Page 194 of 527 FirstFirst ... 94 144 184 192 193 194 195 196 204 244 294 ... LastLast
Results 5,791 to 5,820 of 15809

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    It still occurred to me how Broken, The Downward Spiral and The Fragile will always be in chronological and alphabetical order on an iPod, with the Left side also making it before the Right side from The Fragile. I've also noticed the same exact thing for With Teeth and Year Zero and how the Live part of And All That Could Have Been also happens to take place before the Still part too.

Oh, and whenever I have a crush or fantasy of a romantic and intimate relationship, The Only Time immediately plays in my mind. It's always been that way with me for quite a while. Pardon me, I'm just dreaming and fantasizing about relationships again, which ties in with this particular random NIN thought anyway.

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-02-2014 at 12:39 PM. Reason: To keep it in one post.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    It still occurred to me how Broken, The Downward Spiral and The Fragile will always be in chronological and alphabetical order on an iPod, with the Left side also making it before the Right side from The Fragile. I've also noticed the same exact thing for With Teeth and Year Zero and the Live part of And All That Could Have Been also happens to take place before the still part too.
    Never thought about it that way, but very cool. Too bad Pretty Hate Machine starts with a "P." In my mind, all the endings and beginnings of each album (that are in sequence, albeit) fit pretty well together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    long time lurker -- thought i'd share with everyone my groomsman cake from my recent wedding:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm a little frustrated by the fact the every single time I pre-order something from nin.com it shows up a good time AFTER the release date. Good hell. Does that seem backwards to anybody else? I know I know, what a little impatient bitch I am. 3rd world problems.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwt View Post
    long time lurker -- thought i'd share with everyone my groomsman cake from my recent wedding:
    I like how it reminds of Ghosts I-IV. Some cakes remind me of The Fragile. This just also reminded me that most Nine Inch Nails album covers sometimes get me thinking of food. Here's a few examples, and well, while totally random NIN thought, I guess it might as well go in this thread, since that's what it's about it. This is only one of the few places where I can openly admit something like this anyway.

Pretty Hate Machine - gelatin, gummy candy, jelly beans
    Broken - pizza, spaghetti
    The Downward Spiral - tortilla chips, tacos, burritos, bean dip
    The Fragile - steak, red wine, iced tea, sushi, cake
    And All That Could Have Been (Live) - coffee, iced cofee
    With Teeth - chocolate mint, green tea

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    I'm a little frustrated by the fact the every single time I pre-order something from nin.com it shows up a good time AFTER the release date. Good hell. Does that seem backwards to anybody else?
    That's also one of my biggest qualms and concerns whenever it came to pre-ordering anything. It's why I usually prefer to wait a few days or a week after something comes out. And yes, that's very backwards.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 02-05-2015 at 11:46 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    I'm a little frustrated by the fact the every single time I pre-order something from nin.com it shows up a good time AFTER the release date. Good hell. Does that seem backwards to anybody else? I know I know, what a little impatient bitch I am. 3rd world problems.
    From modlife, at least as of last year: "We're not supposed to ship them till street date"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I like how it reminds of Ghosts I-IV. Some cakes remind me of The Fragile. This just also reminded me that most Nine Inch Nails album covers sometimes get me thinking of food.
    The Fragile's cover, at least the right side always makes me think of beer in a pint glass with the NIN logo disappearing in the foam on the top.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Whoa, November is almost over, and I still didn't really comment on my 12th year as a Nine Inch Nails fan coming to a close. It sure did, as I became a fan in the middle of November of 2002. ETS was either a few days old, or a few days prior to opening up when I became a fan. I at least caught on with The NIN Hotline back then though, because I was reading The Meathead Perspective on a regular basis. I didn't really check out and join ETS until 2004, for those of you that didn't know. And well, as if I also needed any more excuses and reasons to listen to Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, The Downward Spiral and The Fragile again. I also still remember the exact order that I got into those albums as well.

