Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: The Apple Thread

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Apple Thread (R.I.P. Steve)

Quote Originally Posted by joymode View Post
    For what it's worth. Give safari a shot. It integrates really well with the os. And syncs with your iOS devices wonderfully I don't even deal with Firefox anymore.
    I agree. I have Firefox for certain things, but mostly use Safari on my Mac machines.

Meanwhile, I finally caved and upgraded to the newest OS on my iPhone 4S last night.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-30-2012 at 08:01 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    No, that's good to hear coming from you guys. I just automatically went for what I had on PC. Good to know.

One thing I noted liking about Safari is the tabs don't show the X until you hover over the tab or have it clicked (can't remember at the moment). Whichever it was, I preferred it over having accidentally closing a tab on Mozilla because of how the X always appears on their tabs.

Edit: By the way, @allegro , the Mozilla instructions you gave me worked. The simple drag to Applications.
    Last edited by Amaro; 11-30-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    if you really wanna impress the girls, start playing with automator. i love that stupid script maker.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    So what's up with the new itunes, not sure I like it. I miss cover flow

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    So what's up with the new itunes, not sure I like it. I miss cover flow
    I actually dig it, its much much faster than it used to be and I like the new search... took a while to find my way around tho.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I hate that scrolling with a non-Apple mouse is really slow in the new iTunes.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Jesus the new iTunes is WEIRD wtf

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    On previous versions, you used to be able to highlight a bunch of songs, and it would say on the bottom how long that selection of songs is and how long it will take you to listen to it all. Is there no way to do this anymore?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    first iPhone 5... then the iPad mini... now this "upgrade".... hurray!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    thanks for the heads up guys I almost downloaded it without thinking, but was using itunes and didnt wanna wait for the update. And then I just happened to read this thread and all the shitty things about it. dodged a bullet there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hate the new iTunes. It's annoying to have to only have your playlists open or the library, and I don't like the album or artists view at all. Ugh.

V Thanks Ax! You can also bring the old bottom status bar back. Whew, I like it a little more now. I guess my only complaint now is the lack of album art in the regular list view.
    Last edited by darktemplar007; 12-06-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darktemplar007 View Post
    I hate the new iTunes. It's annoying to have to only have your playlists open or the library, and I don't like the album or artists view at all. Ugh.
    On iTunes go to 'view' then 'show sidebar' and you have the old sidebar back!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ax Mr. L View Post
    On iTunes go to 'view' then 'show sidebar' and you have the old sidebar back!
    I meant to like.

Yes, this is one step to comfort.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Is it just me, or does the iTunes window not fit the screen properly when fully expanded? (I'm on Windows)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    On previous versions, you used to be able to highlight a bunch of songs, and it would say on the bottom how long that selection of songs is and how long it will take you to listen to it all. Is there no way to do this anymore?
    itunes 11 still does that, but you may need to trigger an option from the view menu. "show status bar"

---

i kinda miss cover flow, at the same time i can't say i ever used it much for browsing, once you get too the point of "too many albums" it gets in the way.

don't miss ping, or itunes dj.

looking into album view now, i do have to say that is pretty nice i like the way that view uses the colors from the album art and tries to use them for the text, that is pretty clever & looks slick.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Hi ladies and gents,
    Ever since trying to download the newest version of iTunes I've been getting this pesky message:

"This version of iTunes has not been correctly localized for this language. Please run the English version."

I've tried switching to 'British English', logging out, logging back in, switching to 'English', and that whole spiel but I still can't download the newest version successfully, and (most annoyingly) I can't open iTunes at all. Any advice? Thank you!!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by koz-ivan View Post
    itunes 11 still does that, but you may need to trigger an option from the view menu. "show status bar"
    Yeah I figured that out after posting, thanks. But it turns out I wasn't seeing it because the iTunes window doesn't fit the screen properly when fully expanded, anyone else notice this? (I'm on Windows)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    Hi ladies and gents,
    Ever since trying to download the newest version of iTunes I've been getting this pesky message:

"This version of iTunes has not been correctly localized for this language. Please run the English version."

