Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston Marathon

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Not seeing much about the circumstances that led to that MIT cop getting killed which kicked this off. Did the poor guy actually ID them and approached or did they really just "ambush" him for whatever reason like the news is alluding but not confirming?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient02970 View Post
    Not seeing much about the circumstances that led to that MIT cop getting killed which kicked this off. Did the poor guy actually ID them and approached or did they really just "ambush" him for whatever reason like the news is alluding but not confirming?
    That's what I want to know as well and what they were doing on Vassar. The Tech (MIT's student newspaper) has a little blurb about the events, but nothing that hasn't been seen elsewhere.
    Edit for clarity: Oops. I wasn't trying to imply that they didn't kill him or that I was wearing a tin foil hat. Before the carjacking near Third St (post murder), where they told their victim that they were the bombers, I didn't think that anyone knew where the bombers were. I'm still a little spooked by another one of my old haunts getting turned into a crime scene, complete with ATF, Harvard police, BU police, Cambridge police, and MIT police.
    Last edited by cynicmuse; 04-20-2013 at 06:16 AM. Reason: clarity

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Bombing suspects go missing, dead policeman in place where they've gone missing from, I don't see how a leap has been made

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient02970 View Post
    I read he was killed while he was sitting in his car. Beyond that, I don't know.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I can't believe the FBI interviewed them in 2011. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93J00C20130420

That means they were somewhat flag as persons of interest.
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 04-20-2013 at 09:19 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Boston Marathon

I'm not believing any info until I see it confirmed by the appropriate authorities. There has been a lot of false info in this case.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Boston Marathon

See my last post. I linked directly to the FBI's site. That's about as official as it gets.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    See my last post. I linked directly to the FBI's site. That's about as official as it gets.
    ah, okay, I didn't see that, I only saw the above Reuters link.

FBI says:
    "Once the FBI learned the identities of the two brothers today, the FBI reviewed its records and determined that in early 2011, a foreign government asked the FBI for information about Tamerlan Tsarnaev. The request stated that it was based on information that he was a follower of radical Islam and a strong believer, and that he had changed drastically since 2010 as he prepared to leave the United States for travel to the country’s region to join unspecified underground groups.

In response to this 2011 request, the FBI checked U.S. government databases and other information to look for such things as derogatory telephone communications, possible use of online sites associated with the promotion of radical activity, associations with other persons of interest, travel history and plans, and education history. The FBI also interviewed Tamerlan Tsarnaev and family members. The FBI did not find any terrorism activity, domestic or foreign, and those results were provided to the foreign government in the summer of 2011. The FBI requested but did not receive more specific or additional information from the foreign government."

Yeah, that sounds like there was zero going on at that time to suggest that they were doing anything bad according to whatever information was available.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-20-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Even if details come to light about what led them down this path, I don't think it's going to 'explain' the reasons in any satisfying way.
    As one of the senior users here (in real life age, not on how long I've been a member) I've seen my fair share of tragedies like this and one of the things I've learned from them is that there never is a satisfying answer as to why it happened. Answers and reasons bring no sense of closure whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    And the surviving kid is the one who wheelchair-dude made eye contact with and was able to describe to police, which ultimately led to identification. It's all just, wow.
    Speaking of him

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    er general tip, you can't trust your internal security agency more than an international news agency... not that I'm saying they're lying in this case, but let us be real

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I want to 'like' this 10 times.
    "an already exaggerated sense of the risk of terrorism turned a horrible story of maiming and death and cruelty into a national epic of fear. What terrorists want is to terrify people; Americans always oblige."

I do recall people flipping their shit early in this thread when someone was warning against taking this route.

and now we also have this bullshit:
    Boston bombing “is Exhibit A of why the homeland is the battlefield”
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...e-battlefield/

Graham, McCain: No criminal trial for captured suspect
    http://thehill.com/blogs/defcon-hill...ombing-suspect

and I think someone worried about the requests to increase government and infringe on rights that could possibly come pouring out. That made the thread angry too!
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 04-20-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    "We are now a nation of experts, with millions of people who know the meaning of everything that they haven’t actually experienced."

