Page 25 of 101 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 75 ... LastLast

Thread: Deftones

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So Deftones will be performing Around the Fur in June.

http://www.amnesiarockfest.com/bands2015/deftones/

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    So Deftones will be performing Around the Fur in June.

http://www.amnesiarockfest.com/bands2015/deftones/
    Was just about to post the same thing. This is going to be awesome!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Has Lhabia been played live? I searched in Setlist.fm, years 1997 through 1999 and found nothing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Has Lhabia been played live? I searched in Setlist.fm, years 1997 through 1999 and found nothing.
    Yep, they played it here in Houston a couple years ago. Sounded great live.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I wanna hear Mx badly.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    That'll be great to see live, I bet. Honestly though, the one album I'd pay enormous amounts of cash to see them do front to back is the self titled album. They could be opening for fucking Buckcherry or some other butt rock garbage like that and I would have no fucks given, would absolutely go.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Id pay the most money by far to see Like Linus.

Saw this thread bumped... Hoped for something related to new material :P

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Wow, his voice is going to be shot after that. I would love to see that set.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    I wanna hear Mx badly.
    i'm not sure they can do it very well without Analynn doing the telephone vocals live (and who knows if she would or not). it'd be sorta like getting Chino alone to sing "Passenger" — why bother? part of what makes it memorable is the vocal dynamics.

this is me assuming they don't play to a click, though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    i'm not sure they can do it very well without Analynn doing the telephone vocals live (and who knows if she would or not). it'd be sorta like getting Chino alone to sing "Passenger" — why bother? part of what makes it memorable is the vocal dynamics.

Chino has sang Passenger alone a bunch of times

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Doesn't Abe play to a click?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    live? why would he? it's not like they have timed video that requires everyone to be on time. Frank plays the live keys layers, they have a bassist, and if there's another guitar part, Chino plays it. i'm not seeing why anyone would have a click.

(but i don't stay on top of 'tones interviews, so if you have one where they say they play live to a click now, i'll stand down!)

Quote Originally Posted by Airbornefeline View Post
    Chino has sang Passenger alone a bunch of times
    and i'm sure all the charm was gone. don't get me wrong, Chino sings WAY better now in the live show, he really got on top of his breathing issues he's had for years (can't be easy jumping around like that all show and still holding every note!) – i just mean there's a huge difference between "Passenger" with MJK and without, and the same issue of representation would happen with "MX" and Analynn Cunningham, imo. and "Headup" without Max Cavalera, also an issue.

with that said, playing "MX" at all is definitely a win. it's one of my favourites and is a really undervalued gem they should keep in the setlists!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    live? why would he? it's not like they have timed video that requires everyone to be on time. Frank plays the live keys layers, they have a bassist, and if there's another guitar part, Chino plays it. i'm not seeing why anyone would have a click.
    Dude there are soooooooooooooooo many bands that play to clicks live. I think you're underestimating their value to live performances.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Dude there are soooooooooooooooo many bands that play to clicks live. I think you're underestimating their value to live performances.
    if i had in-ear monitors, i would, because then i'd be able to utilize all of the sound design/guitar drone layers i created for my band's album.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    i've done sound reinforcement for the shittiest local pop bands who play to clicks because their keyboardist is sending out FL Studio loops, and have a lot of friends in the sound reinforcement community here who handle the festivals and big touring acts that come through, so i have to say i don't think i'm undervaluing the use of the click live. i'm saying the 'tones don't need one because they can (and i think they do, from videos on youtube) do everything on the spot. like they have since 1995! (or before!)

and, just from listening to the records and seeing glimpses from YT videos, it looks like all of Frank's keys layers can be handled with two hands. i could see some songs he'd need pads layered on one set of keys or a split keyboard, but the band keeps the differential layers pretty simple in the studio; the 'tones chorusy-layered sound comes from layering the same thing over and over, especially Stephen, which they obviously can't do super well live.

trying not to come off like some dictator, though, because i don't know for sure, as i said. it's an educated guess. i'm gonna stfu about it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'd be surprised if there wasn't a click to give MIDI sync, and even do patch changes on the AxeFx rigs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    You don't have to use backing tracks to use a click, you might just want to be consistent with tempos!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManOfAtom View Post
    You don't have to use backing tracks to use a click, you might just want to be consistent with tempos!
    haha no, i know, i meant that i want to use backing tracks, and to do that, i'd have to use a click.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New Rolling Stone article.

