Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Last photo of David, taken by Iman on Jan. 8th

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 01-11-2016 at 01:34 PM. Reason: accuracy

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    No joke. And apparently the cancer that got him was in his liver. Guy was a fighter, damn...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    "He didn’t just battle cancer if that’s not enough - he had six heart attacks in recent years," she told BBC News.
    So it was not just in the last 18 months.

But this sounds like a lot of ca-ca:

"David made sure he died on a Monday morning so that people in England, the England he loved, found out first," she said.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-13-2016 at 09:17 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    what a high note to go out on, but i have been trying all morning not to cry. i think that most people's lives have been touched by bowie (whether or not they know it) at some point.
    Just about fuckin lost it at the office a few minutes ago during 'Heroes' ughhhhhhh

Will definitely be drinking a tall glass of Jameson tonight.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Well there is the line "Where the fuck did Monday go?" on the new album...
    People can generally "give up" while in hospice, but going from this in New York City (which had been his home for many decades):

to deliberately dead surrounded by his friends and family days later is romantic hoo-ha. She's promoting her book is what she's doing.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-11-2016 at 02:14 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Well there is the line "Where the fuck did Monday go?" on the new album...
    It's bullshit. Either rushed out the single / album release, or the timing is coincidental. One does not don't euthanize oneself to promote an album.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Just about fuckin lost it at the office a few minutes ago during 'Heroes' ughhhhhhh

Will definitely be drinking a tall glass of Jameson tonight.
    I've just opened a bottle of red wine and put on the Bridge School acoustic version of 'Heroes'. Tears are close.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Last photo of David, taken by Iman on Jan. 8th

Iman did not take these photos, Jimmy King did. They were also posted on Jan. 7th and probably come from even earlier than that.

Internet pls, today is hard enough without spreading bullshit

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Iman posted this on Instagram two days ago, allegedly, I don't think that's a confirmed account.

This was posted this a week ago.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-11-2016 at 02:39 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I saw it in a few articles. In keeping with the doing our best to avoid spreading bullshit, let's add 'and not being a shitty prick' to the list shall we?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    what a high note to go out on, but i have been trying all morning not to cry. i think that most people's lives have been touched by bowie (whether or not they know it) at some point.
    I browsed around Youtube today and man, David fucking Bowie has shared the stage with pretty much everyone's favorite artists... from Pet Shop Boys, to David Gilmour, to Stereophonics to NIN, Queen, Rolling Stones, Foo Fighters, Robert Smith, Tina Turner, Arcade Fire, Annie Lennox, Placebo, Lenny Kravitz, Bing Crosby, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, Billy Corgan and many more... just wow! One Bowie for all!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    I browsed around Youtube today and man, David fucking Bowie has shared the stage with pretty much everyone's favorite artists... from Pet Shop Boys, to David Gilmour, to Stereophonics to NIN, Queen, Rolling Stones, Foo Fighters, Robert Smith, Tina Turner, Arcade Fire, Annie Lennox, Placebo, Lenny Kravitz, Bing Crosby, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, Billy Corgan and many more... just wow! One Bowie for all!
    I was always hoping for a Bowie/Björk collaboration. Would have been weird in an unexpected way, I guess, but that would have been my dream.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ambergris View Post
    I was always hoping for a Bowie/Björk collaboration. Would have been weird in an unexpected way, I guess, but that would have been my dream.
    Oh man, I think the idea of that would've made everyone splooged. Bowie and Bjork would've made perfect sense.

OK, we know there's a tribute concert at Carnagie Hall coming in March. I heard some have already confirmed like Perry Farrell, the Roots, Cyndi Lauper, and the Mountain Goats: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-hall-20160111

I feel like there should be more. NIN, Iggy Pop, Ian Hunter, Peter Frampton. Anyone who loved his music or had played with him. Plus, as I'm sure there are some who probably had mixed feelings about the Glass Spider tour but I really think this is one of the finest duets from that tour between Bowie and Frampton:

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I am not a big bowie fan. It's not that I don't think his music is bad, its just I never really took the time to sit and listen.

My only exposure to Bowie was the nin remix and the obvious singles. So I am not here to say that I am a fan and sad.

But I do recognize his importance to music and his accomplishments as an artist. And to that I mourn the loss of one the greats.

I'm going to check out the new album, I saw the recent video yesterday and thought it was cool, now just down right sad .

RIP Mr. Bowie, without you , I would have never fallen in love with those which you inspired.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Oh man, I think the idea of that would've made everyone splooged. Bowie and Bjork would've made perfect sense.

