Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Comics!!!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I don't know if I've posted in this thread, but two years ago there was a significant kindle sale on marvel collections (like literally 90-95% off) that allowed me to overcome the "diving in the deep end" feeling of trying to get into comics. Also being digital helped overcome significant organizational anxieties. You don't have to worry about the condition of the issue, keeping track of your place and finding a way to store it. Since then I've read a lot of comics. That sale let me get my feet wet on X-Men, Thor, Black Panther, Deadpool, and others. I branched out later and dug deeper than I had on Batman and also read a bunch of Power Rangers comics which are weirdly, very good.

But ultimately I haven't been as satisfied with anything as I have with X-Men. Jumping around that timeline, hugely out of order, across decades, filling in the blanks, discovering new characters.

Last year I chose to experience HoX/PoX and Dawn of X as they were being released, which was a very new experience, but ultimately found that I like reading the stories after they are complete. Reading them as they were released was hard on my reading comprehension and on my wallet... Easier on my patience, though. I like being a part of the conversation with those stories. But that while collection can be had digitally now for a third of the price, and Marvel Unlimited uploads comics 6 months after release and that's all on their as part of the subscription too. Definitely won't do that again.

Right now I'm reading the 2005 X-Factor, which is really cool, has a lot of great art featuring interesting lighting. It prompted me to reread House of M, one of the first comic books I read on that sale (maybe literally the second) and it was really awesome coming back to that story with a more rounded knowledge of all the characters and events before and after. That story is still one of the best I think, still better than HoX/PoX too.... While HoX/PoX is trippy it has maybe less to say, and in it's lack of directness, has fewer character moments and is a lot more of a guy punch.

I do love the Krakoa paradigm in X-Books right now. I love the aesthetic and the both HoxPoX stories are filled with interesting challenges and ideas, I know that comics normally back off from these sorts of radical changes but I hope this one sticks.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Checking the individual issues listed for that release (from the Amazon page), it's a pretty good list... but missing some issues that I'd consider part of the list (like, Blink 1-4)

I compiled it using this and this (getting me up to 121 issues and I've collected about 100 of them so far).
    Holy cow, you are right about Blink, should be there, but isn't included.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The Blink series is included in the 'Companion' to the AoA omnibus, along with the two issues of X-Men Chronicles and X-Universe, plus subsequent AoA oneshots and minis. Personally, I find that the Blink series doesn't gel very well with the original arc - in which she is one of standout characters - and I'd happily omit it from my AoA list. The X-Men Chronicles issues supply key parts of the original story, so no question about leaving those out. The X-Universe titles - if I remember correctly - were not handled by the X-office, and feel a bit like a vehicle for shoehorning other Marvel characters into the AoA, but the events do tie into aspects of the main arc quite nicely, so they do no harm at least. The 'Tales from the AoA' oneshots aren't bad, but personally I would not try to integrate them into the main arc - better to read them afterwards (though that's how I originally read them so of course I'd say that). The subsequent minis are probably best ignored. IMO you can't really go wrong by sticking with just the eight core series, Chronicles and Universe, Alpha and Omega. Obviously read Legionquest first.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I should mention why I'm doing this...

Back in the day, my wife had the fancy cover TPB editions but she sold them in the early 2000s... and so I figured I'd pick up all the single issues as a present of sorts. She had no idea about any of the stuff since then and is happy and curious to see how it all unfolds. I've never read the series, I had stopped collecting a few years before Legionquest started. So I'm curious as well... I don't mind the X's.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Sweet! It was my first big 'event', and really blew me away at the time, so my perspective on it is a bit skewed!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

These arrived safe and sound...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I couldn't help myself... I ordered a bunch more.

Now I'll just be missing one issue from that massive Age of Apocalypse set... they didn't have in stock. ONE FUCKING ISSUE!

Not angry or upset, just in disbelief that it'll almost be done.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    ...and I just found a "What If" issue related to the AoA story.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    ...and I just found a "What If" issue related to the AoA story.
    Oh yeah, "What if Legion killed Magneto?", i have that one

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Oh yeah, "What if Legion killed Magneto?", i have that one
    No, I mean "What If... The Age Of Apocalypse Had Not Ended" ... but yeah, now I want that one as well. Even comes before the other one... (issues 77 and 81 respectively)
    Last edited by MrLobster; 05-25-2020 at 01:59 PM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    No, I mean "What If... The Age Of Apocalypse Had Not Ended" ... but yeah, now I want that one as well. Even comes before the other one... (issues 77 and 81 respectively)
    Oh yeah, i forgot about the other one, i just had the "Legion" one

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Oh yeah, i forgot about the other one, i just had the "Legion" one
    Since I'm trying a for full set, may as well incorporate these as well...

