Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Random HTDA thoughts

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

This 4chan gif reminds me of HTDA for some reason...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I think the guys behind the Under the Skin poster owe Mr. Sheridan some royalties. I'm going to see the film tonight! Has anyone seen it?

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    I think the guys behind the Under the Skin poster owe Mr. Sheridan some royalties.
    I think you might be smoking crack rocks.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    I think the guys behind the Under the Skin poster owe Mr. Sheridan some royalties. I'm going to see the film tonight! Has anyone seen it?

nopppppppppe but it was a really awesome movie, really recommend

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Did anybody connect the song Speaking In Tongues to the Talking Heads album of the same name? I'm guessing it's just taking titles from places, like the band name and Coil, but nevertheless reaffirms what TR was saying last year about TH being a big influence lately.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I̕'̕v͝e ́d̸i͢sc̛o҉v͠ére̡d á str͞ong̷er ̡at̨tract̸i͟on to t̨he͡ muşi̡c ͏o͘f ͠HD̷TA ̵now tha͟t I'vę ̀ba͝cke͡d ͘a͡wa̸y̶ ͘f͡rom͘ ̵l̛is̴teni͠nģ ̀to͏ NIN's҉ ̧ol̛d͜er̸ ͟hal̴oş ̨f͜oŕ a͞whil͟e. ͏

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    ...why did you zalgo

And I wish HTDA had been brought with NIN to europe, but I have a vague hope that the reason we didn't get any HTDA songs is that there'll be actual shows in the future

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    No time to explain!

But yes, I agree with you about bringing HTDA to europe.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    ...why did you zalgo

And I wish HTDA had been brought with NIN to europe, but I have a vague hope that the reason we didn't get any HTDA songs is that there'll be actual shows in the future
    I was listening to Welcome Oblivion on the way to London for the show, and forgot how much I loved that album. I also really laughed at that Tatler magazine special on Atticus that sheepdean posted, his mum is called Bunty - it's like something out of a PG Wodehouse novel!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I was listening to Welcome Oblivion on the way to London for the show, and forgot how much I loved that album. I also really laughed at that Tatler magazine special on Atticus that sheepdean posted, his mum is called Bunty - it's like something out of a PG Wodehouse novel!
    I read that article on the back of this post - had no idea he was so well-to-do!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Watching Mariqueen dancing to Cold Cave on the other side of the rail in Prague is probably the closest I'll get to see HTDA for now.

*cries*

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I'm glad someone else liked Cold Cave.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    I wish Cold Cave had been the opener in Chicago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    welcome oblivion is one of the very few albums i feel like i NEED to listen to front to back… although i tried to like the ep's, they didn't do much for me initially… & while i enjoy the 2 additional tracks on the white version included with the vinyl, i'm kinda glad they were left out in the end…

certainly hope we get more from this project… still kicking myself in the teeth for missing them live…

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    my little brother is one of those "nin hasn't mattered since '94" fans and therefore wanted nothing to do with HTDA.

But he was driving a few hundred miles back to dallas today and asked me for a cd to listen to...and welcome oblivion was one of the only ones i had.

Well, he popped that motherfucker in and after about 30 seconds, looked at me and said "Oh shit! this is dope!"

FINALLY!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    my little brother is one of those "nin hasn't mattered since '94" fans and therefore wanted nothing to do with HTDA.

But he was driving a few hundred miles back to dallas today and asked me for a cd to listen to...and welcome oblivion was one of the only ones i had.

Well, he popped that motherfucker in and after about 30 seconds, looked at me and said "Oh shit! this is dope!"

FINALLY!
    if it wasn't for that last part, i'd ask if your brother was secretly billpulsipher hahaha

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    i know @eversonpoe ... it crossed my mind, lol.

he gets on my fucking nerves with it. we LOVED nin together from the time he was 11 and i was 12, broken era.

but he decided the fragile sucked.

now he goes out of his way to rudely tell me how awful every new nin release is and how stupid i am for liking it.

sigh...i think it's some kind of bizarre sibling rivalry.

surely he's not bill...he spends his time doing graffiti and raising his daughter....but what does he do at night?

is my brother secretly the ANTI ELEVENO?!

lolz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    There's something about Strings and Attractors that I can't fight... the song is hypnotic.. once the chorus kicks in it gives me goose bumps... and from the 3:30 mark to the end, that simple little melody. ahhhh, I love it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    'Welcome oblivion' & 'hesitation marks' are both underrated.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The self-titled EP is absolutely fantastic. I've seen a lot of people call it weak or complain about it in various places over the years, but damn, it's by far the most-listened HTDA release for me. Fur-Lined, Parasite, A Drowning are all absolutely incredible. It's short enough that every single song delivers without it feeling too long. The way that the vocals are recessed on so many songs, drowned out by the noise and sound is great and adds a really great texture to it.

