The Great Destroyer
    Eraser
    Wish
    Only
    The Hand That Feeds
    Head Like A Hole
    Hurt

review to come.
    Last edited by Mr. Blaileen; 07-25-2014 at 03:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No surprises. TR said it's the last time he'll be playing Chicago and thanked us. Everyone sounded great. Robin slays. Trent wore a skirt...seriously. Great show!

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatGazoo View Post
    No surprises. TR said it's the last time he'll be playing Chicago and thanked us. Everyone sounded great. Robin slays. Trent wore a skirt...seriously. Great show!
    Last show "in awhile". Just want to clear that up.

Also this venue is not THAT bad. Not great either. Wanna go to a shitty ampitheatre? Try Marcus in Milwaukee Summerfest grounds.

Other than that not much to report, static set list but had a great fucking time with a NIN newbie. Was supposed to be last show for on this tour but rethinking on maybe catching one of the latter ones.

Good night!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Great show, and it exceeded my expectations based on all the crap I heard about the venue.

Getting out of this place blows tho. Been stuck in traffic for about one hour, so I decided to hit up ETS via phone.

I was back in row NN. Sound was better than I thought, but definitely crap compared to Vegas and RR. I was certainly spoiled at those venues.

Set was exactly what I was expecting at this point, so I wasn't too bummed not hearing any new songs.

From what I could make out from what Trent said, it sounded like the same thing as Vegas. Not necessarily last time ever, but for a good while. Will probably type more tomorrow when im near a computer again.

Off to get 3.5 hours of sleep before work, then a 7 hour drive to Detroit. The things I do for you, Trent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Awesome fucking show! Yeah, it was a little short, but this was way better then the Tension show last year. Completely exceeded my expectations.

Sound Garden killed it too. They put on a great show.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    The Great Destroyer easily was the highlight of the night.

Honorable mentions: Me, I'm Not, Eraser, Copy Of A

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I just got home from the hour-ish drive from Tinley to my own suburb. Setlist was like NIN: The Greatest Hits but that was still incredible just absolutely great. Everybody was on point. Especially, of course, Trent. Like others said he said it's "the last time we'll be playing here for a long time" so not never, but not soon. Or even "soon." That show (plus the one I caught in Cleveland, and Lolla) will hold me over until Trent and co. come back.

The only thing I REALLY would've liked to see (again) would've been All Time Low. It seems he's switched back to Closer for this tour for the "funky sexy song the crowd gets totally into" which is okay, I love Closer, but either added or switched with All Time Low would've made a great show even better for me.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    That wasn't a skirt...I was front directly in front of Robin and had a clear view of everything. It's open in the front and he's wearing what looked like black jeans. He wore pretty much the same thing last year (at least at VooDoo fest). I'm pretty sure it's a shirt tied around his waist somehow. I'll look through my pictures later and see if there's a good one.

The NIN/SG poster is pretty sweet. Pretty sure it's black light reactive. When SG was on, the backlight overheads sort of looked like they made it change colors. Was hard to tell rolled up though.

All in all..had a great time. I think this was my 12th show. Hopefully not my last.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    I didn't think the sound was as bad as everyone said it would be (and don't remember it being bad when i saw them there last time). I enjoyed myself but i feel like a NIN show isn't the same if you're not on the floor rocking out. Just my personal preference. Decent view from the lawn despite being just left of the giant pillars cutting through the middle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Incase anyone failed to document the "fist fuck". No worries, I got it.

http://instagram.com/p/q3BoRFsAOI/

Apologizes for my singing

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Soundgarden's set:

1. Searching With My Good Eye Closed

2. Spoonman

3. Rowing

4. Outshined

5. Black Hole Sun

6. Jesus Christ Pose

7. The Day I Tried to Live

8. My Wave

9. Superunknown

10. Fell on Black Days

11. A Thousand Days Before

12. Burden in My Hand

13. Rusty Cage

14. Beyond the Wheel

I should have checked before today..I didn't realize the show would start so early, and didn't end up getting into my spot until partway through "Black Hole Sun".

Anyway. I don't think the sound was as bad as people made it out to be. It wasn't the best, sure, but I heard everything clearly enough from the lawn.

I'm not that familiar with Soundgarden, but I've been trying to play catch up over the past week. Luckily for me, they played stuff mostly from Badmotofinger/Superunknown, so I ended up knowing most of what they played. Cornell has a hell of a voice, that's for sure. Highlights for me were 'My Wave', 'Fell On Black Days', and 'Jesus Christ Pose'.