Oh, if I'm really lucky, I'll be done my McFarlane hunt next month... assuming the few remaining issues don't cost too too much.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    *wakes up from a nap*
    *checks email*
    Oh, that last AoA issue from my wish list is available... *YOINK*

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    There's just over two days left to back the latest volume of the NIN anthology comic series on Kickstarter. I've backed all of the previous volumes and have been very happy with the final product.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ne-inch-nails/

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Gonna be pretty interesting to see how that shakes out.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

*call

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I wonder about the reception Lobo would get, would it be released today und not in the 90s. He's Not quite the PC type.

I'm halfway through The Incal und it's probably the wildest thing I've ever read. So much creativity on every page!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I want to get back into comics...I don't know if I can do physical..

..I want to get into DC since I favored Marvel more growing up...

Is the DC Universe subscription worth it?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    Is the DC Universe subscription worth it?
    I suppose it depends on how much of a deep dive you want to do... if you anticipate reading a whole bunch, may as well do it.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    looking at it, it seems they have some exclusive shows and animation not on HBO Max..

hmm...that alone may sell me on it.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I wonder about the reception Lobo would get, would it be released today und not in the 90s. He's Not quite the PC type.
    About as well as Howard the Duck.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    A big shipment of comics arrived today. Now I'm at 121 of 125 of that Age of Apocalypse mega collection... and the other four are en route and should be here by the end of the month. Daaaamn. McFarlane issues also arrived today, and that completes the 1-17 of Spider-Man (and those two X-Force crossover issues) and 6 more Amazing Spider-Man to go (also all en route... I think, maybe missing one). 6 issues of Spawn to go and then I have 1-25 (maybe if I actually like the series re-reading it I may collect more). Had the pleasure of cracking open a CGC case to get at one of the Amazing Spider-Man issues as well... (9.2 grade). Heh.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    That AoA collection is coming along nicely. I had a ton of them back in the 90's, I was only 10-12 years old so didn't understand the full depth of it but remember REALLY liking that storyline. did you collect the Batman Macfarlane stuff too?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    That AoA collection is coming along nicely. I had a ton of them back in the 90's, I was only 10-12 years old so didn't understand the full depth of it but remember REALLY liking that storyline.
    My wife wanted to re-read the story and only had the 90s trade editions of the story, so as an anniversary present I quested to grab them... and then we found there's AoA stuff in the past 20 years as well, so... may as well go big, right? When she's done reading them all, I'll give it a go... never read it before but I'm down with the mutants. (another year I bought her series 1, 2 and 3 of the collectible cards)

did you collect the Batman Macfarlane stuff too?
    No. The main reason I'm collecting this Marvel stuff is maybe help resolve a trauma loop (I had had a bunch of them back in the 90s and they were taken from me), but I'm aiming for all of the McFarlane Marvel stuff from the 80s and into the early-ish 90s (Daredevil, Incredible Hulk, Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Man) and then the first 25 of Spawn. We'll see what happens after that.
    Last edited by MrLobster; 06-10-2020 at 10:36 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    that's awesome that you and your wife share that bond!!

understanding why you're collecting- highly respected too. Spawn was a fun series! I was collecting the trades at one point...I think I read everything up to around issue 75 or so. good stuff.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I bit the bullet, ordered some books.
    -The Watchmen
    -Batman Killing Joke
    -Batman Year One
    -Batman Hush
    -Batman the Dark Knight Returns

all of which I haven't read. can't wait for them to come.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Finally picked up some new comics yesterday, including a few variant covers of the Joker 80th anniversary 100pg issue. Was fun to read, pumped that comics are back, despite DC being shitty with the whole Diamond situation.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    My next orders:
    Harleen- DC black label hardcover
    Joker- DC black label
    Batman- The Long Halloween
    Batman- Arkham Asylum (being released on June 30th )
    V for Vendetta
    Saga of the Swamp Thing Book 1
    Preacher book 1
    Batman: The Complete Animated Series blu ray
    Batman Beyond complete series blu ray

all set for summer!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The Batman DC Rebirth hardcover deluxe editions are on sale through Amazon so just starting into Book 2. Admittedly through the insane amount of Bat-comics I buy on a monthly basis...before this I haven't begun the actual main Batman storyline! It's up to something like issue 95 now so I've got a ton of catching up to do.

Oh and next week, the one-shot from Lemire and Sorrentino (of Gideon Falls fame) have their one-shot Batman: Smile Killer dropping, and I can't wait.