OK, we know there's a tribute concert at Carnagie Hall coming in March. I heard some have already confirmed like Perry Farrell, the Roots, Cyndi Lauper, and the Mountain Goats: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-hall-20160111

I feel like there should be more. NIN, Iggy Pop, Ian Hunter, Peter Frampton. Anyone who loved his music or had played with him. Plus, as I'm sure there are some who probably had mixed feelings about the Glass Spider tour but I really think this is one of the finest duets from that tour between Bowie and Frampton
    I saw that Glass Spiders tour, LOL, and while I love Peter Frampton, that was a really weird tour, not as good as Serious Moonlight or even Reality.

Of course, Iggy and Bowie have been best pals for nearly 50 years. ("Jimmy" = Iggy)

Last edited by allegro; 01-11-2016 at 03:20 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    While at the bus stop this morning, a car passed by playing Heroes loudly. I felt a tear well up in my eye, such a great song, such a great artist.
    RIP Mr Bowie, I'll miss you.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I feel like there should be more. NIN, Iggy Pop, Ian Hunter, Peter Frampton. Anyone who loved his music or had played with him. Plus, as I'm sure there are some who probably had mixed feelings about the Glass Spider tour but I really think this is one of the finest duets from that tour between Bowie and Frampton:

dude what the hell did I just see?! that was amazing. Bowie's total fearlessness in trying any and everything is so inspiring.

on a lesser note, its really interesting to see how awkward the handheld mic seemed to be for him -- he kept grabbing it, expecting a normal microphone

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    I am not a big bowie fan. It's not that I don't think his music is bad, its just I never really took the time to sit and listen.

My only exposure to Bowie was the nin remix and the obvious singles. So I am not here to say that I am a fan and sad.

But I do recognize his importance to music and his accomplishments as an artist. And to that I mourn the loss of one the greats.

I'm going to check out the new album, I saw the recent video yesterday and thought it was cool, now just down right sad .

RIP Mr. Bowie, without you , I would have never fallen in love with those which you inspired.
    Very well put. My feelings and experience exactly.
    Last edited by simonn; 01-11-2016 at 04:08 PM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    I saw it in a few articles. In keeping with the doing our best to avoid spreading bullshit, let's add 'and not being a shitty prick' to the list shall we?
    Was not directed at you, my apologies. Idiots claiming he chose to die for the promotion of a fucking record were the target of my "Internet" rage, I am grieving as I'm sure you are and very angry at that type of armchair speculator hysteria.
    Last edited by botley; 01-11-2016 at 06:39 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    dude what the hell did I just see?! that was amazing. Bowie's total fearlessness in trying any and everything is so inspiring.
    He was engaged to that dancer (Melissa Hurley). Interesting trivia note.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    Actually, I still do. :P
    Oh man, best tour EVAH, and he brought out that Hamlet skull again for Cracked Actor. *le sigh*

Last edited by allegro; 01-11-2016 at 04:45 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Ah, Cracked Actor became a favorite of mine a couple years ago. Hadn't seen that performance of it before!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halloween View Post
    Ah, Cracked Actor became a favorite of mine a couple years ago. Hadn't seen that performance of it before!
    This is rare footage of Cracked Actor performed live from Philly Dogs tour (Diamond Dogs, 1974), when David Live: David at the Tower in Philadelphia was released.

That album contains my FAVORITE version of "Sweet Thing" (with David Sanborn on sax, Earl Slick on lead guitar)

Last edited by allegro; 01-11-2016 at 05:25 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Sigh, I can't believe I was actually hopeful I'd see him live, hoping he'd tour after this last album. Bah!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

tbh, I'm going to call BS on them "not knowing", especially if Tony Visconti was leader of the house band. I'm not saying they knew he was going to die on the same day it was announced, but I think they must have known that he would die soon.

Either way, you've got to admire how he managed to avoid any rumors of his illness surfacing beforehand and then releasing an album full of lyrics hinting towards his death, yet still no-one realizes and then when he goes just days later, everyone realizes what the album was about. He was artistic in life as in death.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by staleincense View Post
    tbh, I'm going to call BS on them "not knowing", especially if Tony Visconti was leader of the house band. I'm not saying they knew he was going to die on the same day it was announced, but I think they must have known that he would die soon.
    Visconti absolutely knew, the insiders working on the album and the play knew, but Bowie didn't call all his friends and tell them; I think that's the point that's attempted to be made, here. As big of a mouth as Visconti has, he was also a lifetime friend of Bowie's so he had to honor that friendship and Bowie's wishes?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    When I got to work this morning and saw the headline on my homepage, my first thought was more or less something like: "But...I don't want to live in a world without David Bowie."

It really does feel like things will never feel the same in music.