Page 118 of 154 FirstFirst ... 18 68 108 116 117 118 119 120 128 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,540 of 4609

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Just watched King Ralph for the first time in at least 15 years. That movie is criminally underrated.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Stranger Things 3 (two episodes in, so far so good), and also BBC The Planets - magnificient! (I like Brian Cox documentaries)
    https://www.bbcearth.com/theplanets

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    There's a new series on Amazon Prime, called Too Old To Die Young. Each of its 10 episodes is written AND directed by Niclas Winding Refn. It stars Miles Teller and is highly stylized, a typical Refn affair. I love it and I think it's the best show since the return of Twin Peaks.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    There's a new series on Amazon Prime, called Too Old To Die Young. Each of its 10 episodes is written AND directed by Niclas Winding Refn. It stars Miles Teller and is highly stylized, a typical Refn affair. I love it and I think it's the best show since the return of Twin Peaks.

Just finished it and I am not sure what to think of it. Stylish - yes, some good ideas - sure, but man, was it slow and bleak.

Any idea if there will be a second season?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Yeah, it was bleak and slow, but it also had some very strong social/political undertones... with the way Diana and Yaritza were portrayed, the speeches they (or Viggo) gave, the stuff that was frequently coming from the car radio (and resembled some Alex Jones type) whenever someone was driving.

But I felt there were some really funny and hilarious moments in there, too.

And it had some moments for the ages... for example when Spoiler: Viggo rained down on the trailer park like an atom bomb or Spoiler: the car chase scene from episode 5. It felt very "Lynch-y" at times as well...

I'm not counting on a second season... just look with how little fanfare Amazon was promoting it in the end.

Btw. here's a great interview with Refn about the show:

Last edited by r_z; 07-10-2019 at 05:40 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Really intruiged to see that show, looks very cool but I haven't had the time to watch these long episodes and if I do, I want to see them in a row.

I also don't get why people have the urge to read so much into Refn's work like the Neon Demon. Why can't things be stylish and arty for the sake of it? I enjoy looking at these long ass meditations of his. Dude's got style and I dig it.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I got a kick out of Suspiria (2018.)

I have NOT seen the original, but, i loved this one, as it is a competent art house horror movie, that's actually pretty fucking scary.
    Such things are few and far between.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I got a kick out of Suspiria (2018.)

I have NOT seen the original, but, i loved this one, as it is a competent art house horror movie, that's actually pretty fucking scary.
    Such things are few and far between.
    Great movie. And the score! Magnifique!

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Ughh, what a let down Toy Story 4 was. Jokes on me for thinking that Rotten Tomatoes can always be trusted. It's not a shit movie per se, and a Pixar animation could never go below 5/10 because it so damn good, that it's a joy to watch. The story had some nice elements, like the lessons learned and morals, there were a few genuine laughing out loud moments, and the fork guy was 10/10.

But there is no way the same people made the stories and jokes of episode 3 and 4. Maybe the only reason I was disappointed in this episode was that the last one had no right being as amazing as it was. Anway, I don't want my money back, and it's great that maybe a new generation can experience the joy of the series, but I'm not sure if I want them to continue the saga. Not that I wouldn't watch ep 5-6-7... anyway, but I suppose you are better off eventually ending it, right?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    the new Lion King movie doesn't deserve a thread of its own. FUCK THIS MOVIE. Jesus... What an incredibly horrible film.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

my wife had never seen this and it seemed like a perfect friday night movie...oh my god it still holds up, it's still endlessly amusing, and it's just...it's perfect. i love it. she loved it. i felt like a little kid again.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I never got the unanimous hate for Last Action Hero

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    It's a stupid 90's kids movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger in it. I enjoy it. It's not my favorite film by him but it's far from unwatchable like people act like.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Been watching Justified, just burned through Ozarks while pet sitting. Having Netflix access doesn't suck. About to watch The Dirt.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    watched Wine Country on Netflix. It's uneven and nothing mindblowing, but everyone is likable and there's enough humor to make it worth it if you wanted some light fare. Poehler's directorial debut.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Man, Diamond Dave just goes, and goes, and goes, and goes...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Three episodes in and it's awesome.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    shouldn't the dude in black be a little...taller? Like maybe 2-3 inches? Or is it explained in-show?

Also how much of the comic run does the show cover? Does that height difference matter in season 1?

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I've been binge-watching Alvin and the Chipmunks so much this year. It actually started because I wanted to check out the 4 movies that came out from 2007-2015. After hearing how bad they were, morbid curiosity and nostalgia got the best of me, and I was sucked in. This lead me to watch the 2015 series and the 1983 series.

However, even though I've been aware of the 2015 series over the past few years, I was shocked that it even came back as a series on Nickelodeon, which prompted me to revisit the 1983 version. A few episodes deep and it was actually so much better than I remembered it. As a child, I didn't know that the show was from the 1980s. I didn't really grow up with Internet as a kid, nor was there any Wikipedia to go to even if I had it. I'm so thankful that it was re-run so many times over in the 1990s, especially on Cartoon Network and it just reminded me why I watched the 1983 series religiously almost every day, if not week or month when it was on. It was also pretty much my introduction to rock and pop way, way, way before I ever got into music in 1999, and I certainly always enjoyed their covers, even more so these days since I'm more aware of the references, especially with the ease of looking them up these days too. It also wasn't too long until I also checked out The Chipmunk Adventure, released in 1987 that sealed the deal as far as my reintroduction to my fandom in 2019.

