Page 80 of 137 FirstFirst ... 30 70 78 79 80 81 82 90 130 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,400 of 4092

Thread: The Marvel Thread - Multiverses and other Shenanigans

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I tend to stay away from youtube reviews of any superhero movie (and star wars), especially if they have a female/black protag. It usually ends up in a rant about why it sucks to them (and by extension should suck for everyone and your wrong for liking it) how Marvel suck and DC are good or how DC suck and Marvel are good...it's all pretty childish.

I did find it weird how whose demanding to boycott the film are claiming victory as they stopped it having an even better opening weekend....riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, sure. Just let people enjoy the film FFS.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I did find that RLM video to be a nice recap of all the Captain Marvel controversy which I never really cared about and my takeaway from this is basically both "sides" here are really embarrassing in this case. I get the jist of what Brie Larson is trying to say, but she seems completely disingenuous saying it and most of her clips in this video are complete cringe fest. But the people who are trying so hard for this movie to fail, just because of it are just sad. Also they are doing a really good job at it Captain Marvel having like the sixth biggest opening for a movie ever or something.
    Last edited by telee.kom; 03-12-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I think, the first half of that RL video is worth seeing for their discussion about woman in movies and critics as "old white dudes" etc., because I, too, fail to see the "relevance" that seemingly everbody is projecting onto movies like this (like Black Panther or even non-Marvel stuff like the Ghostbuster remake). To me, those movies are generic blockbuster flicks that have nothing to say, really. Everyone likes a dumb action movie from time to time, but why pretend being "woke" for enjoying kids movies? Yet, an intelligent sci-fi movie like Annihilation - with an almost all female cast and a strong subject matter - gets criminally overlooked. I don't get it.
    This video was weaksauce!
    And I usually like RLM, I've been following them since forever (I remember the very first episode of Half in the Bag... back when they had women in their group!), but I'm baffled that Mike argues for an even more generic version of the movie (as far as the linear storytelling goes), I don't know what he was thinking! That really made it feel like he was just nitpicking for no reason.
    And to complain that Captain Marvel is being shoehorned into the MCU right before Endgame also sounds a bit hollow, because Marvel's been literally doing this for years, introducing new characters between the main movies, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange... that's literally what they've been doing this whole time. Always.

(Sidenote: you are right though, the first half of the video was a pretty good recap.)

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I do think captain Marvel did a good job of being inclusive... Probably it's strongest metric, but I think feminism is done injustice by not demanding that women headline better movies than Wonder Woman or Captain Marvel, Black superheros need stronger movies than Black Panther, and I think that one was really good. Both still could have reached stronger levels of story telling and to some extent spectacle. And consistency of course, it needs to happen regularly enough that it's not a watermark to just put out a representational superhero movie. As I finally dig into actual comics, I'm struck by the number of female characters front and center in the X-Men series, it's not like that as much in the movies... The diversity is a lot more whole in those books.

The incels crowd does to some extent push me into seeing movies like this. They have to lose and I'll put money on an average marvel movie to help that happen... Even if I still can't make it all the way through Thor 2, and probably wouldn't bother with Dr. Strange again.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I already know to never ever click on that video.

153 million domestically. 500 global.

You failed, doofy fanboys/incels/MRAs. As usual.
    You should watch. One of them liked the movie, one was kinda eh. These guys are pretty smart film lovers and small time filmmakers. They know their stuff. They aren't shitty right wingers just crapping on the movie.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    The incels crowd does to some extent push me into seeing movies like this. They have to lose and I'll put money on an average marvel movie to help that happen... Even if I still can't make it all the way through Thor 2, and probably wouldn't bother with Dr. Strange again.
    I agree with Thor 2 but i really enjoyed Dr Strange (i am a fan of the character though so my opinion is slightly biased)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I'm all for getting better female/black led comic book movies, but it is worth remembering that these have all been 'origin' films, and they are almost always the most difficult to make great (Iron Man, GotG and the original Spider-man being the exceptions) Thor, Captain America, Ant-Man all had OK to meh origin films. Hell even Batman Begins wasn't as great as it could have been. Point is we're past the difficult introduction with them, so we can expect their respective sequels to be able to let their hair down and WOW us.

I'd also like them to introduce the diverse cast of characters now, because we are going to run out of white male characters that can sell a film alot sooner if they don't! I don't think Captain Britain and Iron Lad are going to cut it!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    All the drama aside, I was disappointed with the movie. I find it tonally really weird, it didn't feel like phase 3 MCU movie to me at all. Almost all attempts at humor or levity (except scenes between Fury and Flerken) fell flat and maybe that's why the movie seemed overly serious and dramatic which is probably my biggest gripe. It failed so hard to be like GOTG with their last fight scene playing Garbage song in the background I audibly gasped in the theater. I also don't know what they even attempted with that Nirvana song towards to end, but that was just horrible. Also I don't know what to think of Brie as Captain Marvel. I don't know if it was the writing or her acting, she seemed really off. I guess she was trying to be sarcastic/snarky, but it was just too much. The whole movie I was waiting for her facade to go off and to show her real character, but that point never really came. So I guess this is really her whole persona? That's disappointing. But maybe that's because she didn't really have any real low point in the movie, I'm hoping she will be developed more in later movies.

