Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1243

Thread: Vinyl Rereleases December 2016 (Broken, TDS, TF)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Vinyl Rereleases December 2016

Rob Sheridan is no longer credited for "web integration" on TF. NIN.com was amazing back then. Too bad.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _T_B_W_ View Post
    Maybe kitty on the left prefers the Left side of The Fragile and the kitty on the right prefers the Right side.
    That doubly works because not just the expression but that blanket is more TDS colors

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    Rob Sheridan is no longer credited for "web integration" on TF. NIN.com was amazing back then. Too bad.
    Are you sure? I'm pretty sure it's still in the booklet, but I could be wrong. I think I saw his name.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Are you sure? I'm pretty sure it's still in the booklet, but I could be wrong. I think I saw his name.
    He's credited for a single pic in the reissue essay by Ezrin but his name is out of the credits. A few other credits are updated as well, but it seems odd to leave out the old people who did the work (I can sort of understand leaving out Malm, but...). Not the best historical document. I loved Rob's work on the site. Oh well.

Now we know: Rob was kicked out of the camp for being too pretty, not to "do his own projects."

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The Downward Spiral does indeed inclue an essay and it hilariously makes the claim that Piggy is named Hey Pig.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    The Downward Spiral does indeed inclue an essay and it hilariously makes the claim that Piggy is named Hey Pig.
    gotta love that attention to detail!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    gotta love that attention to detail!
    To quote the store page, "meticulously prepared"

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    To quote the store page, "meticulously prepared"
    The only thing meticulously prepared after this abortion of a last 8 months for NINs store is trents bank account and our xanex prescriptions.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    The only thing meticulously prepared after this abortion of a last 8 months for NINs store is trents bank account and our xanex prescriptions.
    Tell us, Tony, how do you really feel about all this?

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
    Tell us, Tony, how do you really feel about all this?
    The distributor sucks. The quality control sucks. The communication sucks. The product sucks.
    We all got ripped off. This is beyond deviations where we were actively taken advantage of because of our devotion to the fragile. This whole thing fucking sucks.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    We all got ripped off.
    I admit to being a bit disappointed in the minimalism of the Deviations package but have otherwise been quite happy with what I've gotten from NIN this year. The delays are unfortunate but it happens. Got my NTAE vinyl today and it looks awesome, my physical components have been awesome, and the Deviations vinyl itself sounds bloody amazing. You feel ripped off, angry, and bitter about the whole thing, but you don't speak for all of us.

I'd originally posted something snarky which amounted to "STFU about it already" which wasn't helpful, but really - we're all pretty aware of your thoughts on this. The relentless negativity about it is a bit grating, esp. when it bleeds over out of the thread dedicated to that kind of bitching.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I want to be thrilled about all of these. When the preorders first went live I put my name down for every single one of them, along with the 90's soundtracks and Ghosts UK set. I was ecstatic. Since then, every preorder item I've gotten outside of Physical Components has been damaged. A copy of Before the Flood was practically bent in half, Deviations was banged up and my replacement sleeve is nowhere in sight, this Downward Spiral copy seemed flawless and I was actually really appreciating it and feeling how I hoped I'd feel last December, and then suddenly the record wouldn't stop popping and I realized what I thought was dust refused to come off with standard safe record cleaning and it's an imperfection.

I want to own all of these, to have the full main discography on vinyl and to be really, really thrilled about it, but it's hard to be when the items themselves come in damaged and the people you are buying them from take ages to respond and, when they do, are rarely clear or helpful and then blow all the dates they give you. It took me over a month to cancel preorders and yet apparently a couple of them either weren't refunded or are being sent, anyway, and they're still damaged. It's disheartening as a fan and as a vinyl lover. If they were all on Amazon, I'd order them in a heartbeat, but they're not.

Some of the complaining is well-beyond reasonable and is over the top, dramatic and ridiculous, but for the most part it seems like people are just upset that they're having such a hard time simply buying merchandise as advertised and receiving it as promised, and if that isn't messing up the most basic aspect of sales, then I don't know what is.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I'm paranoid about opening broken due to the world wide glue defect. Is sandbag gonna honor replacement sleeves for those?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    but for the most part it seems like people are just upset that they're having such a hard time simply buying merchandise as advertised and receiving it as promised, and if that isn't messing up the most basic aspect of sales, then I don't know what is.
    Sure, lots of folks, Tony included, have good reason to be upset. It just feels like Tony accounts for 70% of the bitching about it.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    The most egregious issue with the reissues has to be the Broken sleeve thing. It seems almost universal. The shipping is on Sandbag, for sure, but at least TDS and The Fragile seem thick enough to withstand being knocked around in the thin mailers. And the actual content included is impeccable. They really are gorgeous reissues. It's just frustrating for all of us that they have to be viewed through the lens of incompetence on Sandbag's part, and now apparently the manufacturer in some cases.

