Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Cinema-Related Opinions

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Yep, I still want to fight just about everyone in this thread years later.

Also, every post Nolan DC movie is abysmal garbage except Wonder Woman.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Yes, batman vs superman and suicide squad were two of the worst films I have ever seen. But is that controversial?

I actually think the 89 batman has aged badly. Returns is the superior film... and apparently it's quite unpopular? The internet is an eye opener

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Been a little while, but have never enjoyed Returns. Michelle Pfeiffer is fantastic, but the film's focus is almost entirely on Penguin. Bruce hardly gets a look in, and with Penguin being portrayed as a grotesque with a love/hate relationship with the public, and some seriously ludicrous flights of fantasy, the film basically feels like Tim Burton is wanking over the screen for two hours. It makes me feel a bit queasy.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's absolutely that... It's almost false advertising to call it a batman film. I'm not sure whether it's because they're actually good or because I grew up with them, but pre mars attacks tim Burton films have an atmosphere I can really get lost in

Everything after that... either tepid or actually bad. Cringeworthy mall goth stuff

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Batman Returns is actually the best Batman movie there is.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    It's easily the best and funnest where it doesn't require thinking. Objectively I still think The Dark Knight is the pinnacle of all live action Batman films but Batman Returns is the shit. It's so dark with a lot of originality and enthusiasm. People hated the Penguin portrayal (not Devito) since it didn't match the rich kingpin crime lord but rather a scummy mutated freak who was literally raised by penguins. It was an awesome reimagining.

Also this is THE BEST Catwoman (and outfit) on screen appearance to me of any portrayal, even over Julie Newmar and Eartha Kitt. I HATE Hatahway's portrayal and outfit. She was easily one of the worst parts of The Dark Knight Rises.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    You can't really refute a bad comparison by making a bad comparison... peppa pig is for kids, bebop is for adults. Hulk and spiderman were not created for adults, were they?

I've read all the Frank Miller batman stuff - fair play that's not for kids. But we've never really got a faithful live action of any of them. Last spiderman I read was ultimate Spiderman about 13 years ago, Last hulks I read were planet hulk and world war hulk. Sorry but that stuff is for kids, or teenagers at most.

Ice haven, mox nox, black hole, the invisibles, spawn, the crow, Alan Moore books etc are what I would call adult fiction

I'm not saying it's morally wrong (although there is a whiff of protraction about it), I'm just a bit alienated by how huge and constant it is
    No, it isn't.

Spider-Man wasn't exactly created for adults, but neither was it for kids. It's target audience was mainly teenagers. Yep, the same age group that in the 90s gets into NIN and rock music.

And I guess you haven't read Kraven's Last Hunt, from the main Spider-Man storyline.

You have a point in that most movie adaptations are somewhat more chidish, as I said myself. But going all the way to say that the source material is just for kids is simply wrong.
    Last edited by Shunt; 05-10-2018 at 05:26 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Very well, I'm not totally ignorant regarding comics, but im no expert - and clearly you know better.

Nonetheless, even taking what you say into account... I only have to amend my point to say "why the overwhelming obsession with teen fiction" rather than "kid's fiction". The implication being the same (aren't we a bit old for all this).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    But as I pointed out, we still listen to The Downward Spiral or even better, Pretty Hate Machine, even if the feelings expressed there have more to do with teenage angst than with anything else. We still care for them as much as some people care for those superhero characters. It's good music even if it wasn't intended for a middle aged audience at the time, and ina similar way, those characters have been part of some good stories.

There's no denying there are people wanting to take advantage from those people by making one somewhat banal movie after the other, but that's not exactly the point.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    We do listen to those things, but not all day, and there isn't a mass media conveyor belt shovelling them out seemingly endlessly.

Nothing wrong with a guilty pleasure but the marvel dc thing is starting to feel like having a beer at 11am.

BUT! I am extremely miserable and dry, and yeah probably a little pompous

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I'm not saying we should only watch black and white French dramas and kill ourselves
    Well I am.

This is a perfect summary of my beliefs on art and cinema.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    If it doesn't have artificial eye on the spine, it goes in the bin

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Love this movie. My favorite Batman, for sure. It's a shame that Burton and Keaton left after this film as the franchise soon took a nose-dive.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Back to the Future III was a better movie than II (which I also enjoyed).

