of involving a needle...I raised my hand and reminded her of the name. She loves the cover (and she knew it was a cover of course), so I assume she's heard the original, too. I thought it was a pretty cool moment. It really is interesting to hear what a good cover of something can do to add a whole new level of greatness to the song.

...so, maybe a spotting/random NIN thought hybrid.
    Last edited by Yoshata; 09-24-2013 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Derp

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    http://www.stereogum.com/1467231/tre...nt/ghostsi-iv/

Reznor even took part in the re-mixing himself: Some bits of Ghosts later became songs on The Social Network and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo soundtracks.
    I thought only TSN contained Ghosts parts?

EDIT: Also, the writer seems to believe Meathead's Discipline video was official.
    Last edited by wizfan; 09-24-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    A Thousand Details slightly resembles 32 Ghosts IV, but I wouldn't say anything is sampled there. Other than that I have no idea.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    http://www.stereogum.com/1467231/tre...nt/ghostsi-iv/

EDIT: Also, the writer seems to believe Meathead's Discipline video was official.
    indeed, "A Familiar Taste" is a remix of Ghosts 35, and "Magnetic" is a remix of Ghosts 14.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Last night, my sister sent me this cute GIF of Peanuts-style Harry Potter tricking Snape:

My Mom saw it and thought it was Rob tricking Trent. I don't know that Rob wears glasses, but she doesn't know that either.
    Last edited by Yoshata; 09-24-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Black Noise would sound like a cool name for an energy drink or beer.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    First time listening to Ghosts in about three years. 13 totally reminds me of my ex from the era, after all these years.