Page 37 of 57 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1687

Thread: Sexual Abuse/Assault in the News

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    If you're not an EtS troll, then surely you'd know by now that several responses like this in a row (and the ensuing facepalms from two admins), coupled with a low participation rate overall, means you're close to being banned right?
    Banned for what? I try to keep it classy and not insult people, but I admit that it’s not always the case.

It’s a very touchy subject, I get it, but it doesn’t cease to amaze me how some people her would rather insult and offend, while patting themselves on the back... how is that supposed to lead to some kind of mutual understanding? There doesn’t seem to be a desire for an actual conversation other than that one going on between people who agree with each other. There is no room for debate whatsoever.

The ironic thing is that it’s that attitude that ends up creating negative responses. Why not being constructive and work towards something and help people understand certain things instead of being so angry and destructive? How are more people supposed to learn, grow and follow you if the first reaction to any question is to insult?

My first question was valid. And no, I was not trolling as some people here choose to see it. I shouldn’t have to explain myself, but here I go:

I do not follow news. Not on tv, not on the radio, not online. Mostly because when I had the news widget on my phone activated, all
    I got in the morning was bad news. And i noticed how going down that rabbit hole had absolutely ZERO positive impact in my life, au contraire.

So, yeah, I’m disconnected from that whole washroom debate, and the original post that i quoted was written in a way that would lead anyone who doesn’t follow the subject to believe that there are morons out there trying to keep trans people from using public washrooms (which is stupid, but hey, it wouldn’t be surprising).

So there you go. My mistake was not being up to date on the public washroom debate and reading a poorly written post.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    My mistake was not being up to date on the public washroom debate
    slow clap for you, my friend. This is the correct response. If you have any opinions about gender and bathroom assignments, feel free to continue the discussion. But don't expect people to cater to your ignorance on the subject. Especially one that is a hot button topic.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Sexual Asshatery in the News

Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    slow clap for you, my friend. This is the correct response. If you have any opinions about gender and bathroom assignments, feel free to continue the discussion. But don't expect people to cater to your ignorance on the subject. Especially one that is a hot button topic.
    The mistake part was sarcasm. Why would i be expected to be up to date on the subject (or any other for that matter)? Has being insulted ever led you to develop an interest in what the other person is saying? That’s the most backwards way to go at it.

I never expected anyone to “cater to my ignorance”, that’s a very arrogant statement. “Hot button topic” seems to be synonymous with condescension and a free pass to insult others while looking oh so tolerant and enlightened.

Just give trans people their own washrooms. Clearly, some people won’t be comfortable around them in the male or female washrooms.

Of course it’s not as easy, but it will happen anyway, it’s just a matter of time (and money), in the same way that ramps and special washrooms/stalls were installed for people with disabilities cause the existing ones were inaccessible.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    The mistake part was sarcasm. Why would i be expected to be up to date on the subject (or any other for that matter)?
    Usually, people are held to the high standard that when they talk about shit they are expected to be familiar with the shit they're talking about.

Just give trans people their own washrooms. Clearly, some people won’t be comfortable around them in the male or female washrooms.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    *nonsense*
    Yeah, a "transgeder-only" bathroom is the way to go. Right.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I wasn’t trolling, it was a valid question since that is what was written.

Based on that post, I thought maybe there was an internet mob complaining about trans people using male or female public washrooms.
    There was. Like, for several months. Even crazy people boycotting Target because they installed “family” bathrooms.

But you can use Google, right?

Type “transgender bathroom controversy” into Google and you’ll get a plethora of hits that will inform you.

See also this lawsuit: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/22/u...bathrooms.html

And see this: https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5...b0511db3e52825

Providing separate restrooms won’t and can’t happen primarily because of the cost. Even ADA-compliant restrooms are within existing restrooms and are not required of all establishments unless certain other criteria are first met. Requiring separate ADA or trans restrooms could put many establishments out of business. Plus, handicapped and trans people don’t WANT this burden. The option of an additional “Family” restroom has worked well for many municipalities and facilities because it fits for mothers with young boy children, fathers with young girl children, as well as trans individuals, all of whom wish to feel safe.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-14-2019 at 07:46 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Well if anything this thread is a good way of finding out who i should be ignoring, so that's something.

