Page 120 of 191 FirstFirst ... 20 70 110 118 119 120 121 122 130 170 ... LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,600 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    MCCARTNEY II > Ween's entire output

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

The Mollusk > a majority of Paul McCartney's shitty, overrated solo career. And I say that as someone who loves Ram and Band On The Run

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Edgy stuff, you really stuck it to that BEATLE.

Here is Paul inventing drum & bass in 1980:

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I am quite a big fan of Ween. If I had to give a reason why, it would be because they refuse(d) to adhere to just one genre or "sound". It is "silly" music, but in the vein of Frank Zappa instead of someone like "Weird Al" Yankovic.

My personal favorite is 12 Golden Country Greats, which is overall their best put-together album from a musicianship standpoint. The session players helped, don't get me wrong. It was a treat seeing Gene Ween live with Umphrey's McGee (as Godboner) at Summercamp last year.

I can completely understand why they are polarizing, however.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Thanks, I'll have to check that one out someday! Great comparison, btw. Goofy, silly music isn't generally my thing, but Ween and Zappa both do it to a superlative degree and I often compare the two myself.

Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    Here is Paul inventing drum & bass in 1980:
    Yeah, it's weird to think that drums and bass instruments existed for so long before anyone ever thought to pair the two!

Good thing Paul McCartney finally had that stroke of genius in 1980, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    The Mollusk happens to be the one Ween album I actually own and use to introduce people to the awesomeness of Ween. It's not exactly for everyone so I didn't bother linking to it myself in here but it's easily one of my favorites. I only got it as a hand-me-down when a good pal returned a binder of my CDs to me after taking them back from the mutual "friend" who stole them, though. I went out of my way to return the stuff that wasn't mine to the other pals he stole the rest of the CDs from, but that one belonged to the thief and I knew it was already one of my favorites so I held on to it.

If I ever lose it, that album will officially become my first Ween purchase.

Soooo many amazing nights on acid with that one playing loud as fuck...

XD
    Last edited by Hazekiah; 03-20-2016 at 11:54 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i'm not a big fan of the beatles, and john lennon's solo career takes the cake for being unlistenable for me, but paul mccartney / wings / whatever just puts me into a terrible fucking mood any time i hear him. the music has no emotional resonance for me, no rewarding value, and that inherently makes me angry.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    George Harrison? Most understated Beatle to be sure. His Lethal Weapon song "Cheer Down" is great.

Deftones: once again it's let's get excited about Deftones again time, and every time I'm stumped. I loved this band back in like 1998, but ever since the self-titled it's been one long gloop of morose, self-pitying slop. I don't get why critics and fans love them so: they used to be interesting, hey Pantera + RATM + The Cure, cool! It was arty, it was edgy, it was nu metal with soul. Now it's The Cure + a bunch of Meshuggah riffs once in a while. It's just pure style and I find it empty as shit. Their music is to me supremely boring and Chino does the same shit over and over and over...and everyone laps it up. Genius, Chino, genius. Can you, like, croon again for us in that oh so sublime way? Can you do another shade of precious melancholy for us? I'll take Korn's embarassments over Deftones any day.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Deftones: once again it's let's get excited about Deftones again time, and every time I'm stumped. I loved this band back in like 1998, but ever since the self-titled it's been one long gloop of morose, self-pitying slop. I don't get why critics and fans love them so: they used to be interesting, hey Pantera + RATM + The Cure, cool! It was arty, it was edgy, it was nu metal with soul. Now it's The Cure + a bunch of Meshuggah riffs once in a while. It's just pure style and I find it empty as shit. Their music is to me supremely boring and Chino does the same shit over and over and over...and everyone laps it up. Genius, Chino, genius. Can you, like, croon again for us in that oh so sublime way? Can you do another shade of precious melancholy for us? I'll take Korn's embarassments over Deftones any day.
    I've been trying to get into them for years but it's been a slow go, I think for the reasons you've provided. However, I think the potential is there.

Regarding KoRn, a while back I finally gave The Paradigm Shift a proper listen and I think it's very good! It only took them a decade to erase the previous albums. Actually, Remember Who You Are wasn't too bad despite being very contrived.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    ...best 'industrial' music made today. That miserable bastard that Morrissey is singing to in 'How Soon Is Now' is Jamie Stewart.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Can anyone explain why The Weeknd is supposed to be so amazing?
    I Can't Feel My Face is a great song...a great Michael Jackson song.
    The rest of the album just doesn't do it for me, and I've given it a lot of spins in an attempt to understand the appeal: I get that it's darker and gloomier than most generic r'n'b, but apart from the slightly industrial tinged production, to me it sounds like generic r'n'b.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i'm with you, aggro. i genuinely enjoy all of his singles casually. in my car on top 40 stations. he's alright, i guess. super shrug-worthy.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Thank you for posting that. I was just going to ask in The Shitty Music thread why The Weeknd (or however it's spelled) has a thread in here.

Mix some Michael Jackson with a bit of Bruno and out comes this buffoon.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Abel XO is great compared to the rest of the garbage that he traffics with. For a mainstream R&B/pop singer who runs in the big $ OVO/Future/Cash Money world of hip hop, there's more substance, thought & artistry to what The Weeknd doing than other of the other clowns. The production on the newest album is excellent and not like anything else going on in pop. Really ear-catching.

