Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The Apple Thread

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I'm pretty fucking excited about tomorrow's iPhone 5 announcement. This will be the first time I pre-order an iPhone. I've been running the iOS 6 betas for a few months now on my iPhone 4 and I love it. Looking forward to a faster phone and hopefully a big jump forward with the camera/video. I anticipate being quite happy.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Oh today's the day?! Coool... Finally.
    Last edited by Amaro; 09-12-2012 at 10:20 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Great, now I'll probably have to re-build all my published iPhone apps to accommodate the larger screen size. Thanks a fucking bunch Zombie Steve.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I had read that there shouldn't be many scaling issues, but it wouldn't surprise me. Also, #firstworldproblems lol.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Great updates all around. KEWL.
    Last edited by Amaro; 09-12-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Maybe someone has been in the same boat and can help me.

I've been with AT&T for a while and still on a family plan with my parents. My fiance however now works for a company that gets a discount on Verizon so I am planning on switching. I've gotten the new iPhone every other year, so I still have the 4. I want to get the 5 and my contract would be up with AT&T by now anyway. So, if I want to preorder the iPhone 5 with Verizon, can I do that on Friday and add on to my fiance's account and still keep my iPhone 4 activated on AT&T until next Friday (if I get it that soon)? Or what's the best way to do this? I would like to keep my ph# the same.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    this is definitely the phone Jesus would buy.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mech View Post
    Maybe someone has been in the same boat and can help me.

I've been with AT&T for a while and still on a family plan with my parents. My fiance however now works for a company that gets a discount on Verizon so I am planning on switching. I've gotten the new iPhone every other year, so I still have the 4. I want to get the 5 and my contract would be up with AT&T by now anyway. So, if I want to preorder the iPhone 5 with Verizon, can I do that on Friday and add on to my fiance's account and still keep my iPhone 4 activated on AT&T until next Friday (if I get it that soon)? Or what's the best way to do this? I would like to keep my ph# the same.
    If you're on family plan with parents, the contract is probably under the name of one of your parents, not you.

I've known people who've switched from AT&T to Verizon and kept the same number so you SHOULD be able to do that but you can check with Verizon or Apple. You may need authorization from AT&T family plan contract owner (one of your parental units). Check with AT&T. This is all more about keeping your number and switching than it is about ordering the phone.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-17-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Gotcha. Yes, contract has been under my Dad's name for family plan for probably 10 years. I am sure it will be no biggie if I drop but will definitely check with AT&T to see what I need to do. Thanks for your input!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    has any non devs installed iOS 6 gm yet? might give this a bash later

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hoping to make it in to Verizon after work today to preorder. Not sure i will get in soon enough to make for next Friday's launch, but hopefully soon after! I'd like to think that they have this problem of supply and demand taken care of though.

Also, if anyone is curious about switching, here's what I found out from Verizon. Basically, when I preorder the phone being a potential new customer, I will be buying the phone at whatever price would be for new customers ($199, etc). They give it a temporary number. Then, when the phone arrives I can go in to the store to activate it, at which time I can port my number over from AT&T and voila, sounds easy as that! Let's hope anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty79 View Post
    has any non devs installed iOS 6 gm yet? might give this a bash later
    I have. It's running flawlessly. GMs are usually the exact same version that will be released to the public so I'd say go for it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I did go for it and done my gf's iPhone 4, I'm on the 4s, runs perfectly, no problems updating, didn't have to do a full restore as I've read some people have had to

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Pre-Ordered a 64gb Black iPhone 5 last night from a local provider. Should be in my hands by the 24th. Super pumped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's that time of year again where people religiously check tracking numbers. I'm guilty of it. Bring on Friday.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Becoming View Post
    It's that time of year again where people religiously check tracking numbers. I'm guilty of it. Bring on Friday.
    Haha! Same here. It's pathetic.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danebraddy View Post
    Pre-Ordered a 64gb Black iPhone 5 last night from a local provider. Should be in my hands by the 24th. Super pumped.
    Heh, I got the same. Really excited!

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Holy fucking christ I love this phone. AT&T's LTE speed here in Portland is kind of blowing my mind. I'm still so used to 3G speeds. Absolutely beautiful phone. SO LIGHT AND PRETTY!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbron View Post
    Holy fucking christ I love this phone. AT&T's LTE speed here in Portland is kind of blowing my mind. I'm still so used to 3G speeds. Absolutely beautiful phone. SO LIGHT AND PRETTY!
    How's the finish on the edges, I've read that they get easily scuffed, but i'm rather skeptic towards it. I'll try to get the 64/32Gb black one on next friday when the phone is released here in Finland. Can't wait!

