Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    "We'll see you again."

Perfect ending.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, that's all I guess!

Thank you everyone for making this such a fun thread. Now we wait till the next touring cycle...

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Now that the tour is over, what does everyone think the best and worst setlists of the tour were?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Now that the tour is over, what does everyone think the best and worst setlists of the tour were?
    Honestly, tonight's was one of the weakest.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Vegas 2 was the best for me, closely followed by Brooklyn 2 and Chicago 2.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madisondisco View Post
    Honestly, tonight's was one of the weakest.
    While I would agree with this general sentiment, the energy from the band and crowed were the best at show #6 IMO.

ALSO I don’t really care because I got welcome oblivion and BCD -> Afraid of Americans so now my neck is sore as fuck.

but seriously now - I could find something to nitpick about any of the set lists I’ve had over 6 LA shows. But taken TOGETHER its been an incredible experience that I doubt any band will ever top.

This 6 show set was better than my 6 Wave Goodbye shows (which included Fonda and Wiltern!). I NEVER thought I’d say that!
    Last edited by TheRealNs1; 12-16-2018 at 02:23 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I got to go to five shows this time around. I usually only get to make one show, maybe two, a year. Each one provided me with something unique and memorable. Of course, for me Chicago 26th will remain the one that counts the most. I wanted "Sin" more than I knew I did. And the one thing I never, ever, ever thought I'd get, to the point of never bothering to think to put it in my dream setlist because I didn't want to admit how much I needed to hear it live, was debuted that night. The energy, my spot on the rail, the crowd, the waiting in line all day with the fucking fantastic people out there with me were all a part of why that one stands out the most to me. But had I been unable to see all the shows I saw, each one was fantastic in its own way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    This 6 show set was better than my 6 Wave Goodbye shows (which included Fonda and Wiltern!). I NEVER thought I’d say that!
    Do you really mean that? Maybe after the immediacy wears off you'll want to reconsider. I'm thinking apples and oranges, as we have every reason to believe we will see this reformulated NIN continue to exist post-CBI, but WG was just other-worldly in terms of the setlists (ESPECIALLY Wiltern*), the energy, and the sheer uncertainty about the future. I had a much more emotional experience at the '09 Aragon shows than I did this year. Neither edition was 'better' than the other; just different.

* Wiltern, which so many of us were not fortunate enough to have attended, is one of the most curiously amazing concert experiences of my life, and that was sitting at my laptop through the middle of the night clicking refresh on the show thread in the old NIN.com forum, just to see what they might come up with next.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I just looked through all the sets.

Top 3 sets (in my opinion) are:
    New Orleans night 3 - Nov 25
    Chicago night 2 - Oct 26
    Vegas night 2 - Dec 1

The weakest ones are:
    Memphis - Sept 24
    Nashville - Sept 29
    Vegas 1 - Nov 30
    LA6 - Dec 15

The Best of the LA's for me would be LA4. But There were better sets on the rest of the tour. I know LA3 was close to Vegas 2 being a "flashback from the past" night of old songs, but Vegas wins points for having The Perfect Drug in the set.

Other noteable sets this tour were:
    Arizona night 1 - Open the tour with Broken
    Red Rocks - Night 1 - The live debut of The Perfect Drug.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 12-16-2018 at 02:45 AM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)

A post shared by on

A post shared by on

I seriously cannot handle this. I now know it was a Bowie nod, but still.
    Last edited by Sarah K; 12-16-2018 at 03:06 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I cannot believe the griping and complaints. The last set is over the top amazing. I mean it was longer than usual, Mike in there again, HDTA (not a single bad track from them - I mean HDTA is essentially NIN with Mariqueen anyway). Why on earth are people disappointed?! I would be flipping out if I would have been there.

I have two kids. When we buy them too many toys, go out to eat too often, this is how they start acting. Complaining about everything. So we stop getting them stuff until they are grateful again.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzburbank View Post
    Do you really mean that? Maybe after the immediacy wears off you'll want to reconsider. I'm thinking apples and oranges, as we have every reason to believe we will see this reformulated NIN continue to exist post-CBI, but WG was just other-worldly in terms of the setlists (ESPECIALLY Wiltern*), the energy, and the sheer uncertainty about the future. I had a much more emotional experience at the '09 Aragon shows than I did this year. Neither edition was 'better' than the other; just different.