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    just watched through the trilogy again with my wife and parents.

i wouldn't necessarily say "better" but i would say they're both equally great. doc being the romantic lead is so unexpected and fun, mad dog is such a great villain, and the old west setting is wonderful. plus there's so many great gags that were built up to by the first two films, and the payoff is amazing.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    just watched through the trilogy again with my wife and parents.

i wouldn't necessarily say "better" but i would say they're both equally great. doc being the romantic lead is so unexpected and fun, mad dog is such a great villain, and the old west setting is wonderful. plus there's so many great gags that were built up to by the first two films, and the payoff is amazing.
    good GOD, I fucking adore those movies, 3 included. They were a couple of my first thrilling theater experiences

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I enjoyed Back to the Future II. I especially enjoyed the segment where they go to the alternative 1985, where Biff (based on Trump), runs Hill Valley. I thought the movie was good, but maybe a little jarring, it goes from 1985 to 2015, to alt. 1985 to 1955 and the story seems a little frantic. I prefer the straightforward, simple story of III (like the original, they just need to go back to 1985). I love the Western setting, loved Thomas Wilson as Mad Dog Buchanan (and found Griff Buchanan from II to be way over-the-top), and I liked Steenburgen's performance and romance with Doc, which I found to be sweet, if somewhat rushed.

Wasn't crazy about the ending, with the flying time machine train. Would have been better had Marty had just looked at the town records and read that Doc and Claire go married, had kids and lived out their lives in the past. Seemed odd for Doc to build yet another time machine considering he asked Marty to destroy the DeLorean.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Wasn't crazy about the ending

you mean you don't like seeing the kid on the right making that face and scratching his crotch with his finger?

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I thought I was the only one!

Look, I love all three. LOVE. Love love love. The first one is my favorite movie of all time and BTTF is my favorite trilogy of all time, so all the movies are great. But the first one is the best, followed by three, followed by two. While I love that they went super dark with the second one (not what you'd expect after the first movie) the third just felt so much closer in tone to that first one. It was fun and it had a sense of adventure, which was lacking in the second. To be those two fit so well together, the second, while great, is the odd one out of the bunch.

Wasn't crazy about the ending

You're dead to me.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    I thought I was the only one!

Look, I love all three. LOVE. Love love love. The first one is my favorite movie of all time and BTTF is my favorite trilogy of all time, so all the movies are great. But the first one is the best, followed by three, followed by two. While I love that they went super dark with the second one (not what you'd expect after the first movie) the third just felt so much closer in tone to that first one. It was fun and it had a sense of adventure, which was lacking in the second. To be those two fit so well together, the second, while great, is the odd one out of the bunch.

You're dead to me.
    Like I said, I would have ended it with Doc and Clara spending the rest of their days in the Old West, with maybe Doc sending another letter, telling Marty that the future was open and unwritten. Would have been less fantastic and more somber, but a better ending, IMHO. Also, I think Crispen Glover's absence from II and III sort of hurt those movies. They did a good job, the best they could, working around him, but they would have been better with his involvement. Glover playing Shamus instead of Fox would have been preferable. Fun fact: Ronald Reagan was approached to play the part of the Hill Valley mayor in Back to the Future III.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Yep, I still want to fight just about everyone in this thread years later.

Also, every post Nolan DC movie is abysmal garbage except Wonder Woman.
    I...liked BvS? I didn't know I wasn't supposed to like it till I read the internet.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    “Martha”

Really? That’s how you wrote that?! Surely this among the abundance of this film’s flaws will be universally ridiculed. Let me just look...

Oh god. No. No! NOOOOOOOOOOO
    Last edited by Swykk; 07-26-2018 at 07:53 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    WB should have gone all in on Snyder's vision for the Superman arc. They half-assed it and everyone suffers.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The last good Superman movie was Superman II. But even III and IV were better than Returns and MOS.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Superman Returns is very underrated, actually.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I mean Batman vs Superman damn sure wasn't GREAT. But I didn't hate it.
    I thought Man of Steel and Return were alright too.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Superman Returns is very underrated, actually.
    Same here. In fact, it reminded me of why I loved those first 2 Superman movies. I still would've love to see what Tim Burton and Nicolas Cage would've done with Superman Lives.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I like Man of Steel and the ultimate cut of BvS. They are much better than Wonder Woman which I sincerely don't know what the fuss is about. DCEU should've kept it's dark and serious tone, I loved it. Justice League and SS are horrible. WW is cool and I feel Aquaman is gonna be equally as cool. But I still prefer the first two. Cavil is perfect as Superman and he loves the character so much. I heard he's working hard to get a MOS sequel and he certainly deserves it. One of the coolest actors out there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Bvs is in my top 5 with American History x, Into the wild, Intouchables, who flew over the cuckoo's nest

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I really hate This Is Us AKA the cheesiest, most maudlin show on tv. Mandy Moore is average looking and a very unimpressive actress. That woman who plays Kate is as big as a house. Holy smokes!! I never cared for Milo either even when he was on Heroes. He just seems like a Stallone wannabe.