Is it revolutionary? No. And it doesn't compare to most of the stuff we discuss on here. But in the context i described, The Weeknd is immensely refreshing. Plus, go see him live. Dude's voice is outstanding. Pitch perfect.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    BABYMETAL US television debut on Colbert. I'm still processing this ...

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I'll take Korn's embarassments over Deftones any day.
    Please oh please make a critic blog, about anything, everything. "I'll take Uwe Boll's abysmal, fuck-you cinematography over Snyder's goody-two-shoes misplaced reverence any day."

I mean, I disagree wholeheartedly with every statement you make in here, but each time I find your opinion so insanely mindblowing I can't help but enjoy them.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post

Pop singing over bad metal. Terrible band.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Pop singing over bad metal. Terrible band.
    I don't think it's that bad. In fact, at the risk of losing any credibility, this sounds pretty awesome. Band is crushing it in the video below. However, I must admit not being a metal connoisseur so ...
    In any case, let's just say that it's a guilty pleasure of mine. I'll leave it at that.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

I just saw this in its entirety and well..... this is actually some of the strangest and oddest things I have seen in TV for a very long time and.... I actually like it. I'll take it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I don't think it's that bad. In fact, at the risk of losing any credibility, this sounds pretty awesome. Band is crushing it in the video below. However, I must admit not being a metal connoisseur so ...
    In any case, let's just say that it's a guilty pleasure of mine. I'll leave it at that.

This isn't high school and the idea that someone should lose "credibility" because they like or don't like a particular band is silly. I like Poison! If you like Babymetal, that's cool.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Please oh please make a critic blog, about anything, everything. "I'll take Uwe Boll's abysmal, fuck-you cinematography over Snyder's goody-two-shoes misplaced reverence any day."

I mean, I disagree wholeheartedly with every statement you make in here, but each time I find your opinion so insanely mindblowing I can't help but enjoy them.
    Ha! I used to be a full time music critic. I do perhaps regret being more timid than I should have been back then, though I got some zingers through.
    And...I have been thinking lately of offering my services to a music site, for a column based around being a contrarian: Dr Kontrarian's Korner, or something. I'd have to find the time, but it'd be fun at least.
    I find music journalism today mostly a bunch of kiss-ass nonsense...there is no danger anymore, and it'd be great if some of that shit-stirring spirit (anyone remember buddyhead?) was brought back a bit.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Buddyhead's love/hate for GnR/Axl was legendary.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Had the displeasure of hearing part of a "song" by something called Yelawolf.

Do people actually like this? I can't imagine how that's even possible. It sounds like a hillbilly's spastic colon detonated.
    Last edited by Swykk; 04-29-2016 at 05:00 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Only good thing Yelawolf has ever contributed to music is this classic posse cut (kills his verse here, as does everyone else...he goes 4th):

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    It seems like everybody is enjoying the new Radiohead album.
    Just after Kid A was released I thought the hype surrounding Radiohead would kill the band, although I liked the album and was astonished by their drastic change of style.
    But somehow that hype has survived and the band is still struggling with it.
    That and I never enjoyed any Radiohead album from start to finish, I like only three or four songs from each album.
    The band is in the same vein as U2 to me - a majority of music fans like them, and I like them too, but I just can't get into them as I do with other artists I love.
    Last edited by Lerxto; 05-10-2016 at 08:42 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Just after Kid A was released I thought the hype surrounding Radiohead would kill the band, although I liked the album and was astonished by their drastic change of style.
    But it seems like somehow that hype has survived and the band is still struggling with it.
    That and I never enjoyed any Radiohead album from start to finish, I like only three or four songs from each album.
    The band is in the same vein as U2 to me - a majority of music fans like them, and I like them too, but I just can't get into them as I do with other artists I love.
    I like Radiohead but was never wild about them. I'm just not that into them.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I actually really liked Daydreaming so will probably give this a try at some point but i've always been put off them by Thom Yorke's irritating vocal style. I don't believe for a second that the sheer amount of people saying they love this album genuinely love it. (Not on this forum just in general. I'm surprised there aren't more people on here loving it). I think Radiohead are the sonic equivalent of somebody having the full works of Shakespeare on their shelves though they haven't read it and i'm guilty of that
    Last edited by WorzelG; 05-10-2016 at 09:07 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I'm capable of liking or loving some Radiohead, but far too often their sound comes out being so depressing I almost feel totally barren. This new album is loaded with that effect on me.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Beyonce...eh... Overrated.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Kylie Minogue>>>>>Madonna

I just think Kylie is a more enjoyable personality and never takes herself seriously. Plus, I think she is aware of her limitations as a vocalist and does challenge herself. I also liked the fact that she did a club tour where she sang rarities, b-sides, and other songs that she never sings while not doing any kind of props or wear lavish costumes.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Beyonce...eh... Overrated.
    Do people take Bey that seriously though? I mean I know she's huge in terms of popularity but I don't think her music is perceived as ground breaking and what not.