Page 67 of 154 FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 77 117 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,010 of 4612

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    "House of DVF." OMG Diane von Fürstenberg is so awesome.
    I just read that she and Barry Diller live in separate apartments. Now, that's the way to be married!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    "Sweetwater" was terrible. If someone tries to tell you, "But Ed Harris is in it", you should not talk to that person for a good long time.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Saw 2 French films back to back:

Mood Indigo is Michel Gondry turned up to 11 without any adult supervision. If you saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or The Science of Sleep and wanted to see this guy really go off, this is it. Not all of it works: the dialogue is very flippant, the pace sometimes feels like way-to-much, and it sometimes seems more concerned with its visuals than the story its trying to tell. But what works really works: the Gondry-patented childlike visuals are great, the actors all seem to be having fun more than working, and some sequences come together in an amazing mix of unabridged creativity. Its a bit of a mixed bag, but there is a lot more good than bad, and overall I really liked it.

Blue is the Warmest Color won the top award at Cannes, and it has some very Cannes-esque tropes. Lots of nudity, coming-of-age story, French, gay themes, talk about philosophers and artists, etc. It was preaching to the choir. I don't know if its a great movie, and it might bear the burden of being a bit overrated with the award, but I really liked it. Its an honest, bear-bones simple portrayal of a romantic relationship that anyone, homo or hetero, could relate to. Adele Exarchopoulos is amazing as the lead, portraying heavy emotions while still seeming completely natural. Apparently Steven Spielberg really liked it, and for whatever reason I get a kick out of The Beard watching a film with hot lesbo sex and giving it the thumbs up.
    Last edited by Millionaire; 11-04-2014 at 05:27 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire View Post
    Saw 2 French films back to back:

Mood Indigo is Michel Gondry turned up to 11 without any adult supervision...

Blue is the Warmest Color won the top award at Cannes, and it has some very Cannes-esque tropes. Lots of nudity, coming-of-age story, French, gay themes, talk about philosophers and artists, etc. It was preaching to the choir. I don't know its a great movie, and it might bear the burden of being a bit overrated with the award, but I really liked it. Its an honest, bear-bones simple portrayal of a romantic relationship that anyone, homo or hetero, could relate to. Adele Exarchopoulos is amazing as the lead, portraying heavy emotions while still seeming completely natural. Apparently Steven Spielberg really liked it, and for whatever reason I get a kick out of The Beard watching a film with hot lesbo sex and giving it the thumbs up.
    Enjoyed 'Mood Indigo' myself, and the the film is as you say, "...Gondry turned up to 11 without any adult supervision". If you enjoyed the "heart" of the film, you may enjoy 'Kuroe' (Chloe) from Japan. The 2001 film self-admittedly strays from a novel adaptation, but it all works.

'Blue Is The Warmest Colour' was the unanimously-voted recipient of the Palme D'Or. Spielberg himself came out in an interview and defended giving the award to Léa and Adéle, as well as the director, because the winner of the Palme is unable to receive any other prize from the official jury, and he felt that they deserved individual praise. I agree that perhaps the film was a little too "festival-heavy" overall, but both actresses did give great performances.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Season premiere of Bee and Puppycat!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Season premiere of Bee and Puppycat!
    ahhhh! is it on CN or just on youtube on cartoon hangover!?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Just on youtube.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Any UK posters been watching Peaky Blinders? It's been showing every Thursday night on BBC2, the last episode of the current second series was last night.

It features Cillian Murphy in the main role, and this series it has featured Tom Hardy too. Brilliant series revolving around 1920's Birmingham gangs. Plot is too long and winding to type, but I would heavily recommend it. It can be found online and is well worth a watch.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Was blown away by Interstellar last night, absolutely incredible sci-fi film that hit all the right notes for me. That said, I cannot believe how many people these days come into theaters to do everything but watch the movie, or even worse, talk the entire time as if they're at home, on their couch, as opposed to, y'know, surrounded by other people who couldn't give a shit and all paid to get in. These two old people would. Not. Stop. At. All. So many people said "Shh," then "Would you please be quiet," escalating to "Shut up," etc., everything short of a smack to the face really, and at no point did it seem to phase them in the least. Hell, as soon as the screen said "Directed by Christopher Nolan" the guy had the nerve to just go "THE END" really loudly, like he had to do one more thing to be the most annoying man on earth for anyone who wasn't he or his wife that night.