I've tried switching to 'British English', logging out, logging back in, switching to 'English', and that whole spiel but I still can't download the newest version successfully, and (most annoyingly) I can't open iTunes at all. Any advice? Thank you!!
    looks like something similar happened with some itunes updates in the past, https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

what seems to have worked there is just to download the installer from apple.com/itunes and re-install.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Got my first iPhone today. I'm so happy! I will never go the Android route again. I had nothing but issues with that thing - super slow, terrible battery life (to the point where I'd never use it for fear it might die on me at an inopportune time), not user-friendly. The only thing I'll miss is the pull-out keyboard. I don't know how I feel about the touch screen keyboard yet. I have a feeling much typo-ing will ensue.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

^^^^

Welcome to the winning side!

Android has some great features but I agree that battery life has always been terrible with that OS. As far as use friendliness goes; it depended on what phone you had. The biggest gripe I have with Android is the fact that its so damn fragmented. For example, when you go from a Motorola phone to an HTC, the user shouldn't have to relearn where "setting" menu is located. HTC loves to bury important stuff like that and it always drove me nuts.

What version of the iPhone did you get?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Re: The Apple Thread (R.I.P. Steve)

That's why you root your phone.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    That's why you root your phone.
    Even with rooting the OS always felt clunky to me. The only time I rooted my droid tablet was to remove the shit apps that came pre-installed. This is another reason why I love my iPhone. Apple doesn't install shit apps (ie: blockbuster app) and lock them to the device. Also, the camera has ALWAYS been better on the iPhone. The GS3 is the first android device to give the iPhone a run for the money when it came to the camera.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpenoctem View Post
    Got my first iPhone today. I'm so happy! I will never go the Android route again. I had nothing but issues with that thing - super slow, terrible battery life (to the point where I'd never use it for fear it might die on me at an inopportune time), not user-friendly. The only thing I'll miss is the pull-out keyboard. I don't know how I feel about the touch screen keyboard yet. I have a feeling much typo-ing will ensue.
    Give it time with the touch-only! I was only hesitant about switching to an iPhone because of this, over a year ago, and I have really been more than fine since I went for it. I still do a typo often enough but it's mostly because I'm too lazy sometimes to really focus or, like now, I'm laying on my side and it's hard to be lined up perfectly straight. (I always prefer typing with the iPhone vertical.) The point is the autocorrect becomes a good, generally smart friend in these times. It's really a very well done touch keyboard though. The Apple touch interface in general is the best (let's be real lol), so, of course the keyboard rocks.
    Last edited by Amaro; 12-09-2012 at 09:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP
    What version of the iPhone did you get?
    The 4S. I remember vaguely hearing about an iPhone 5 recently but I guess Sprint is only offering last generation phones. Which is totally fine with me. I'm just getting my feet wet so I don't need anything super new. And to be honest I would be overwhelmed just with the iPhone that came out in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post
    Give it time with the touch-only! I was only hesitant about switching to an iPhone because of this, over a year ago, and I have really been more than fine since I went for it. I still do a typo often enough but it's mostly because I'm too lazy sometimes to really focus or, like now, I'm laying on my side and it's hard to be lined up perfectly straight. (I always prefer typing with the iPhone vertical.) The point is the autocorrect becomes a good, generally smart friend in these times. It's really a very well done touch keyboard though. The Apple touch interface in general is the best (let's be real lol), so, of course the keyboard rocks.
    Ooh, thanks, I think I will try it vertical and see if that's any better. I've only sent a few texts so far, and other than the spell-check suggesting "Omar" in place of "moar" (is there an in-built dictionary I can add my terrible Internet language to?) it was fine.

I've been spending the whole morning making awesome ringtones. I'm sure there was a way to do that with the Android phone but it was probably a lot more complex. This is super simple, can be done in a snap on iTunes (or on GarageBand if I'm looping 10-second samples, to be converted into AAC files on iTunes), and synced to your iPhone right away. If anyone doesn't already know how to do this, here's the video I used. (Though I will helpfully suggest you do not use Aerosmith as your ringtone. For your sake and for the sake of all those who are around you when you get a call.)

