Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Grave's End: A True Ghost Story. It's pretty short, but it's taking me longer to read because of school. But, I'm already halfway through and glad I'm reading something outside my textbooks. Pretty refreshing change!

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    What's funny is that I think I might have some hidden and unknown pleasure for reading in my spare time. It's when it's put into assignments where I end up losing the fun in it. I still have yet to finish reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. I was only a few pages in, and it was such a pleasure to read. I even thought of getting more of his books. I think I'll actually save up for more of them so I can manage to buy some more of them once the semester's over, or during the semester for that matter.

And well, aside from school, since I'm usually a gamer first, that easily obliterates any reading time, but I think I'd also like to get into hitting the books more and more. Besides, it would help kill time if there aren't any games I want to play, or have beaten just about all of them. You could say Richard Dawkins got me into reading too.

(Since I'm always a gamer first, as mentioned.)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

What are you reading?

Since I enjoyed reading it so much at the start of the year, I got the revised and updated version of How Music Works by David Byrne yesterday.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. I'm about 2/3rds the way through and I love it, totally engrossed in the book. It's my first novel by Murakami and I understand its a more straight forward to his other works but I'm certainly gonna check out his other books.

I also borrowed Moby Dick from the library today, never read it.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Then We Came To The End-Joshua Ferris, quirky book about a declining add agentcy during during the 2k ressesion, lots of office humorous politics, with some dark jags thrown in. If you've ever been parked in a cube you might enjoy this, so far so good.
    Non-Fiction Social Engineering The Art Of Human Hacking-Chistopher Hadnagy, great primer into this science. It's kinda strange because from Defcon 18 to 20 SE was all the rage, this year not so much, didn't help that Capture the Flag was invite only. Oh well those Hackers are as fickle as NIN fans.. Oh wait..

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

how much feminist science fiction can one read? A lot, apparently.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Twilight View Post
    Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. I'm about 2/3rds the way through and I love it, totally engrossed in the book. It's my first novel by Murakami and I understand its a more straight forward to his other works but I'm certainly gonna check out his other books.

I also borrowed Moby Dick from the library today, never read it.
    Murakami is great! Of course Wind up Bird Chronicle is a good one if you want to check out more. My personal favorite (I have read all but 2-3) has been Kafka on the Shore. Aside from text books and books for research, I have been trying to read Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima. Too busy with all my term papers though :/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Just finished The Hobbit and 1984, now I'm reading the Harry Potter series, specifically Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. After I finish with Harry Potter, I'll probably read Lord of the Rings or the Hunger Games trilogy.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
    Just finished The Hobbit and 1984, now I'm reading the Harry Potter series, specifically Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. After I finish with Harry Potter, I'll probably read Lord of the Rings or the Hunger Games trilogy.
    Is this your first time with Potter???

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemonkey613 View Post
    Is this your first time with Potter???
    Well, I've previously read the first 6 books, but it's been so long that I need to reread them.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
    Well, I've previously read the first 6 books, but it's been so long that I need to reread them.
    AH! So you've never read Hallows! That's just as exciting! Have a great time yo. I re read them every couple of years. It's always great.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    I just finished World War Z on audiobook the other day and was blown away by all of the actors performances, are there any other good books that have a full cast like that? I've never really been into audiobooks because 99.9% of the time it's just someone reading the whole thing themselves and it's boring as hell.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Just wrapped up Carl Hiaasen's Bad Monkey, now on to Stephen King's 11-22-63. Up next: Stephen Colbert's I Am America (And So Can You).

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Finally reading this. It's not much fun, but it's not as bad as I thought when I tried it the first time and quit. In places I am even kind of digging it, though the obscurantism can be annoying: some scenes are very unclear as to what the fuck's going on. I guess this is part of the effect.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Just read:

And I just got started on my Christmas reading. My first book of December:

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

I'm now reading the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation, again; I'd put it down for a while when I couldn't manage to get through all the FRENCH in the first few chapters, but now i'm hooked. I can't put it down. Like, literally, it weighs too much, LOL. So I got the Kindle version. I am now totally engrossed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    All 3000+ pages

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Time for some light and fluffy Christmas reading:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Perfect holiday read

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    That could be a good companion to

which I read most of last night. It's nice knowing that in 1981, no media mogul rolled a joint like Ted Turner.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 01-06-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    just finished the third game of thrones book... need a serious break from giant fantasy epics so i'm switching back and forth between these two short story collections:

...both which contain some of the absolute best short stories i've read in some time... once i'm done with these books, it's time to finally start this beaut:

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

What are you reading?

Split between Hells Angels which is getting tiresome, and Factotum. The angels was good at first but like I said I'm kinda bored with it atm. Bukowski simply because of the holidays and my general grumpiness as of late. Once I'm done with those I'm gonna raid the roomies fairly large stash of books.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I just got Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad from the library. It's been on my 'to read' list for a while now.

After that I saw a collection of steampunk short stories that I wouldn't mind giving a go. I really like the aesthetics of steampunk so I want to try and see if there are any good books that incorporates it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Just read:

Just started:

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Finally decided to start reading the gunslinger.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

I finished off the fan translation of the novelisation of Silent Hill 2 this morning to boot.