Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Mank (2020)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I cannot wait to get that. Absolutely gorgeous.

Really love the touch of the tagline "nothing sounds better" in particular, like how the Watchmen Vol. 3 vinyl had a nothing-style Null logo for the label.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    reeks of product placement lol.
    ha. something like that? watch out everyone, the old nin hotline's dead - now they shill for Trent Reznor.

(look, i definitely reek, but that's the lockdown you're smelling.)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    I agree in isolation, but the music in Mank is sadly often buried in the mix, while in Soul it’s VERY prominent. So while I agree that Mank is a much more impressive score music-wise, I can see the argument that Soul’s score better serves the cinematic *function* of a score than Mank’s does.
    This is a good point. I think the other factor is we're blown away by Mank not just because it's a fuckin good score but also (maybe moreso) because we're all keenly aware of the stylistic and musical departure from...nearly everything they've ever done. To your average music listener / film watcher that may not be apparent. Now that's not to say they've never heard NIN or never heard of TR & AR but it may not make in impact. And as @Toadflax said, these awards are recognizing how well the music serves the film and not so much the composers' musical transformation.
    Last edited by cdm; 03-04-2021 at 08:31 AM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    ha. something like that? watch out everyone, the old nin hotline's dead - now they shill for Trent Reznor.

(look, i definitely reek, but that's the lockdown you're smelling.)
    Was there any indication of when the vinyl was going to be on sale? Also did you get any letter or anything with it or did it just show up in a box and you were like "awesome!"?

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Already got mine, too. Believe me, it is amazing..!

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadeout54321 View Post
    Was there any indication of when the vinyl was going to be on sale? Also did you get any letter or anything with it or did it just show up in a box and you were like "awesome!"?
    No indication of when the commercial version will be available - just that it will be different - and this literally showed up unannounced, in an oversized white cardboard envelope from UPS.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    just that it will be different....
    There's something in there saying the one you received will be different that the publicly available? I avoided totally dissecting the pictures out there hoping that I'll eventually get to enjoy my own once it's available.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    There's something in there saying the one you received will be different that the publicly available? I avoided totally dissecting the pictures out there hoping that I'll eventually get to enjoy my own once it's available.
    No, it was something I heard back in response to my "omg thanks!!!!!!!!" email

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    How are people randomly getting these in the mail?!?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    No, it was something I heard back in response to my "omg thanks!!!!!!!!" email
    SH*T, guess I better start looking for a kidney buyer and an icy bathtub.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Yeah, do they just send them randomly to people who have spent a lot of money or placed a lot of orders through nin.com? Leviathant and people working for magazines or music websites getting an early release makes sense to me, but there seem to be other random people getting them too.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    No indication of when the commercial version will be available - just that it will be different - and this literally showed up unannounced, in an oversized white cardboard envelope from UPS.
    Well that's disappointing. I guess my wallet will probably be happier though.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    SH*T, guess I better start looking for a kidney buyer and an icy bathtub.
    It's moments like this that I'm relieved I decided to keep the score work out of my core collecting priorities, else I'd be next in line for that bathtub!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    If the commercial release ends up just being a regular vinyl sleeve, that’s not just disappointing, that fucking blows. Especially since people are getting this weird deluxe edition sight unseen without any indication that it’s not actually a preview of what regular people can buy.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gorast View Post
    If the commercial release ends up just being a regular vinyl sleeve, that’s not just disappointing, that fucking blows. Especially since people are getting this weird deluxe edition sight unseen without any indication that it’s not actually a preview of what regular people can buy.
    I think the fact of the matter is, for all the star power behind it, Mank is a niche film with unlikely budget behind it. Maybe what I got is FYC Oscar fodder, and if so, the fact that a few fans are getting copies is actually pretty unusual. I can say that as the guy who runs the NIN Hotline, I don't own a single FYC score - much though I'd love to, I can never justify the cost on the secondhand market. That's movie industry stuff that's generally been out of the purview of a musician's traditional, uh, distribution.

You also have to remember that it took a long time for the deluxe vinyl box for TGWTDT to sell out. I have no insight into the sales of the Bird Box vinyl set, but I'd bet that factors into just how much team Netflix considers investing into a similar labor of love.

I don't own the vinyl edition of the Dragon Tattoo score. I just didn't have the scratch at the time. This Mank packaging? I imagine the retail cost would be pretty far up there, and while I'm in a better position financially than I was in ten years ago and might pull the trigger on something like this... limiting a vinyl release to one pricey box set gives far fewer people the opportunity of listening to the music in this way. I'm guessing the version you'll be able to buy in stores will still feature period artwork, and will still be an excellent artifact to have.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    To be clear, my irritation isn’t at anyone who actually receives one of these, which I think didn’t come across right with the language I used. It’s more so that these were sent out, and no indication was given whether they were pre-release examples, Oscar bait, anything of the sort, so understandably they became representative to me of what we’d actually be able to buy, even though that doesn’t seem to have been the intention.

It’s just kind of disappointing, especially considering that the Dragon Tattoo and Bird Box deluxe boxes exist. It’s not about who got these, I don’t care about that - it’s that it wasn’t made clear to you or Wampler that these aren’t representative of a retail product.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    To be clear, my irritation isn’t at anyone who actually receives one of these, which I think didn’t come across right with the language I used. It’s more so that these were sent out, and no indication was given whether they were pre-release examples, Oscar bait, anything of the sort, so understandably they became representative to me of what we’d actually be able to buy, even though that doesn’t seem to have been the intention.

