Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HM Support Group (pun intended) - NO SPOILERS

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Spoilers: Trent sings.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Holding out on Copy Of A too. Although if NIN.com releases it as a download with artwork or a video does indeed come out as rumoured, I will crumble like the crumbliest cookie. Even without listening, I do enjoy reading all the reactions. (Y'know, the things people have been posting occasionally in between all the PM requests.)

Anyone else manage to avoid listening to it so far?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    Holding out on Copy Of A too. Although if NIN.com releases it as a download with artwork or a video does indeed come out as rumoured, I will crumble like the crumbliest cookie. Even without listening, I do enjoy reading all the reactions. (Y'know, the things people have been posting occasionally in between all the PM requests.)

Anyone else manage to avoid listening to it so far?
    I have managed to, but it has been extremely difficult. I'm trying to hold out o release day, so I can smell the packaging and read the liner notes and take in the artwork, while experiencing everything at the same time. I've only listened to CBH and the live versions of COA and FMW. It's going to be a long 3 weeks.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    And why the hell is my post in a different font than everyone else's?
    Because your sporadic and verbose posts are highly valued here, in my book!

A few things: Regarding the radio, many, many FM stations (at least in my area) serve an important purpose as a platform for the very instance you described from 2003. But it goes beyond that. Many non-mainstream news outlets depend on FM radio and are losing funds quickly, which is a shame. I value radio as I never would have gotten into NIN in the first place without K-Rock in NYC (a now-defunct rock station). My Nokia brick phone had an FM receiver around the time that "Only" was released, and I remember listening on my singular mono earbud waiting for the station to play it again. And this was before WT was released.

I guess the easy, logical, first-world answer to your last question would be, well, to just wait, dang it! [used kindly!] I think that the idea of 'not spoiling' an album is in direct response to the unconscious feeling that most albums are 'spoiled' nowadays anyway by us grabbing the first 192kbps torrent we can get our pirate hands on, with perhaps some gritty 220px art icon. It seems my appetite is just as whetted as yours! I can hold off for those few more days.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Just listen... go ahead... man, one listen ain't gonna hurt you. Just give it a try.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm also, not listening. I'm waiting for the record release... but I won't cover my ears at the concert. Its more like nineties album nostalgia, one single, one LP. I guess you could say I'm holding on to when everything seemed to matter more?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can relate to this thread for sure.

For the past two months I've avoided the tracklist. Every once in a while I'm here, or at another website, and I encounter the tracklist and shield my eyes.
    I haven't avoided the releases of Came Back Haunted or CoA, and I've watched some live performances (Lolla) because I don't want to remove myself from what's happening. At the same time, until I have this record, I'm doing my best to stay away from more spoilers.
    Visiting ETS is sometimes perilous for me now. Don't know where I'm safe, lol

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I cant imagine what bemefits are yielded from avoiding the track list. It must improve the album immensely.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I'm now restricting myself to only reading this thread in the NIN section of the forum. Loads of people are posting lyrics etc. It's just not safe out there any more.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    They mostly post at night. Mostly.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So, it's a bit tricky not to listen to this brand new track, huh... It's not, not at all actually. I have a feeling it's a song more fitted to be experienced within the whole. Yep. Not listening. Or...? Hmm I feel like I'm corrupting an AA meeting.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    We need a support group for Wretched souls who just listened to "Everything".

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    You guys holding out for the full album are missing an incredible shitstorm. Good on you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Made a decision that having already heard 4 songs, I'm going to avoid Everything until I have HM in my hands. Just listened to the Zane Lowe interview, and fast forwarded past the song when it was played. Didn't think I had willpower anymore, so this is quite a step in the right direction!! Very intrigued with the reaction that it's produced though, particularly in relation to some of the bands it's been compared to!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    You guys holding out for the full album are missing an incredible shitstorm. Good on you.
    Still haven't heard it but I'm amazed at the quite harsh reaction it seems to be causing.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Ive only listened to whats been sent to my nin account for pre-ordering. And before lolla, i didnt hear COA or FMW. So to hear those live was cool. But I still havent heard disapointed yet. And yes, you guys are lucky to not be in the everything thread. What a fuck storm.... Stay strong!!!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Spoilers: Trent sings.
    DAMNIT! You've ruined everything.

So far, I've listened to CBH fewer than half a dozen times, and have left the other tracks untouched. Haven't even really read about them.

But holding out - like the proverbial hard-on I've got for new material - is getting harder every day.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    To those holding out for a first album listen in full seamlessness: play it *loud*

Enjoy.
    Last edited by Amaro; 08-21-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Everything is going to make you have a "wtf" look on your face, probably induce a "...seriously...?" from you and you probably will hate it for the first 30 seconds.

And then it will creep into your head like a worm and you won't be able to stop listening to it.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    ...And then it will creep into your head like a worm and you won't be able to stop listening to it.
    Because it's actually good.

//

Pretty sure we should stop talking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have only listened to CBH, CofA, Disappointed, Find my way and Everything. I will hold out to listen to anything else until something else is released.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I really need to call my sponsor

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I am taking deep breaths.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Fuck. Well, now I'll just have to avoid the whole Internet until my album arrives.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Here's hoping NIN'll respond to the leaks by posting the official digital copies to store.nin.com soon, yeah? Though perhaps he'll be hamstrung by the label arrangement. I suppose time will tell! I admit to listening to the various singles (and live versions) but I can remain strong for one more week if not.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    So, the other threads, everyone is raving about how great the album is, 8 ,9 and 9.5 out of 10. How relieving is that?!? I'd hate to wait for the CD knowing everyone was saying it was 'crap' or worse, a 'letdown'.

But everyone seems to love it! Cannot wait till I get my cd!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oddly, I've been looking practically everyday for it to leak... just to torture myself into not downloading it. I preordered the Deluxe CD and Vinyl the day I heard about it, so I wouldn't really feel guilty about downloading it without paying for it, per se. To me, it is about the Ritual. These days it is rare for me to buy an album (especially a PHYSICAL COPY... damn your convenience MP3) and open it, read the liner notes, pop it into the home system and listen start to finish. Like, absorb the album as it were. Holy shit, album art. I used to do that all the time... back in those heady days of having lots of free time I guess. But, I honestly thought The Slip was going to be it for NIN. So, I intend to really savour the experience.

It's going to be a long week.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    This probably means that those of us who are holding out for release day like true fans will be disappointed with the new record.
    The very fact that you just used the term "true fans" means you're going to be disappointed with the album purely on principle.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I'm waiting to receive the actual CD. Because I'm lazy. And because, perhaps sadly, I'm not nearly as excited about this as most of you.

Edit: I should add that I'm not excited about any music, anymore, and this bums me out.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-27-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

True fans

True fans would *never* want to hear an album by their favorite artist the moment it's available.