Page 66 of 76 FirstFirst ... 16 56 64 65 66 67 68 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,980 of 2270

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Just watched "Mandy" with my girl and her older brother, and it was very enjoyable. Slow burn, but the cinematography here is so good, and loved the dream sequences that Red (Nicolas Cage) had when turning into animations of Mandy herself. Glad I finally got around to watching this one.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Just watched "Mandy" with my girl and her older brother, and it was very enjoyable. Slow burn, but the cinematography here is so good, and loved the dream sequences that Red (Nicolas Cage) had when turning into animations of Mandy herself. Glad I finally got around to watching this one.
    Good film. The music by Johann Johannson (RIP) is fantastic too.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Good film. The music by Johann Johannson (RIP) is fantastic too.
    Oh yes! Forgot to add that as well. There was one track that had that 80's synth to it that added another layer to the scenes it was used in. Really loved it!

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I'm watching The Uninvited, a haunted house movie from 1944, and it's amazing. The Criterion dvd is beautiful. Highly recommended
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037415/

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Wait...ok. I obviously respect your opinion, but how, exactly...I don't see how that one could possibly be considered a "slow burn."

Slow burn, for me, = The Witch, Neon Demon, Bone Tomahawk, MAYBE like Hereditary, or Rosemary's Baby.

With Mandy, though: it's been four years, but that movie, the way I remember it, descended into batshit craziness PRETTY fucking quick.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    It takes an hour for the movie to really get going. Yea, some stuff happens in the beginning to set up the balls to the wall middle to end, but the first two chapters are dreary, with some cool looking visuals after Mandy gets taken.

After she gets burned in front of Red is where things really take a turn, for me personally.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    It takes an hour for the movie to really get going. Yea, some stuff happens in the beginning to set up the balls to the wall middle to end, but the first two chapters are dreary, with some cool looking visuals after Mandy gets taken.

After she gets burned in front of Red is where things really take a turn, for me personally.
    Yeah, Panos Cosmatos has a glacial pace to his films. Mandy has that chainsaw sequence but it also has a lot of build, atmosphere, LOTS of transposed imagery and washed out photography, etc. It's a mood piece that just so happens to end with a classic Nic Cage insane final act.

Have you seen Beyond the Black Rainbow? It is very much a slow burn and doesn't have the nutty Cage aspect. But it is by far the better film of his two films. Also has an absolutely amazing synth score. And it's just a weird mindfuck.
    Last edited by burnmotherfucker!; 09-13-2022 at 05:02 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Yeah, Panos Cosmatos has a glacial pace to his films. Mandy has that chainsaw sequence but it also has a lot of build, atmosphere, LOTS of transposed imagery and washed out photography, etc. It's a mood piece that just so happens to end with a classic Nic Cage insane final act.

Have you seen Beyond the Black Rainbow? It is very much a slow burn and doesn't have the nutty Cage aspect. But it is by far the better film of his two films. Also has an absolutely amazing synth score. And it's just a weird mindfuck.
    I checked out his filmography after watching Mandy, and read the summary for Black Rainbow and was instantly hooked! I'll get around to it at some point.

I have to say, out of all the Nic Cage nutty performances, this one went straight to the top of the radar for me. It was a bit more focused for me, and the "YOU RIPPED MAH SHIRT" scene is so good, and I'm glad that it wasn't so over the top with the dialogue in every scene. It was driven by a lot of the visuals, and Cage's raw performance. The scene when he takes the dab of the suped up LSD, lol!

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I checked out his filmography after watching Mandy, and read the summary for Black Rainbow and was instantly hooked! I'll get around to it at some point.

I have to say, out of all the Nic Cage nutty performances, this one went straight to the top of the radar for me. It was a bit more focused for me, and the "YOU RIPPED MAH SHIRT" scene is so good, and I'm glad that it wasn't so over the top with the dialogue in every scene. It was driven by a lot of the visuals, and Cage's raw performance. The scene when he takes the dab of the suped up LSD, lol!
    Yeah I agree it is one of Cage's performances that work. What he does can really work in a film when the director knows how to incorporate it into the story properly. I'd also put Color Out Of Space up there with it in terms of using him the right way.

But Beyond the Black Rainbow is different in that it removes the camp, with the exception of a single scene. Definitely a unique film unto itself. And Michael Rogers, who hasn't acted in a whole lot, is excellent in the lead role. Genuinely creepy, restrained performance. He also recently had a small role in We're All Going to the World's Fair, which was an excellent low budget found footage film. Not really a good horror movie but it was a great character study that explored isolation and the internet. And I hate found footage films.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Yeah I agree it is one of Cage's performances that work. What he does can really work in a film when the director knows how to incorporate it into the story properly. I'd also put Color Out Of Space up there with it in terms of using him the right way.

