Not The Actual Events -

The artwork was misleading.
    The release date was misleading.
    Purposfully misleading press releases.
    Misleading physical content.
    Released on vinyl with one blank side?
    Video feels like a placeholder.
    Not the actual events.

Calling it - this is part of a full length LP which will be released tomorrow under its real title with real artwork.

Either way - incredible record. Loved HM but this is something else.
    Hmm... Maybe this was planned all along to be released before the Fragile Deviations, but they wanted to mislead/confuse us.
    I thought something was up/fishy with the different release dates right off the bat when I saw one was 12/22 and the other was 12/23. I had a feeling one might have been a typo. Then I realized that it's NIN we're talking about here, and TR and friends are masters of detail, so there is no way they would fuck up a release date.

Like I said a few posts above this, maybe "The Fragile" IS the actual events... maybe we will learn more tonight when the Fragile Deviations is released. Could these songs be linked to the unreleased ones on that record? Maybe that's just asking too much...
    Last edited by ManBurning; 12-22-2016 at 03:01 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    All this speculation of secret albums sounds a lot to me like buyers remorse.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avarik View Post
    Did anyone tag the FLACs successfully? It won't write album art to it even when I convert to MP3.
    Honestly, I didn't bother, I XLD transcoded them to my preferred format (AAC) and archived the ZIP. I then did some metadata on the AACs by hand, but I've since sourced the MP3 download so I'm going to skim the tags from those.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brotha52 View Post
    "More, I want more!!! " is a twisted kind of buyer's remorse, then!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    more like "leave them wanting more."

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _incoma_ View Post
    I don't know, sonically it reminds me of the harshness of The Slip more than anything.
    I'm recalling "Letting You" in particular.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I think Trent might have used the cut-up technique for this ep.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    The youtube teaser was not reflective of what I was reading here so I caved in and forked over another $13 to get the EP because none of you dumped this stuff to a torrent or youtube for me to try out.These tracks are decent. I'd have paid $5 for a digitial copy. $6 for a cd. Nothing standing out as a cohesive theme at this point. I definitely wouldn't be boosting this up as much as you all have so far.
    TL;DR: meh

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    kinda hoping the physical object is a disc with the multitracks on.. That would seal the deal for me!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avarik View Post
    Did anyone tag the FLACs successfully? It won't write album art to it even when I convert to MP3.
    Yeah, nothing wrong with the FLACs as far as I can tell. Tagged 'em just fine, and just verified I can attach an image to the metadata as well. (If you're having problems with them post-mp3-conversion than it's a problem with your mp3 stuff, not the original FLACs).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Wow. Holy fuckin shit. Now this Ladies and gentleman...THIS is Nine Inch Nails!! I was able to have a listening party while doing surgery today (I'm a vet). Fuckin love this album!! I keep having this thought though, that maybe, just maybe, "The Actual Events" are yet to come...maybe we'll get a full album tomorrow or in the near future...If it's tomorrow, I'm going to officially lose my shit! (Wait, I already did that this morning when I got my surprise download!!)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbeyond View Post
    Dear World, - sounds like if "My Violent Heart" was on Hesitation Marks. Especially the main synth sequence sound that was also used in "Came Back Haunted." The "I Do Not Want This"/"Zero Sum" vocal approach lol. Love the warbly tones during the choruses. The drum programming is exquisite.

This song more than any on the album songs like so many other NIN songs. At several points I think its about to crack into the Downward Spiral theme.

I don't think this is accidental.
    It sounds like a direct twin of "Copy of A"

I'm pretty sure he is using the familiar and nostalgia factor to tie it to modern politics .

Lets use the title for a reference point. "Dear world". That's the start of a diary entry (all be it not a happy one).But who writes in diaries now. No its all about social media, Trent's not a fan of those. In the recent elections (all over the world) this i were the war was fought. Countries all over the globe turned their back on "The media" and got their truth from facebook, twitter. Outlets that preached nostalgia, Times when we were great. Not a New political move but one thats devastating in times of crisis.

I believe this is Trent's Political Nostalgia Song..... Is a deliberate Best of track. There are too many nods to previous tracks, Copy of A, Downward Spiral, Only, etc.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    I put on Mickey Mouse club house for the kiddos so I could have a proper listen in the headphones. This was my second listen. I am blown away. It's perfect. It's the opposite of HM. I don't even understand how he went from HM to this. It's a bizarre and beautiful transition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Pitchfork crowd?
    Yeah, the comments on various media outlets Facebook posts including Pitchfork and others are just tearing this shit apart saying it's the worst garbage they have ever heard.

