113 Post(s)

2018.09.29 Nashville, TN @ Ascend Amphitheatre

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can now die happy after seeing The Perfect Drug

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    It was a great show. Glad to hear he felt playing these shows is worth all the work. It made me so happy, tonight. Even the emotionally charged stuff.

His voice is fantastic. The list was good. My neighbors could have been better, but they weren’t anything I couldn’t ignore. Long story...

My highlights were seeing Trent play the sax on stage twice, TPD, and hearing Over and Out. So much else kicked ass, too though. Any setlist hopes I had still have time to be filled. I have 4 more shows to go on my vacation in October.

There were quite a few people who’d come to make up for LTL. Most didn’t know JAMC and I must have been their biggest/oldest fan there. Well, at least in my region. I finally, FINALLY got my “Happy When It Rains” and it was the best. The. Best.

I’ll be trying to get very close in Chicago just to be closer to JAMC.

Such a perfect night out. Couldn’t have planned better. I feel gratitude for all of this, tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    The show was great. I loved dear world last night and hearing the perfect drug again. (twice in four days for me). Robin’s tds screams bring all the nostalgia.

Here are a few phone snaps from my amazing view last night.
    https://instagram.com/p/BoWtffvnM75u...Cwk1FkU7SBB80/

Thank you nine inch nails for these amazing performances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My neighbors were a couple who had awkwardly long makeout sessions throughout the night. Other than that, I couldn't have asked for a better show. I have a newfound respect for JAMC, and Tobacco was a trip. Dug that Hungry Eyes cover.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Just got back in from St. Louis about ago after making last night's show a road trip with the girlfriend and I and we had an amazing time. Ended up staying in the Brentwood area and we loved it there. Went to the Broadway bars on Friday night and more than likely had a few too much to drink ... but enjoyed the hell out of it.

I LOVED this venue so much. @Kid A was completely right in what a great place it is layout and sound wise. Again, thank you dude for snagging us the tickets on Physical World pre-sale ... you helped make this whole trip happen!

Tobacco was a huge highlight for me as I've been a fan of his for a long time, but have only seen his main band in Black Moth Super Rainbow live. Holy hell does his material translate well live and especially in a type of setting he played at last night. If anyone's new to Tobacco, I highly recommend his album "Maniac Meat" and "Cobra Juicy" by Black Moth Super Rainbow.

Jesus and Mary Chain sounded really good too, though unfortunately I'm only really familiar with "Psychocandy." However, that didn't take away from how much I just enjoyed their set as I like their sound a lot. Though, my personal bias towards Tobacco probably gives him the edge in stealing the show as far as openers go.

As far as Nine Inch Nails' set ... man. That was everything I could have hoped for in how this tour was shaping up. Hearing "The Perfect Drug" live was one of those "holy shit" moments that you get from absolutely loving a band so much. It sounds INCREDIBLE live and it should seriously continue to be a staple of shows from here on out. Trent's vocals were great and the whole band sounded awesome. This has easily been the best they've sounded as a live unit - with my first show being in 2005, I've seen the With Teeth tour, Lights in the Sky, NIN|JA and Tension ... and this may have been the best out of all of them. I think that also has to do with a great set list as well ... finally being able to hear their cover of "I'm Afraid of Americans" as well as "Sanctified" and "The Day the World Went Away" were songs I couldn't wait to add to my "seen live list. Everything from the trilogy worked really well live too with all the "Bad Witch" material and "Dear World," being my favorites. I LOVE "God Break Down the Door" and "Ahead of Ourselves" so damn much and especially even more now after getting to see it live. GBDTD has this creepy vibe that just sounds so good. While hearing "Physical" was awesome, I did see it in 2009 once before so I would've loved to have gotten "Happiness in Slavery", "Mr. Self Destruct" or others ... but it was still great. The crowd next to us on the lawn at times was a little obnoxious and I felt a little bad for my girlfriend as it seems no matter where we go, the tallest people in the world always stand in front of her to where she can't see ... but we moved around to keep getting good viewing areas.

Another highlight of this show for me was no "Year Zero" material being played as well as the first time I didn't get the "Frail / Wretched" combo. Super unpopular opinions I'm sure ... but YZ still hasn't clicked with me no matter how many times I revisit it and as great as "Frail/Wretched" is ... I always would rather hear a different cut from "The Fragile" as opposed to those two.

I am SO sad that I might not be able to catch another show on this tour this year. I would love to make the Saturday show in Chicago, but plans are up in the air this fall ... so I'm just beyond happy that everything turned out perfect last night. It was a great road trip, the weather was beautiful and I got to experience more of Nashville. Can't wait to visit again!

For anyone interested in checking out some clips ... here's some short samples I uploaded on Instagram!

"Wish"
    "Less Than"
    "Sanctified"
    "Dear World,"
    "Shit Mirror"
    "Ahead of Ourselves"
    "THE PERFECT DRUG"
    "I'm Afraid of Americans"
    "The Day the World Went Away"
    "Hurt"
    Last edited by thefragile_jake; 09-30-2018 at 11:31 PM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Here’s me next to the sign at the show. I love the sign. I mainly wanted to go to the presale just to see the sign. They didn’t have it in Atlanta. I kinda want to put it on my balcony for October. It looks halloween-ish. I’m sure my neighbors would not care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Last night was a whirlwind of emotions for me. My boyfriend and I trekked from small-town eastern Kentucky to wait hours in line with everyone else to buy tickets in May. What we didn't know at that time was that this show would literally become our honeymoon. With rings on fingers, tickets in hands, and "Just Married" signs in pockets, we celebrated our first full day as husband & wife with our favorite band unknowingly serenading us.

