Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Trent Reznor and Belief in God

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Trent Reznor and Belief in God

I realize that this is going to be a taboo subject, but let's face it--signs are pointing in the direction that Trent may have found religion in some capacity. His recent tweet about "God was competing with our light show" and one of the lyrics in "Find my way" is "pray the Lord, my soul to take," which has Christian roots. Nevertheless, I'm curious as to if NIN fans like this, or don't. Many will be in denial about this, but I think that it's a good thing that he has found God, again, in some form or fashion.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I doubt it highly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I remember there being a discussion about this on ets a long long time ago, when I had a, err... less forgiving view on religion.
    Now, more maturely, I offer: who gives a fuck? You can argue all you want about lyric symbolism (for and against religion) but to be honest, it's the man's private views. Who cares?
    Also, titling something 'Trent Reznor's Possible New..." is awfully misleading. This should be in Random NIN Questions if anything.
    Last edited by scorpiusdiamond; 08-13-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I think of that line (amongst others to do with God) as being used just as an expression for those who don't have associated beliefs. Personally, I lean towards not believing in there being God/a god, and sometimes I will make points by saying stuff like that.

Whatever the case (don't bother me if he happens to presently be in with spirituality), I love that line in the song.
    Last edited by Amaro; 08-13-2013 at 10:08 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    As loathe as I am to give @Paperthin567 the time of day, from comments Trent has made, he's always believed (or wanted to believe) in god, and his issues and angst all come from the hypocrisy of organized religion, not the idea of god itself. At the very least he seems to be agnostic.

This of course is no reason to assume that just because he believes in some form of god that he believes what you believe @Paperthin567, just like I wouldn't assume just because of Heresy or Terrible Lie that he MUST be an atheist like I am. Whatever he believes, it seems to be personal and he doesn't feel the need to shout about it or drag others into it -- maybe take a cue from that.

Edit: Can I just point out how fucking annoying it is to equate finding "god" with finding "religion?" Ugh.
    Last edited by howdidislipinto; 08-13-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Trent Reznor's Possible New Belief in God

In the same way that those most vocally against homosexuality often turn out to be gay themselves, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that a dude who shouted "your god is dead and no one cares" is actually religious or spiritual in some capacity and has now made peace with it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    As loathe as I am to give @Paperthin567 the time of day, from comments Trent has made, he's always believed (or wanted to believe) in god, and his issues and angst all come from the hypocrisy of organized religion, not the idea of god itself. At the very least he seems to be agnostic.

This of course is no reason to assume that just because he believes in some form of god that he believes what you believe @Paperthin567, just like I wouldn't assume just because of Heresy or Terrible Lie that he MUST be an atheist like I am. Whatever he believes, it seems to be personal and he doesn't feel the need to shout about it or drag others into it -- maybe take a cue from that.
    Obviously I struck a chord with you. Thanks for the kind words about "loathing" to comment on a topic that I bring up. There's 101 ways to be a jerk and you just nailed (pun intended) about all of them.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Q: Does Trent believe in god?
    A: Yes, i think so

Q: Is Trent religious?
    A: I highly doubt it...

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Yeah i'm about done with Paperthin and jesus. Can't this be in the random nin comments section?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Maybe he believes in one or more deities, maybe he doesn't. None of my business.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I thought the same thing regarding that tweet but never posted anything about it. Reason I found it odd is most people (religious or not) would've mentioned mother nature regarding the lightning.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I'm cool either way, although I'm an atheist, I'm far from being anti-religion. Now that this is out of the way...

The evidence pointed out in the first post is extremely weak!!! Seriously, that freakin' tweet about the light show?! What a joke!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Religion and the concept of God is all around us and it influences us from the moment we are born. Whether you believe in it/them or not it is still likely to have some affect on your life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperthin567 View Post
    I realize that this is going to be a taboo subject, but let's face it--signs are pointing in the direction that Trent may have found religion in some capacity. His recent tweet about "God was competing with our light show" and one of the lyrics in "Find my way" is "pray the Lord, my soul to take," which has Christian roots. Nevertheless, I'm curious as to if NIN fans like this, or don't. Many will be in denial about this, but I think that it's a good thing that he has found God, again, in some form or fashion.
    I'm reasonably certain he has always believed in "God" in some form or fashion, just not religion or what religion says about God.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I care about TR being religious as much as he cares about me being religious.

