Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: A BOWIE Celebration - Concert Stream $25 - Jan. 8

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I’m happy to see that people have enjoyed this, but the price being asked here was a bit too steep IMO. If they allowed you to keep the video file, alright, that’d be worth considering. But making it go away forever after 24h? That’s basically asking people to resort to piracy.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    I’m happy to see that people have enjoyed this, but the price being asked here was a bit too steep IMO. If they allowed you to keep the video file, alright, that’d be worth considering. But making it go away forever after 24h? That’s basically asking people to resort to piracy.
    My guess is that the licensing required to be able to provide this in any downloadable or purchasable way would be insane. I'm assuming treating this as a one-time performance gets around that?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I have to respectfully disagree here. There's undoubtedly notable costs involved in producing a show like this. Artists should be paid. Not sure if you've noticed, but the live music industry has been hit with some pretty hard times as of late. Nobody's financing their retirement on this one.

From my perspective, I dropped $25 + fees for a night of entertainment for my son and I. We've really missed live music in the past year. This, while not exactly the same thing, was quite an experience and I've no regrets.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgalbraith View Post
    My guess is that the licensing required to be able to provide this in any downloadable or purchasable way would be insane. I'm assuming treating this as a one-time performance gets around that?
    I heard Mike Garson say that since his Bowie tribute live tour fell apart this was a compromise he was able to make with Bowie's estate, that this live stream can be up for 24 hours. So I agree, I assume licensing it was much more affordable than licensing an actual release of Bowie covers.

I'm happy I bought my tickets!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I think it was well worth it. Over 3 hours long and 39 songs. Can't ask for more than that.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    $25 is like the standard DoorDash delivery w/tip these days. The pillow my head rests upon will be quite cool tonight.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Dunno if I should link, but on YouTube already.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Pre-COVID, it was already common for a 90-120 minute movie to cost $19.99 on iTunes and similar services. This is a 3 hour concert that took a ton of work, and many households have more than one person watching, making it 8-13 dollars per person in 2-3 person households. Pretty damn reasonable, I’d say.

In terms of how long it’s available, that’s kind of irrelevant. Anyone posting something digitally to the internet knows it’s going to be ripped or recorded and available to anyone for free within hours after it goes up. So you’re not really paying for the content itself as much as to support the people who created it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Anyone else hear that tiny clip of "A Warm Place" at the start of "Fantastic Voyage" right before the drums kick in?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustDave View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree here. There's undoubtedly notable costs involved in producing a show like this. Artists should be paid. Not sure if you've noticed, but the live music industry has been hit with some pretty hard times as of late. Nobody's financing their retirement on this one.

From my perspective, I dropped $25 + fees for a night of entertainment for my son and I. We've really missed live music in the past year. This, while not exactly the same thing, was quite an experience and I've no regrets.
    Oh, I can totally respect that. I don’t think $25 is THAT much, as I’ve spent more on records (and concerts, of course). I just think that spending that much, especially given the atrocious currency exchange that plagues my country, makes this a no-no when you consider that it’s gone after 24h. I think I spent about half that much on Roger Waters’ latest concert film, and it’s in 4K and won’t leave my collection. So I’m not averse to digital stuff.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    If Trent wants to upload these songs in flac format to bandcamp, I will gladly pay.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For those interested in the specifics from the shows credits:

Fantastic Voyage
    Trent Reznor - Lead Vocals
    Atticus Ross - Programming, Arranging and Mixing
    Mike Garson - Piano

Fashion
    Mariqueen Maandig Reznor - Backing Vocals
    Mike Garson - Piano
    Carlos Alomar - Guitar
    Gerry Leonard - Guitar
    Mark Plati - Bass
    Sterling Campbell - Drums
    Catherine Russell - Backing Vocals
    Everett Bradley - Backing Vocals

Also, is it just me or is the video resolution significantly worse on the replay? No issue first go around (at least nothing I noticed), but it doesn’t even look 480 on the second go around.

