Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Only 18 days for the premier! I can't wait!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I laughed way harder than I should have at the subtitle joke. Hope the whole series continues to be as strong as the debut was.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    ...was going to write the same, the subtitle joke was exactly my style of shit, great. :-D And the celebrity guests too.

Bonus: my favourite of the three cars won, yay! :-) (like if that mattered, hehe)

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Oh my god, the celebrity segment. It's like if my friends and I sat around and joked about writing a show. That's the kind of stuff we come up with.

I am kind of torn though...as someone who works in entertainment (and just as a decent human being), the way Clarkson treated Oisin Tymon is absolutely appalling. I've been chewed out on the job before and it's a fucking embarrassment, not just for the person being chewed out but for the one who can't keep their head on straight. Then to escalate it to a physical attack? Jesus. That's not cool. I really hope Clarkson has chilled the fuck out since then. Somehow, though, I doubt it.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Nothing about these three episodes has seemed genuine It's unbearably scripted and forced. I know that it always had scripted bits but it at least had the illusion of being slightly natural humour.

"Oh look! Hammond has the wrong camo on, oh dear! I sure hope this gun has blanks in it, better shoot it!"

"Wow, Venice is so peaceful. Isn't it nice just floating about without Hammond making any loud noise! OH LOOK IT'S HAMMOND IN SPEED BOAT! Grrrrrrr that Hammond!"

I honestly expect them to make an overlay that says "Oh, Hammond!" that can pop up on the screen every time he does something.

I'm so disappointed.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I didn't even finish the last episode. I'm willing to give it a chance and see what happens for the rest of the season, but I'm not as hopeful as I may have been before. I really agree with the above post, that Italian film was ruined by turning it into a sitcom.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    So, new BBC Top Gear doesn't feel that bad now, does it. :-) I actually like both shows, but from the last GT episode I enjoyed just the Porsche bit.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I felt like the green car bit is something that they must have pitched during TG but slagged it off as the British like to say.

I haven't seen it actually. Not out of not wanting to, just hasn't raised my interest. Was it better than the one on the History Channel?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The Grand Tour for me confirms that the new Top Gear wasn't so bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if this lasts shorter than planned. Maybe times have changed. Maybe it's just me.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if this lasts shorter than planned. Maybe times have changed. Maybe it's just me.
    It's just you

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Is it?
    "The first episode had been illegally downloaded 7.9 million times
    Episode two has been ripped off 6.4 million times, and the third 4.6 million"

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Still, it's a good indication of the demand for this world-wide.

About 8 minutes into this video they talk about how the show will evolve, hopefully learning from the initial mistakes any show makes at it's beginning. I'm hopeful they come around on those changes for the next season, or that at least they learned enough about what not to have done when putting together the later episodes of this one.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Major improvement this week.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    The last segment was strong, but Ford vs Ferrari in the '60s is a great story, one that's hard to fuck up. Similar style to James' solo docs outside the Top Gear/Grand Tour remit.

The rest... not so much. The big contrast with current or early-2000s Top Gear is that Grand Tour feels more about the presenters than the cars. Might sound like a daft thing to say, but I've thought for some time now that Clarkson isn't that into cars anymore, and it comes across in the films. It's more about delivering heavily forced gags than actually describing their driving experience. I often finish these segments knowing/thinking/feeling absolutely nothing more about the car than I did at the start.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed Mustang/Focus and LeMans Ford/Ferrari segments, very good.

Edit: Oh, and poor Kimi. :-) Silly question, but was it really him...?

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Might sound like a daft thing to say, but I've thought for some time now that Clarkson isn't that into cars anymore, and it comes across in the films. It's more about delivering heavily forced gags than actually describing their driving experience. I often finish these segments knowing/thinking/feeling absolutely nothing more about the car than I did at the start.
    You know, I think this might actually be why I like this show. I'm not a car person at all. I don't the first thing about any vehicle they've ever talked about, and I couldn't care less. The show almost feels like a satire; like they're taking the piss instead of actually being a "car show".

For what it's worth, I don't like it enough to have actually kept up with it. It's in my Amazon list, but I've been more into crappy Christmas flicks now and just haven't bothered watching anything since the second episode. I'll get back to it soon when I return to my lazy "I have nothing to do" state, as it's a humorous way to kill some time then. But I agree, if it's an actual car show you're after, I doubt you're going to learn much here.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's the travel element that I like the most, like when they would do challenges going from London to somewhere else in Europe, or travelling Vietnam on motorcycles. I was actually obsessed with cars when I was a little guy, and my first impression of Top Gear was that I was watching three funny Englishmen live out my childhood fantasies. They are funny when they are more naturally themselves on camera, but whenever they push it like with the scripted stuff, it shows that they aren't comedians of any sort.

My praise was mostly for the Le Mans film, but also the Christmas gift segment. I always liked when they did it on TG, just taking the piss out of these items nobody (except real car freaks) would ever want. Most of all, it allows for that natural chemistry and humor to come out. I probably laughed harder at the condoms than anything else on The Grand Tour so far.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 12-24-2016 at 08:16 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I guess the "joke" Richard Hammond that men look gay eating ice cream has been stirring up controversy. Frankly his goatee is more the joke now.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    MASSIVE improvement this week. I knew they still had it in them

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    And the 2nd part should drop tonight. They usually advertise stuff being available on Friday but they really come in Thursday night.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Really? I thought I'd have to wait a week!

Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    And the 2nd part should drop tonight.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Yep. I think they should have just made it one long episode, as it seems like both are 45 minutes long.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)