1. The Downward Spiral
    2. The Fragile
    3. Broken
    4. Pretty Hate Machine
    Cheers to your first 12 years and the many more dozen years to follow.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinata89 View Post
    Never thought about it that way, but very cool. Too bad Pretty Hate Machine starts with a "P." In my mind, all the endings and beginnings of each album (that are in sequence, albeit) fit pretty well together.
    Being the anal person I am, my NIN playlists are broken down by album with the halo number prefixed to keep them in chronological order.

Quote Originally Posted by mwt View Post

God, I need that cake … sigh. Brownies with salted caramel will have to do.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    My birthday is in a couple of days. I would like to have a piece of that cake.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I've always liked the idea of an official and verified Trent Reznor page on Facebook, but I suppose he's always seemed to prefer Twitter far more. I'm also a bit surprised that wasn't ever a thing, until he expressed his reasons for not really being into Facebook all that much. Anyway, I just still thought that following an official Trent Reznor page would've been something I would've enjoyed, especially if it was exactly like how Al Jourgensen had his own Facebook page.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-05-2014 at 04:32 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    i'm watching "the gift" again, and as lovely as it is, i would really like to have a fixed camera angle version...you know, so you can see everything going on on the led walls the whole time.
    does anyone have such a thing?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    What did Trent use to create the "hammer synth" patch that starts the song "That's What I Get"?

I read that it came from something like a steel drum keyboard preset or something... Please don't tell me it's from his Moog lol... I would find it hard to believe that a Moog could make that sound unless it was layered with more notes and frequencies and maybe sampled and played back with his Mirage...

This has been a curiosity to me for so long I'm just dying to know how Trent got that patch/sound.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    When I saw this I couldn't help thinking, "Hmm, future NIN concert venue?"

Apple spending $161 million to build a theater at new headquarters

Not (yet) a NIN Spotting, but (theoretically) not just Apple related, so … Random Maybe-NIN Thought.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    What did Trent use to create the "hammer synth" patch that starts the song "That's What I Get"?

I read that it came from something like a steel drum keyboard preset or something... Please don't tell me it's from his Moog lol... I would find it hard to believe that a Moog could make that sound unless it was layered with more notes and frequencies and maybe sampled and played back with his Mirage...

This has been a curiosity to me for so long I'm just dying to know how Trent got that patch/sound.
    I found a synth sound in Garageband that is very close to it. It also sounds suspiciously like the bass during live versions of Happiness in Slavery.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 12-08-2014 at 12:00 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    From modlife, at least as of last year: "We're not supposed to ship them till street date"
    I guess I understand that. But my order still hasn't shipped. Maybe they wait an entire month after the release date just to be sure it doesn't somehow arrive before they are "supposed" to ship it. I mean you know USPS, those guys are fucking good!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I happened to catch like 3 minutes of Tomb Raider the other day. Never watched it before and saw Iain Glen from Game of Thrones was the main villain so i got sucked in. Ended up hate watching the whole thing. So why Tomb Raider??? I think 'Deep' is a really good song. The stepping stone from The Fragile to With Teeth, in a certain way to me. But again, why Tomb Raider, of all movies to give that song to? Has it ever been explained?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    ^^
    Presumably, TR is/was a fan Tomb Raider game series

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    I happened to catch like 3 minutes of Tomb Raider the other day. Never watched it before and saw Iain Glen from Game of Thrones was the main villain so i got sucked in. Ended up hate watching the whole thing. So why Tomb Raider??? I think 'Deep' is a really good song. The stepping stone from The Fragile to With Teeth, in a certain way to me. But again, why Tomb Raider, of all movies to give that song to? Has it ever been explained?
    money and a leftover song? who knows. may as well throw in "Burn" for NBK while you're at it.

definitely is the start of the WT songwriting, though, as you say. fit perfectly on that tour when it debuted next to "Not So Pretty Now" and other WT stuff. the only other missed opportunity that would have fit nicely was "Where is Everybody?" but that was probably tough on his breathing (plus how the hell would he get the solo done properly without Belew? this is a missed opportunity from having Belew in the band, among all the other cool things that could have happened).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    money and a leftover song? who knows. may as well throw in "Burn" for NBK while you're at it.