Key points:

- New album was written with all members together, nothing written beforehand.
    - Eyeing a Sept. or Oct. release, 16 songs.
    - No guest artists announced yet.
    - Chino says Team Sleep is 'sitting' on their next record.
    - Crosses is on hiatus completely.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    i got into a drunk convo with a friend who has a close connection to the band. he said that they're wrapping up the mixing and then moving forward with putting it out. he was also mum on eros but made it seem like it will see the light of day.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    05/08 Santa Ana, CA – The Observatory
    05/09 Las Vegas, NV – Rock In Rio USA
    05/10 San Diego, CA – House Of Blues
    06/18 Montebello, QC – Amnesia Rockfest
    09/24 Rio de Janeiro, BRA – Rock In Rio Brazil

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    For as much as I grew up loving Deftones, it's weird how much I've fallen out from their last couple of records. I think the last album I truly loved by them was 2006's 'Saturday Night Wrist' which I don't think is as appreciated by the rest of the fans? 'Diamond Eyes' and whatever that one from 2012 was just haven't done anything for me and it seems like especially in St. Louis, there's still a rabid fan base for these guys which kind of bums me out since nothing new appeals to me from them.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    SNW is far from their best but definitely underrated. Fell in love with Rapture the first second I heard it. Mein catches a lot of flack, but I love it. Some great songs. Odd choice, imo, for Hole in the Earth to start it off though.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Saturday Night Wrist is still my favorite Deftones album! even after the greatness of Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan.

Despite the turmoil behind the making of it (or maybe because of that fact), it stands out to me. It's weird, diverse, and well sequenced, among many other things. I wish they did more instrumentals like "U,U,D,D...", and the guest vocals from Serj and Annie Hardy provide a refreshing, but not overwhelming, counterpoint to Chino. And I love Shaun Lopez's vocal production (see: "Cherry Waves", "Kimdracula")... not to mention the production in general.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    *Semi-drunk Friday night rant*
    Anecdote about SNW: I had an version ripped from a CD I bought, and then I lost the MP3 files and was lazy and bought it on iTunes. And Pink Cellphone has this extended outro about anal sex and cum?!? The first time I heard it I was like "WTF? The song was supposed to end? And she's talking about... WHAT"

I'm perhaps in a terrible minority of people who don't like White Pony all that much, and can't stand their earlier albums. I can appreciate White Pony "objectively", and some of the songs are great, but the production and overall change of style from one song to another (not that it's bad for a band to do so, it's just that it doesn't sound consistent, I dunno) kind of ruin it for me a bit, and it has a bit of a 90s feel for me, I guess, in a bad way.
    Really enjoy the first half of the self-titled and some tracks from the second half (Anniversary of an Uninteresting Event is one of their best songs, imo), but some of the songs are too repetitive, I guess. But I still maintain that that album is where they first found a consistent sound. Sometimes I think it's a perfect album, sometimes I think it's kind of close to being one.
    I enjoy SNW more.

Diamond Eyes I don't really like. I realize that given what was happening to the band at the time, they perhaps wanted to do a more upbeat record, but I can't dig that. Again, it's got some amazing stuff (You've Seen the Butcher, Prince), but the overall mood and some personal stuff that was happening to me at the time I listened to it kind of spoil it for me.

And Koi No Yokan is perfect. It's funny that it's so dense that I have trouble recalling what some of the individual songs sound like or what their names are, but each time I listen to it, I know it's going to be great.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    For as much as I grew up loving Deftones, it's weird how much I've fallen out from their last couple of records. I think the last album I truly loved by them was 2006's 'Saturday Night Wrist' which I don't think is as appreciated by the rest of the fans? 'Diamond Eyes' and whatever that one from 2012 was just haven't done anything for me and it seems like especially in St. Louis, there's still a rabid fan base for these guys which kind of bums me out since nothing new appeals to me from them.
    Im kind of the opposite way. I feel like other than like Linus, the true greatness of Deftones actually doesnt start until S/T and theyve been hitting new heights ever sense. Tough contest between SNW and KNY for me.

New shows means we are gonna start hearing some new tracks soon! Stoked for that.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I love every album this band has put out. From Deftones to Koi No Yokan you can really see and hear the progression and maturity within the music. The band has a lot of variety. I love it.

My favorite albums are Around the Fur, White Pony and Saturday Night Wrist. Not to say the others aren't good.

My favorite songs being Knife Party, Elite, My Own Summer (Shove It), Cherry Waves and Sextape overall.

This shit gets amazing at 2:47 to the end.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 04-03-2015 at 05:36 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunstmord View Post
    Anecdote about SNW: I had an version ripped from a CD I bought, and then I lost the MP3 files and was lazy and bought it on iTunes. And Pink Cellphone has this extended outro about anal sex and cum?!? The first time I heard it I was like "WTF? The song was supposed to end? And she's talking about... WHAT"
    that's on my CD version (and vinyl)...i wonder if you had some weird "clean" version of it?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yep, "Pink Cellphone" is 3:54 on the clean album version and 5:04 uncensored. (per wikipedia)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    that's on my CD version (and vinyl)...i wonder if you had some weird "clean" version of it?
    I think I opted for the clean version. Apparently that song was all Chino, no involvement from anyone else. It's ace up until that point, but the ending... totally gross and unnecessary - even for Deftones.