Tobacco's heavy synth vibrated my very core and I LOVED it! My immediate thought was, "This is like something from Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!". Until the next day, I was oblivious to the fact that 1) This is the brainchild of Black Moth Super Rainbow, and 2) Eric Wareheim directed some of the visuals that were assaulting my eyes. Speaking of 'eyes', "Hungry Eyes" brought me so much joy and discomfort at the same time. Overall, I felt like I'd been sucked into some late night Adult Swim vortex. It was so much fun and I want to do it again.

I don't really have much to say about JaMC. They weren't bad. I recognized "Just Like Honey" from 'Lost in Translation', which is one of my favorite movies. I felt like their performance was completely overshadowed by my anticipation for NIN, which is no fault of their own.

I may be slightly biased, but I have nothing but good to say about NIN. I'm such a fan of the varied 'anything goes' format and stripped down production. It's much more fun trying to guess than to know what to expect from the setlist. I would have loved more Hesitation Marks tracks, but that's OK. I saw Tension twice, so I got mine! Like so many others have said, "The Perfect Drug" was the "holy shit" moment. Ilan's drumming was impeccable and he somehow managed to prevent his arms from flying off of his body. The trifecta of Bad Witch tracks was a lot of fun. "God Break Down the Door" is an interesting composition and works well in a live setting. I'm so ridiculously happy that Robin's vocal duties are increasing. I knew what to expect with "Shit Mirror", but "Dear, World" was an amazing surprise to me.

Trent still sounds amazing.
    'sandro is killing it on bass.
    Missed opportunity to end with "The Background World" and to walk away during the 52x loop.
    Saxomaphone!

Newlyweds!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This was the first NIN show my husband and I have seen, and it was an awesome first experience.
    We were the first ones there. We were the first ones in the fast pass lane when they finally decided to open it up at 3 pm. We were front and center on the rail in the PIT.
    We're both younger, at 23, and haven't had the opportunity to really see NIN because we're originally from Hawaii and moved to Tennessee right after the 2013 Tour.
    Thank you Trent Reznor. I really wish I had tickets to more shows this tour, but I don't think we'd even be able to have an experience as great as this one. Great set list, great spots in the PIT, and great company during our 20 hour wait for the show. Even got a set list handed to me from Daemon after the show when the Ascend guys gave them to him to give out. Had another great fan pick up a poster for us before they sold out.
    There was a fight in the pit in the middle of the perfect drug (screw those guys) but everything else was perfect.
    Cheers guys, Nashville was great!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andallthatcouldhavebeen View Post
    we're originally from Hawaii and moved to Tennessee
    You did this wrong.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Hah, Hawaii was nice but cost of living was way to high. We realized this at 19 and left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tobacco was great, pleasant surprise to see them live. Hungry Eyes as everyone else has mentioned (and that Strokemon music video, lol)

JAMC was a fun show as well, I'm relatively new to their music and had only listened to their first 2 albums before the show.

NIN top moments, big and small:
    -this latest rendition of Sanctified is awesome
    -Perfect Drug (and seeing that one guy get pulled from the crowd and thrown out during)
    -watching the top security guy in from of the rail getting blinded by the massive lightshow during the beginning of HLAH (he was a trooper)

Got some phone video clips recorded. I was on the rail towards Atticus's end. I was able to rest the camera on my tour t-shirt, on the rail itself. So the camera is pretty dang steady and decent quality; audio quality is mediocre to poor. Songs I got vids of are below (most are partials, ranging from 50-100ish%):
    -Less Than
    -Sanctified
    -The Lovers
    -Reptile
    -Dear World
    -Shit Mirror
    -Perfect Drug
    -Physical
    -Gave Up
    -HLAH
    -TDTWWA

If anyone is interested I can post them somewhere, let me know where the best place for that might be (long time lurker here). An anonymous upload option is preferred. Also do you think the NINLive archive would be interested at all in the video footage?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    For @Andallthatcouldhavebeen ! :-)

After three shows in 'seats', even if two were pretty durn close, there is nothing like rail! And I am happy to have met so many cool peeps that day.
    Show was awesome of course. May I never die while there is a chance to see NIN live!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m0reta View Post
    Thank you. That video is kick ass and you had a perfect view of Robin. If I hadn't decided I wanted center, I would have wanted your spot, hehe.

I want to share another story from my experience that doesn't really have much to do with the concert, but I felt was one that was important.
    My husband and I got there and camped so naturally, we dealt with homeless people all night and didnt really sleep. In the middle of the day, there was a homeless woman that came by our group with a book and a sad story about how things weren't going great for her. We tolerated her, to be polite. She pulled her shirt down and started flashing her titties, telling us they've been hurting. I lost my shit. I cussed her out and said we didnt want her there. She started arguing with someone else who mentioned the cops. @m0reta diffused the situation, grabbing her book and telling her she was willing to read with her. Everyone else ignored her and they sat there reading, with no more issues arising. Homeless lady left when they were reading and she yelled at us about wanting a cigarette, and no one gave her one.

My concert experience wouldn't have been the same without the cool people I had hung out with before hand and enjoyed the show with. Thanks m0reta, for showing me compassion can still go a long way, and for the poster you snagged us.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)