Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

The Beatles

Coming to Blu-ray and DVD May 29th.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Oh Man!!!! Finally! A new high-definition release. I love that movie. I hope it has some damn good extras. Yet, I still thing a DVD/Blu-Ray release for Magical Mystery Tour and Let It Be will never come out. The former because there was never a master print and the picture quality of the film (though still looks good) hasn't aged well. The latter is more likely to come out once Paul and Ringo both kick the bucket.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yellow Submarine was my favorite movie as a child. I haven't seen it in years. If the blu-ray has some nice new stuff I might have to pick it up!

"I feel like an old, splintered drumstick."

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    once Paul and Ringo both kick the bucket.
    so what you're saying is, it'll never come out.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I still thing a DVD/Blu-Ray release for Magical Mystery Tour and Let It Be will never come out. The former because there was never a master print and the picture quality of the film (though still looks good) hasn't aged well. The latter is more likely to come out once Paul and Ringo both kick the bucket.
    Apple Corps has apparently finished restoring both movies. It's all just down to marketing them.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    so what you're saying is, it'll never come out.
    There's been rumors into why Let It Be won't be out due to personal issues about the film and the stuff in the film. It was really about protecting the Beatles brand name. After hearing about a possible DVD/Blu-Ray release, maybe it will come out after all.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    McCartney's Ram Deluxe Edition: Who else is drooling?

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/?p=7187

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    That's a lot of stuff McCartney is putting into that album. Yet, it's one of his better solo albums from the 1970s.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Pre-ordered! (Yes, the big five-disc set)... I am pretty excited! This is the fourth deluxe McCartney Archives reissue I've bought but only the first physical box set — there is exclusive content, after all — mostly it's all about DAT MONO MIX.
    Last edited by botley; 05-11-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Never heard of em.... They sound kinda dated!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Fuck, the RAM box was expensive... but GODDAMN is it good. Amazing photos, memorabilia, videos, the 24bit audio sounds fucking great and OMYGAWD DAT MONO MIX.

I may go see Yellow Submarine on the big screen tomorrow night downtown, anybody else?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    From the Random NIN Crap thread:

[...]

At least one thing remains constant. Paul McCartney visited a few years ago and promptly touched the piano that has a giant sign above saying DO NOT TOUCH.

-------------------

EDIT: OH JESUS CHRIST, HE RESTORED THE DAMNED THING!!!!

Wow. Sir Paul rocks.

With 100 patrons of Motown Museum in attendance, guests had the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to hear Paul McCartney share with the audience why he was moved to support the restoration of this piano—one of the many instruments that helped create the legendary Motown Sound—following a visit to Motown Museum in July 2011, saying “We were wandering around Studio A inside Motown Museum, when I saw this piano I thought, I can’t come to Motown and not tinker on it. Once I realized it was unplayable, I called Steinway & Sons and they also realized…this piano was part of a major moment in history. And, now people in the future will record on it and keep the legacy of Motown alive.”

He also shared his personal appreciation for Motown and its musical influence.

“Growing up in Liverpool as little kids we started to get a feel for American music,” said McCartney. “And, suddenly it all changed—there was this sound we never heard before. So we bought the records like everyone else, we learned them.” McCartney said jokingly.

He continued, “When I went to Detroit last year, for me the Museum was such a special place where this music was made. If you are in Detroit you must go and see it—its history—that’s what it is.” Motown founder Berry Gordy spoke about the lasting cultural influence and social impact of Motown, the upcoming, highly anticipated opening of Motown: The Musical on Broadway in spring 2013 and the vital role and bright future of Motown Museum—as the physical space where the celebrated Motown legacy and its artifacts are protected and preserved to inspire future generations. He also told a story about the day he heard The Beatles wanted to use three Motown songs on one of their albums.

“That was the day Motown truly went international thanks to The Beatles,” said Gordy. “It is amazing to me how music continues to bring people together. Paul and I grew up thousands of miles apart and here we are united in music.”

Gordy continued, “I am so proud to stand next to you tonight,” he said to McCartney. “You are a dear friend who was the catalyst for this evening because of your love and appreciation of Motown.”

Paul McCartney and Berry Gordy unveiled the piano together by removing a covering with the Steinway & Sons emblem, with Paul McCartney saying to Berry Gordy, “I think you should kick it off, it’s your piano.”

Following the unveiling, the two musical icons together played an electrifying rendition of Motown’s 1959 first hit record “Money (That’s What I Want)” written by Berry Gordy that was subsequently covered by The Beatles. Berry Gordy started the song and then graciously asked Paul McCartney to take over. Paul McCartney then continued his performance by playing “My Valentine” followed by “Lady Madonna” and “Hey Jude.”
    Last edited by allegro; 10-19-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Speaking of restorations, I got the Magical Mystery Tour box set for my birthday. It's nice! Looks and sounds great

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I woke up singing "all you need is love..."