But back to the actual movie, it was so fantastic that I'm really wanting to go see it again in IMAX (never been to an IMAX theater in my life), simply because it was such a remarkable experience. It's really, really ambitious at everything it attempts, and while a few of those things don't quite land or its grand scale causes some narrative hiccups along the way, I honestly feel that they nail so many other things that it isnt a big deal. I'm still surprised to see this with far lower Metacritic and RT scores than I'd've thought.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I'd just like to give a big shout out to the film Lucy: Dear Luc Besson, if your future films are going to be of this quality, just stop making films. God Lucy sucked.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    As The Palaces Burn DVD that I picked up on my journey to best buy.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

halfway through this mini-series. it's fantastic. the animation style is awesome, the music is INCREDIBLE, the voice-acting is top notch, and the writing is superb. some of the people working on it are associated with adventure time, one of the guys is a ren & stimpy alum. it's adorable, fun, scary, and really well balanced between being "appropriate" for kids and entertaining for adults. i can't say enough good things about it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Not even fucking around, the last fifty minutes of 13 Assassins.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

A pleasant surprise. The cinematography is great, some shots will definately get copied in future movies. Altough not really surprising I thought the screenplay was quite imaginative as well.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Whoa, Cabin in the Woods is a lot of fun. It was always getting pushed back on my Netflix queue because I thought it was another run-of-the-mill horror movie. Pleasantly surprised. Also, great lyrically-appropriate use of some Nine Inch Nails at the end.
    Last edited by Millionaire; 11-15-2014 at 09:33 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    also watched Paranorman for the second time (bought it for $10 on blu-ray off amazon since they took it off netflix) and it's so great. definitely my favorite animated movie of the last 5-10 years.
    i watched it with my going-on-three year old niece the other day...it was a couple nighst after her first halloween that she was old enough to understand and she wanted to see "monsters!"
    i LOVED it, and i think it's awesome that movies are still being made with clay. @eversonpoe , have you seen Coraline?

a cute side note...when Layla, (my niece,) started seeing all the halloween themed commercials, it freaked her out. She thought it was like the news, like a warning or something.

She said "Tywer! Monsters are COMING!"

it was SO fucking funny and adorable.

edit: oh, i forgot...i'm going to watch one called The Signal and also one called Extraterrestrial...that's the plan for tonight anyway.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Second season of Peaky Blinders is up on Netflix. I absolutely love this show. Cillian Murphy is outstanding, as is the rest of the cast. Oh, and the theme song they chose for the show isn't too bad either:

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Guardians of the Galaxy, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and yesterdays Walking Dead should round out my night off from work. Also grabbed The Hunt and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang from the library as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow, just wow. After Breaking Bad and True Detective this was just what I needed. Amazing.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Panic Room is the best David Fincher film in my opinion. Finally saw Gone Girl and was reminded of Panic Room. It blew me away when i watched it other day. I always for some reason liked it more than Seven or Fight Club or The Game but it seems way better now than it did in 2002.
    Im not the biggest Fincher fan, The Panic Room is the only film of his where i truly get his style, with that dark tinted lighting.
    Something about the tone of it and pace i really like. And that beautiful house. Jodie Foster is great, the psychopath Raoul is terrifying.
    The end scene with the sledgehammer blows me away. Best Fincher film and one of my favourite films of the 00s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    Panic Room is the best David Fincher film in my opinion.
    Have you seen Zodiac?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tudek View Post
    Have you seen Zodiac?
    This, a thousand times. Zodiac is still the best Fincher film.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

What Are You Watching?

Yeah Zodiac is awesome. I haven't seen Panic Room since I saw it in the theater but I remember not liking it

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tudek View Post
    Have you seen Zodiac?
    no i have not seen it and i dont know why. this one bypassed me. i will watch it. I have heard a few people say its really good.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Well, finally watched True Detective. Phenomenal.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    This, a thousand times. Zodiac is still the best Fincher film.
    A lot of people say this... I liked it, but I definitely wasn't blown away by it. I need to watch it again. I was much more impressed by The Social Network, Fight Club, Seven, and Girl w/ the Dragon Tattoo (which thought was really underrated).

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Broad City. Fuck, this show is ridiculously funny.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    Broad City. Fuck, this show is ridiculously funny.
    Is the second season out yet? I powered through the first one a while ago, totally forgot about it until just now!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    CNN's "The 60s." Wow, holy crap, this is fantastic!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanez33 View Post
    Is the second season out yet? I powered through the first one a while ago, totally forgot about it until just now!
    Not yet, but I can't wait for it. I really hope people spread the word on this one. According to the viewership numbers it looks like this thing is just hanging on.

I'm also really enjoying Amy Schumer's show, but Broad City is better.