Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Midterm Elections - The Aftermath

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    NBC called it too. CNN has not called it yet
    A few networks like CBS amended their call saying it’s too close and too early to call with not enough precincts reporting ... maybe it’s wishful thinking but I’m not giving up hope (re Beto).

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    God, I would do anything to see Walker go down.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    LAUREN UNDERWOOD WON IN ILLINOIS’ 14TH CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT!!! She’s a black Registered Nurse who ran because she has pre-existing conditions and was pissed at Randy Hultgren for siding with Trump on Healhcare so she ran for Hultgren’s seat. YES!!!

AND PETER ROSKAM LOST!!!!

Yes!!!!!

Kuame Raul just won Attorney General of Illinois.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-06-2018 at 10:18 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    LAUREN UNDERWOOD WON IN ILLINOIS’ 14TH CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT!!! She’s a black Registered Nurse who ran because she has pre-existing conditions and was pissed at Randy Hultgren for siding with Trump on Healhcare so she ran for Hultgren’s seat. YES!!!

AND PETER ROSKAM LOST!!!!

Yes!!!!!

Kuame Raul just won Attorney General of Illinois.
    *High five*

Plus you got Pritzker.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Florida....i know the senate doesn't matter anymore......

but your at 99.5%......and you still cant fucking decide.........jesus fuck...

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    A few things:

As no surprise, Missouri went deeper red then it already was. I wanted to believe that we'd come through and not elect that fucking nazi Josh Hawly, but alas. We'd finally rid ourselves of the atrocity that was Grietens, only to give this fucking assclown a higher position of power after BARELY serving a term as our AG. Dude gets elected to AG and literally does FUCK ALL with his job, and yet the dumb hicks in this state give him a fucking promotion because this state has that same absurd mentality with Claire McCaskill that everyone has with Hilary.

But I am fucking SHOOK at how hard Kansas went tonight. Democratic governor AND first Native American woman elected to Congress. I genuinely never thought I would be jealous of Kansas. Missouri is the fucking WORST. I'm genuinely very excited for the people of Kansas tonight. That state is beyond fucked so they need all the help they can get.

Back to Missouri, it's fucking fantastic to see Minimum Wage get approved. Hopefully it is able to fix the people in St Louis who voted for a hike, and then had it ripped out from under them a few months later by Eric Greitens. Also INCREDIBLY excited to see that Medical Marijuana passed. This is something that came a lot sooner in Missouri than I imagined, so I'm super SUPER thrilled with this.

And lastly, so now that the Dems have seemingly retaken the House, what is our next step? Does it actually matter since the GOP gained majority in the senate? Is there anything that the House can logistically and realistically do at this point to start putting a stop to the Trump agenda? Is this a bigger win than it feels like it is?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    God, I would do anything to see Walker go down.
    I hate Scott Walker, he’s SUCH a dick. That Foxconn deal in Mt Pleasant WI cost the state billions and will net them zero jobs other than construction of the expressway and the building; and Foxconn has downsized its original plan and it’s going to use robotics on the line. It will take YEARS for WI taxpayers to recover from those concessions.

@richardp , the Democrats taking the House is HUGE!!! They now take the head of every House Committee, including the House Intel Committee (formerly headed by crooked Devin Nunes). Also, the Republicans changed a rule in 2016 wherein the House could issue subpoenas WITHOUT obtaining permission from or informing the minority and now the Democrats have this ability related to Trump etc. Nancy Pelosi will be the Speaker of the House, again (which I fully endorse and applaud). That means she and the Democrats control: Entitlements, Tax Amendments, Impeachments, Ethics investigations, anything related to funding and money, etc.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-06-2018 at 11:02 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Jesus, Wisconsin, PLEASE.

I can't believe how close it is. Unbelievable.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Monumental in my home state, Michigan:

This modernizes the voting system for the first time since 1975. And it brought BACK our beloved straight-ticket voting for good!

Plus, they legalized recreational marijuana!

And elected a Democratic Governor!
    Last edited by allegro; 11-06-2018 at 11:29 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    @richardp, the Democrats taking the House is HUGE!!! They now take the head of every House Committee, including the House Intel Committee (formerly headed by crooked Devin Nunes). Also, the Republicans changed a rule in 2016 wherein the House could issue subpoenas WITHOUT obtaining permission from or informing the minority and now the Democrats have this ability related to Trump etc. Nancy Pelosi will be the Speaker of the House, again (which I fully endorse and applaud). That means she and the Democrats control: Entitlements, Tax Amendments, Impeachments, Ethics investigations, anything related to funding and money, etc.
    Oh wow, HELL YES. Things are going to get fucking INTENSE very quickly if this is the case.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Monumental in my home state, Michigan:

This modernizes the voting system for the first time since 1975.

Plus, they legalized recreational marijuana!