I don't understand... People wanted angry industrial/metal Trent back, and they got him back and now people are angry they they don't have "Everything" Trent back...

This music was made for the fans and nothing more. The "Fairweather fans" who like "THTF" and "Only" can fuck right off. This is TR going back to the roots of what NIN was.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    One of my friends on Facebook said burning bright was mixed terribly. I almost unfriended and blocked him and then I realized I was being irrational and stepped away. This is so good. Fuck man it's so good.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    I put on Mickey Mouse club house for the kiddos so I could have a proper listen in the headphones. This was my second listen. I am blown away. It's perfect. It's the opposite of HM. I don't even understand how he went from HM to this. It's a bizarre and beautiful transition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh yeah ntae mixed with the hot dog song... mine was watching Daniel tiger as I listened all morn.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Just had my first listen on laptop speakers. Duder's take aways:
    1.) Amazing EP.
    2.) TR claimed that revisiting The Fragile was like a form of therapy. That era/those events were the actual events. This output/story was his current take on those events; this EP is not the actual events.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Yeah, the comments on various media outlets Facebook posts including Pitchfork and others are just tearing this shit apart saying it's the worst garbage they have ever heard.

I don't understand... People wanted angry industrial/metal Trent back, and they got him back and now people are angry they they don't have "Everything" Trent back...

This music was made for the fans and nothing more. The "Fairweather fans" who like "THTF" and "Only" can fuck right off. This is TR going back to the roots of what NIN was.
    Some people here, including me, wanted some of the old daring NIN and are immensely satisfied.
    I'm not sure the crowd at large is really getting it. I don't really care, there's a lot of music out there, go enjoy that instead!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    This is precisely what i expected/hoped With Teeth would sound like. To me, the only strange thing about this release is the decade in which it was released. It would have been a perfectly reasonable follow up to TDS or TF, IMO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post

I am digging it, except the middle track is ok (as an aside, I interpret this track as the album's sex track). That's 4/5 pieces that really do it. I'm saying this is Nine Inch Nails' best work since With Teeth. Solid 8/10 and hoping Trent continues pushing himself. I really like the space he's in on this release. I "get" the basic concept of the record, and it's fitting for the times we live in and seems to also project into the future based on current trends. The final song is the happy ending or the answer.
    I was totally thinking the same thing- best music since WT!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Also, in terms of theme, do you guys think that this is intended to be a "story?"

And if so, what do you think it's about?

I caught like domestic violence type vibes from it (for one thing)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Did anyone else that got .wav files get them blank? I have no artwork or anything and it seems like some people were getting different things.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    More spam.

The EP cover carries the visual style of still/AATCHB.

Still was an EP accompanying a live disk.
    What if NTAE is an EP accompanying a live disk that hasn't been recorded yet? What if NIN pulled a mars volta and recorded their new album live and released it that way next year?

edit: sorry. I wasn't expecting this EP to be so good, I was so certain trents good years were behind him and I'm kind of on a musical overdose right now.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    This is precisely what i expected/hoped With Teeth would sound like. To me, the only strange thing about this release is the decade in which it was released. It would have been a perfectly reasonable follow up to TDS or TF, IMO.
    I was gonna say something similar. This EP is like a natural progression from TDS to TF to NTAE to WT.

I still find it curious that they used the Still artwork. Like there's meant to be a connection.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    'Burning Bright' is going to be compared to sludge and doom metal acts like the Body. Its a good experiment for NIN. I'll wait 'til tomorrow for the rest.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Do the drums in Burning Bright remind anybody else of anything? I swear I've heard them before. TDTWWA quiet? Probably imagining things.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Maybe we don't have a halo number yet because the album proper will be Halo 29 and this will be called Halo 29 EP...
    I fuckin hope so!

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    This is my third listen of the day...

...fuckin' loved it!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    All this smoke and mirrors/misdirection talk reminds me of all the stuff that was out there about Tool's '10,000 Days' being a fake or decoy album.

That said, I'm fired up to get out of work here so I can go get my download.