But Beyond the Black Rainbow is different in that it removes the camp, with the exception of a single scene. Definitely a unique film unto itself. And Michael Rogers, who hasn't acted in a whole lot, is excellent in the lead role. Genuinely creepy, restrained performance. He also recently had a small role in We're All Going to the World's Fair, which was an excellent low budget found footage film. Not really a good horror movie but it was a great character study that explored isolation and the internet. And I hate found footage films.
    Color Out Of Space has been on my list for a little bit now. I'll get to these soon! Thanks for the explanation!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    But Beyond the Black Rainbow is different in that it removes the camp, with the exception of a single scene..
    Which scene do you consider campy? If it's the one I'm thinking of, I'd consider that more "cosmic horror": we are all inconsequential as humans in the Grand Scheme... and oh, so frail. I would definitely agree that BtBR is its own experience, though. I've read about some of the "homage films", and none of them are quite what Black Rainbow is.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Which scene do you consider campy? If it's the one I'm thinking of, I'd consider that more "cosmic horror": we are all inconsequential as humans in the Grand Scheme... and oh, so frail. I would definitely agree that BtBR is its own experience, though. I've read about some of the "homage films", and none of them are quite what Black Rainbow is.
    Well, I don't want to spoil anything but it was just the one scene that had a bit of comic relief to it. I think it fit ok and I actually think it served an important purpose for the ending. I'll just be vague and say it was the two guys outside scene.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    LET'S GO

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Checked out a film called My Heart Can't Beat Unless You Tell It To last night. A bleak, understated vampire tale. Currently streaming on Peacock for those who might be interested.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Checked out a film called My Heart Can't Beat Unless You Tell It To last night. A bleak, understated vampire tale. Currently streaming on Peacock for those who might be interested.
    Just watched the trailer for it and it gives me Let Me In vibes. I love a good vampire movie so thanks for the recommendation. Vampires are very hard to get right on film for some reason so I'm always looking for a good one.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I'm actually getting really stoked for the new Hellraiser movie

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I'm actually getting really stoked for the new Hellraiser movie
    It has good reviews so far. Too bad it went straight to VOD, it would have been cool to see in the theater.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I'll probably be in the minority around here, but that new Hellraiser movie was extremely mediocre (5/10). There was definitely some good in there, but overall, it felt like MTV's Hellraiser or something. Ranks right about in the middle for me as far as the series goes.

I was one of those weird people that enjoyed III (Hell on Earth), IV (Bloodline), and V (Inferno; I know this wasn't originally a Hellraiser script).

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I'll probably be in the minority around here, but that new Hellraiser movie was extremely mediocre (5/10). There was definitely some good in there, but overall, it felt like MTV's Hellraiser or something. Ranks right about in the middle for me as far as the series goes.

I was one of those weird people that enjoyed III (Hell on Earth), IV (Bloodline), and V (Inferno; I know this wasn't originally a Hellraiser script).
    Count me in the minority as well then. I just watched it tonight and it was a massive letdown for me. Boring. Bland characters and no sense of tension. The writing was pretty run of the mill. I never cared what happened to anyone at any point in the film. So yeah, basically it was middle of the road Hellraiser for me. I'm starting to think it isn't even possible to have a good movie in this franchise.

Also, I agree with you Inferno is underrated. It isn't necessarily good, but for this franchise it's one of the better ones.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I was disappointed, but fuck it Jesus wept

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    The new Hellraiser was certainly better than most of the sequels, but it kind of felt like the Blumhouse version of Hellraiser. For all the talk of pushing boundaries and going over the edge, it felt rather tame for the most part. It needed to be creepier, weirder, and yes...kinkier. I enjoyed watching it, but I don't really see myself watching it again.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)

WAIT wait wait. Middle of the SERIES?
    Lucifer bless my Hellbound Heart.
    That's not good.

Honestly, the last one I really adored was the second one.

Edit: fuck.
    @Jinsai @BRoswell @burnmotherfucker! , I value all of your opinions.

Should I even WATCH it? I mean, good god.
    The clock is ticking.
    I don't have TIME for bad movies.
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-08-2022 at 11:22 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Should I even WATCH it? I mean, good god.
    The clock is ticking.
    I don't have TIME for bad movies.
    I wouldn't call it a bad movie, just a bit shortsighted. It's worth a watch in my opinion.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    the new Hellraiser had its moments, but lost so much potential

In my opinion, it was as good as any other decent sequel, but didn't live up to 1 or 2

Maybe it was better than 3... but even 3 has these epic moments.
    Priest: you'll burn in hell!
    Pinhead: Burn? Such limited imagination
    Last edited by Jinsai; 10-08-2022 at 12:09 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    the new Hellraiser had its moments, but lost so much potential

In my opinion, it was as good as any other decent sequel, but didn't live up to 1 or 2

Maybe it was better than 3... but even 3 has these epic moments.
    Priest: you'll burn in hell!
    Pinhead: Burn? Such limited imagination
    True.

3 also had the "I...AM...THE WAY" bit, too, didn't it?
    Well, hell.

I'll check it out.