Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: BioShock

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: BioShock

Not nearly as good as Shaq Fu. Best game ever.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Blazed through 1999 mode without using the Dollar machines, managed to snag all but a few of the remaining achievements...not as hard as I had anticipated (only died about 7 times total). The trick is to not buy a lot and save the money you burn up when dying. And yeah, Charge with a powerful shotgun is pretty fuckin' OP lol.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Not nearly as good as Shaq Fu. Best game ever.
    There is a sequel to shaq fu coming out btw

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    finished it on normal. loved it. found the last big fight teeth grindingly annoying.. don't know if I want to go back and try 1999 mode just yet...
    also.. Yahtzee liked it. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...Shock-Infinite

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Yeah, that last battle was a bit too much of an easy way out for a great game. Spoiler: I really hate sections like this and wished for something more dynamic or even cutscene heavy, meaning something with an actual flow that forces you to various sections of the airship. Personally I simply remained where the game put me and blasted each and everyone from there while having to look around only a bit in order to get Songboard at the right targets. Well, that last bit was disaspointing but all the revelations that follow more than made up for it.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    finished it on normal. loved it. found the last big fight teeth grindingly annoying.. don't know if I want to go back and try 1999 mode just yet...
    If you can make it past the "siren" fights on 1999 mode, the ending should not a problem at all. For the last battle, you just need a decent/average/meh strategy. Spoiler: If you have a few hundred dollars you can make it even easier. equip the Undertow (use the quick ability to blast any of the regular guys off the boat) and use lightning to stun the George Washington guys while you shoot/melee them in the back. Keep sending songbird after the airships and even if you take your time you should be fine.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 04-11-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Just finished the ending. Still waiting for after the credits. My mind is....wow. That was a heavy ending. I can't fucking wait to see it all again. But not until after finals. This thing's been enough of a distraction, and I'm glad I finally got through my first playthrough.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

EDIT!!!

It "could" have spoilers. I didn't watch the whole thing.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    That was fucking awesome.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Crazy...apparently the ambient background music in Infinite sped up 1000% is actually singing?

Also....equally crazy.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Wow! And I totally overlooked the beach boys. Honestly didn't pay much mind to the quartet in the beginning. Granted, I'm not the most enlightened on their discography. But, also, is "god only knows" also that song they play in the basement?

Edit:

Dammit. I might have to replay it again, heh
    Last edited by Piko; 04-12-2013 at 03:04 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Had this bought for me yesterday, love it a lot so far. Couple of things that are annoying: the camera centres a little too low on enemies when you melee them so I find myself constantly tilting it back up during battle, the shield regeneration visual effect is a bit distracting... And of course the checkpoints.

I read somewhere that allegedly that was put in place so that your decisions in-game would have more weight (essentially no back-tracking) but given that checkpoints rarely even seem to happen after said big decisions, I don't see that as true. As someone who gets most of their gaming in before the afternoon shift or around 9-10 pm before going to bed early for the morning shift the next day, it's kind of a pain to have to keep playing until I hit a checkpoint. It renders it even more irritating when you accidentally use the wrong ability and lose salts, or just accidentally hit the left-trigger, forgetting it's not the aim button. Eh. It'd be nice if the developers read all the bitching and changed it but I seriously doubt that's going to happen. If they really did do it to make decisions more meaningful, tt just would've been nice to have the option to save whenever in order to partially preserve their ~artistic vision~. I'm the sort of gamer who decides the path I'm going to take and rolls with it, even if I don't like the results.

Couldn't they have done it the way it was with, say, Borderlands? Cued autosaves, but exiting saves your progress and you start up at the nearest spawn point?

But whatever. Love the setting and how bright and cheerful everything looks compared to the first two games where the colours were super saturated but everything felt incredibly dark and claustrophobic. I also appreciate them including the sounds that appear with HUD notifications from the other games; it is essentially its own beast, but with little touches like that it still feels very much a part of the series.

Edit: Also if your console goes offline and the system date gets reset, either make sure to go online like immediately before you start playing or be prepared to spend ages deleting loads of auto save files from your hard drive just to leave the right one there to load. I thought I'd lost my progress because I assumed autosaves would, you know, overwrite a single, unified save file (since you can't choose a save file to load). As it turns out the game is set to store every single checkpoint save on your hard drive so you can fix things if it comes to it. Seems pretty silly and unnecessary to have so many save files clogging things up, though. Eh. I'm just trying not to let how clunky and stupid this whole thing is piss me off too much to enjoy the game.
    Last edited by Hula; 04-12-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I think the saves are more of a way to replay areas/chapters. So if I want to restart from a particular point, you will be able to. I was able to watch the ending a few times because of that, thankfully. I kinda wish there were more autosave points. But, I didn't have too much of a problem about it.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Elizabeth makes a cameo on Ren and Stimpy's classic episode of Powdered Toastman?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Oh my sweet lord...