And elected a Democratic Governor!
    We truly are a swing state in that - as long as I've been alive - we've elected someone from alternating parties every time the term limit is reached. In that sense, I was expecting Whitmer but you never can be sure. It almost feels like we haven't even had a governor for the last 8 years though. Snyder is practically invisible, and I assume it has everything to do with his complacency regarding the Flint water mess, which is still just fucking absurd that nothing has been done about that.

Women have absolutely rocked the results here tonight in my district; Gretchen Whitmer as our 2nd female governor, Debbie Stabenow winning her US Senate re-election, Jocelyn Benson as Secretary of State, Dana Nessel as AG, Elissa Slotkin for US Rep, Kara Hope for State Rep. Some of those are too close to call yet. All that with the proposals passing too just has me feeling relief right now.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 11-06-2018 at 11:44 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    We truly are a swing state in that - as long as I've been alive - we've elected someone from alternating parties every time the term limit is reached. In that sense, I was expecting Whitmer but you never can be sure. It almost feels like we haven't even had a governor for the last 8 years though. Snyder is practically invisible, and I assume it has everything to do with his complacency regarding the Flint water mess, which is still just fucking absurd that nothing has been done about that.

Women have absolutely rocked the results here tonight in my district; Gretchen Whitmer as our 2nd female governor, Debbie Stabenow winning her US Senate re-election, Jocelyn Benson as Secretary of State, Dana Nessel as AG, Elissa Slotkin for US Rep, Kara Hope for State Rep. Some of those are too close to call yet. All that with the proposals passing too just has me feeling relief right now.
    Yup, I had a good feeling that the Dems would swing it back after Snyder should be IN PRISON because of Flint. Stabenow, I don’t know, there were a WHOLE LOT of Michigan Republican loudmouth douchebags on Twitter gunning against her. But it looks like the Flint Effect caused a Michigan Blue Wave. Yay, Michigan women!!!!

Term limits for Governor weren’t imposed until 1992. Engler served three terms until he was term-limited.

(I was born during Swainson, LOL LOL which of course I totally do not remember, but I DO remember George Romney and all the rest)

John B. Swainson 1961-1962 D
    George Romney 1963-1969 R
    William G. Milliken 1969-1982 R
    James J. Blanchard 1983-1990 D
    John M. Engler 1991-2002 R
    Jennifer M. Granholm 2003-2010 D
    Rick Snyder 2011-2018 R

Illinois is pretty much a swing state when it comes to Governors, too. Illinois hasn’t had a female Governor, yet, though! Wtf!

ALSO IN MICHIGAN: PROPOSAL 2 WON!!! AWESOME!!!!

https://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf...roposal_2.html
    Last edited by allegro; 11-07-2018 at 12:10 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yup, I had a good feeling that the Dems would swing it back after Snyder should be IN PRISON because of Flint. Stabenow, I don’t know, there were a WHOLE LOT of Michigan Republican loudmouth douchebags on Twitter gunning against her. But it looks like the Flint Effect caused a Michigan Blue Wave.

Term limits for Governor weren’t imposed until 1992. Engler served three terms until he was term-limited.

I was born during Swainson, LOL LOL.

John B. Swainson 1961-1962 D
    George Romney 1963-1969 R
    William G. Milliken 1969-1982 R
    James J. Blanchard 1983-1990 D
    John M. Engler 1991-2002 R
    Jennifer M. Granholm 2003-2010 D
    Rick Snyder 2011-2018 R
    wow lol, I guess Milliken would've been governor when I was born, but I really only remember from Blanchard on. That's really fucking gross that Engler got 3 terms. Even more gross yet I still have to see his face on TV a lot since he's (laughably) the current President of MSU. I'm ashamed to be a Spartan lately.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Minnesota went hella blue this year! In addition to keeping Amy Klobuchar and Tina Smith in the US Senate, the Second and Third Congressional districts went to Democrats (buh-bye, Erik Paulsen!). Voters in Minneapolis elected Ilhan Omar to Congress, making her the first Somali-American Congressional representative and one of two Muslim women in Congress. (The other being Rashida Tlaib of Michigan.) The major State offices (Governor and Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General, Secretary of State, and State Auditor) were also won by Democrats. I love my state!

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leo3375 View Post
    Minnesota went hella blue this year! In addition to keeping Amy Klobuchar and Tina Smith in the US Senate, the Second and Third Congressional districts went to Democrats (buh-bye, Erik Paulsen!). Voters in Minneapolis elected Ilhan Omar to Congress, making her the first Somali-American Congressional representative and one of two Muslim women in Congress. (The other being Rashida Tlaib of Michigan.) The major State offices (Governor and Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General, Secretary of State, and State Auditor) were also won by Democrats. I love my state!
    Also, Dave Hutch for Hennepin County Sheriff!

The previous sheriff, Stanuck, was just horrendous. He openly collaborates with ICE to help terrorize immigrants in our community. He also sent a bunch of our officers over to the Standing Rock protests. I'll never forgive him for that. Big surprise, he's a huge Trump idiot. Just an awful person in every single way.

