Page 22 of 66 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Add Violence

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Violets are blue,

Roses are red,

@kraw made the funniest NIN album cover

and I nearly shat my bed.

Seriously, @kraw replacing Rob and Atticus joining NIN are the best creative decisions Trent has done in a long time.

@kraw is different. @kraw is love. all hail @kraw .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    I'll read the thread later so maybe repeating, but quick impressions:
    1. The name is PERFECT. Nobody guessed this, I'm loving it, shirt ordered! :-)
    2. There are GPS coordinates in cover.jpg.
    3. LESS THAN waveform looks pretty bad (opened in Ocean Audio just to check FLAC parameters), probably very low dynamic range.
    Sorry if repeating, too many posts this morning and I just had to let it out. :-)
    Definitely noticed the dynamic range, it's very very loud.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It finally happened after all this time...I've become an impatient NIN fan! I lived through the 4 or 5 year waits on The Fragile & With Teeth, now I'm looking at July 21st on my calendar while saying "Fuck! I have to wait 8 more fucking days?! Fuck this!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    There are a few paths if you open the cover.jpg in photoshop.

not unusual for a photoshop document, but quite unusual for a JPG.

they hilight an area of the meter and a double border around the ENGAGE section

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post
    "When we did ‘Not the Actual Events,’ we were really seduced by the violence of it. The kind of throwing ‘Hesitation Marks’ out the window and being unafraid to explore approaches we have in the past with the kind of, you know, punch in the face feel to it. And I think that the length of a five-song EP felt like the right length for that, you know? And to repeat that isn’t as exciting anymore."

...but...but why not? I don't need it to punch me in the face, but can it be a little more experimental? Less Than was a lot more interesting in 2013 when it was called Came Back Haunted.

"And ‘Less Than’ is not entirely representative of where the rest of the EP goes."

I'd rejoice if it wasn't for that "entirely" qualifier.
    I love you

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Spoiler: the whole EP is a concept EP about Trent ageing.
    We got in trouble the last time we went down this road...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    You deserved to get in the shit for that awful Photoshop.

On topic, I've had a few people ask me for NIN recommendations over the strength of Less Than. Come through, powerful lead single!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post
    "When we did ‘Not the Actual Events,’ we were really seduced by the violence of it. The kind of throwing ‘Hesitation Marks’ out the window and being unafraid to explore approaches we have in the past with the kind of, you know, punch in the face feel to it. And I think that the length of a five-song EP felt like the right length for that, you know? And to repeat that isn’t as exciting anymore."

...but...but why not? I don't need it to punch me in the face, but can it be a little more experimental? Less Than was a lot more interesting in 2013 when it was called Came Back Haunted.

"And ‘Less Than’ is not entirely representative of where the rest of the EP goes."

I'd rejoice if it wasn't for that "entirely" qualifier.
    The more I listen to the song ... and while I like a good catchy NIN track ... I'm more in agreement with this sentiment. I would just love for Trent to challenge my ears a little bit more with something that didn't feel as immediate or as familiar. I'm still eagerly waiting to hear the rest of the EP and I'm liking the overall aesthetic to everything (I can't wait to pick up some new merch), but I'm hoping that Trent surprises us a bit here with some of the other tracks.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    The more I listen to the song ... and while I like a good catchy NIN track ... I'm more in agreement with this sentiment. I would just love for Trent to challenge my ears a little bit more with something that didn't feel as immediate or as familiar. I'm still eagerly waiting to hear the rest of the EP and I'm liking the overall aesthetic to everything (I can't wait to pick up some new merch), but I'm hoping that Trent surprises us a bit here with some of the other tracks.
    eh, it ain't BAD. But for me, it's kind of in the same ballpark as THTF. I have a feeling this will be the most radio friendly track out of these three eps

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    My thoughts on dystopic theme of Add Violence (the clues are in the cover.jpg high res image supplied with the mp3 download, as well as the lyrics) -

Here we have a population thought control device. It's representative of the main stream media(MSM) and their control of us via keeping us in a permanent state of anxiety. Populations are then more
    malleable. This tool has been used a lot throughout history but has been very commonly used on us since 9/11 onwards.

The powers that run our countries want their populations to be anxious so that they can be manipulated into being fearful of a manufactured enemy whilst being distracted from the real source of their life's problems/woes - the powerful interests (both corporate, financial and elites) that are behind the running of our countries, who in no way want us to 'wake up' and have 'advanced self awareness' or be 'engaged' in the process.

To increase the level of anxiety in a populace, violence is a commonly used method. Violence can be - war, terrorism, financial collapse, or social unrest/rioting/looting etc. We are all moulded by such control mechanisms through our media who create this 'simulation' environment in which we live to bring about some kind of order out of the "amplified chaos". It has parallels to The Matrix, meaning we live in a MSM/PR/propaganda created simulation, and have done all our lives (many of us don't realise this).

We have choices - either we live under this amplified state of anxiety, or we 'engage' and try to 'reset' our society and wake up to those that control us in the Matrix (simulation).

The thumbprint over the reset button could be an indication of attempts to 'reset' society or just the repetitive cycle of the media continually keeping us in an anxious state whilst resetting and repeating the process over and over again. The face of the Anxiety amp is all beat up, again reinforcing the overused nature of this mass population mind control technique.

Year Zero was about a future dystopic world, Add Violence is about that future dystopic world but it's it's here and we live in it now.