In case anyone was curious, a guy mixed an uploaded a version of "Beast" from the studio and acoustic version, so it sounds more like the version used in the trailer. So fucking glad they used Nico Vega for this. I'm really digging them so far.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    So Irrational's sound designer says it's backwards talking/singing of verses from Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet" that he deconstructed and put in with guitars, etc. Pretty interesting stuff.

Article.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just finished it.

..............................................wow.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

So, I'm considering getting a chain tattoo on one of my wrists. I'd get it on both wrists, but I already have one on the other. Wouldn't mind a few Bioshock related tattoos. Maybe even a Tonic.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    So, I'm considering getting a chain tattoo on one of my wrists. I'd get it on both wrists, but I already have one on the other. Wouldn't mind a few Bioshock related tattoos. Maybe even a Tonic.
    I was thinking about getting the same. I've been playin with the idea for about a year or so, just need to wait until I have some money and free time for another tattoo.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'd actually stay away from the wrist chain, as it's been done to death...I've seen countless pictures online. Perhaps a logo from one of the Plasmids/Vigors? I'd go Murder of Crows, but something like this would be cool:

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I think it would look kinda weird though since it'd only be one wrist. If I didn't already have the other one, I'd probably get it on both. I know I want something. Preferably something rapture related. But not just anything either. If I were to get a vigor, I'd probably get one of a bottle. Not sure of which one. Crows wouldn't be a bad one though.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    While of course I wouldn't have the text in there, etc. perhaps something like this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just finished this, and I have to say I loved every bit of the ending. Definitely more satisfying than the originals ending to me; I hated the last few hours of the first Bioshock gameplay wise, and storywise to some extent. This one nailed it in my opinion. That last chunk of story was extremely well done.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Murder of Crows is my favorite Vigor design and power overall. The bottle rocks. Though I must admit my favorite vigors to use were definitely Bucking Bronco and Undertow.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I found I didn't use Vigors that much outside of the heavy hitters. Shock Jockey or Bucking Bronco were a must, particularly when it came to the Patriots, Firemen and Zealots––they were essentially the only things that stopped them in their tracks long enough to shoot them without getting slaughtered. Other Vigors were either only useful in passing or helped to change the monotony of using the same ability over and over again.

In the first two games, if you didn't use Plasmids you were screwed. While I feel like it would have made Infinite more difficult to avoid Vigors in combat, it wouldn't have been impossible (at least not on medium difficulty).

Actually, on the subject of combat––was anyone else immensely grateful that the majority of enemies in Infinite don't all rush you at the same time? It made such a refreshing change to be able to pick them off at your own pace, apart from the occasional interruption by an enemy with a melee weapon or the heavy hitters spamming you with their abilities. The fact that splicers used to relentlessly rush at you was probably one of my least favourite aspects of BioShock gameplay so it was nice to see that change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I felt the combat overall was greatly improved over Bioshock, the openness of the environments, the variety of enemies, the skyrails. I loved it. The shooting felt so much better too. The vigors were kinda underused for me, I stuck mainly with the fire, shock, and crows for the most part, only switching to undertow during the last few battles. I only used the other ones when i misclicked the hotkeys and accidentally equipped them, used them for a bit then went back to my original setup and forgot about them.

I hated the Handymen, on Hard they were just bullet sponges that could gap-close to you in seconds and ended up making the fight turn into running turn shoot once or twice, run, repeat, for way too long.

I was hoping for more skyrail battles, with you and the enemies riding along it fighting. I only ended up seeing a few enemies use them over the course of my playthrough, and if I jumped on after them they always seemed to jump right off.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    So if I load a checkpoint (even though I've beat every chapter) what does that mean for my entire chapter select and save file inventory? I wanna do some achievements by loading a chapter and I'm unsure if I should attempt.

HALP!?
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 04-18-2013 at 08:22 AM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I think you go back to what inventory you had at that point.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I think you go back to what inventory you had at that point.
    Ugh, rather not do that. Looks like I'll do new game + and try on a harder difficulty, though that'll make the Handyman achievement I'm going for more difficult.

This game is amazingly wonderful but the save system, chapter select and overall scope of progress in your game is really terribly done.