It’s just kind of disappointing, especially considering that the Dragon Tattoo and Bird Box deluxe boxes exist. It’s not about who got these, I don’t care about that - it’s that it wasn’t made clear to you or Wampler that these aren’t representative of a retail product.
    I get what you're saying here and if the retail presentation is wildly different then I'd have to agree. But let's wait to see what the retail version looks like...it behooves them to announce it sooner rather than later. So even if it's a pre-order I think we'll have details soon enough.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    it’s that it wasn’t made clear to you or Wampler that these aren’t representative of a retail product.
    Admittedly, I could have tweeted out a message like "I unexpectedly received a white cardboard envelope with this incredible triple album in it. When I emailed to say thanks, in the reply, I learned that it was a special thing being sent out to just a few people, different from the consumer offering, but it was okay to post pictures."

The thing is, part of the reason the NIN Hotline came about was because in the 90s, there was so much fucking mystique around Nine Inch Nails that it was hard to track down all the details. There was stuff people heard on tour, stuff Trent mentioned in interviews, there were things the band put out through publicists, there was record label stuff, there were rumors. Eventually, nin.com becomes a thing, and it's a total art project - which was great! And over the years, the NIN camp got better and better at focusing their messaging, especially as they moved away from Universal. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's clinical, but there's just not as much room for intrigue as there used to be.

And I miss that.

And so instead of presenting the equivalent of a nincatalog page (nincatalog fucking rules, not throwing shade), I joked about finding this record at a thrift shop, and let it hang in the air for a bit.

I'm sorry that approach ended up being irritating.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The boys reading this RN:

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Admittedly, I could have tweeted out a message like "I unexpectedly received a white cardboard envelope with this incredible triple album in it. When I emailed to say thanks, in the reply, I learned that it was a special thing being sent out to just a few people, different from the consumer offering, but it was okay to post pictures."

The thing is, part of the reason the NIN Hotline came about was because in the 90s, there was so much fucking mystique around Nine Inch Nails that it was hard to track down all the details. There was stuff people heard on tour, stuff Trent mentioned in interviews, there were things the band put out through publicists, there was record label stuff, there were rumors. Eventually, nin.com becomes a thing, and it's a total art project - which was great! And over the years, the NIN camp got better and better at focusing their messaging, especially as they moved away from Universal. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's clinical, but there's just not as much room for intrigue as there used to be.

And I miss that.

And so instead of presenting the equivalent of a nincatalog page (nincatalog fucking rules, not throwing shade), I joked about finding this record at a thrift shop, and let it hang in the air for a bit.

I totally agree with your statement regarding theninhotline. I used to NEVER be able to get any info about NIN if it weren't for the hotline. for god's sake, it was my homepage for years!
    That being said, I do miss the intrigue but I also appreciate the accessibility we have nowadays. The hotline still is a great resource and reference (like nincatalog ) for all the older pre-With Teeth era.
    Long live theninhotline and all the fan pages out there that put in the effort to keep them up-to-date and flowing with great information.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    While I'm sad that I won't be able to get the special packaging, I am glad that the creators of these communities are getting them. Well-deserved

Using Scott Wampler's photos and some font detecting, I've Photoshopped a mobile and desktop wallpaper mimicking the Mank album artwork, featuring Evgeni Koroliov's beautiful drawing. Feel free to download both here: https://imgur.com/a/DC5SLSO

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

And I miss that.

Levi, you don't have a THING to apologize for. All the work you've put into this community over the years, you deserve something ridiculous and unique like this. Thanks for STILL putting up with our whiny asses this many years later and for continuing to do what you do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Yeah, do they just send them randomly to people who have spent a lot of money or placed a lot of orders through nin.com? Leviathant and people working for magazines or music websites getting an early release makes sense to me, but there seem to be other random people getting them too.
    Man if that's the case i should have gotten one or two as well ! lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    You never know with Trent, I'm still hopeful there will be something very unique about this release, but those advance copies do look amazing. I love that they take so much care with their physical stuff.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    As a surprise to no one...Mank received an Oscar nomination for Best score. Mank is also nominated for Best Sound, someone we've heard a lot about, Ren Klyce, is part of that group.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/2...es-1234928711/

Jump over to the Soul thread for an alternate version of this post.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    As a surprise to no one...Mank received an Oscar nomination for Best score. Mank is also nominated for Best Sound, someone we've heard a lot about, Ren Klyce, is part of that group.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/2...es-1234928711/

Jump over to the Soul thread for an alternate version of this post.
    It’s funny that Mank hasn’t been that well liked as a film, but it’s got the most Oscar nominations at 10, like it’s being awarded for the craft gone into it rather than it being loved. I actually enjoyed Mank

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    It’s funny that Mank hasn’t been that well liked as a film, but it’s got the most Oscar nominations at 10, like it’s being awarded for the craft gone into it rather than it being loved. I actually enjoyed Mank
    I mean it's certified fresh at 83% on rotten tomatoes. That's seems pretty well liked to me.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I think with Mank, it's a more niche subject matter. Fincher is my favorite director, but I still haven't watched Mank yet, and that's because I feel like I should watch Citizen Kane first. Mank feels like it has a prerequisite in Citizen Kane that many people might not be interested in or have the patience for.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think it is so cool that Trent and Atticus continue to care about their NIN community. I am sure I reek of envy but bugger all, that is so pleasing just to see. Excited to read that Mank will have a release, albeit different. Plus, it is nominated for an Oscar. How cool! I am so happy for them.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I highly recommend seeing Citizen Kane before watching Mank, as well as qucikly reading up on all that went into making & releasing CK. Everything in Mank will make much more sense, and everyone who is into movies should see CK at some point anyway.