Last edited by carpenoctem; 12-09-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    This is another reason why I love my iPhone. Apple doesn't install shit apps (ie: blockbuster app) and lock them to the device.
    I disagree, and present the following for your consideration:

Newsstand
    Game Center
    Safari

And to a lesser extent...
    iOS6 Maps (note: I live in a city where I walk and take transit everywhere I go)
    Weather
    YouTube
    Compass

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post

Newsstand
    Game Center
    Safari

iOS6 Maps (note: I live in a city where I walk and take transit everywhere I go)
    Weather
    YouTube
    Compass
    Game Center doesn't get nearly enough hate. That thing automatically (and forcibly) links to some of my games and makes them buggy as hell.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Newsstand
    Game Center
    Safari

Ah yes, I forgot about the Game Center and Newstand. At least with these apps they don't eat up a truck load of space and cause the device to run slower. Besides, I JB my iPhone and remove/hide those two apps so its all good.

How is safari a crap app?

Weather
    YouTube
    Compass
    Maps is pretty weak and Apple has admitted this, but before that it was a great app. If you're looking for a good public transit app, get a free app like OneBusAway (however, this is only for the Seattle area. I'm sure there are other apps out there). I use this daily and have no issues getting around town via public transit.

The Weather app is fine. What more do you want it to do? It's better than any app that you can download and it gives you accurate weather reports. The Wearher.com app on Android is a huge resource hog and crashes constantly.

The YouTube app is now no longer pre-installed. Even before this change, the original app was great. I never had any issues and it worked flawlessly.

Compass: ok....this one might be pointless to the vast majority who own an iPhone. Lol

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I've just finished a project in San Francisco where I had to migrate 250 real estate agents over to google apps from a dated exchange system in less than 5 days... this was quite a project... but now after all is said and done... I have a new love for my iPhone

Of course I've always loved my iPhone, but now that im planning to move back into San Francisco, based on my usage of it this past week, its absolutely the most important device i own.

I use it obviously to communicate, but also, my soundcloud links to it, which is fantastic because im working with 3 bands right now that send me private tracks which i can listen to while im commuting around.

The timer function is a really obvious one, but i never had much use for it before this week. Setting the timer to remind me to feed the meter saved my ass a few times this week.

MESSAGES in sync with mountain lion on the mac is the most useful piece of software for communicating with team mates no matter where i am.

REMINDERS! This app is JUST FANTASTIC! I can sync reminders with other team members for different locations, and when I get to a location, im alerted to something i need to do there. It drains the battery but my phone is plugged in as much as possible, and i intend to get a battery case as soon as they are available for the 5. It syncs with my MBP and i can just check things off no matter what device im near.

I finally let go of my unlimited Data (Screw you att) because I needed to tether while im around the city. The LTE is damn amazing in SF. and it allowed me to be ultra efficient and deal with remote sessions via gotomeeting and logmein, on my macbook pro. You can spend a lot of time on public transit in the bay area. And to be able to work while traveling is gigantic.

Speaking of LTE, I had stellar connection pretty much everywhere in SF. I know att gets a lot of hate for connectivity in certain places, but San Francisco is not an issue as far as i can see...

Maps screwed me once this week. so im a little annoyed about that. But other than that, since i've lived in the bay area, there are some areas that have changed and I wasnt sure where to go. Maps 99% of the time had my back.

I got hungry for a burrito, so i asked siri, and i found that a block away i could get a burrito and a beer for lunch...

Gmail offers an exchange client for free when using Gmail accounts. I dont know if android offers that (i cant see why they wouldn't) but its an absolutely magnificent tool for synchronization.

Voice Memo's are great. I actually use them quite frequently

Occasionally when i need to use BART, the BART app lets me know where all the trains are and if they are on time.

When I'm over it all at the end of the day and i dont want to work anymore, I can play a stupid game or watch hulu and netflix. Or stream from my gigantic music library stored in iCloud. And then when i get home I turn my TV on and control my stereo and TV with the Apple Remote App.

When i want to hammer out a basic music idea, I've got a crap load of synths and DAWS that work really well....

The device is just amazing. I've always known it. But this week definitely solidified itself as the most important device i own.

Hello Future. I've been waiting for you...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    No Cover Flow!!! Aaargh

I'm going to revert ASAP. iTunes is total crap, coverflow was all it had going for it

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

I don't know why people hate on iTunes. On windows it sucks. But it's a perfectly capable media library organizer and player on the Mac.