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ax Mr. L View Post
    How's the finish on the edges, I've read that they get easily scuffed, but i'm rather skeptic towards it. I'll try to get the 64/32Gb black one on next friday when the phone is released here in Finland. Can't wait!
    It looks perfect in person. Not sure about scuffing but I'll post if I find it to scuff or scratch easily. I don't expect it to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbron View Post
    It looks perfect in person. Not sure about scuffing but I'll post if I find it to scuff or scratch easily. I don't expect it to.
    My black model and a very tiny scuff on the chamfered edge next to the aluminum back. It's only visible if you're really looking for it. The phone is mostly alluminum so I'm expecting it to scuff and nick. Hopefully that scuffing looks good with age like an old Leica camera. I'm extremely happy with this phone. Battery life seems great. It's remarkably faster than the 4S. And goddamn that extra half an inch of screen really makes it look gorgeous.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Traded my 3rd gen 32 GB iPod Touch two weeks ago since the mandatory upgrade to the 5.1.1. update made my wi-fi options in the options settings grey out. Whatever.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Becoming View Post
    My black model and a very tiny scuff on the chamfered edge next to the aluminum back. It's only visible if you're really looking for it. The phone is mostly alluminum so I'm expecting it to scuff and nick. Hopefully that scuffing looks good with age like an old Leica camera. I'm extremely happy with this phone. Battery life seems great. It's remarkably faster than the 4S. And goddamn that extra half an inch of screen really makes it look gorgeous.
    The scuffing concern does make sense. Hoping for the best. I am absolutely in love with this device. Light years faster than my 4 (processor wise) and the LTE is so nice. Everyone at work is suddenly now looking at their contracts to see when they can upgrade.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    its a nice phone. nobody is talking about how apple just kicked microsoft and sonys ass with the screen sharing to the apple tv. play need for speed on this thing and throw it on the apple tv. no lag. and total perfection. this is gonna change a lot.

it wasnt quite so smooth before. but now its just perfect.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I really LOVE my Apple TV.

We can't get the upgrade rate on the new iPhone 5, so we have to wait. (We have the 4S.)

We're waiting for the mini iPad.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-21-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I love this phone! My 4s feels like a brick now.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruised View Post
    I love this phone! My 4s feels like a brick now.
    This all amuses me because one day ago, I felt pretty good about my iPhone 4. Now it feels like a clunky worthless brick. Amazing how this happens in a matter of a few hours. The new phone is perfect. Just restored my 4 and gave it to my oldest daughter. She's a very happy kid right now and her younger sister is quite jealous.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Finally received my phone yesterday and got it activated. Switched from AT&T to Verizon, too, as it's more prominent in my area. This thing is AWESOME. I had the 4 previously and the upgrade to the 5 and the switch to Verizon LTE all at once just blows my mind. I got a speed test app and was getting 11.5 mbps download/ 7.79 mbps upload. That's faster than a lot of people's internet! I have fibre optic at home so I was getting 40 mpbs download but for comparison, Verizon's LTE service is 3x faster than my home internet for upload speed.

I originally planned to go naked, but due to "scuffgate" I decided to pick up a case at best buy. Got a griffin with a clear back and white trim. I have a black phone so the white trim really looks nice and makes it pop. After the case wears out and the phone isn't so new to me anymore, I'll probably go naked with it. The phone is still super light, even cased, and I just love the overall feel and look to it.

Also, I sold my original 5 gb iPod 1st generation a couple weeks ago so the phone was paid for in it's entirety by that alone (Who'd have thought, it was just sitting in a drawer!) Hope to get my 4 sold on eBay soon.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Speaking as a 4S user, the update to iOS6 really feels like a brand new phone. Amazing improvement in load times and functionality (except for the quite-rightly excoriated Maps cluster-fuck — sure it's kind of fun to see tall buildings in 3D... that's why I LIVE IN A FUCKING CITY... I SEE THEM IN REAL LIFE. OH, AND I NEEDED THOSE PUBLIC TRANSIT DIRECTIONS TOO, YOU FUCKS. DON'T SEND ME TO SOME CLUNKY THIRD-PARTY APP FOR THEM).
    Last edited by botley; 09-27-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I got my new iPhone in the mail. It really is a huge step up from my 4s. The screen is much more clear and the Internet 4LTE is pretty quick . I made 50 dollars from the upgrade so I'm pretty excited .