Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: 2013.08.02 - Chicago, Illinois @ Lollapalooza

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rob has said that they use several kinects on stage for "real-time" images during the show.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
    Rob has said that they use several kinects on stage for "real-time" images during the show.
    Ah, I hadn't looked at Rob's Twitter page lately so didn't see his comment(s) that they were using Kinects.

Good to see my guess was correct.

Watching a bit more of the Lolla vid reminds me of some more things, I liked the "strobe" effect they used on Ilan on 1,000,000 where they would switch between multiple lights that were pointed on him from different directions. The lighting on him wouldn't really change, but the shadows would move all over the scrim behind him.

Another subtle production thing I noticed while I was at Lolla, the screens have shades behind them presumably to keep lights behind them from bleeding through & to give shadows from the front something to land on, the shades were raised for at least HLAH to let the lights from behind get through. I only noticed them because I saw them being lowered down before Hurt.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mostlymad View Post
    Yeah, billpulsipher, I have read some that made me scratch my head. It was full. I was far back due to my choice to come late. It was packed. They were into it that far back, too. I don't know. I guess they only write for people who didn't go? [side note example: The same kind of review happened to The Cure. The Cure played mostly hits and upbeat tunes like "Doing the Unstuck" for god's sake. They still labelled it doom and gloom or mopey.]
    Yeah I read that too, every review called The Cure "mopey" or "goth".......The people writing these reviews have probably only heard 5 NIN and Cure songs in their lives.............The Cure did play 6 or 7 Disintegration songs which was sick, RS seemed pissed they were only allotted 2 hours....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    While far from the perfect the video available for this show is superior to the audio (bass clipping in particular), in my opinion. Is there any way to process / scrub it to minimize this effect? I think it would make the replays of this that much better.
    Last edited by Paul; 08-06-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    Yeah I read that too, every review called The Cure "mopey" or "goth".......The people writing these reviews have probably only heard 5 NIN and Cure songs in their lives.............The Cure did play 6 or 7 Disintegration songs which was sick, RS seemed pissed they were only allotted 2 hours....
    The reviews are completely confusing me. I was hoping to be able to link to a couple that spoke of the things I liked and didn't like because I am not as good at objective reviews as some. However, these people didn't even seem to be there. RS knows festivals can't give a lot of time. I think he's more pissed that he can't decide what to do. After all, he got 4 hours and 16 minutes or something in Mexico City, for his birthday concert. It speaks volumes that they have that many songs rehearsed.

One thing I wondered, though, is if the reviewers just don't like the festival thing, in the first place. Several of them had nothing good to say about any performances.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Yeah he made at least 2 mentions of it - I've seen The Cure 2x before, and they played WAY longer, like 3 hours. At the end he said if they pull the plug on us you guys keep singing, but he managed to finish Boys Don't Cry before any plug was pulled.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I remember last year he was complaining how Hurricane/Southside only allowed him 2 hours to play, but for the most part Cure usually get 2 and a half to 3 hours at festivals....I guess Lolla had a curfew because it was in a park etc

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redshoewearer View Post
    Yeah he made at least 2 mentions of it - I've seen The Cure 2x before, and they played WAY longer, like 3 hours. At the end he said if they pull the plug on us you guys keep singing, but he managed to finish Boys Don't Cry before any plug was pulled.
    Well, that was because they did pull the plug on Friday in Canada. They knew it going in. But he's never been a fan of cutting it short. "Fuck Robert Palmer" lives on in our hearts.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgo View Post

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I came from Omaha to be at Lolla only for NIN... It was worth it. I got into the crowd as soon as Band of Horses was done playing. I was then able to get up into the front row by the time NIN came on. I've only seen them one other time, and I was deathly ill, so I was sitting in a seat barfing the entire time. So, this was basically like my first show. I'm now going to Kansas City for sure, and possibly St. Louis. I wanna retire and go to every damn show.

I cried... A few times. I have problems.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I know its late, but I was at this show and it was pretty awesome. I was near the front and the crowd seemed pretty into it. I could tell that it was some pretty dedicated fans as they were singing along to stuff like sanctified and the way out is through. Some highlights from my perspective:

Copy of A: Fuckin' awesome. Best new song he's done, such a great beat and chorus. The way it built was really exciting.
    Sanctified: The new version of this is absolutely sexy.
    March of The Pigs: A classic live staple, but this song felt extra intense that night. plus those freaking lights are soo bright and blinding, the stream does not do them justice.
    Me, I'm Not: Sweet visuals and vocal effects.
    What if we could?: I was shocked they played this but it sounded beautiful
    The Way Out Is Through: One of my all time favorite nin tracks, I've always wanted to see it live and it did not disappoint.
    The Hand That Feeds: Weirdly enough this song really stood out to me. It's such a typical song and I've gotten sick of it over the years but Trent really seemed to revitalize it with lots of energy and the lights were nice.
    Hurt: The new arrangement seems to combine the best elements of previous live versions and it was pretty cool to sing along with thousands of strangers to it.