In other words: frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. And I don't see why anyone else should.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Let's keep away from the personal attacks and the moderation suggestions.

I don't think his belief in a god is new. Perhaps his personal faith has changed since getting clean (maybe even as part of getting clean) and starting a family. To each their own.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    His kid's names LOL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    "Pray the lord my soul to take" is essentially part children's rhyme and part colloquialism. Attributing the weather to god doesn't imply religion. Either way, there's been a lot of NIN songs that mention "god" in one form or another, and no one asked any questions about "new belief in god" back then.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Twilight View Post
    Religion and the concept of God is all around us and it influences us from the moment we are born. Whether you believe in it/them or not it is still likely to have some affect on your life.
    Yeah, even being an agnostic in a traditionally secular country, I'll still drop a "my god" on occasion, or mention it. Honestly I wouldn't read too much into it, especially in the USA where, it seems, the topic and presence of god/religion is so strong it will inevitably slip into everyday language mannerisms, no matter what your actual beliefs are.
    Not to mention that "god" is a nice father figure to blame or fear when you write songs, way catchier than "fate" or "chance".

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I have never, ever seen Trent claim to be atheist, and in fact in the 90s I recall a couple of interviews stating he believes in a higher power, just has no religion per se. And, who gives a fuck.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    uuugh what a bad thread. Who cares? You shouldn't. Enjoy the music kids.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    dus Trank Rezon belive in aliiens?? have u herd the warning????

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Sorry I brought it up, people. Wasn't trying to cause problems. I'm just exciting about the new album and thought I would start a new topic regarding something I've been thinking about lately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I beleave mr reznak has always known god teh downard spiral is his mesage that if u dont beleave in chrsitanity you wil most likely do drugs and kil urself

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    http://www.ninwiki.com/Recurring_lyrics#God

Seriously, this isn't a new thing. A thread on religion in NIN would be more interesting than if Trent is religious NOW. And only if the antitheists aren't allowed in the thread.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Why God? Why not Allah? Rah? Vishnu? Xenu?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    dus Trank Rezon belive in aliiens?? have u herd the warning????
    That was Xenu, JMJ told TR to write a song about it or he wouldn't join NIN.

And btw, when Trent was asked about JMJ's beliefs, he said that he was not a religious person, and he has said the same thing many times before, that he believed in something but he was not a religious guy.

Lyrics for "Home" (2005):

Everything is catching up with me I awake to find I'm not at all where I should be And it feels I'm getting to the end And it's hard to figure out what's real and what's pretend To break from what we're tied to God knows how much I've tried to And I am still inside you And I am still inside you I escape every now and then And to think I find myself back here again and again I used to know who I was until you came along I return to the only place I've ever felt that I belong To break from what we're tied to God knows how much I've tried to And I am still inside you And I am still inside you
    I'm an atheist, and I don't like religions of any kind, but if I had to stop listening to music made by non-atheist musicians, then I would miss a lot of good music (same for films, books, etc).

If Trent went the Billy Corgan route and started to talk about how great is God and even opened a religious/spiritual site, then I would be pissed tbh, born-again christians can be really annoying imo, but I can't see Trent doing that kind of stuff, I don't see him in a show asking his fans to pray for his soul and to go to church or something like that, if he did it he would lose a lot of fans and he knows it.

Like I said, I'm an atheist, but I use the word "god" a lot because everybody does it and because it would be silly if I tried to avoid certain words just because their origin was religion-related. That would be like if some relative told me to have a merry christmas and I replied with a "fuck you, Satan is my lord" just to piss him/her off, and I'm not a Manson fan, lol.

Regarding the kids names, I doubt its a religion-related question, I think he just lost some bet, maybe he was in a competition with Josh Homme looking for the most bizarre kid names and then they dared each other to use them for real, and if Trent had not been sober for so long, I would swear that they would have been probably drunk. XD
    Last edited by Max Leo; 08-13-2013 at 07:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I say we talk to Trent about the one true god

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    I feel like any evidence toward a newfound belief in god, would, at this point, be...

Paperthin.