Page 31 of 131 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 81 ... LastLast

Thread: Shitty Music. (The Nickelback Thread)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I just had the misfortune of watching Bastille perform a song on a charity thing on TV, this is fucking awful

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Death Grips. There's no melody, the beats are awful. The saddest thing is I fucking know these two guys KNOW THAT. They know they've reached a level of notoriety at which they could make a 30 minute track of an M-16 rifle firing on repeat with chicken sounds and the one guy just grunting and people will be like 'OMG, IT IS SO OUT THERE. THESE GUYS ARE TESTING THE BORDERS MANNNNN....'

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    maybe it should fall into the controversial opinions thread, but seriously, Death Grips are bullshit

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    There are, but besides... one of the things that makes this board interesting (to me at least) is that even when people get all amped about music that I think is complete bullshit, they seem to authentically care about it. I've noticed that people in general don't seem to be as excited about music anymore, but on this board, people are. Even if I hate the music they're excited about, it's nice to see people authentically give a shit about music.
    I know I'm very late to responding to this, but it's so true as I've tried to talk about music on Facebook the same way I did here, and even as somebody that's far from being among the biggest fans of music, I too, couldn't help but realize that. Finding people to discuss music the way it's discussed on ETS was actually harder than I thought and expected, and it was also definitely harder than it looked. Most people also either had tastes most people didn't like or care for at ETS as well. A lot of them also didn't even care to listen to albums. (Then again, sometimes finding fans of rock music in general is hard.)
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 11-15-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    agreed on the anti-death grips campaign. they're generally awful, and since they cancel every single show they're slated to play, i'm amazed that anyone still books them.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    I'll hop on the Death Grips pile-on. Tried em, didn't get em. Tried em again, didn't get it. I see people on facebook so excited about Death Grips that they're virtually tearing off their faces to exude more excitement, and I don't know what to think. At least the band puts their music up for free, I'd be really disappointed if I paid money for any one of those albums.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I would blame this board for convincing me to buy The Money Store sight unseen, but I only have my stupid self to blame. That'll teach me to buy albums based on random excessive recommendations. I want my money back.

this was what happened:

ME: Hey, let's throw this on. I heard it's like an intense mashup of punk, industrial, hip hop, and something else all thrown together in a sort of lo-fi hi-tech assault on your senses.

FRIEND: Sounds cool

:cue the sounds of Death Grips:

FRIEND: So, this sucks

ME: Yeah, it does. This sucks a lot.

FRIEND: Who told you this was good?

ME: Someone on a web forum...

FRIEND: I hope we learned something today.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 11-15-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    You bought an album that you didn't even sample? It's the year 2013. There's honestly no reason anymore to jump the gun on albums. At least youtube a song first.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

The most boring and uninspiring song I have heard in a loooooooong time.

There was this song playing at my college's coffee shop that was horrible too. It was this generic sounding folk indie song about bees. If anyone knows it can you tell me the name? I want to show it to my girlfriend, she doesn't believe such a song could exist.

NVM, foudnd it. So baaaad
    Last edited by icecream; 11-15-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    You bought an album that you didn't even sample? It's the year 2013. There's honestly no reason anymore to jump the gun on albums. At least youtube a song first.
    Well, actually it was 2012.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    LOL @ the death grips haters. I'm guessing you guys hate Atari Teenage Riot as well? Also, there's not really anything to "get". It's just music.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    LOL @ the death grips haters. I'm guessing you guys hate Atari Teenage Riot as well? Also, there's not really anything to "get". It's just music.
    No, I think Atari Teenage Riot is fun and kind of hilarious. When I saw them live, Alec did this ridiculous speech about how "We are here for one reason and one reason only: To incite violent revolution against your capitalist American government!" The entire crowd cracked up laughing and it was a good time all around.

And if you're going to take special exception to people saying they "don't get it," I take exception to calling someone who thinks Death Grips sucks a "hater." I'm not a "hater," I just think this band makes bad music.