Dave Hutch, on the other hand, is a great dude. I met him after my last caucus and I was so impressed with him. He's specifically talked a lot about Stanuck's abuse of immigrants. He explained that, as sheriff, there are certain things you're required to do by law with regard to undocumented immigrants, but Stanuck was incredibly aggressive and went way beyond the law. He talked at length about how we're a community, and immigrants are part of that, and in fact they often don't reach out to police when they're in trouble out of fear of being caught, which is why they're so vulnerable to crime and abuse. He stressed that police should serve everyone in the community. After hearing so much of Trump's rhetoric, his words were like a breath of fresh air, and I am overjoyed that he won!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Tony Evers beat Scott Walker in Wisconsin.

(Doing my happy dance.)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    My two cents.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I honestly thought Beto was going to beat Ted Cruz for a minute.

I still see him as a possible presidential candidate.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    100% convinced that the Georgia race was decided via voter suppression. I do not believe that Kemp would have won in a fair, unrestricted election.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    There's an Instagram post from The Independent doing the rounds showing someone using a touch screen to vote Democrat and it just constantly selecting Republican. I dunno whether it's real or not...but that's a scary thought.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    There's an Instagram post from The Independent doing the rounds showing someone using a touch screen to vote Democrat and it just constantly selecting Republican. I dunno whether it's real or not...but that's a scary thought.
    Link? Not seeing that anywhere.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Link? Not seeing that anywhere.
    This was it

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp4GFIHn...d=itc2a00lspn5

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    back to gridlock. yay.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    back to gridlock. yay.
    Yeah, because total control by one party is sooooooo much better.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Interesting. My guess is it's a shitty digitizer, but I wouldn't rule out tampering without an independent investigation by tech professionals.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Interesting. My guess is it's a shitty digitizer, but I wouldn't rule out tampering without an independent investigation by tech professionals.
    Yeah that was my assumption, i didn't want to go all in on "they've hacked the tech" just yet. Could just be an isolated incident...i hope it's just an isolated incident.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Yeah, because total control by one party is sooooooo much better.
    don't misunderstand me, none of it is good. & it's all a farce since the big corporations are the ones really running things. here in seattle we had a carbon tax on the ballot that was defeated. big oil dumped tons of money into defeating it, including buying endorsements from all the major newspapers in the state. totally disgusting.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    So, let's break this down -

This is the big national news - Democrats retake the House after losing it in 2010. This kills the legislative agenda of Donald Trump for the next two years. No more attempts to repeal ACA, no more tax cuts for billionaires and corporations, no strict immigration laws. Nancy Pelosi is likely to become the Speaker even though she will face a potential win by a smaller margin than previous speakers. Many young progressives won their House races.

Democrats picked up several Governorships, notable in Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Kansas, New Mexico and Nevada. Some orgs have called Maine as well. This gives more states the ability to un-fuck their gerrymandered districts post-2020 census and will allow states to start passing progressive agendas that could gain popularity nationwide. Of note, Andrew Gillum lost to Ron DeSantis by what could be less than 1 point while Georgia has not been finalized. Stacey Abrams has predicted a runoff vote amidst reports of major voting issues at polls and constant fuckery by the SOS and her opponent, Brian Kemp. Kris Kobach, a staunch anti-voting rights SOS was defeated in Kansas by State Sen. Laura Kelly.

The GOP held onto the Senate and flipped several seats including Missouri, Indiana and North Dakota. Arizona, Montana and Florida have not been called yet, but Republicans are holding slim leads in those polls. This was always going to be the rough spot for Dems since they were defending so many seats in states that went for Trump in 2016 and Romney in 2012. Of note, Beto O'Rourke lost to Ted Cruz by less than 3 points in a race that Cruz should've blown out, and Beto's wave helped Dems flip two seats in the House.

In a world where Donald Trump lost to Hillary Clinton by 3 points nationally but won the right states to win the EC, and where Democrats look to have outvoted Republicans in this midterm by more than 9 WHOLE POINTS in a deeply gerrymandered political map, this is likely the best-case scenario overall. I will take these results, even though I saw tough losses in my home state of Missouri and my current occupied state of Tennessee, and I am VERY ENCOURAGED by the reported turnout along with the political action of many new volunteers to get out the vote and start taking this thing back.

We should be mad as hell about what's happening in Georgia, that racism motivated A LOT of voters to turnout and vote for Republicans, and that Beto O'Rourke won't be replacing Ted Cruz, but there is a lot of good news and good shifts in certain parts of this country that were seen as off limits to progressive ideas. We need to harness that momentum and continue to ride it forward. This wasn't going to be fixed in one election, and it's going to take MANY MORE elections to change a lot of this bullshit we deal with in the US, but the ballot measures that passed in states like Florida for convicted felons and their voting rights, minimum wages votes, medicaid expansion votes, the unanimous jury vote in Louisiana, and many others show that we can win common-sense arguments.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Trump is on a Twitter binge about how last night was a huge victory and whatnot. He cannot get more pathetic than that.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I'm genuinely surprised he hasn't started blaming Dem's for cheating or something.