Page 438 of 527 FirstFirst ... 338 388 428 436 437 438 439 440 448 488 ... LastLast
Results 13,111 to 13,140 of 15809

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Pretty sure 'AATCHB' is a Fragile outtake.....The booklet lists the credits and Keith Hillebrandt is listed. He only worked with NIN up til 2000 and left after the Fragility tour ended....I think ninwiki even listed it as a Fragile outtake
    Hillebrandt is listed for tdtwwa which was recorded in 2000

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    My YT page had this today and thought it was cool:

https://imgur.com/a/31VB616

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Can't wait for a Still reissue remaster so I can make my own Fragile expanded. Also need Things Falling Apart reissued and remastered.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Pretty sure 'AATCHB' is a Fragile outtake.....The booklet lists the credits and Keith Hillebrandt is listed. He only worked with NIN up til 2000 and left after the Fragility tour ended....I think ninwiki even listed it as a Fragile outtake
    Hillebrandt is listed on every Still song for programming. There's no way to differentiate the chronology from the album credits.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Hillebrandt is listed on every Still song for programming. There's no way to differentiate the chronology from the album credits.
    There was a Direct TV interview from 2002. I thought it was in that interview where he mentioned recording it after the tour. I skimmed through it on YouTube, but didn’t hear that part. Does that sound familiar to anyone else? I feel like it was longer when I saw it originally than what is on YouTube.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Hillebrandt is also on Deep, fwiw

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    It took me about twenty years of listening to the album version of "Sin" to figure out what the high-pitched squealing noise was on the introduction (just as the hi-hat pattern enters, it starts on the left side of the stereo image, then pans to the other side and back; crops up again several times throughout). Always thought maybe it was a violin sample, or something like that, but then TR casually dropped a truth-bomb in a recent interview that there was "sax on Pretty Hate Machine" and my brain — after a few moments of "WTF is he talking about, 'Purest Feeling' isn't on the album" — went "oh fuck, that noise is a saxophone played in the altissimo range with over-blowing". If you pitch shift it down a couple of tones this is easier to hear, but I'm pretty sure now that's exactly what it is.
    Last edited by botley; 08-17-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    It took me about twenty years of listening to the album version of "Sin" to figure out what the high-pitched squealing noise was on the introduction (just as the hi-hat pattern enters, it starts on the left side of the stereo image, then pans to the other side and back; crops up again several times throughout). Always thought maybe it was a violin sample, or something like that, but then TR casually dropped a truth-bomb in a recent interview that there was "sax on Pretty Hate Machine" and my brain — after a few moments of "WTF is he talking about, 'Purest Feeling' isn't on the album" — went "oh fuck, that noise is a saxophone played in the altissimo range with over-blowing". If you pitch shift it down a couple of tones this is easier to hear, but I'm pretty sure now that's exactly what it is.
    i had that same thought and then never got around to investigating it so THANK YOU!!!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    you are a gentleman & a scholar.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    oh my fucking GOD

He used the saxophone for every kind of weird sounds. Like in Eraser; all the sound effects were created by breathing into the mouthpiece of a sax. Trent even did this live when they performed TDS in full.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Maybe, in the end, the real Bad Witch is dat saaaax.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    oh my fucking GOD

He used the saxophone for every kind of weird sounds. Like in Eraser; all the sound effects were created by breathing into the mouthpiece of a sax. Trent even did this live when they performed TDS in full.
    I always pictured him making the Eraser sucking sounds with a straw, a mouthpiece of a sax makes more sense.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishtifer View Post
    I always pictured him making the Eraser sucking sounds with a straw, a mouthpiece of a sax makes more sense.
    We all thought it was a straw (check the old versions of the Eraser article on nin.wiki), but then Trent proved us all wrong with that live performance.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    We all thought it was a straw (check the old versions of the Eraser article on nin.wiki), but then Trent proved us all wrong with that live performance.
    The straw sound isn't the same as what he does with the sax. The bug noises are sax, the straw noises we still don't know. They play them pre-recorded live.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishtifer View Post
    As someone who used to play a brass instrument, I thought the sax on Eraser was common knowledge. Guess I was wrong.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Holy shit.

I always thought it was Kinda I Want To that had some sax buried in there somewhere.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 08-19-2018 at 05:38 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I dream of NIN tour with Dave Grohl on drums.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Hard to say. "Adrift And At Peace" seems possible since Trent mentioned that it serves as a conclusion to La Mer. My guess is that the other instrumentals were pieces that evolved from the aborted One Hour Photo score.
    Fuck, i almost forgot about that One Hour Photo Score that never was!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'm curious if "the makeup hides the bruise" in "Branches/Bones" is a possible reference to "Hand Covers Bruise" in the score for "The Social Network".

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I'm curious if "the makeup hides the bruise" in "Branches/Bones" is a possible reference to "Hand Covers Bruise" in the score for "The Social Network".
    i feel like they almost have to at least come from the same line of thought, you know? It's sort of the same image. I definitely thought about that immediately.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Sitting here imagining NIN performing Clouser's versions of Ruiner and Heresy Live.. Oh My!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    It's possible. It may also be Trent assuming the persona of someone abused. From the opposite perspective: "I left her on the bathroom floor".
    This is highly likely, especially given the discovery of the schizophrenic person's blog.

Or it might simply be the broader idea of hiding yourself, wearing masks, make-up, etc.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    How am I now only hearing this song?? Jesus it's like PHM's long lost twin.

Sister Machine Gun - Sins of the Flesh
    This is pretty dope! Thanks for the share.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The official NIN Vimeo account remains a true goldmine. I wish they would upload some new stuff to that account.
    https://vimeo.com/ninofficial

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Together... 'The Day The World Went Away' (The Fragile, Still, Quiet) is the best song Trent has ever written.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Together... 'The Day The World Went Away' (The Fragile, Still, Quiet) is the best song Trent has ever written.
    'The Day The World Went Away' (The Fragile, Still, Quiet) is the best song Trent has ever written.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Together... 'And All That Could Have Been' (Still) is the best song Trent has ever written.
    I fixed that for ya.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm Not From This World has grown on me so much

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbitman View Post
    I'm Not From This World has grown on me so much
    I love the entire thing but this is definitely my favorite on the album.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So I read this on the wiki for I'm Not From This World

Although an instrumental, the following lyrics are embedded in the digital version, and can very faintly be heard in the song. They seem to reference the additional, unsung lyrics from "God Break Down The Door".

I'm Not From This World
    Not Anymore

where do you hear this in the song?