Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Disney+

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Malcom in the middle isn't cropped for widescreen. The problem is it ISN'T cropped for 4:3, which is why on the widescreen version, you can see errors on the side of the frame.
    Shows that aired in 4:3 originally should never be cropped for widescreen, period.

Dragonball Z and the first 3 seasons of the X Files are some of the worst offenders.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Shows that aired in 4:3 originally should never be cropped for widescreen, period.

Dragonball Z and the first 3 seasons of the X Files are some of the worst offenders.
    I disagree with X Files. It was very well done. Both should be available, however.

If you want a truly bad example, look at Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 04-13-2019 at 11:21 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    They will also have a show about Hulk and She-Hulk that features Mark Ruffalo as well as a Monsters, Inc. spin-off show featuring Billy Crystal and John Goodman reprising their respective roles. Disney seems to be going all in on this. It seems like every day I'm hearing about yet another new show that'll be on Disney+.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Seriously? Like, just last night I was wondering how they'd introduce She-Hulk in the movies and you're telling me there's a show? Cool.

OK, so what's stopping Universal from partnering with Disney to make a Hulk movie? I don't know the specifics of the deal, something about solo movies, but I think that after seeing them work with Sony on Spider-Man that Universal would be amenable.
    Last edited by allegate; 04-14-2019 at 11:52 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Wait...She-Hulk is coming...SERIOUSLY...DISNEY LISTENED TO ME?!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I'm not too excited about them getting all episodes of The Simpsons especially since FXX cropped older episodes to fit modern screens.
    from what i have experienced, they give you the option in the settings menu on the app for how you want to watch the older episodes (zoomed or 4:3 with pillar box)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    If this is aiming to be shown in 4K, then they might keep the old episodes at the original AR.

Somewhat unrelated but I'm noticing that HBO is showing more and more films in their original AR, as opposed to pan-and-scan them like they've done forever. The whole argument about black bars is as antiquated as the old tube televisions that facilitated that point to begin with, and hopefully that's what HBO is getting hip to now.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    If this is aiming to be shown in 4K, then they might keep the old episodes at the original AR.

Somewhat unrelated but I'm noticing that HBO is showing more and more films in their original AR, as opposed to pan-and-scan them like they've done forever. The whole argument about black bars is as antiquated as the old tube televisions that facilitated that point to begin with, and hopefully that's what HBO is getting hip to now.
    I'm of the (more extreme) opinion that changing the aspect ratio is destroying the director and/or cinematographer's original intent. Ultimately, you take what you're given with certain releases, especially for home media.

I read a few articles that claim Disney (through ESPN+ and Hulu) plan to lose a little over $2 billion dollars this next year just to get this thing off the ground and be competitive with Netflix.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Yeah, the $7/month price tag is just a loss leader.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    The price tag looks like a knockout punch in households where people have one or two services

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The Rise of Netflix Competitors Has Pushed Consumers Back Toward Piracy

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...RgQD6RINaQJClU

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Disney+ Content Lineup Will Be Less Than 20% of Netflix’s but Disney Has Higher-Rated Titles
    https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...on-1203193967/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    To be fair, their competitors have a lot of crap no one would watch if they weren't on Netflix or something else.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Disney+ platform won’t include “racially insensitive” scenes from classic movies

https://www.nme.com/news/film/disney...movies-2480370

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I read a list of things *leaving* Netflix in May, and on it were a bunch of movies I would have liked to check out but had no idea we're on Netflix because of the way the algorithm has prevented me from seeing almost everything they have that they didn't produce.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Disney+ platform won’t include “racially insensitive” scenes from classic movies

https://www.nme.com/news/film/disney...movies-2480370
    As far as the original Dumbo is concerned, release it as is or don't release it at all. Cutting the crow scene is fucking stupid.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    As far as the original Dumbo is concerned, release it as is or don't release it at all. Cutting the crow scene is fucking stupid.
    I'm afraid how far Disney is gonna go with this. This is only the beginning and they'll probably be recutting many more movies.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I'm afraid how far Disney is gonna go with this. This is only the beginning and they'll probably be recutting many more movies.
    They could have someone give an introduction to the movie and explain why the scene is considered racist and offensive, give it some historical context. Cutting it completely is taking something uncomfortable and sweeping it under the rug.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    They could have someone give an introduction to the movie and explain why the scene is considered racist and offensive, give it some historical context. Cutting it completely is taking something uncomfortable and sweeping it under the rug.
    This is exactly what they should have done, considering they already have precedent for doing this sort of thing. The "Treasures" line of DVD releases had introductions by Leonard Maltin, providing historical context.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Warner Brothers did the same for some of the DVDs of their old cartoons too.

Hopefully if this gains enough traction someone can put together a petition for them not to do this.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I don't think cutting it is sweeping it under the rug. It's proactively eliminating it from the work because it's a problem. A 4 year old kid isn't going to want to watch Leonard Maltin or have a clue what the fuck he's talking about.