I’d gladly take these via Bandcamp, or better yet a vinyl single.
    Last edited by variablebitrate; 01-10-2021 at 01:39 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebitrate View Post
    For those interested in the specifics from the shows credits:

Fantastic Voyage
    Mike Garson - Piano

Fashion
    Mariqueen Maandig Reznor - Backing Vocals
    Mike Garson - Piano
    Carlos Alomar - Guitar
    Gerry Leonard - Guitar
    Mark Plati - Bass
    Sterling Campbell - Drums
    Catherine Russell - Backing Vocals
    Everett Bradley - Backing Vocals

Also, is it just me or is the video resolution significantly worse on the replay? No issue first go around (at least nothing I noticed), but it doesn’t even look 480 on the second go around.

I’d gladly take these via Bandcamp, or better yet a vinyl single.
    The first time through was 1080p. So far the replay is only available at 360p on HYFI, but it's at the full 1080p on rolling live studios. Which is pissing me off.... Because downloading it from hyfi has proven easy, but the RLS page is giving me issues. It's an embedded vimeo page, but the usual ways of downloading aren't working and trying to direct link to vimeo is also a no go.

Will keep trying, but my time is limited between now and when the 24hrs is up.

I'm hoping the hyfi site adds the full resolution copy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kargath View Post
    The first time through was 1080p. So far the replay is only available at 360p on HYFI, but it's at the full 1080p on rolling live studios. Which is pissing me off.... Because downloading it from hyfi has proven easy, but the RLS page is giving me issues. It's an embedded vimeo page, but the usual ways of downloading aren't working and trying to direct link to vimeo is also a no go.

I found a 1920x1080 direct mp4 link in the page code. Working on finding a site to upload it to.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    I certainly didn’t expect TR to cover something from Lodger!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Didn’t care for Fame.
    I completely do not understand what the hell Gary Barlow is doing on this stream. Have Robbie on doing his excellent version of Kooks instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I certainly didn’t expect TR to cover something from Lodger!
    It's one of if not his favourite period, no?

Overall, as a production, 10/10 would stream again (in fact, I am right now). Great value for 3 hours of performance.
    Last edited by icklekitty; 01-10-2021 at 03:17 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Was secretly hoping for Trent to do Blackstar with Mariqueen doing the harmonies on the first half of the song ...but it worked out rather well nonetheless!!

Was a little disappointed Duran Duran mimed theirs, but at least they've done a pretty good job of the cover.
    Last edited by simonn; 01-10-2021 at 03:41 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    holy fuck, that motherfucker can SING

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atomobile View Post
    He Can't Give Everything Away...
    KISS were charging $50 for the lip synching session from Dubai. I didn't purchase but have seen. Really, how you say, not good.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

A BOWIE Celebration - Concert Stream $25 - Jan. 8

that performance made my morning. so great to see him sing so beautifully and then be so dance-y and cool. and so needed. 2021 needs more dance-y reznor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    This has to be the longest hair TR had in live performance since... when? 1996? I think his Fragility and early WT cut was shorter than this

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Fucking incredible covers, both of them. Ridiculous.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Fantastic Voyage was very emotional.

It made me realise how much I miss concerts

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Definitely need "Fashion" added to the NIN repertoire for the next round of touring!

Did not expect TR to do "Fantastic Voyage." Didn't get it during my 3 show REALITY tour stretch, but TR fucking nailed it (no pun intended).

Happy birthday Davey Jones!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    This was great. Also, Trent’s longer hair return really gives me “Still” era vibes with these performances.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    They're the new goon squad

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Seeing Trent during Fashion if giving me strong “Strobe Light” album artwork vibes

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I hope this shows up some place I can watch it. I tried to buy a ticket but I don't own a credit card or PayPal account, so I missed out. Lineup looks pretty interesting. Kudos to Trent for picking Fantastic Voyage, that's an underrated track and seems relevant in these times of craziness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kargath View Post

Thanks for pointing this out, this checks out. RLS page is much better quality and I'll just say my usual ways are working thankfully. Wonder if you're hitting a sang because it's a DASH stream (took me a little bit to figure out how to deal with those).