So true.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Billy nailed it during the national gun debate. He is doing it again.
    I hope all the pro-gun chickenhawks who follow this guy will stop and think.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Boston Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    He'll get medical treatment like a king. Much better than your average joe without insurance. They're going to make damn sure he makes trial after all of this.
    Everyone in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has access to the kind of care this kid is getting. Best in the world.

I'm so curious about the timeline of events. What were these two doing between Monday afternoon and Thursday night? Why were they at MIT? It's close to their home, but it's still a college campus, albeit urban, that's a destination.

The town I used to live in farther west of Watertown reported that these boys' mom was arrested for shoplifting at the mall there a couple months before the younger son got his citizenship. Downward spiral of the American dream, I'd say.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Yep it all went wrong when you started letting insurrectionary immigrants on board... it's just not what America is about

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yep it all went wrong when you started letting insurrectionary immigrants on board... it's just not what America is about
    I was so fucking close to face-palming this post this until I noticed the "" and your name.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It was meant to be a wink - Now I'm wondering how wars start

but in all seriousness - who knows? Maybe there is a limit. I honestly like to think America believes in its ideals in a death-or-glory, let's-find-out sort of way (whereas in Europe we have "live and let live - but on paper & always got the ethnic cleansing option" - not pretty, but true)

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Boston Marathon

He'll still be able to write or use a keyboard. Not really gonna prevent getting info out of him if he's willing to "talk"

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    He'll still be able to write or use a keyboard. Not really gonna prevent getting info out of him if he's willing to "talk"
    I guess that rules out the "we'll cut your fingers one by one if you don't collaborate" threat..

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Boston Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    I guess that rules out the "we'll cut your fingers one by one if you don't collaborate" threat..
    What do you mean? I'm not trying to be a douche, just saying that his ability to talk getting fucked up in the process of getting him to stop shooting at people doesn't mean he can't communicate. I didn't mean "getting info out of him" as I'm cool with torture or some shit

Edit: the quotations around talk were meant for if he can't actually speak. Not torture him until he says whatever people want him to.
    Last edited by kdrcraig; 04-20-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Boston Marathon

His being unconscious would also be a good reason why he can't speak, He's in very serious condition and may not even survive.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    His being unconscious would also be a good reason why he can't speak, He's in very serious condition and may not even survive.
    I'm gonna predict that if the kid does wake up that he claims he cannot remember what he did or why he did it.

Could even explain the cause of his 'amnesia' as being a result of anoxic brain injury from loss of blood.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    "Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was a 'normal pot head' who supported President Obama for re-election last November, according to friends and his Twitter account"
    http://dailycaller.com/2013/04/19/on...r-was-married/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Jesus, don't read the comments on that link. Facebook is a shitstorm as well. Does either side of the petty political divide in America appreciate how classy it is to use this tragedy as some kind of stick to tenuously beat the other side with?!

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    What do you mean? I'm not trying to be a douche, just saying that his ability to talk getting fucked up in the process of getting him to stop shooting at people doesn't mean he can't communicate. I didn't mean "getting info out of him" as I'm cool with torture or some shit

Edit: the quotations around talk were meant for if he can't actually speak. Not torture him until he says whatever people want him to.
    That was actually just a joke!
    I'm against torture as well but we all know your Gov. loves it. What's gonna save his ass is the fact that he's an American citizen, although some Republicans couldn't care less.
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 04-21-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    There is also this just starting to circulate:
    Boston bombers: FBI hunting 12-strong terrorist “sleeper cell” linked to brothers Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...strong-1844844

Keep in mind, this is a British Tabloid... It's yet to hit something with even CNN-level credibility.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Boston Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    That was actually just a joke!
    I'm against torture as well but we all know your Gov. loves it. What's gonna save his ass is the fact that he's an American citizen, although some Republicans couldn't care less.
    Yeah...I was drunk last night. Not at my smartest at that point