Back to R Kelly, is he EVER going to go down for all this stuff? This has been talked about for decades now and it just feels like he is untouchable to a certain extant...it's maddening!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Gillette took some initiative... Men, we need to get our shit together...

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdglss View Post
    Gillette took some initiative... Men, we need to get our shit together...
    Maybe I shouldn't be commenting on this yet because I haven't actually seen the ads. But here's what I've gathered just from headlines:

-Gillette comes out with ad saying toxic masculinity is just that, and asks guys to not be awful. I'm guessing nowhere in the ad does it claim that "literally all men are terrible and immediately need to become monks".
    -Toxic guys get super offended by it, starting screaming and crying that it's a "war on men" (fuck right off with that shit, losers), and promise to boycott P&G (good luck; go take a look at a list of every brand they own)
    -Non-toxic guys applaud Gillette for taking a corporate stance.

Is that about what's happening here?

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Mystikal’s New Record Deal May Allow Him to Post $3M Bail Before Rape Trial

http://thesource.com/2019/01/14/myst...re-rape-trial/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Maybe I shouldn't be commenting on this yet because I haven't actually seen the ads. But here's what I've gathered just from headlines:

-Gillette comes out with ad saying toxic masculinity is just that, and asks guys to not be awful. I'm guessing nowhere in the ad does it claim that "literally all men are terrible and immediately need to become monks".
    -Toxic guys get super offended by it, starting screaming and crying that it's a "war on men" (fuck right off with that shit, losers), and promise to boycott P&G (good luck; go take a look at a list of every brand they own)

Probably, in a nutshell. But then you have Meghan McCain on The View today talking about how she doesn't agree with the ad, either. But I swear she's paid to take the opposite stance that most of the panel has for everything just for good TV blah blah.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Majority Report rip on Meghan McCain all the time. It's the best.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Well the UK has finally done something right and made Upskirting illegal.

...how and why it wasn't banned already probably tells you everything you need to know about the people in charge and how good* a job they're doing.

*fucking awful

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    I wonder if Gillette ever attended a pool party. Like, the message is fine (not sure about the audience), but boy, some of it felt so out of touch it was just hard to watch and take seriously.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post

More or less.... there's also a contingent that feels it's obnoxious to have what feels like a corporation capitalize on their progressive values. To be fair though, that's nothing new. Pepsi has been the "voice of a new generation" for a while now.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Probably, in a nutshell. But then you have Meghan McCain on The View today talking about how she doesn't agree with the ad, either. But I swear she's paid to take the opposite stance that most of the panel has for everything just for good TV blah blah.
    I saw that episode of The View and it was clear that McCain did not know what “toxic masculinity” means; she took it to mean “all masculine men are bad” or “men shouldn’t be masculine” and the other hosts on The View tried explaining it to her but then they went to one of the 500 obligatory commercial breaks. (There’s really only about 10 minutes of air time, the rest is all commercials.)

Other View host Sunny Hostin also didn’t get it because she went on and on about how she taught her son that it’s okay to cry.

What cracks me up (but I don’t respond because ... lol) are these guys on Twitter responding to it with “Toxic Female” comments, “What’s really wrong with society are women” [insert reasons here]
    Last edited by allegro; 01-19-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    I saw that episode of The View and it was clear that McCain did not know what “toxic masculinity” means; she took it to mean “all masculine men are bad” or “men shouldn’t be masculine” and the other hosts on The View tried explaining it to her but then they went to one of the 500 obligatory commercial breaks. (There’s really only about 10 minutes of air time, the rest is all commercials.)
    I think a lot of men see it that way too. That Gillette is saying all men are bad. Poor guys are revealing themselves all over my Facebook timeline. Their fragile egos in pieces over a damn commercial. It’s food for thought not a life sentence.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I don't now if it's connected or not, and i honestly haven't made any comments on social media about the ad campaign at all, but within hours of this little controversy, Dollar Shave Club ads started popping up in my feed. I just found it to be ironic.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    I don't now if it's connected or not, and i honestly haven't made any comments on social media about the ad campaign at all, but within hours of this little controversy, Dollar Shave Club ads started popping up in my feed. I just found it to be ironic.
    Intentional. Gillette is owned by P&G while DSC is owned by Unilever. They both hate each other and compete in all arenas.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Well this is surprising...to no one.