I'm sure if someone need to see these scenes, for whatever reason, they're available in some other medium.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I don't think cutting it is sweeping it under the rug. It's proactively eliminating it from the work because it's a problem. A 4 year old kid isn't going to want to watch Leonard Maltin or have a clue what the fuck he's talking about.

I'm sure if someone need to see these scenes, for whatever reason, they're available in some other medium.
    An introduction wouldn't be for a four year old, it would be for say ten and up, who make up a massive amount of people watching the movie. Cutting the scene is wrong not only because it is sweeping a problematic scene under the rug, it also changes a work that's already been released to the public (see George Lucas), and it ruins the movie, as the crow scene is pivotal and the story and would be confusing without it. The crows are the ones that tell Dumbo he can fly. Don't fuck with it or don't re-release it at all.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 04-25-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I watched Dumbo as a child and guess what? The crow scene didn't make me a racist. It is stupid to cut it and honestly folks should see what Disney allowed back in the day and they shouldn't be able to hide and remove their past mistakes. It would be better for there to be an opening statement before the movie begins about the scene.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I think the notion that these are some complete works of art that can't be tweaked in service of either a singular vision or the preservation or observation of how things were made. Dumbo for instance is a children's cartoon, nobody is going to give a fuck if it's missing one stupidly racist scene even if it does vaguely fuck with the continuity.

It doesn't violate whatever shred of artistic integrity these movies might have. I also think it's absurd to compare this to what George Lucas did to star wars, a move based on ego and self consciousness, mostly oriented at special effects. This is a change eliminating a racist characature from a work which is simply the right thing to do.

It's not even close to Erasure, as isn't the removal of a Confederate statue. These scenes, and these ideas, and Disney's legacy are extraordinarily public and viewable through other media, they couldn't bury that past even if they really wanted to. Even the signal of the intention means it isn't Erasure, it's the elimination of something that needs to be eliminated, absolutely mercilessly.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    If you want to be consistent there are a lot of old movies that are racist/sexist. Why stop with Dumbo? Gone With the Wind is far worse. James Bond movies/novels? Can't watch those either. I would say just edit the offensive content but you wouldn't be left with much of a movie.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Comcast thinking about selling off it's 30% share to Disney. This could have significant meaning to what will go on Disney+ and Hulu, which could be fashioned as the home of Disney's more mature programming along with the broader Fox catalog.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I think the notion that these are some complete works of art that can't be tweaked in service of either a singular vision or the preservation or observation of how things were made. Dumbo for instance is a children's cartoon, nobody is going to give a fuck if it's missing one stupidly racist scene even if it does vaguely fuck with the continuity.

It doesn't violate whatever shred of artistic integrity these movies might have. I also think it's absurd to compare this to what George Lucas did to star wars, a move based on ego and self consciousness, mostly oriented at special effects. This is a change eliminating a racist characature from a work which is simply the right thing to do.

It's not even close to Erasure, as isn't the removal of a Confederate statue. These scenes, and these ideas, and Disney's legacy are extraordinarily public and viewable through other media, they couldn't bury that past even if they really wanted to. Even the signal of the intention means it isn't Erasure, it's the elimination of something that needs to be eliminated, absolutely mercilessly.
    Just so we're clear: by "absolutely mercilessly" you mean without context, yes?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    There's enormous context that's my whole fucking point is that even if you present the film on its own it doesn't exist in a vacuum.

There's definitely a case to be made that this should be done where films are being presented like this where possible. I haven't seen Dumbo since I was like 2, but from what I understand the racial issues boil down to these few characters in a small amount of time that is easily removed from the movie. A movie where that really isn't going to tarnish whatever artisitic merit a few people think it has.

Gone With the Wind, I have not seen at all I have some understanding of what ots about, one reason why I haven't seen it actually, from my understanding it issues are much broader and pervasive throughout, and can't be cut with just a scene. On the other hand being an old, long drama it doesn't run the same risk as Dumbo as being presented to children unable to grasp those nuances.

The prime offender for James Bond I would assume to be You Only Live Twice. I actually do think it's most chiefly offensive sequence might be removable, although there might be some more subtle issues throughout that are inextricable. There's a case to be made that this component of the movie makes it transparently stupid, but that nuance is difficult for some. The pervasive mysogyny in the series is another story. It's not just one 3 minute sequence in given movie, it's indemic. It can't be removed. So how do you deal with it? I don't know. That's a different cultural scale, I don't think a lot of people really care about Dumbo, but there's absolutely a lot of attachment to James Bond. James Bond is absolutely a sort representive or even influential icon of toxic masculinity, a notion that we as a culture are barely capable of having a conversation about. There's maybe a bit of chicken and egg situation as far as... As we grow up, maybe we will care less about that series. But it's much more complex than removing a given character or scene.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Ron Howard is in Talks To Make a Willow Sequel Series For Disney+
    https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1...ies-for-disney

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)