I can't speak for anyone else though, but when I say "I don't get it," I'm actually saying I don't understand what the fuck people could possibly like about this, because it sucks. In the same way that I don't get Celine Dion or Garth Brooks. I hope that clears things up.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Yeah, "I don't get it" is politely saying "it's fucking unbearable noise and hipster crap" in this case for me. Any band that schedules a show and no shows is totes rad and definitely cares about their fans. But it was a "statement" right?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Fair enough. But you didn't exactly explain why you think it "sucks". Not that you have to. Just curious. Too harsh? Not enough melody? I understand why someone would hate music like this, but saying it "sucks" without any reasoning leaves me with the assumption that you think Death Grips output lacks musical talent. Again, that's just me assuming without any idea of your knowledge for this particular sound or electronic music in general. In my opinion, every member of the band brings a unique characteristic to the project and when those skills converge, this enormous, fun wall of noise blasts through your speakers. Zach Hill is one of the best drummers of his generation. MC Ride's vocals scream with character and enthusiasm. Flatlander I'm only aware of because of Death Grips, but I love his production on these albums. This is the next generation of punk. It's nothing new. Just existing in the now. It's fun! That's just my taste and opinion.

And bailing on a show is only a big deal because you want it to be. You talk about it because you read it on news sites and message boards. Hive mind mentality. Who cares if they don't show up? Why do you hold such high expectations for these human beings? Because you listen to the music and suddenly you claim ownership over their lives? Making music does not mean you have to bow down to your audience and satisfy their demands of the traditional band/fan relationship. That says more about you than it does about their refusal to play a show. We are free to do as we please in this world. As such, you are free to hate them because of their antics. Interesting that things which exist outside the music now matter in our hyper-information society.
    Last edited by rampface; 11-16-2013 at 01:41 AM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Yep I read about it and thought, "What a shitty thing to do to your fans. You douchey hipsters planned this commitment and didn't honor it." I hold no expectations for "those human beings." I thought they were bad musicians and now I know they're unprofessional bad musicians.
    Claim ownership? Hive mentality? You sound 14 but here you go--Trent Reznor has never played "And All That Could Have Been" live which bums me out. He never HAS to. I will still like Nine Inch Nails best and will go to their shows, which I know will happen barring any major issues like illness.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I am not attacking you. Simply discussing the topic.

Why do you presume with the coupling of these words "claim ownership" and "hive mentality" that I'm a teenager? These are actual ideas that transcend age barriers. Are they not worthy of discussion? Why do you assume the role of a teenager to be negative? (I'm not if you're wondering). Also, you do hold expectations to musicians if you deem them to be "unprofessional" for refusing to play a show. What does being a professional entail? What is honor? What is commitment? Why do fans deserve anything? Maybe they don't make music to serve an audience. That was the point I was making earlier. You are claiming ownership over their endeavors. That's not to say you have to agree with their position of malice. Only realize that when you pay for entertainment, YOU the consumer commodify the art. At that point, the music becomes a product. The purity of heart and sound is soiled. When you pay to see a show, YOU the consumer transform the artist into a puppet on a string. No longer is the creator performing as a release of creativity, but as a whore for your amusement. This is truth whether you choose to ignore it or not. I appreciate that Death Grips do not give one fuck about anyone but their art. Why should they? Why is your judgement more important than the architect?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Shitty Music. (The Nickelback Thread)

"That's just, like, your opinion man."

I started a thread on a band I really like here once it got few replies and iirc they were panned as being shitty and generic, which I can see. I let go... Writing some diatribe isn't going to change minds, and further some people roll in shit on a piece of canvas and call it art. I think it's a piece of paper covered in shit, others may really like it.
    If the art can stand on its own it will.

*Also I'm curious why you would so righteously defend a band who, by your own admission, could give a fuck what you think?