Anyway, onto NIN. This was my 7th show.

Assorted thoughts:

It was fantastic, as usual. An outdoor NIN show is never as great as an indoor one, but I still really enjoyed it. The musicians were on point, and Trent was full of energy.

The visuals were stunning for each song. Trent's definitely changed quite a bit of last year's set up. Loved how they kept messing with lights/shadows/backdrops.

Copy Of A
    - Loved how Trent came out solo, and everyone got set up around him as the song went along. Cool way to start things off.

Terrible Lie
    - Somehow, this song seemed sexier than it usually is. Not sure what they did or if it's just the current lineup, but I really enjoyed it.

Me, I'm Not/Find My Way/The Great Destroyer/Eraser
    - basically worth the price of admission right there, at least for me. I hadn't seen Me, I'm Not or The Great Destroyer before, so seeing those two was fucking awesome. The other two were great in that section as well. Trent's electro-stuff during The Great Destroyer was fucking amazing. So were the visuals.

Minor gripes:
    - I really enjoyed everything, don't get me wrong, but this was one of the more cookie cutter NIN setlists, that's for sure. I was hoping and praying for something different to close out the show, or a different opener or something. That said, I'm not terribly surprised though, as it's a joint outdoor-venue tour. Minor gripe.

- No 'The Day The World Went Away'. Still waiting for it!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by L4YER_CAK3 View Post
    Incase anyone failed to document the "fist fuck". No worries, I got it.

http://instagram.com/p/q3BoRFsAOI/

Apologizes for my singing
    Yay! I got the "fist fuck" too!

http://instagram.com/p/q2_XwxDQ0R/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No complaints about the show what so ever, but did have an issue with LiveNation and judging from the nice employees i talked to i was not the only one
    I bought 3 presale tickets the day the went up, under the impression they were pit. I received an email a few days ago with instructions to pick up me "Presale Reserved Seating Tickets" only to find out at the entrance to seating that my tickets were lawn. Why would I buy presale nin.com member EARLY ENTRY tickets for lawn, they were polite about it and said that they had that problem with alot of people in the line and all throughout the night
    I mean it is awesome that the printed the sweet tickets, but one member of my party is handicapped and she had to give them her ticket, the nice printed nin.com ones not the ticketmaster ones for a folding chair to sit, and she could'nt get it back

And i swear i saw ticketmast.com offering "PIT" tickets for sale, a seated pit? the same employee told us that last night Lynard Skynard and someone else played there and they had an open pit

but all ticketing issues aside was a great show and was happy to snag one of the funky handdrawn shirts

i'll leave you with a spoitfy playlist of the setlist i made for a friend that couldn't make the show

Nine Inch Иails
    07/24/2014
    Tinley Park, IL
    First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre
    http://bit.ly/NIИ2014Chicago

-

Last edited by whasty; 07-25-2014 at 07:03 AM. Reason: adding photos

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    A little (and I mean, a very little) disappointed--no pun intended. Surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but absolutely nothing was played off of The Fragile. Wtf? As "cookie cutter" (as some of you are calling it) as this setlist was, could he not have fit one f'in song from that album in the list?

Sound could have been a little better...don't know what was going on at the sound booth, but vox were pretty horrendous from a volume standpoint...and any/all vital solo's (guitar or synth) were very low in the mix.

Ok, I'll stop bitching. Overall, decent/fulfilling show from both main acts.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Eraser. Enough said!!!!

Recording should be posted later this evening. I know of one other person who taped as well and they were in the same row as I.

If anyone has an extra pre-sale ticket stub from this show they could send my way I would forever be in your debt.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Show was awesome. I love nin as a 4 piece. Wish they wouldve played some fragile songs or even some new shit that i havent heard live yet (all time low, VMOE, IWFY, in two etc..). Also was hoping for the somewhat damage open. But it was still great. The great destroyer was the highlight for me.

And i feel like shit today. Shouldve taken off work. Lost my cell phone there as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the corrections.

As has been mentioned, "a while" ranks right up there with "soon", so I'll take that as the last time I see Uncle Trenty until they roll him out in a wheelchair for the reunion tour in 20 years.

And that totally looked like a skirt from where I was sitting. So if someone has a good pic, I think it would put my wife at ease that I didn't take her to a tranny extravaganza.

One other comment...I've been to quite a few shows over the years (I'm easily in the 75% percentile or higher for age at the show) and it's amazing to see the transformation of the band. They played more a live/spontaneous show at the beginning of their careers and then have evolved to playing a perfect set these days, where there are times they sound almost identical to the studio recording. They certainly have added some flair to certain songs (Sanctified, Closer, Only, etc), but the perfectionist in Trent definitely shows up nowadays.