I've said it a bunch of times but my love of the 2000s NIN catalog is going to put me right back on this carousel and I understand that that makes me a sucker and an idiot consumer but I just want my shit. This next round has to be perfect, though, or it's all going to be even worse backlash.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jslcaballo View Post
    Has anyone been able to compare The Fragile DE pressing to an original pressing? Saw that someone else noticed the lack of dynamic range on TDS. Are these all brickwalled and inferior SQ to the originals? Any input appreciated. Thanks
    The audio on these reissues is remastered, so it would be pretty easy to compare a rip of an original CD and the download of the DE version of any of these releases. If the PHM remaster from 2010 is any indication, there probably is more compression/limiting on these tracks, as TR is not shy of those processes. Hesitation Marks is "brickwalled", and I know many think the "audiophile" version is misleading since it's just 3dB more bass basically, not a drastic change in dynamics.

As someone who appreciates different versions and masterings of music (such as the Bowie catalog, of which there are many versions of each release), NIN's music doesn't really suffer from this kind of mastering in my opinion. Look at Broken, it's supposed to be a wall of sound, oppressive and in your face. To brickwall that album is kind of the point, and I do think this remaster enhances the sound of the original to that effect. I haven't compared the three versions of TDS (1994/2004/2017) or The Fragile, but to my ears, they sound good. The Fragile doesn't seem to lack dynamics.

Lastly, I wouldn't equate heavy compression/limiting with inferior sound quality, at least in this case. We're not talking about Death Magnetic here, which is poster boy of brickwalled mastering. Use your ears, listen to the version you like. TR's not deaf, and he does care about how his music is heard, as shown by releasing HD audio of all of these albums. Those are probably the best versions to listen to, not the vinyl, since the vinyl was pressed off those HD files.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I want to be thrilled about all of these. When the preorders first went live I put my name down for every single one of them, along with the 90's soundtracks and Ghosts UK set. I was ecstatic. Since then, every preorder item I've gotten outside of Physical Components has been damaged. A copy of Before the Flood was practically bent in half, Deviations was banged up and my replacement sleeve is nowhere in sight, this Downward Spiral copy seemed flawless and I was actually really appreciating it and feeling how I hoped I'd feel last December, and then suddenly the record wouldn't stop popping and I realized what I thought was dust refused to come off with standard safe record cleaning and it's an imperfection.

I want to own all of these, to have the full main discography on vinyl and to be really, really thrilled about it, but it's hard to be when the items themselves come in damaged and the people you are buying them from take ages to respond and, when they do, are rarely clear or helpful and then blow all the dates they give you. It took me over a month to cancel preorders and yet apparently a couple of them either weren't refunded or are being sent, anyway, and they're still damaged. It's disheartening as a fan and as a vinyl lover. If they were all on Amazon, I'd order them in a heartbeat, but they're not.

