How did I miss this post until now?

OH MY GOD!!
    Yeah, that thread is absolutely wild.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    What a dick.

as I said on twitter:

"The weak will parish"? Louisiana, that's fightin' words.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    How did I miss this post until now?

OH MY GOD!!
    There was Vice on HBO episode on California fires in 2018 that investigated basically the same thing: lots of fires and other bad stuff happens due to negligence from the power companies (and PG&E specifically) in regards to maintaining their infrastructure.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Thinking about this some more overnight and seeing how bad it is in Texas, I cannot muster any empathy for him or his wife. He said what he said, the context was right there, and from his spelling I think he just doesn't understand what "taken out of context" even means as a phrase. Which to be fair to him I understand the confusion as it was beaten to death by the Trump administration and has reached semantic satiation at this point.

I know there's a bit of "you shouldn't threaten" but he started it by threatening an entire city so there's that whole "reaps/sows" thing.

no need for a new post for this.

Short bit about the story but this is extra and made me laugh:
    Tuesday afternoon, Colorado City shared an official Facebook post, warning residents to boil their water prior to using it. The post was met with a flurry of sarcastic comments.

“What sort of place has Texas become, I ask you, where government feels it has some sort of obligation to society and people at large!” one commenter wrote. “I say, drink and let the strong survive!”
    Last edited by allegate; 02-17-2021 at 10:48 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

you know how they say "don't make fun of the people who voted for ____, it just strengthens their resolve"? We need to make fun of every single person who voted for the leadership that's in charge in Texas. Every person, every level. A real "fuck their feelings" moment.

side note: Is that his "don't hug me!" daughter on the left of that picture?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    He's on a plane back later this afternoon. The story is he accompanied his family to Mexico, stayed the night, and is flying back today. As one does. Easily provable by a receipt...so let's see it, Ted.

UPDATE:

What a fucking weasel.
    Last edited by cdm; 02-18-2021 at 11:18 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    This Ted Cruz story just keeps getting more and more bonkers. it's so wild.

Ted Cruz’s Wife Planned Mexico Getaway To Escape ‘FREEZING’ Weather, Texts Reveal

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

This is without a doubt exactly on par for capitalism.

literally cannot wait for JJ to let loose this mortal coil.
    Last edited by allegate; 02-19-2021 at 02:41 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Regulation is the enemy, though.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    That’s part of the reason why Bitcoin mining has a growing environmental impact. In 2018, Princeton Professor Arvind Narayanan estimated in congressional testimony that the Bitcoin network accounted for slightly under 1 percent of world electricity consumption — a bit more than the electricity consumption of the state of Ohio or the state of New York. Scientists writing in the journal Nature warned in 2018 that Bitcoin’s growth could single-handedly push global emissions above 2 degrees Celsius. More recent estimates found that the carbon emissions of Bitcoin mining “sits between the levels produced by the nations of Jordan and Sri Lanka.” The University of Cambridge Judge Business School’s Bitcoin Electricity Consumption Index estimates that Bitcoin mining will consume more than 120 terawatt-hours of electricity globally this year — more energy than Argentina. (One terawatt-hour is equal to outputting 1 trillion watts of energy for one hour.) Researchers have also found that Bitcoin mining is more energy-intensive than mining both gold and platinum.
    https://truthout.org/articles/bitcoi...cientists-say/

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    ^^^

And obviously, that idiot has never watched Space 1999. I really need to watch that fantastic series again.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    fire season's in full swing here already.

I can see those fires from my office and I'm north of Portland and only on the fourth floor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My country (Belgium) is under water. While this can happen periodically (as is the case in lots of places around the world), the intensity of it and its consequences coupled with the industrialization of the soils, has devastating concerns.
    Now half the country is flooded.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    At least 58 have died in Germany from flooding, too, despite the 'early warning' European Flood Awareness System being deployed. Flooding is going to be much, much worse within the next ten years in North America too because, combined with the sea level rise from global heating, the moon's about to enter a phase of its orbit where tidal pull becomes more forceful on coastal areas.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I saw that news about the moon. it's like a story from an Austin Powers movie that Dr. Evil is making the moon wobble for one meillion dollars! but real. I had thoughts of Armageddon (the movie) action from NASA or whatever the private companies who are going to space decide to do to make the moon stop the wobble.

put a Weeble on one side, maybe?

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I saw that news about the moon. it's like a story from an Austin Powers movie that Dr. Evil is making the moon wobble for one meillion dollars! but real. I had thoughts of Armageddon (the movie) action from NASA or whatever the private companies who are going to space decide to do to make the moon stop the wobble.

put a Weeble on one side, maybe?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Seriously fucked up flooding in Germany and Belgium. At least 81 people missing.

holy hell, I didn't know it was that bad.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    HA. I went outside today. And, its not hot s it is yester day.

global Warming IS a Hoex, an if your one of the people who sats its real, your a socialusm.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Well.. At least that headline of 1300 missing was put down.
    It was due to cell network problems, and people could not be reached. However, still a lot of missing persons.

Last time it was this bad was in 2002 when the Elbe flooded, but this is way worse.
    We've had a lot of rain recently. Humid summer so far.
    Weirdly, it's not so much the usually affected rivers and areas. I guess they were prepared. It really was small innocent streams turning into 8 metre wide raging currents all of a sudden.

Fatalities expected to rise..

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shade View Post
    Well.. At least that headline of 1300 missing was put down.
    It was due to cell network problems, and people could not be reached. However, still a lot of missing persons.
    Okay, forget about that. Now they say over 3.000 missing persons reported. This is going to be bad. They can't all be in some emergency shelter cut off from family..

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

well I for one welcome the eventual Mega-City One Two, Three, and Four.