Thread: David Lynch directs the "Came Back Haunted" video!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Lynch is kinda past his prime. Looks like they shot the video on DSLR, so i'm not expecting great things.

Give Rob S. a decent budget, and he'll do better than Lynch.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    Lynch is kinda past his prime. Looks like they shot the video on DSLR, so i'm not expecting great things.

first of all, DSLRs can do a hell of a lot of awesome stuff. the season 5 finale of house was shot entirely on a DSLR and it looked incredible.

second, lynch is not past his prime. he's making some pretty interesting music, and trying to figure out how to continue being a filmmaker in an industry that no longer has a place for weird/visionary directors.

not knocking rob, because i love his work all around, but david lynch is on a completely different level. rob has never written/produced/directed/edited/sound designed a feature-length film. he doesn't have the experience (or the mind) of lynch. the comparison is nonsense.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    My point about the dslr was that someone like Lynch shouldn't be budget constrained, and so there is no real reason to use DSLRs at this point. They used a 5D mkii on that one episode of "House" because they were shooting in very confined spaces, and 5 years ago, there was nothing else that small that could create usable footage.

As far as my provocative Rob S. statement. Yah, I know don't have much evidence to support that statement, other than instinct. Of all the HTDA videos, his work on the Loop Closes was the best.

That, and David Lynch is an old farty pants, who whines because other people won't finance his crappy vanity projects. And he hasn't made a good movie since the Elephant Man.

http://entertainment.stv.tv/showbiz/...iewing-habits/

/end_rant

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    My point about the dslr was that someone like Lynch shouldn't be budget constrained, and so there is no real reason to use DSLRs at this point. They used a 5D mkii on that one episode of "House" because they were shooting in very confined spaces, and 5 years ago, there was nothing else that small that could create usable footage.
    But did it look bad? Would it have looked better if they had used the equipment they normally shot on? And would a music video benefit from being shot on, what, film? Or a RED? I frankly don't get the complaint here.

As far as my provocative Rob S. statement. Yah, I know don't have much evidence to support that statement, other than instinct. Of all the HTDA videos, his work on the Loop Closes was the best.
    Honestly, I'm just glad the video's not animated, like DL's previous music videos. I'm not really sure how you'd compare The Loop Closes to, well, anything by David Lynch. That video is less about directing and more about effecting. A bunch of it is stock footage. Your statement about Rob Sheridan isn't provocative, it's naive.

That, and David Lynch is an old farty pants, who whines because other people won't finance his crappy vanity projects. And he hasn't made a good movie since the Elephant Man.
    Tell me how you really feel

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    My point about the dslr was that someone like Lynch shouldn't be budget constrained...
    Right, because the only reason to shoot on a DSLR is because you have no money.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Right, because the only reason to shoot on a DSLR is because you have no money.
    Yes, welcome to 2013, where budget IS the only reason to use a DSLR on set.

To be clear, I'm not saying Rob S. will ever be as great as David Lynch was. I'm saying I'd take a 33 year old Rob vs. a 68 year old Lynch, if i was trying to make a video to attract new NIN fans.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

To be clear, I'm not saying Rob S. will ever be as great as David Lynch was. I'm saying I'd take a 33 year old Rob vs. a 68 year old Lynch, if i was trying to make a video to attract new NIN fans.
    fuck, you are an arrogant asshole.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    fuck, you are an arrogant asshole.
    Not to mention ageist.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Can you explain why with thoughtful reasoning? I'm genuinely curious to hear a reason other than "because X camera is better, that's why".

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Can you explain why with thoughtful reasoning? I'm genuinely curious to hear a reason other than "because X camera is better, that's why".
    In short, because the 5D has a shitty internal codec, which makes the camera's dynamic range seem even more limited than it already is, and doesn't even output true 1080. It also suffers from moire and rolling shutter. It can be hacked to output raw, which improves the dynamic range and resolution, but I don't think that's what they are using.

Do you want more detail?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

/end_rant
    complaining about the film industry not being a good outlet for single-minded creative people anymore (due to the obsession of money-making instead of art-making) and complaining about the way people watch films these days are both totally valid.

also, his "crappy vanity projects" are films that a whole lot of people really like. if you think he hasn't made a "good" film since the elephant man, i really don't understand your definition of good film.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    dslr
    I bet I can shoot better videos and take better pictures with a point-and-shoot-6MP old camera than you can with a full blown camera and a dolly.