Some of the complaining is well-beyond reasonable and is over the top, dramatic and ridiculous, but for the most part it seems like people are just upset that they're having such a hard time simply buying merchandise as advertised and receiving it as promised, and if that isn't messing up the most basic aspect of sales, then I don't know what is.
    I pretty much agree with this sentiment, I had initial excitement for everything nin related back in december 2016. Now the ARG aspect of the new releases has taken a backseat to my concern as to how and when I'll get the records. It's like I want to discuss how the records sound and were prepared but I can't join in yet. I know for myself this has been my first experience having all sorts of setbacks with a release from any artist I've ever ordered pre-releases from and I am so ready to be able to actually enjoy the experience of listening to the albums as the mission statement described. With this situation, I expect complaints to linger around these forums for a while longer.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Got my Fragile vinyl in today, undamaged. I'm just so happy to finally have this on vinyl.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    It's baffling to me how he is reissuing/remastering/repackaging this many records in such a short time frame. Usually bands reissue/remaster albums one at a time, year after year. What do you think drove TR to choose this way for reissuing his catalogue? The change in art direction? The fact vinyl being trendy again? A sudden need for money? I mean, offering this many "new" records at once surely didn't help prevent this whole Sandbag/Firebrand fuck up.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Cardboard sleeve glue issues aside on Broken DE (mine has it too). Has anyone decoded the spiralling scribed message on the musically blank B side yet?
    I can just make out 'Anyone Still Out There?". Clues or old references? I know there were 'secrets' listed on the store page for Broken.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by afors View Post
    I can just make out 'Anyone Still Out There?". Clues or old references? I know there were 'secrets' listed on the store page for Broken.
    Ok my eyes are starting to strain, but the first few sentences if you can call them that are along the lines of -
    ""This isn't meant to last this is for right now" - Last
    "What are we doing here!"
    "I thought it would be over"
    "I thought I would fear and now I don't really know {are real any more}"
    "or if any xxxxxx on the message never sent by"

I'm getting eye strain now so will leave the rest for later or hope someone here has better eyesight than me. It's all handwritten and overlapping + scored out text in places.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I got mine yesterday. I also noted that the essay indicates that The Becoming starts with audio sampled from a horror movie. It does not.

The movie that it samples is Robot Jox, a late 80's sci-fi about giant fighting robot arenas that became entertainment/replacement for national wars. Specifically, the scene is from when one of the robots gets knocked over into the stadium seating, crushing a bunch of spectators (or were they actually diplomats of some kind? I can't remember). Admittedly, the sounds of the crowd struggling around the fallen robot were horror-movie-level anguish...

Seriously, this essay was pretty damn terrible. The others that I have seen were not as bad though.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    TDS booklet images, I didn't see them posted here in decent quality (or just missed it). https://imgur.com/a/X3MsC

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    OK, best I can come up with without leaving chin/teeth imprints on the B side of Broken DE and giving myself a headache. Please help me fill out the blanks and spellcheck etc on the major spiralling (very difficult to read) handwritten message -

"This isn't meant to last this is for right now" {from Last}
    "What are we doing here"
    "I thought it would be over"
    "I thought I would fear and now I don't really know which are real any more"
    "or if anything is on there any more message never sent by {the there? wear?} Although it Lives?"
    "Be this is a document of ---------"
    "and probably the first real and true loss"
    "and I can look back with clarity and --?
    "I didn't understand it then and when I tried to"
    {MAJOR SCRIBBLE/SCORE OUT}"NO I SAID""
    "limits -- time"
    "trying to tell --"
    "Is there anybody out there? any more"
    "This wasn't meant to last"
    "Please is there anyone still out there?"
    "Please is there anyone still out...." {END}

Last edited by afors; 08-22-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanLoser View Post
    I got mine yesterday. I also noted that the essay indicates that The Becoming starts with audio sampled from a horror movie. It does not.

The movie that it samples is Robot Jox, a late 80's sci-fi about giant fighting robot arenas that became entertainment/replacement for national wars. Specifically, the scene is from when one of the robots gets knocked over into the stadium seating, crushing a bunch of spectators (or were they actually diplomats of some kind? I can't remember). Admittedly, the sounds of the crowd struggling around the fallen robot were horror-movie-level anguish...

Seriously, this essay was pretty damn terrible. The others that I have seen were not as bad though.
    Maybe they are talking about the samples in the background of the verses?? because there's clearly samples of people screaming during the verses

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RiffTHF View Post
    Maybe they are talking about the samples in the background of the verses?? because there's clearly samples of people screaming during the verses
    Yeah, that's what they're talking about. The point is that they're not sampled from a horror film.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Welp, I just dove in and ordered the definitive edition of The Fragile (wife is gonna kill me, especially since I just dropped serious cash on the new Weezer album.) For those of you who have received it, how is it? Truly definitive? I saw that post about the (Pitchfork?) review quote, thought that was hilarious. How's the packaging? The platters themselves? Are you guys happy with the release?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Yeah, that's what they're talking about. The point is that they're not sampled from a horror film.
    Where were they sampled from?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Where were they sampled from?
    Robot Jox, technically of the sci-fi genre.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The screaming during the verses is the same sample as the one from the beginning. Which as I said, was not from a horror movie, it was from Robot Jox.