“Focus?
    We didn't even notice
    We awake in a place
    We can barely recognize, yeah
    Hypnosis

And you can justify it all
    Your back is up against the wall again

Shut up, silence
    Add a little violence
    And offend and pretend
    And defend and demand my compliance”

- Less Than lyrics

“Yes, everyone seems to be asleep”
    - Dear World lyrics
    Last edited by afors; 07-14-2017 at 11:53 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    ^ This is exactly what I took away from the cover art too.

Data manipulation is big business. Not that, say, Cambridge Analytica wants you to know anything about that.
    Last edited by nihilmatters; 07-14-2017 at 12:41 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Just so people know, the lines around the physical component are just jpeg artifacting. It happens to any compressed jpg with the color red in it. Here's an explanation and an example of it happening.

https://graphicdesign.stackexchange....n-other-colors

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nihilmatters View Post
    ^ This is exactly what I took away from the cover art too.

Data manipulation is big business. Not that, say, Cambridge Analytica wants you to know anything about that.
    Yup, their presence is felt in recent UK votes/referenda but who is paying attention?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    No luck finding the one used for AV yet, but I'm quite enjoying looking through old control boxes on lcwprops.com.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Spoiler: the whole EP is a concept EP about Trent ageing.

LESS THAN - Trent describes demanding a discount at IHOP
    THE LOVERS - Trent bitches about young folk and their public displays of affection at the Apple Store
    THIS ISN'T THE PLACE - A harrowing look at when Trent took the wrong exit on the highway.
    NOT ANYMORE - A fond reminiscence of when girls had perms and the whole world lay in front of a mulleted teen boy from Pennsylvania. Now Trent just has a room full of synths and screaming children. Partying to Culture Club? Not anymore!
    THE BACKGROUND WORLD - A lengthy discussion of how long it took to download a JPEG of the earth to use as a desktop background on Windows 95.
    try harder next time.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    eh, it ain't BAD. But for me, it's kind of in the same ballpark as THTF. I have a feeling this will be the most radio friendly track out of these three eps
    I would be over-fucking-joyed if "Less Than" replaced THTF in live shows from here on out.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Also, posted this over in "Less Than"...

Just like "She's Gone Away", there are "hidden" lyrics here, in the Apple Music lyrics tab.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    try harder next time.
    It's called having a personality. You should try it sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet
    Just like "She's Gone Away", there are "hidden" lyrics here, in the Apple Music lyrics tab.
    I have a feeling there'll be a lot of these "hidden" lyrics throughout the EPs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Long time lurker, first time poster. Created an account to get in on the fun of dissecting the "clue-filled cover artwork."

Bottom left of artwork has 4 holes that look like inserts for jack plugs.
    One of the ADD VIOLENCE album packages comes with a NIN keychain in the shape of a jack plug. (reference)

Maybe...
    NTAE = jack plug #1? ADD VIOLENCE = plug #2? EP3 = plug #3?
    ??? = plug #4?

...or something else entirely?

Photo reference

Apologies if someone has mentioned this already!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Alright, came home from a little road trip. Fuck yeah!! Another release, another perfect excuse to buy more shirts! As much as I like the new red "Add violence", I won't be wearing this at work.

Still bought both Dear World shirts, the cap and the 2nd physical component.

I might not buy the CD in September. I don't have any use for cds anymore. The physical component is an interesting idea. I still wish I could "pay" for the Deviations 1 (but never a vinyl).

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    For me, this song and the NTAE prove that Trent is pretty much incapable of sucking. Nearly 30 years into his career and he still delivers killer music. Sure, there are a handful of tracks I'm not in love with, but even those are pretty good. NIN are like the Beatles in that regard--mediocrity is impossible.

NIN never disappoint.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    No luck finding the one used for AV yet, but I'm quite enjoying looking through old control boxes on lcwprops.com.
    Ha! I'm glad I wasn't the only one. I didn't find anything either.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheddamash View Post
    Ha! I'm glad I wasn't the only one. I didn't find anything either.
    This guy searched control box, wall box, anxiety, engage, simulation, advanced, self, awareness, amplify, chaos, jack, and a bunch more to no avail.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinbeetle View Post
    This guy searched control box, wall box, anxiety, engage, simulation, advanced, self, awareness, amplify, chaos, jack, and a bunch more to no avail.
    Haha, I like the implication that you were expecting to find a box that actually had those settings printed on it.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinbeetle View Post
    Thanks man!

Haha, I like the implication that you were expecting to find a box that actually had those settings printed on it.
    Ha! I assume the labels have been altered.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    What does it mean!?!?!1

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    ITS ALL COИИECTED

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What happened to the community I use to know? The think before you post movement is gone. Lots of off topic discussion, conspiracy theories, and people that can't seem to just shut the fuck up and enjoy a new record as it comes. Instead let's compare it to older work, critique absolute non sense, and create drama where there should be none. Enjoy the art and express it! It's as if most of you are just looking for a way to complain about something and to discuss everything that has nothing to do with the actual piece of art presented.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inthemoment View Post
    What happened to the community I use to know? The think before you post movement is gone. Lots of off topic discussion, conspiracy theories, and people that can't seem to just shut the fuck up and enjoy a new record as it comes. Instead let's compare it to older work, critique absolute non sense, and create drama where there should be none. Enjoy the art and express it! It's as if most of you are just looking for a way to complain about something and to discuss everything that has nothing to do with the actual piece of art presented.
    Huh. I thought we were having fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Glad I'm not the only one!
    https://imgur.com/gallery/ngiHg