Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Hot Chili Peppers

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Are you okay?
    I'm thinking they don't actually like music, based on past posting.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Don't feed the Helpmeiaminhell. How many times must we say it accross the internet!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Some (not all) of those solo records are pretty wonderful. Definitely not coasting on past glories.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I'm thinking they don't actually like music, based on past posting.
    I think their early stuff like Freaky Styley and Uplift Mofo Party Plan had some cool shit on there....And I also think everything over the past 20 years has been godawful....And for the John fan boys out there, read up on the River Phoenix story and what really went down that night. You will see your hero in a whole new light and realize I am not just talking shit.

Cliffs notes version....John boy and River were on a 3 day heroin and crack binge. John boy and River went to the Viper Room to party. River went to the bathroom to do some more smack (accompanied by Flea who fired the needle in Rivers arm). John boy poured a lethal dose of a heroin cocaine speedball in Rivers drink (without River knowing about it) River comes back to the table and downs the drink. River starts convulsing. Joaquin wanted to call the paramedics. John boy stopped him and said "don't ruin his high".....Finally they called paramedics and it was too late. River died that night. John boy apparently told people he was going to kill himself if the cops came after him so Johnny Depp convinced people to lie to the cops and say they had no clue if anyone gave or did any drugs with River.....Ironically 2 members of RHCP played a big part in Rivers demise...River Phoenix is one of my favorite actors so yeah its a bit of a touchy subject for me.....Hypothetically, if Manson poured Trent a lethal cocktail of a heroin/coke speedball without TR knowing about it and TR downed the drink and died from it, I wonder how people would view Manson?
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 12-15-2019 at 10:00 PM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I think their early stuff like Freaky Styley and Uplift Mofo Party Plan had some cool shit on there....And I also think everything over the past 20 years has been godawful....And for the John fan boys out there, read up on the River Phoenix story and what really went down that night. You will see your hero in a whole new light and realize I am not just talking shit.

Cliffs notes version....John boy and River were on a 3 day heroin and crack binge. John boy and River went to the Viper Room to party. River went to the bathroom to do some more smack (accompanied by Flea who fired the needle in Rivers arm). John boy poured a lethal dose of a heroin cocaine speedball in Rivers drink (without River knowing about it) River comes back to the table and downs the drink. River starts convulsing. Joaquin wanted to call the paramedics. John boy stopped him and said "don't ruin his high".....Finally they called paramedics and it was too late. River died that night. John boy apparently told people he was going to kill himself if the cops came after him so Johnny Depp convinced people to lie to the cops and say they had no clue if anyone gave or did any drugs with River.....Ironically 2 members of RHCP played a big part in Rivers demise...River Phoenix is one of my favorite actors so yeah its a bit of a touchy subject for me.....Hypothetically, if Manson poured Trent a lethal cocktail of a heroin/coke speedball without TR knowing about it and TR downed the drink and died from it, I wonder how people would view Manson?
    I'm not impugning what you are saying at all but where does your information come from? I've never heard any of this & I follow news about Frusciante somewhat.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    It's a mixture of accountings from Bob Forrest and Samantha Mathis.
    @Helpmeiaminhell Thanks for your contributions. Post about music or drop it.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    It's a mixture of accountings from Bob Forrest and Samantha Mathis.
    @Helpmeiaminhell Thanks for your contributions. Post about music or drop it.
    thanks for the info. impossible to keep up with everything these days. on a musical front, i'm quite excited to see frusciante come back to more of a mainstream setting. he's an amazing musician.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    How long until he gets fed up and leaves again though?
    His previuos stint with the band lasted almost 10 years. Are you anxious to see him gone again?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This is good news. The other guy was... not my thing.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Interesting development. Didn't think this was ever going to happen. Last I heard he gave up the guitar to make electronic music for his ghost buddies in the 4th dimension.

Will they perform any music from the two Josh albums? Will they go back to Rick Rubin?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Last I heard he gave up the guitar to make electronic music for his ghost buddies in the 4th dimension.
    same

in other news, I guess I'm an RHCP fan again.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Good overview of what John has been doing for the past 10 years.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/...ante-catch-up/

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    All this news made me go back to "To Record Only Water for Ten Days" (One of my favorite album titles ever) and it still fucking hits. Ramparts man..... Ramparts.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Wake me up when Navarro is invited back

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Wake me up when Navarro is invited back
    He absolutely should have been inducted into the HOF with the band. OHM had several hit songs and that album was pretty big, circa 1995/1996.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again; One Hot Minute is the best Chili Peppers’ record. You’ve got sturdy mainstream hits (Aeroplane, My Friends), heavy riffing (Warped, One Hot Minute), the best Cobain tribute ever penned (Tearjerker), the best River Phoenix tribute ever penned (Transcending), cool quirky songs (Walkabout, Falling Into Grace), cheap/cheerful novelty (Pea), and the single most underrated track in RHCP’s catalogue (Shallow Be Thy Game). It’s a perfectly imperfect record for a perfectly imperfect band. Also highlighted by Navarro’s amazing range of playing, Flea’s peak prime slapping, and Anthony’s best lyrics. I liked Californication a lot too...but nothing will top this. Their complete insistence on putting this era under the carpet is baffling. It’s not like it was Navarro who cooked up River’s speedball..