I've had too much coffee this morning.
    Last edited by Pillfred; 11-16-2013 at 08:35 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm not defending the band. I'm defending the idea.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    Why do you presume with the coupling of these words "claim ownership" and "hive mentality" that I'm a teenager? These are actual ideas that transcend age barriers. Are they not worthy of discussion? Why do you assume the role of a teenager to be negative? (I'm not if you're wondering). Also, you do hold expectations to musicians if you deem them to be "unprofessional" for refusing to play a show. What does being a professional entail? What is honor? What is commitment? Why do fans deserve anything? Maybe they don't make music to serve an audience. That was the point I was making earlier. You are claiming ownership over their endeavors. That's not to say you have to agree with their position of malice. Only realize that when you pay for entertainment, YOU the consumer commodify the art. At that point, the music becomes a product. The purity of heart and sound is soiled. When you pay to see a show, YOU the consumer transform the artist into a puppet on a string. No longer is the creator performing as a release of creativity, but as a whore for your amusement. This is truth whether you choose to ignore it or not. I appreciate that Death Grips do not give one fuck about anyone but their art. Why should they? Why is your judgement more important than the architect?
    wow, this is pretty damn dramatic. i don't claim any ownership over the band, but basically, i see it like this: if you're a critically lauded band, soaking up the press like a champ, and continue to book shows and continue to break your commitments, why the fuck do you even bother booking shows in the first place? they would earn a lot more respect if they just flat out refused to play and just released music as per your defense. but no, behaving like a bunch of snotty kids and fucking over fans, labels, and all the people behind the scenes to book these shows is not cause for respect, and does not make them true artists. i don't understand what's to argue about that.

meanwhile, i couldn't care less about their music and don't find it listenable, so this behavior only solidifies the fact that i want nothing to do with them. when it comes to stuff like this, you command the respect you deserve. if they can't be bothered, neither can i.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I'm gonna throw another NAY out there for Death Grips (the cool band cool people like). Sigh.

Sounds like utter shite to me. And honestly I gave them a shot, I've no agenda!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Grammar is dramatic? Okay...says the person who neglects to capitalize sentences and "I's".

LOL

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Death Grips' music engages the "I like this" centre of my brain. I can't really explain it any better than that (because I'm not a neuroscientist). It's a bunch of sound that I find fun to listen to for whatever reason. I'm not going to launch into an impassioned defense because I'm not all that passionate about them. They put out a bunch of free stuff that I enjoy listening to. I learned to ignore all of the silly buzz and memes surrounding them a long time ago.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutilated View Post
    (the cool band cool people like). Sigh.
    Why even think like this? Who cares about how many people like it? If you don't, that's that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Over the summer I worked at a concert venue and Death Grips played back in June. Yeah, this was before they decided to replace their live show with a CD player and a suicide note. I met MC Ride and Flatlander and made their dinner (I made a lot of people's dinner, Jello Biafra, Michael Gira, etc.). They were pretty chill and down to earth, definitely not what their image and sound make them out to be. They were nice people and I do like The Money Store and the new one that just came out. The one with the dick on the cover wasn't really that good though.

Actually the Atari Teenage Riot comparison last page is pretty accurate. Most of my friends didn't like ATR when I played them or Death Grips either.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    If you think it's grammar that made what you wrote dramatic, you missed the point. It might have been the freshman level philosophy class cliff notes you inserted a terrible and unprofessional band into and then chose to post. And now I've put more energy and time into this than I wanted to so I'm done.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    lol lol lol

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViN View Post
    The one with the dick on the cover wasn't really that good though.
    I think that No Love Deep Web (the dick album) is better than The Money Store.

I see both sides of the Death Grips coin but as a fan of theirs, I think that they have an unique sound. Some might think its shit; others might think its the best thing since apple pie. But, yes, they are dicks (pun intended) for canceling all their shows.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So, I just remembered that this exists.

2006 was horrible.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by staleincense View Post
    So, I just remembered that this exists.

2006 was horrible.

1992 was terrible.

I legitimately feel bad for any child conceived during this song.
    Last edited by Pillfred; 11-17-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Sorry I forget....
    Last edited by Pillfred; 11-17-2013 at 09:42 AM.