Oh, and Speaking In Tongues should've been on Welcome Oblivion.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post

Oh, and Speaking In Tongues should've been on Welcome Oblivion.
    Just been listening to that, I bloody love it. Did they ever play it live? I'm thinking not

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Just been listening to that, I bloody love it. Did they ever play it live? I'm thinking not
    I'm pretty sure they didn't, unfortunately. I've really hoped that someday there'd be a full-on US tour for HTDA, and hopefully they'd get to do a lot more, although I know if that ever did happen they'd be on a new album, with even more material competing for a slot in the setlist, so I doubt it'll happen at this point.

That rhythmic chanting at the end is just so incredible, the vocal harmony on the line "I am the end of it alllllllll" was one of the first times where I really felt like HTDA was a totally worthy and unique thing, not just a side project to me.

Not to mention it's one of the several songs that lyrically deals with spiritual/religious imagery and destruction (The Believers, And the Sky Began to Scream, etc.), and does it fabulously. It's always reminded me a whole lot of YZ, with "all my arms will stretch across the sky, and you will see the glory of it all" and "this is the place, this is the time, I am the end of it all" sounding so much like The Presence. I know that's probably unintentional, but it's something else to see the sort of ghosts of YZ's story pop up in different things from Trent ever since (Letting You, Satellite, etc.).

Oh and while I'm on more random thoughts and relating stuff to Year Zero, BBB always sounded like those lyrics could've been on YZ 2 had that been a thing. It has that whole "authority dominating the majority" aspect: "Get down, on the ground, Don't move, make a sound," "Listen to the sound of my big black boots." Always gives me flashes of the Survivalism video.

A lot of fans seem to totally rule out the possibility that anything is connected to YZ outside of YZ, but consciously or not I've always gotten the impression that there are a whole lot of nods and references to it ever since, and HTDA doesn't seem immune to it. I've really liked the thought of them continuing that universe through HTDA, it would be the first time I can think of where a concept album's universe went beyond one band and into another and would really magnify that scope and scale of the project that the ARG added to it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I'm pretty sure they didn't, unfortunately. I've really hoped that someday there'd be a full-on US tour for HTDA, and hopefully they'd get to do a lot more, although I know if that ever did happen they'd be on a new album, with even more material competing for a slot in the setlist, so I doubt it'll happen at this point.

That rhythmic chanting at the end is just so incredible, the vocal harmony on the line "I am the end of it alllllllll" was one of the first times where I really felt like HTDA was a totally worthy and unique thing, not just a side project to me.

Not to mention it's one of the several songs that lyrically deals with spiritual/religious imagery and destruction (The Believers, And the Sky Began to Scream, etc.), and does it fabulously. It's always reminded me a whole lot of YZ, with "all my arms will stretch across the sky, and you will see the glory of it all" and "this is the place, this is the time, I am the end of it all" sounding so much like The Presence. I know that's probably unintentional, but it's something else to see the sort of ghosts of YZ's story pop up in different things from Trent ever since (Letting You, Satellite, etc.).

Oh and while I'm on more random thoughts and relating stuff to Year Zero, BBB always sounded like those lyrics could've been on YZ 2 had that been a thing. It has that whole "authority dominating the majority" aspect: "Get down, on the ground, Don't move, make a sound," "Listen to the sound of my big black boots." Always gives me flashes of the Survivalism video.

A lot of fans seem to totally rule out the possibility that anything is connected to YZ outside of YZ, but consciously or not I've always gotten the impression that there are a whole lot of nods and references to it ever since, and HTDA doesn't seem immune to it. I've really liked the thought of them continuing that universe through HTDA, it would be the first time I can think of where a concept album's universe went beyond one band and into another and would really magnify that scope and scale of the project that the ARG added to it.
    its cool that you're enjoying it, but it's not connected

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    its cool that you're enjoying it, but it's not connected
    https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/sta...51592749465600

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Oh wow, thanks for that! I'd always thought I was just wrong or that it was unintentional, it's great to know there is some sort of intent behind it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I stand corrected, but I think it's just kind of thematic and not "universe" based. Like, I think HM is conceptually related to TDS

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    But HM is directly and intentionally tied to TDS.

I don't think what Rob is saying by "conceptual connections" is as definitive. It's more like HTDA is working with themes surrounding the end of times, not necessarily in the Year Zero universe. There would naturally be crossover in imagery and language.

Or whatever HTDA considers their main themes. I've forgotten what Q said. But my point is that there's just crossover because they're similar concepts. But not directly and intentionally tied.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Now that TR is shackle free from NIN touring, I wonder when an international HTDA tour will happen.
    Possibly not until a new album drops.