Take advice from a couple other guys. It's not the camera that's important, it's important how you use that camera and how you can maximize its results.

Lynch can shoot a video with a rock and a woodpecker, Flintstones style, and it would still be fantastic.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD View Post
    I bet I can shoot better videos and take better pictures with a point-and-shoot-6MP old camera than you can with a full blown camera and a dolly.
    Cheap talk. Prove it,and let's see what you got.

Take advice from a couple other guys. It's not the camera that's important, it's important how you use that camera and how you can maximize its results.
    You might not be able to tell the difference between something shot on RED versus and iPhone, but most people can.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Cheap talk. Prove it,and let's see what you got.
    You've already admitted that you're an arrogant asshole, why would you expect anyone to put forth any effort to prove anything to you?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenLeslie View Post
    You've already admitted that you're an arrogant asshole, why would you expect anyone to put forth any effort to prove anything to you?
    I don't. Duhhhh.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Prove it
    Your - turn. Shot with a Kodak Easyshare C613.
    Let's take it outside punk and leave this thread for its actual purpose.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Well played. I'll PM you my response.

To everyone else.

I love the song. I hope that the video is smashing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sweet photos MAD! Add you as a contact on flickr!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

/end_rant
    David Lynch doesn't use dslr because of budget issues, he uses it because he enjoys using it over film.

And calling him an "old farty pants" shows how really mature and intelligent you are. Also, you're really gonna talk trash about him for "whining", when really, the only one whining is you about a video you haven't even seen yet? Go eat a dick.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    first of all, DSLRs can do a hell of a lot of awesome stuff. the season 5 finale of house was shot entirely on a DSLR and it looked incredible.
    Also see the movie Act of Valor, it's cinematography is gorgeous. All filmed on the 5D Mark II baby!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I love Rob's work, but no, he can't. I'm pretty sure he would agree too.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

This! Also, as you can see in the pictures, it's also in black and white. This entire video is going to be just a glorified demo for some instagram filters.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Angry

YOU CAN FUCK OFF YOU HOMOEROTIC DOUCHE BAG!

Sorry, but jesus. Some of the greatest pieces of cinema were made using a DSLR in the past 5 years. I just graduated from film school and guess what everyone trained on??? DSLR and Red. So first off, before you make comments about DSLR and what kind of image they can provide, try studying up on your camera knowledge.

Obviously there is a particular reason Lynch used a DSLR and my guess would be the cost/ease of use/and time contraints. (have you every worked with a raw RED files, or edited actual film from an ARRI. NO I will bet my left nut you have not. And btw Rob uses FUCKING DSLRs.

On a side note...Love the video

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Sorry, but jesus. Some of the greatest pieces of cinema were made using a DSLR in the past 5 years.
    Exaggerate much?

I just graduated from film school and guess what everyone trained on??? DSLR and Red. So first off, before you make comments about DSLR and what kind of image they can provide, try studying up on your camera knowledge.
    So what you're saying is you wasted your money and you are now unemployed. Good for you!

I've edited R3D files before (rented), but never Alexa. I own a 5D2, 5D3, and a BMCC. But i'm sure you know soooooo much more than I do.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Exaggerate much?

But i'm sure you know soooooo much more than I do.
    Based on the ignorance of your original post, I probably do. And no I am not unemployed. I dont even see how you came to that conclusion from my post.

And if you hate DSLR so much why do own the 5DMII and III?

Sorry, this will be my last post from taking this thread off topic but your original post was completely ignorant and trollish. The fact that you said Rob should have shot it would have garnered a damn near similar video yet with the difference of glitch art. Rob has used DLSRs on the last few NIN shoots minus BYIT. So that comment is invalid. Secondly I dont understand the criticism about using a DSLR. Ive shot numerous shows, short films etc using Canon and they are an amazing piece of machinery. Granted film and the RED look amazing. But if the filmmaker wants the look that a DSLR gives them, why should automatically assume that said project will be shit?

Great Films which made use of DSLRs
    Black Swan
    127 Hours
    Limitless
    Placebo: Coming Up for Air
    I Melt With You

I apologize for the douche bag comment, as it was out of line but it really chaps my ass when people critisize things that many people use as means of presenting a piece of art the way they want it shown. Personly I think DSLRs were a great thing to happen in the film industry but to each his own. truce.
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 06-28-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Are you fucking twelve?