* Wiltern, which so many of us were not fortunate enough to have attended, is one of the most curiously amazing concert experiences of my life, and that was sitting at my laptop through the middle of the night clicking refresh on the show thread in the old NIN.com forum, just to see what they might come up with next.
    6pc NIN > 4 pc NIN + wider range in set list variation. I got way more songs in 2018 than I did in 2009.

i thought Sin 2009 was shit for instance. But Sin 2018 was fucking amazing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Forgot how fun the pit is and happy that’s where I spent these last 2 shows. Finally achieved my teenage dream of being in it, soaked, dancing to TPD and The Big Come Down \m/

In regards to L.A.: night 3> night 2>night 5(?)> the rest
    Last edited by Miss.Selfdestruct; 12-16-2018 at 03:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    tonight was anticlimactic after having seen multiple nights from this run. BUT the encore was great.

i saw 5/6. LA3,4,5 were interchangeably best for different reasons (throwback, diversity, guests).

thank goodness for big come down in the main set. that full broken tease to start was pretty rough esp since i was hoping on another HIS

wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else but given how the shows turned out, LA1 was a total warmup and ended up fully repeated throughout the run besides one of the htda tracks and home. but at the time i loved it. i could go on alternating my complaints or praises but just gonna leave it that the middle nights were mind blowing but tonight had amazing encore.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I cannot believe the griping and complaints. The last set is over the top amazing. I mean it was longer than usual, Mike in there again, HDTA (not a single bad track from them - I mean HDTA is essentially NIN with Mariqueen anyway). Why on earth are people disappointed?! I would be flipping out if I would have been there.

I have two kids. When we buy them too many toys, go out to eat too often, this is how they start acting. Complaining about everything. So we stop getting them stuff until they are grateful again.
    NIN has stopped touring. What else do you want us to do? Let us compare hattori hanzo swords for a bit.

My bottom line is each LA show was enjoyable and each one had something for me. I hope NIN does multi-night shows like this again next time.
    Last edited by TheRealNs1; 12-16-2018 at 03:49 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    All I know is, for someone who wasn't at the other shows here in LA, this was quite the enjoyable setlist. People were very energetic (I have never seen that many crowd surfers) and everyone seems to have had a good time plus my friends got RubenVision on FB so they got to be there in a way. I had fun and it was an excellent way to end my Cold and Black and Infinite tour.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Also wanted to say I thought Garson’s placement tonight after the encore was way better than yesterday, and in general sounded better.

Goddamn I want to see TGD with lasers again, cuz that shit was hot fire. Anyone know what company was responsible for the prettty lights?
    Last edited by TheRealNs1; 12-16-2018 at 04:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Really glad I splurged on a last minute ticket to tonight’s show. Its always worth the trip to see the band put on a show but the icing on the cake was getting to see TPD since they didn’t play it at the first Palladium show. Wish we could’ve gotten Starfuckers but such is the NIN set wishlist life.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    One of these tours i'll get to see a show with La Mer...one of these tours!

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Looking at tour stats, I'm pretty fucking happy with what we got at Red Rocks.
    Before those shows, I felt like I NEEDED to see NIN again, like I had missed something.
    Now, I don't. I WANT to see them again pretty fucking badly and will be at every red rocks show from here on out (health permitting,) but between the TDS shows I caught in the 90s, Fragility 2.0, LITS and the INCREDIBLE set lists from this year, I feel like the shows I see down the road are like icing on the cake.

This tour was fucking incredible. It was for US, you know? How many casual fans are aware of Home? AATCHB? How many knew that TPD had never been played?

Thank you, @teitan .

Also, I wonder if NIN will continue just playing WHATEVER THE FUCK from here on out? Perhaps this is something they will become known for.
    I certainly hope so!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I saw 9 shows this tour (2x Vegas back in June, 4x NYC, 3x NOLA) and I'm just blown away with this cycle. Of course, it was great to hear all those amazing rarities but what really made it fun was unpredictability. I'm beginning to realize that the shows that really won me over were the ones that I just couldn't tell what was coming next, regardless of the actual songs played.

-I think New Orleans #3 was my favourite. It was a weirdly paced, totally unpredictable setlist with a bunch of my favourite deep cuts (Last, I Do Not Want This, The Big Come Down) and of course I got to hear my all time favourite song, AATCHB, which in some weird way, was the main reason I kept attending NIN shows after all these years, just hoping they would end up playing it. It was a wonderful way to end this cycle for me. I thought it sounded better than the Chicago recording I had heard and I really, really hope it sticks around for the next cycle.

-The Bad Witch songs are all mindblowing live. Perhaps we're not getting hyped up as much because there is no nostalgia involved, but honestly I was never tired of hearing these tracks, especially when they played them back to back. I guess it also helps that it's my personal favourite album since Year Zero.