I'll be in St. Paul for round 2 of the tour. See some of ya there!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Amazing festival. amazing show. Finally got to see TWOIT and HMIIH. Copy of A/What If We Could were my personal favorites. Acoustics were amazing compared to a few arena shows. My only regret on Friday is choosing QOTSA over New Order (QOTSA's playing later this month)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by misfitchris View Post
    Amazing festival. amazing show. Finally got to see TWOIT and HMIIH. Copy of A/What If We Could were my personal favorites. Acoustics were amazing compared to a few arena shows. My only regret on Friday is choosing QOTSA over New Order (QOTSA's playing later this month)
    What do you mean QOTSA is playing later this month? Not in Chicago.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Sometimes reviewers write parts of their reviews BEFORE the show.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    General comment about Lolla : the sound sucked for most bands, NIN included. Well, it really wasn't that bad, but I definitely saw NIN with much better sound during previous tours. Maybe it was because we were relatively close to the stage (just in front of the sound console), but the bass was way too loud and it was difficult trying to hear the chords sometimes. Even with ear plugs, it was hard to hear the keyboard chords in Copy of A so the melodies were lost in the noise. Listening to the Lolla broadcast, now I see it wasn't just about the subwoofers.. Fuji's sound mix was definitely much better.

Grizzly Bear unfortunately suffered from the same problems. Bummer for such a melodic band to loose all those great chord progressions.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I agree with NIN, but we were far back. It sounded really distorted. I thought Grizzly Bear sounded fine, but I was about 30 ft from the stage. The rest of the sound (I thought) was pretty good, especially for Phoenix. I always thought Lolla had great sound in the three times that I have been. I had an absolute blast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipfinator View Post
    What do you mean QOTSA is playing later this month? Not in Chicago.
    Playing Cincinatti and Columbus probably Indianapolis.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mostlymad View Post
    Yeah, billpulsipher, I have read some that made me scratch my head. It was full. I was far back due to my choice to come late. It was packed. They were into it that far back, too. I don't know. I guess they only write for people who didn't go? [side note example: The same kind of review happened to The Cure. The Cure played mostly hits and upbeat tunes like "Doing the Unstuck" for god's sake. They still labelled it doom and gloom or mopey.]
    Yeah wasn't it Pitchfork that said NIN had the smallest Lolla headlining crowd yet? That dude clearly was not at Black Sabbath last year, because THAT was a tiny crowd.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    (I thought) was pretty good, especially for Phoenix.
    Yeah, Phoenix sounded amazing. I really loved their set.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah those reviewers saying it wasn't full are full of it themselves.. I bumped into at least 700 people just to get 250 meters from rail.

Missed Phoenix for the Cure but just bought tix to see them in October. Really enjoyed Wild Nothing during the day and listening to Beach House while the Cure was setting up.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Actually upping to @RITCNINLollapalooza m4a album version 3 : after version 1 having a glitch track 4 1'09 and version 2 missing a chunk track 4 1'04, this version is directly cut from the ritc video version to avoid any chunk issue. My dropbox was deleted

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by misfitchris View Post
    Yeah those reviewers saying it wasn't full are full of it themselves.. I bumped into at least 700 people just to get 250 meters from rail.

Missed Phoenix for the Cure but just bought tix to see them in October. Really enjoyed Wild Nothing during the day and listening to Beach House while the Cure was setting up.
    NIN was packed, we got there around 8:40 because we were so close to Hot Chip (which was awesome) and we could only get near the very back speakers/lights. I have no idea what they're talking about.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    WOW I just discovered this pic ! would do a great bootleg album cover

nineinchnailsBud Light Stage @ Lollapalooza
    Ready for @lollapalooza.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    cortini looks so different....

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    cortini looks so different....
    I think it might be his hair... but I better be careful with throwing around the "H" word on these forums... It has a tendency to open up a can of worms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    whats weird is I read some reviews from Chicago papers and most of them critiziced NIN saying the show lagged in the middle of the set, the light show alienated the crowd because nobody could see the band unless they were close to the stage...One asshole reviewer said that the crowd for NIN wasn't full and had a lot of empty seats.....funny how "outsiders" perceive the band still
    Having a slow section in a gig is the same as "lagging" now? I wonder how NIN is perceived by first time listeners though. I mean, most of us here have listened to these tracks hundreds of times and hear every detail by now. Those details are what makes NIN so great imho.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Obviously I have nothing over the official Lollapalooza stream... but I decided to throw this up anyway, didn't want it to go to waste.
    If anyone cares to check out my video of Copy of A & Sanctified from the night here it is:

I shot another of Me, I'm not and Find My Way that I was going to upload as well, but it was taking Waaaaay too long, and I nixed that one for now so I could properly stream tonights show at Outside Lands. Now that the stream is over, i'll probably upload that one as well. I'll throw that one up here as well once it's up. But, like I said... don't expect anything special after watching the official stream, lol.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Here's my other video from the night, featuring "Me, i'm not" and "Find My Way" for people who like watching fan shot videos from the crowd.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Question. Did anyone here buy the $175 signed print they had at the Lolla merch stand? I was told by the person working the stand that they would be shipped the Monday after Lolla via priority and would arrive no later than that Friday 8/9. Well, still no poster here. All I have for contact info is the phone number on the receipt. I called, spoke with a helpful gentleman who emailed the powers that be. Never received a response. So I am wondering, did anyone here buy one? And if so, has it shown up yet? Also, were you told the same date to expect its arrival?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Now that we've heard "Everything", I have to wonder now what the reactions would have been like if they had played it as originally planned.