As far as the movies went, I could see why they were cringe in some aspects, but it didn't take long for them to grow on me, since Alvin shows in general are meant to venture into the silly and absurd sides of comedy anyway. This was when I was also reminded that there was also an original 1962 series that was The Alvin Show. While I also ended up enjoying the 2015 series, I just loved how moving the 1983 series was, because much to my surprise, and perhaps from me forgetting after not seeing the 1983 series since the early 2000s, was that it still sometimes tugs on my heartstrings. Simon and Jeanette are still among my most favorite characters, and makes me thankful that they added The Chipettes. (I still like them all, but Simon and Jeanette, are kind of why I like Donatello from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.)

I still hope that the 1983 series comes out on DVD as a proper release, season by season individually or even as a box-set, but it seems to be suffering from the same exact fate as Beavis and Butt-Head did, due to licensing from too many cover songs/general copyright issues over songs. At least the 2015 series is available on DVD, but it's just clearly not the same. At the very least, the 1983 series has DVDs, but only as compilations of episodes, which is tantamount to only finding compilation albums when you're actually just searching for the regular albums.

I also got around to revisiting Toy Story upon realizing that Toy Story 4 became a thing. I was shocked to just know that there was an actual Toy Story in 2019, considering how I forgot that Toy Story was even a thing long after the 1990s. So by then I caught up with Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3. I'm not much of a movie-goer though, so I figured I'd at least just wait until Toy Story 4 come outs for a home video release.

I also still check out Arthur as well. It's one of those show to me that's sometimes funny in different ways as an adult, and I have often enjoyed most of the topics they bring up even until now. I also still have to remind myself that it's still going on. I can't believe it's almost 23 years of Arthur.

I also definitely don't have much to say about Kitchen Nightmares and Hotel Hell right now, but sometimes I actually watch both shows when I'm hungry, and it's also quite the spectacle to see Gordon Ramsay's reactions, opinions and overall input and efforts to do his best to help. Although, the conflicts also make the show. I also appreciated it, as it got me to see the Gordon Ramsay outside of Hell's Kitchen, while giving me a better understanding as to why Hell's Kitchen is set up the way it is.

I also forgot to mention that I got into Harry Potter over the past few years. It actually started with The Philosopher's Stone and The Goblet of Fire and then the rest was history. After that, I have considered reading all of the 7 books some day.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 08-09-2019 at 06:19 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    also just finished:

Streep was fantastic (duh). Her passive aggressiveness is unrivaled. Dern & Witherspoon got all the greatest lines again like last season. The court stuff in the last two episodes was so goofy and unrealistic, but we got good performances out of it at least. Sets up a season 3 very well at the end. Good luck getting all these big time actresses together again though.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

revisiting some classic cartoons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Saw The Lion King with the lady yesterday and was very impressed with the movie. Of course the whole undertaking is absolutely unnecesary as it is indeed a near shot-to-shot remake of the animated classic. While they changed some things for good, a lot of the humour was left out, which is understandable with some iconic lines missing which is sad (many Hollywood-movie references the elder people back in 1994 enjoyed). The pictures of course are totally insane and I was in awe the whole time. The voice cast did great as well and the musical numbers were integrated rather respectfully.

BUT: Fuck Beyonce. Seriously. This lady stuck out like a sore thumb and the inclusion of her new "song" was baffling. What a piece of commercial garbage (yeah it's Disney, I get it...), but that was utterly lame. Yet, in the end it's been my favorite "real life" adaption out of them all.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Vice is a surprisingly watchable movie, and I'm glad they at least tried to humanize Cheney. I mean, he came over just as cool as a monster, so - especially in this political climate - I call it fair representation.

The movie itself had some weird pacing issues, and the jokes were sometimes too much. The Shakespearean bedroom scene was awful, just like the shots showing us how Cheney was fishing with Bush. If you have an actor like Christian Bale, you can let him do the acting without shoving down such obvious things on our throats. Anyway, I understand that the movie wanted to be very self-aware, so it doesn't end up as a borefest, and I appreciated some of the humor, like the credits fake out.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    This article is a pretty definitive tome on all the problems it had during production, into the over-bloated promotion, and the studio putting it up against Jurassic Park to the displeasure of pretty much everyone else including the star and director.

I like the movie a lot, but I really love the soundtrack. Michael Kamen's score particularly.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

By no means a perfect film, but anytime I come across this like I did today I always stick around for everything from pretty much this scene on.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    since i'm still stuck at home with illness/injury, i started watching Westworld today (at the suggestion of @ItsChrisRoss - thank you!) and i'm on track to finish the entire first season before i go to sleep tonight

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    since i'm still stuck at home with illness/injury, i started watching Westworld today (at the suggestion of @ItsChrisRoss - thank you!) and i'm on track to finish the entire first season before i go to sleep tonight
    Dude yes!!! Are you loving it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Just finished watching "Pokemon: Detective Pikachu"... a nice, cute, movie. Seemed a bit rushed in the story for the length of the movie. The onion lizard puppies (Bulbsaur's) made the cutest sound.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    My 100% favorite part of the movie was sad Pikachu. Just listening to him sing that song was hilarious.

However, I was the only person laughing at that scene in the theater. My son just looked at me like I had lost my mind.