Overall the best part of the movie was Brie's white NIN tee which is serious contender for my favorite Brie Larson's outfit, which to this day was her white tank top from Skull Island.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I absolutely loved every chance Ben Mendelsohn has to just be himself behind all that makeup. It was the weirdest thing, seeing what seemed to be a completely natural acting job under all that disguise. Every scene he had as the Skrull was great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I absolutely loved every chance Ben Mendelsohn has to just be himself behind all that makeup. It was the weirdest thing, seeing what seemed to be a completely natural acting job under all that disguise. Every scene he had as the Skrull was great.
    It was pretty cool that he got to keep his Aussie accent. When he first spoke I just thought his American accent was really bad.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    SPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILER

I like how we got the backstory of how the tessaract got to earth, and into SHIELD's hands.

Also, I really hope Marvel realizes & uses the potential they have now that Skrulls have been introduced into the universe. There's alot of fun/misdirection they can employ with them.

Question for those that also saw it: If the Skrulls knew they needed to convince Danvers of her true backstory, as well as needing her for their survival against the Kree...then why were they trying to take her out once they were all on Earth initially? Plot hole, or am I forgetting something?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    SPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILER

I like how we got the backstory of how the tessaract got to earth, and into SHIELD's hands.

Also, I really hope Marvel realizes & uses the potential they have now that Skrulls have been introduced into the universe. There's alot of fun/misdirection they can employ with them.

Question for those that also saw it: If the Skrulls knew they needed to convince Danvers of her true backstory, as well as needing her for their survival against the Kree...then why were they trying to take her out once they were all on Earth initially? Plot hole, or am I forgetting something?
    From what i remember the Skrulls didn't intentionally 'need' Danvers, just what was in her head (and they were just as confused with it as she was) it wasn't until they (and danvers) learned Mar-Vel had died that they needed her on their side...i think?

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Whatever it takes

What? No, I’m not getting misty eyed at work.

Last edited by Swykk; 03-14-2019 at 09:00 AM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    sdiofhgioihjasgrjklasdfasdgjkl;gnl;wknhjeral;jtrwe opajiopwetjweopajtawoijiojerarojiga

I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS MOVIE.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Gonna be great. One thing I noticed is how much they're focusing on Tony Stark being trapped in space alone to die...until you see the one shot of them in the white spacesuits together towards the end and he's with them haha...

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    OH...now that was a damn good trailer! And it still gives VERY LITTLE away, using clips from the previous films very effectively.

Difficult not to be hyped for this!

EDIT : OK why wasn't this played before Captain Marvel? That only came out a week ago!
    Last edited by Haysey_Draws; 03-14-2019 at 09:14 AM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    OH...now that was a damn good trailer! And it still gives VERY LITTLE away, using clips from the previous films very effectively.

Difficult not to be hyped for this!

EDIT : OK why wasn't this played before Captain Marvel? That only came out a week ago!
    There hadn't been any official looks showing that Captain Marvel came back to Earth to answer the pager until Captain Marvel came out.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Ah, good point!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The one scene that truly broke my heart was the one showing Hawkeye teaching his daughter archery. My poor, poor Clint.

Who else noticed that the ones who are heard saying "whatever it takes" are 4 of the original Avengers, Steve being the first and Tony being the last? Hmm....

"I like this one." ANOTHER!!!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Lots of people reacting online to the "I like this one" line with wanting a Captain Marvel and Thor team up movie...i can definitely get behind that!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Captain Marvel/Thor/Goose road trip. We can dream.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Captain Marvel/Thor/Goose road trip. We can dream.
    Don't forget Rabbit.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I figured that was Kate Bishop, not his daughter

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I figured that was Kate Bishop, not his daughter
    It could be but if you look in the background of the scene, you can see what looks like a picnic table and 3 other persons. I figured they were his two sons and his wife.

Yes, that's how obsessively I'm watching that trailer.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    This news makes me SO happy. I'm glad they came to their senses and did the right thing. He never deserved to be fired.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    GOD. DAMN. RIGHT.

Shouldn’t have happened in the first place.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    The only bad news here is that we’ll likely have to wait until May or July of 2023 since he’s doing The Suicide Squad first, which comes out in 2021.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    WE ARE GROOT!

I am so incredibly happy. I'm happy for all of us fans but I am really happy for Gunn too. GOTG is what it is because of him.

And I can't wait to see what he'll do with Suicide Squad!