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again; One Hot Minute is the best Chili Peppers’ record. You’ve got sturdy mainstream hits (Aeroplane, My Friends), heavy riffing (Warped, One Hot Minute), the best Cobain tribute ever penned (Tearjerker), the best River Phoenix tribute ever penned (Transcending), cool quirky songs (Walkabout, Falling Into Grace), cheap/cheerful novelty (Pea), and the single most underrated track in RHCP’s catalogue (Shallow Be Thy Game). It’s a perfectly imperfect record for a perfectly imperfect band. Also highlighted by Navarro’s amazing range of playing, Flea’s peak prime slapping, and Anthony’s best lyrics. I liked Californication a lot too...but nothing will top this. Their complete insistence on putting this era under the carpet is baffling. It’s not like it was Navarro who cooked up River’s speedball..
    I completely agree.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    All this news made me go back to "To Record Only Water for Ten Days" (One of my favorite album titles ever) and it still fucking hits. Ramparts man..... Ramparts.
    Album is so good.

I haven't seen RHCP live before, but now I will. Probably twice.

Hopefully JF does solo shows in the near future... After this latest news, I think that's surely just as possible.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaro View Post
    Album is so good.

I haven't seen RHCP live before, but now I will. Probably twice.

Hopefully JF does solo shows in the near future... After this latest news, I think that's surely just as possible.
    Neglected this album for a decent amount of time; very refreshing to revisit it.

I had a chance to see them during the Arcadium days, but had a lot going on at the time. I'll be trying to see them sure once something materializes, and a solo from JF would be grand.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Am I the only one that wasn’t that into Stadium Arcadium? Album was pretty big for them but I didn’t care for a lot of it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    no, you're not. a better way to ask that question is "anyone else not into...."

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    In my opinion SA was lame because of how it was mixed. Drums turned down and the vocals turned up all as loud as possible. I have been listening to a lot of SA instrumentals on YouTube. Once you take out Anthony a more exciting and interesting record reveals it self. All of John's guitar tracks from that record are available as well and there as so many cool layers and sounds that would have made interesting center points to a number of the songs.

The true gems of that record are that it does feel like a band playing; there are songs where you can feel the tempo speed up and down, and there are many wonderful guitaring layers and harmonies.

Don't get me started about the terrible job that was done engineering and mastering the Californication record. The drums on a lot of those tracks sound like they were converted to a 128kbps mp3 file. The entire thing has zero dynamic range. I find it nearly impossible to listen to that record.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again; One Hot Minute is the best Chili Peppers’ record.
    It’s my favourite and I agree with all the highlights you raise. Friends of mine who are more into RHCP threaten to punch me when I express this opinion.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    RHCP is very appealing to the mainstream mind; they are just dangerous and edgy and alternative enough for people to feel cool about listening to them. A lot of their fans seem to subscribe to the whole “music should always be fun” and “I like all genres of music” sentiments. One Hot Minute got people out of their comfort zone (with songs about drugs, depression, god, death, and suicide). Navarro helped the band channel something more dark/real/authentic and fortunately they kept their tube socks at home during this era. So I’ve found that the more superficial types of RHCP fans actually hate this album.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    add me to the "one hot minute is their best" squad.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenSpiral View Post
    Am I the only one that wasn’t that into Stadium Arcadium? Album was pretty big for them but I didn’t care for a lot of it.
    there's too much of it. it doesn't hold up to being a double like "fragile". there are some brilliant moments on it though. my favorite is still "by the way". i was just listening to a tape from vegas 2005. it was the 100th bday of vegas & it was a big, free show. they were on fire! i think that year they only did a few one off shows so the road weary hadn't set in.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    RHCP is very appealing to the mainstream mind; they are just dangerous and edgy and alternative enough for people to feel cool about listening to them. A lot of their fans seem to subscribe to the whole “music should always be fun” and “I like all genres of music” sentiments. One Hot Minute got people out of their comfort zone (with songs about drugs, depression, god, death, and suicide). Navarro helped the band channel something more dark/real/authentic and fortunately they kept their tube socks at home during this era. So I’ve found that the more superficial types of RHCP fans actually hate this album.
    They used to have an edge that appealed to skaters/punks/metal fans and OHM kind of brought that edge back so all the 'Under The Bridge' and 'Give It Away' mainstream fans ran for the hills.....Unfortunately instead of staying down that edgy path, they chose to embrace the mainstream and have been a boring U2/Coldplay safe stadium rock band since 1999. Any edge they used to have is long gone. Seems like they have slipped into Korn territory where they have a fanbase that loves them and everyone else thinks they are the worst piece of shit band in existence and loves to diss them (Nick Cave, Mike Patton, Henry Rollins etc)....I used to be a fan and only liked when they played the punk infused funk and always hated when they slipped into ballad mode. OHM is the last good album they have released. Everything post 1996 is utter shit

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I liked a lot of Californication. But after the 20th century I moved on

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    They used to have an edge that appealed to skaters/punks/metal fans and OHM kind of brought that edge back so all the 'Under The Bridge' and 'Give It Away' mainstream fans ran for the hills.....Unfortunately instead of staying down that edgy path, they chose to embrace the mainstream and have been a boring U2/Coldplay safe stadium rock band since 1999. Any edge they used to have is long gone. Seems like they have slipped into Korn territory where they have a fanbase that loves them and everyone else thinks they are the worst piece of shit band in existence and loves to diss them (Nick Cave, Mike Patton, Henry Rollins etc)....I used to be a fan and only liked when they played the punk infused funk and always hated when they slipped into ballad mode. OHM is the last good album they have released. Everything post 1996 is utter shit
    I'd say I agree 100% with this post top to bottom but they do have a few moments post 1996 that are great. Very few and fleeting.

I am also in the One Hot Minute is the best album camp. I love Navarro's guitar work and seeing him go from Jane's to RHCP was radical. I think Dave is a better guitarist than John Frusciante in my books.

Weeeeeee

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    To each their own. I'd take boring-ass post-1999 safe stadium rock RHCP over their 80s stuff any day. I consider their first three albums pretty much unlistenable.