Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Austin City Limits show aired April 5, 2014

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'm registered and I can't get it to download, so don't feel too bad.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Anybody know what that wooden instrument they kept showing closeups of was? Kind of like a checkerboard, but it looked like it had frets but was played like keys? Interesting looking gadget . . .

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    Anybody know what that wooden instrument they kept showing closeups of was? Kind of like a checkerboard, but it looked like it had frets but was played like keys? Interesting looking gadget . . .
    It's a Soundplane from Madrona Labs. http://madronalabs.com/hardware

Wish I could afford one.

Also nice to see details like this on the broadcast (watching right now on KLRU-Q) that weren't visible when attending the show.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It was cool seeing the close ups and the gear.

But I thought the show and the crowd, was awkward and fucking weird.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NINisamazing View Post
    It was cool seeing the close ups and the gear.

Disagree about the show. Completely agree about the crowd.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Are you saying you don't see those exact people at any given NIN show? Because that's a straight-up lie. They're just never brought into full focus as frequently as ACL did. But they're there.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MechaFM View Post
    Lol at fuzzy beard man

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This was very cool! It was interesting to see NIN without anykind of visual stuff. Also this made me appreciate Pino Palladino even more, damn the basslines on Sanctified are smooth!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Lol at fuzzy beard man
    The guy in the slightly too tight red shirt and ballcap? Yeah that guy was great.As for the crowd, come on guys! NIN is a 25 year old band, what do you expect the crowd to look like?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Are you saying you don't see those exact people at any given NIN show? Because that's a straight-up lie. They're just never brought into full focus as frequently as ACL did. But they're there.
    i think it's mainly that those people are never right in front of the stage. Yes I've seen those people at NIN shows before but I've never been to a NIN show where the area immediately in front of the stage is people lined up in front of their seats in orderly rows doing the Carlton.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    The guy in the slightly too tight red shirt and ballcap? Yeah that guy was great.As for the crowd, come on guys! NIN is a 25 year old band, what do you expect the crowd to look like?
    To remain in denial that I'm one of the old farts in the crowd.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    In all fairness, my closet is still 95% black.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NINisamazing View Post
    Awkward and weird? I think crowd was pretty cool - especially when we will compare them to the "I-Am-The-Lion-Or-Another-Big-Cat-Man and His Friends" from the Lowlands Festival in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Lol at fuzzy beard man
    I like this guy and his style. I believe that the fact that someone has beard and is wearing a red t-shirt and a ballcap does not mean that he is not a true NIN fan. He is a true NIN fan and IMHO every NIN fan is special in its own way - and that's cool! :-)

Ow, yes, and I like the way how they started to "dance".

EDIT:
    I forgot to mention that this guy (and the rest of people from the first line) has the greatest digital NIN keepsake.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    That's the difference. Can't. Look. Away . . . Seriously, do we have to be reminded that we all look that awkward and weird at NIN concerts? I'm self-counscious enough as it is, dancing around!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    To remain in denial that I'm one of the old farts in the crowd.
    Kyle, you're at 999 posts. In case you like to make special 1000th post posts.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post

Not much has changed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nothing on Reflecting The Chrome yet??? Any other sources yet other than Dime?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Here's the PBS Video on PBS Video
    http://video.pbs.org/video/2365208812/

If you log in by Facebook (nothing really happens and you can delete it after in your security things), you can watch the HD version.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    i think it's mainly that those people are never right in front of the stage. Yes I've seen those people at NIN shows before but I've never been to a NIN show where the area immediately in front of the stage is people lined up in front of their seats in orderly rows doing the Carlton.
    I was at the Fonda back in 2009, about 6 feet away from the rail and the vibe was similar. Wasn't any raging going on there, just a lot of fans with cellphones standing/watching/taping.

Honestly, NIN fans just seem soft these days (sadly, I fall into this camp). When was the last time you even HEARD of a heavy pit for a NIN show? Compare that with say, Megadeth fans...

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I have to say, that dude in the red shirt and ballcap was my favorite crowd member. He was so enthusiastic about the entire show, it was great.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    Honestly, NIN fans just seem soft these days (sadly, I fall into this camp). When was the last time you even HEARD of a heavy pit for a NIN show? Compare that with say, Megadeth fans...
    part of that is TR's fault. Playing sets that are YZ heavy or having gospel singers onstage isn't really conducive to an aggressive show. If he had backup singers onstage in 1994 they would have had to wear helmets to avoid getting hit in the head from mic stands and keyboards being thrown around

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    part of that is TR's fault. Playing sets that are YZ heavy or having gospel singers onstage isn't really conducive to an aggressive show. If he had backup singers onstage in 1994 they would have had to wear helmets to avoid getting hit in the head from mic stands and keyboards being thrown around
    no arguments there. open camera policy for that tour didn't help - who wants to mosh while carrying around a 2k DSLR?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is there an HD file that is smaller than 5 GB to be had? I'm not up on how to convert these HD files into something smaller w/o messing up the quality. If anyone has any tips for me please PM me. Thank you! I can't copy a file over 4 GB to my PS3 to watch this!

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    having gospel singers onstage
    Really? Quit being a dickbag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought it was AWESOME. The set was perfect given the show and TV recording. I thought it was perfect for what it was.

The only thing that struck me was why he doesn't talk more live like he did during this show. Sure he says "thank you" and introduces the band, but beyond that I don't think I heard anything else and certainly didn't hear one mention of "Hesitation Marks" during any of those four shows I attended.

He's very personable on stage and in person and wish he would convey that more during his concerts.

I thought the show rocked and loved the set.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    His cheesy smile after that was too much to handle.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I know nobody cares, but I extracted closed captions (also called subtitles) and put them online here http://ninfrance.free.fr/soustitre/2...05.NIN.ACL.srt subtitles are still rare for NIN.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Thankfully, NIN isn't the band it was 20 years ago. An entire set of angsty music and stage trashing from a ~50 year old guy with a wife, kids, and several major awards under his belt would be pretty pathetic.

Just get a fucking time machine and go back to the early 90s. You hate that Trent is actually doing something different instead of staying stuck where he was in his 20s. We get it.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Thankfully, NIN isn't the band it was 20 years ago. An entire set of angsty music and stage trashing from a ~50 year old guy with a wife, kids, and several major awards under his belt would be pretty pathetic.

Just get a fucking time machine and go back to the early 90s.
    So by that theory, metal bands should stop playing aggressive music once they get to the age of 40 because its uncool for dudes in their 40s to show anger onstage?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    So by that theory, metal bands should stop playing aggressive music once they get to the age of 40 because its uncool for dudes in their 40s to show anger onstage?
    He(?) was referring in this instance more to the antics than the music. But even so I would agree that there shouldn't be a problem with an old man like Trent having a tantrum on stage.... if it was who he was. Which it isn't. The problem with your comparison is that NIN is not a metal band. NIN is one person doing what strikes his fancy at the time. The absolute last thing I want to see is Broken part 2 to placate the handful of Internet people who haven't grown up so they don't want anyone else to either.

Is this a midlife crisis thing where you're trying to relive your youth and Trent isn't cooperating?