US singer Chris Brown arrested in Paris on suspicion of rape

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...picion-of-rape

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Maybe we can be done with him now? Sadly, I imagine this will be plead to a point where he won't suffer any real punishment.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I can’t believe people are flagging and reporting this video, so far successfully having it yanked from twitter... simply cuz it doesn’t work with the way people are politically invested to excuse it.

https://twitter.com/amoneyresists/st...624272384?s=21

ADDITIONALLY... there's people defending this kid because it can't be confirmed he's from Covington Catholic High School. For some reason, it seems pretty likely that he would be, and also, I don't understand why that's relevant. He's associating with them, and they're all there on some March for Life presumably? It's not about the school. This trip is supposed to be some pro-life gesture, and we have the teens laughing at rape jokes. It'd be more comforting to think this shit is contained in one shitty school.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 01-22-2019 at 06:08 PM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    I think a lot of men see it that way too. That Gillette is saying all men are bad. Poor guys are revealing themselves all over my Facebook timeline. Their fragile egos in pieces over a damn commercial. It’s food for thought not a life sentence.
    Look at these bozos crying about it, talk about completely missing the point.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Lmao @ that fuck having the audacity to say nObOdY wAnTs To Be LeCtUrEd tO.

Though the #NOTALLMEN shit is exactly how I would expect him to respond. I have no idea who the other dude is but yes, I am oh so sure that the discrimination (?) he faces for having a southern accent is 100% totally the same as what women go through every day.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    You underestimate the power of rich white men... I want to see Singer officially be done after this, but those who wield the power are going to have to make sure he really is. Otherwise, we're due for his redemption arc in a year or two.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Lmao @ that fuck having the audacity to say nObOdY wAnTs To Be LeCtUrEd tO.

Though the #NOTALLMEN shit is exactly how I would expect him to respond. I have no idea who the other dude is but yes, I am oh so sure that the discrimination (?) he faces for having a southern accent is 100% totally the same as what women go through every day.
    A bit of a tangent - One thing that crossed my mind watching that, as someone FROM the Wichita, KS area: while you’ll definitely find “pockets of cool people” everywhere, you’re also gonna run into just as many closed-minded assholes. Whether one group outnumbers the other is impossible to say, sure, but it’s absolutely there. I knew plenty of people who stopped talking to me when they found out I was dating a girl with mixed heritage (these people were no longer my friends, btw). I walked around downtown Hutchinson (about 30 minutes from Wichita) all the time when I was younger and there were literally swastikas spray-painted on old sheds and the backs of buildings, all kinds of places if you go to some of the worse-off neighborhoods. Even I, as a shaved-headed white dude, felt uncomfortable being around that shit. Representative of the entire community? No way, because there are more people there that I have fond memories and ongoing friendly relationships with. But the shit is there, whether you want to admit it or not.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 01-23-2019 at 12:28 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm way behind in this thread, but Obama's not 100% innocent

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    A bit of a tangent - One thing that crossed my mind watching that, as someone FROM the Wichita, KS area: while you’ll definitely find “pockets of cool people” everywhere, you’re also gonna run into just as many closed-minded assholes. Whether one group outnumbers the other is impossible to say, sure, but it’s absolutely there. I knew plenty of people who stopped talking to me when they found out I was dating a girl with mixed heritage (these people were no longer my friends, btw). I walked around downtown Hutchinson (about 30 minutes from Wichita) all the time when I was younger and there were literally swastikas spray-painted on old sheds and the backs of buildings, all kinds of places if you go to some of the worse-off neighborhoods. Even I, as a shaved-headed white dude, felt uncomfortable being around that shit. Representative of the entire community? No way, because there are more people there that I have fond memories and ongoing friendly relationships with. But the shit is there, whether you want to admit it or not.
    Fucking hell! Glad you aren't friends with those people anymore. It's kinda of the same in certain parts of the UK (well the south east), and unfortunately some people i'm related too (i'm 99% sure if i started dating anyone who wasn't female, white and spoke English as a first language all but my sisters would disown me...hell my mother has told me as much!)

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Sexual Asshatery in the News

Quote Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
    I'm way behind in this thread, but Obama's not 100% innocent
    What is your point in posting this? Obama apologized just hours after saying that but you don’t include that fact in your post. It’s almost as if he immediately understood the impact of what he was saying and made amends.
    Tell me how he’s “not 100% innocent”?