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    OH!!!! I love that movie. I know people will say A Hard Day's Night is the better film but I much prefer Help! It's just sillier and has some better songs.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Beatles

am I the only Beatles fan on the planet who loves Honey Pie? I sing it in the shower!
    Last edited by allegro; 09-28-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    am I the only Beatles fan on the planet who loves Honey Pie? I sing it in the shower!
    I feel the same way about "The Continuing story of Bungalow Bill"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Worth a watch

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I feel the same way about "The Continuing story of Bungalow Bill"
    I love that song, too!

I'm REALLY looking forward to the Freda movie.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-01-2013 at 10:32 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Paul plays concert in Queens High School auditorium, probably the single coolest thing a rock star has ever done that isn't classified as NSFW.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Paul's NEW album has leaked. I also enjoyed the 6-track sampler that were released before, too.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    just caught the free times square show. found out about 12:30, work a block from where he played. walked over, got a great spot, and heard four songs from the new album. two were pretty good, one was decent, and the last was pretty bad, but hey. really enjoyed seeing a legend up close and personal, even if he DID write 'wonderful christmastime...'

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/new-mw0002578565

4.5/5 stars

Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

At its quietest moments, 2007's Memory Almost Full played like a coda to Paul McCartney's illustrious career; he seemed comfortable residing in the final act of his legend, happy to reflect and riff upon his achievements. Such measured meditation is largely absent from 2013's New, the first collection of original material he's released since 2007. New lives up to its title, finding McCartney eager, even anxious, to engage with modern music while simultaneously laying claim to the candied, intricate psychedelia of latter-day Beatles. Five decades into his career, reinvention isn't expected from McCartney, so the shock arrives in the avenues Paul chooses to follow and, here, he's enthusiastically embracing modernism and pop art. He brings in Mark Ronson, the producer best-known for hits by Amy Winehouse and Lily Allen, to add a bit of modern snazz, but sharp guy that he is, McCartney knows that contemporary pop albums are created by a fleet of producers, so Paul Epworth, a collaborator of Adele, Foster the People, and Florence & the Machine, is hired along with Ethan Johns (a veteran of Kings of Leon and Laura Marling) and Giles Martin (the son of Beatles producer George Martin), each enlisted to give New a crisp, clean sheen. There are a lot of cooks in the kitchen but the chef is undoubtedly McCartney, with every song -- from the kaleidoscopic title track to the delicate folk of "Hosanna" and the pounding, overstuffed "I Can Bet" -- bearing his unmistakable stamp. From the moment it opens with the insistent, propulsive "Save Us," this is a bright, vivid pop album, robust with color and so confident in its swagger that its assurance is almost distracting. Macca is determined to dazzle: not only are the melodies bold but the production is over-saturated so his pop pops in a way it hasn't in years, not since the days when a Top 40 single was a genuine possibility. Paul isn't chasing a hit single but rather embracing pop as a vital, vivacious life force, which makes the presence of "Early Days" all the more baffling. A stark acoustic recounting of the dawn of the Beatles, McCartney seems uncharacteristically defensive here as he wonders how anybody who wasn't in Hamburg could possibly tell tales of the Fab's origins, strangely tone-deaf to how he and his band have turned into myth. But that unwillingness to accept his role in history books also gives New its nerve, letting McCartney create music that is thoroughly within his lineage but cleverly modern, eschewing nostalgia for a vibrant present. That's why New is one of the best of McCartney's latter-day records: it is aware of his legacy but not beholden to it even as it builds upon it.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Digging into this right now!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I LOVED the Beatles as a kid. I sort of ignored them as a teenager on, and now at 32 I'm getting into them again. I'm really digging their experimental works like St. Peppers and The White Album. Of course, there's a lot of nostalgia in their pop singles.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    A Hard Day's Night to be released on Blu-ray by The Criterion Collection

DIRECTOR-APPROVED EDITION:

New 4K digital film restoration, approved by director Richard Lester, with two audio options—a monaural soundtrack and a new 5.1 surround soundtrack made by Apple Records—presented in uncompressed monaural and DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
    Audio commentary featuring various members of the film’s cast and crew
    In Their Own Voices, a new piece combining interviews with the Beatles from 1964 with behind-the-scenes footage and photos
    You Can’t Do That: The Making of “A Hard Day’s Night,” a 1994 documentary program by producer Walter Shenson
    Things They Said Today, a 2002 documentary about the film featuring Lester, music producer George Martin, writer Alun Owen, cinematographer Gilbert Taylor,
    and others
    New piece about Lester’s early work, featuring a new audio interview with the director
    The Running Jumping and Standing Still Film(1959), Lester’s Oscar-nominated short featuring Peter Sellers and Spike Milligan
    Anatomy of a Style, a new piece on Lester’s approach to editing
    New interview with Mark Lewisohn, author of Tune In: The Beatles: All These Years—Volume One
    Deleted scene
    Trailers
    One Blu-ray and two DVDs, with all content available in both formats
    PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Howard Hampton
    More!
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 06-13-2014 at 08:36 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I'm going to get that as a belated Father Day's gift for my dad.