definitely is the start of the WT songwriting, though, as you say. fit perfectly on that tour when it debuted next to "Not So Pretty Now" and other WT stuff. the only other missed opportunity that would have fit nicely was "Where is Everybody?" but that was probably tough on his breathing (plus how the hell would he get the solo done properly without Belew? this is a missed opportunity from having Belew in the band, among all the other cool things that could have happened).
    But at least with NBK, he had something to do with the soundtrack. It just seems so random to me. But yes, mustve been money.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Burn was a new song specifically written for soundtrack (I think as a contractual obligation).
    Deep is more likely a leftover song (possibly from pre-Still post-Fragile abandoned sessions). Doesn't seem to have anything to do with WT since it's written even before the rehab. And WT wasn't started until 2003 or so. (I do acknowledge sonic similarities though).

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Doesn't seem to have anything to do with WT since it's written even before the rehab. And WT wasn't started until 2003 or so. (I do acknowledge sonic similarities though).
    Yeah I think the association with With_Teeth has less to do with the actual album, and more to do with its sound, the step it represents in NIN's evolution. I don't know the context of its inception, but it does fit nicely between The Fragile and WT, musically. Comparatively, The Perfect Drug comes completely out of left field, neither here nor there.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    The Perfect Drug comes completely out of left field, neither here nor there.
    i dunno, the coda sounds exactly like the quiet moments on The Fragile. the rest of it doesn't sound super similar to TDS but it does bear some of its burden: drugs and lust play some sort of part in TDS, and big guitars and catchy choruses are part of the songwriting. it's just the weirdly happy chord choices that make it un-TDS.

it's some sort of cousin to both "I Do Not Want This" (drum fuckery / distortion / big chorus) and "And All That Could Have Been" (quiet, cold, chorusy guitars / forlorn longing vocal / even the guitar-only bridge harkens back to the TPD chorus style) is what i am trying to say. one foot in each door.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    i dunno, the coda sounds exactly like the quiet moments on The Fragile. the rest of it doesn't sound super similar to TDS but it does bear some of its burden: drugs and lust play some sort of part in TDS, and big guitars and catchy choruses are part of the songwriting. it's just the weirdly happy chord choices that make it un-TDS.
    I was only speaking musically. When it comes to themes, one could say that roughly the entirety of NIN's discography has something to do with drugs/addiction of some sort. And musically, Reznor has rarely strayed too far from a pop or rock structure, focusing more on how to render or twist those fundamentals, rather than reinvent them. But the obvious Jungle influences on TPD make it a wild card among the rest, there's nothing quite like it, although now that I think of it, Starfuckers stands out sonically in a similar manner...

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I'd wish my iPhone would auto-correct "NIN" with the second N backwards.

Especially now with TR being an Apple "employee" (or whatever his actual title/employment is with them).

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinbeetle View Post
    In This Moment do a, shall I say, interesting, cover of Closer. I can honestly say I only know a couple songs by them just from listening to Octane on Sirius, and they aren't all that bad. This one though...

I must be the only person who thought this wasn't horrible? I mean, its not my cup of tea but I think they did something interesting with it, and everyone ragging on her singing seems to be missing the point? I'm not gonna check out the band, but still -- that was a B effort.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Hey I just realized something,NIN with Soundgarden.......you know the same band that had the person who made Scream? the one that trent loved so much? I wonder if Chris ever played that just to see if trent reacted

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    Hey I just realized something,NIN with Soundgarden.......you know the same band that had the person who made Scream? the one that trent loved so much? I wonder if Chris ever played that just to see if trent reacted
    ^
    ^
    ^
    <------------- mind blown

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I fully accept that when Trent says something is coming "soon", there's a good chance that it will never see the light of day. Is it upsetting? Of course, but I'm happy to get anything that he actually does put out, and everything that gets dropped has a reason for it. I've been waiting for promised music and DVDs for years, but everything that has come out in their stead has been amazing and worth waiting for (remember when we were promised Bleed Through and were treated to Year Zero instead?).

So let's take it easy on the poor man, he's got his fingers in a lot of pies.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Prowler View Post
    remember when we were promised Bleed Through and were treated to Year Zero instead?
    Bleed Through was the original title for what became With Teeth.