-I can't imagine The Perfect Drug leaving setlists anytime soon. I saw it 3 or 4 times and every night it was one of the songs that got the strongest reaction from the casual crowd, right up there with HLAH, THTF and Hurt. It is epic, it sounds great, it's both a deep cut and a crowd pleaser.

-I understand why they keep playing HLAH and THTF, people genuinely love these songs, but after 39 shows, I was just really happy whenever they didn't play them. Starfuckers got a good reaction and even though it's not a song I really love, it was still a lot of fun to hear it live for the first time. It was pretty much the last non-rarity I hadn't heard live yet. Only is also a good THTF replacement. I used to be really sick of it after the With Teeth and LITS tours, but the new arrangement with pre-recorded drums is really cool. Finally, they omitted HLAH a few times, ending with Wish instead and that's also a very welcome change. I'm somehow still looking forward to Wish...!

-As far as performance goes, the band is at it's peak right now. Which is something I have said several times in the past, but I do think they've outdone themselves. Ilan is awesome and obviously the inclusion of most of the rare songs they are playing has to do with his multi-tasking abilities. Trent hasn't sounded that good in a long time. I remember his voice was strained for pretty much the entire 2008-2009 touring cycle, to see him that great a decade later is a fucking relief. I don't give a shit that he is not screaming anymore, let Robin handle that and keep touring for as long as possible!

All in all, this cycle went far beyond the expectations I had when I first bought tickets. Back in 2017, I flew around a lot for those festival shows and I kind of regretted it as the sets were all so similar... to the point that I almost decided to sit this one out. I'm so glad I went!
    Looking forward to whatever's coming next.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    While I don't like being vindictive, I'll admit I take a perverse pleasure in how disappointed all the "Trent got Yoko'd" goofs in attendance must have been getting all that sweet HTDA.

I, like everyone, was hoping for something big from the last show but it was still one hell of a last stand for thr tour it appears. I definitely wish personally a few LA dates could be swapped out for something in the PNW i could've feasibly caught but I'm sure things were planned the way they were for good reasons (likely financial, which is more than fair).

But goddamn, I don't wanna be greedy but I hope we get more shows soonish. But if this recent foray into left field we've seen with Bad Witch and stuff like that reworked In This Twilight are any indicator I might be even more eager for more music at the moment. Maybe next time there's a tour I'll have a bit more income to justify throwing at traveling for more than one show (or ideally, there'll be multiple PNW dates i can just drive to). It's old news to many vets here, but the electricity of that first Phoenix date was very much like a drug I'd been starved of since Tension 2013 and I'm hungry for more, but if the choices are new music or refreshing setlist.fm for months to see what's getting played I probably take the new music.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash512 View Post
    It was a wonderful way to end this cycle for me. I thought it sounded better than the Chicago recording I had heard and I really, really hope it sticks around for the next cycle.
    Hah, I was thinking the opposite. That the version in Chicago sounded so much better than the recording in New Orleans, or anywhere else. I have a feeling it's a song that works so much better live than it does on the recordings floating around.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    If someone is calling Mariqueen “Yoko”, their opinion is shit and doesn’t matter. Just want to put that out there since it was mentioned.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mostlymad View Post
    Hah, I was thinking the opposite. That the version in Chicago sounded so much better than the recording in New Orleans, or anywhere else. I have a feeling it's a song that works so much better live than it does on the recordings floating around.
    The Chicago version sounds slightly under-rehearsed and the song got better and better as the tour went on.
    -Trent's singing was off in Chicago during the "I know you tried to rescue me" part. He's not singing falsetto like he is doing on the album version and I think it got better in New Orleans, and it was even better in LA where he just changed the melody to adapt to his range.
    -Robin's bending guitar notes during the acoustic breakdown were slightly off key in Chicago. It's the most beautiful part of the song (arguably the most beautiful melody in all of NIN) and you'd want it to sound perfect. Again, NOLA was more precise and kept getting better as the tour went on.
    -You can tell Trent is somewhat improvising the final chorus with those last "You meant everything to me" in Chicago.
    -I much prefer the way they ended in NOLA, where Trent went to the keyboard to play that gorgeous melody from The Great Below.

But yes... obviously, it's always better live.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thank you @teitan for this tour. Atlanta night 2 is one of the greatest experiences of my life, and I would have never dreamed of getting a setlist that amazing

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Tonight’s set list is probably going to give us all heart attacks, in the best possible way.
    Retracted...