And contrast that to Soundgarden, where you can tell it's a live show with some things not exactly in the same key/tone/whatever. Don't get me wrong...I enjoyed their set. But it's such a drastic difference to NIN that followed them.

Anyway, thanks again for the corrections and I hope everyone else enjoyed the nice weather we had!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks for the corrections.

And that totally looked like a skirt from where I was sitting. So if someone has a good pic, I think it would put my wife at ease that I didn't take her to a tranny extravaganza.

Anyway, thanks again for the corrections and I hope everyone else enjoyed the nice weather we had!
    Didn't mean to sound like an ass if I did. No worries though, at first we thought he had a skirt at VooDoo.

This pic isn't the best, but I think it's the only one I got with a clear shot of his legs. As awesome as it was buying a front row ticket, it did have a few disadvantages of stuff being in the way.

If this downsized the image and you can't zoom enough to tell, pm me and I'll email it. You should be able to tell he has pants on with the part hanging down being in the back only.

To everyone disappointed about general admission being the lawn...maybe it's just since I've been to a crapload of venues, but....never ever assume general admission is in the front. Especially at an outdoor show.

This particular one DOES sometimes do a front pit, but the presale made no mention of that. It was seated or GA. Didn't you wonder why GA was less expensive than the seated? That should have been your big red flag.

I'm sorry if you didn't have as good of a time because of that...that sucks. Hell... this venue sucks. My wife and I agreed a long time ago that we'd only go to it for NIN or Tool.

@ritc..can't wait for the recording! They were being nazi's up front with people doing anything except taking pictures. I would have been busted REALLY quick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great show last night. I was also disappointed that nothing from The Fragile was played, but for a "greatest hits" kind of set it was pretty awesome.

I hadn't seen anything at this venue for a long time and was worried that the sound would suck but I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe the vocals were a little higher in the mix than everything else. Our sight lines from the lawn were pretty good.

We missed OPN waiting in line. Soundgarden put on a good show. I really only recognized the 5-6 songs of theirs I knew, but they were solid.

Great Destroyer was the highlight of the show for me.

And that damn poster sold out while we were halfway through the merch table line. Arggh.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Not a single song was played off The Fragile. That is mg biggest takeaway of the night, and this is a first for me in alm the times that I've seen NIN. The Great Destroyer and it's extended glitch jam is worth probably 2-3 Fragile Instrumental Deep Cuts worth of awesome, but still, not a single song of The Fragile?!?

"Just relax and embrace the Greatest Hits," is what I kept on telling myself. . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kargath View Post
    Didn't mean to sound like an ass if I did. No worries though, at first we thought he had a skirt at VooDoo.

This pic isn't the best, but I think it's the only one I got with a clear shot of his legs. As awesome as it was buying a front row ticket, it did have a few disadvantages of stuff being in the way.

If this downsized the image and you can't zoom enough to tell, pm me and I'll email it. You should be able to tell he has pants on with the part hanging down being in the back only.
    No offense taken. And I can see what you mean in that pic with his leg peeking through. We thought he was moving around fairly well for a dude in a skirt, so that makes sense. Then again, he did his usual skipping and prancing throughout the show, which brought us back to the skirt idea. Thanks for the confirmation!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    He's probably waiting to bust out other stuff in the setlist later on in the tour (which is why when this was first announced I was sort of sad this was one of the first shows since it's the only one I'm going to on this tour) would be my guess. I didn't notice at the time that there weren't any songs from The Fragile but it is kinda weird not a single one. The Great Destroyer and Eraser must've "erased" any thoughts I had about lack of Fragile material haha.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Loved how the instruments/sounds change with each leg, from Pinos MOTP baseline to last night's "fuzz." Awesome when the back curtain falls during the song as the song explodes, deliciously violent. God bless you people who put the great videos on youtube already, especially siliconcpu's perfect film of Hurt. Now I'm seeing what other show I csn drive to....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Anyone a Chicago tribune online subscriber? Looks like an awesome review but I need to pay to read it all. By awesome I mean very specific and descriptive about why it's emotional and amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here is the text:

The future hasn't yet caught up to Nine Inch Nails. Sparked with cutting-edge music and innovative staging, the group's invigorating 90-minute concert Thursday at First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre took on the aura of a post-apocalyptic landscape in which digital technology conquers free will. While Nine Inch Nails proved vital, co-headlining "alt-rock"-era peers Soundgarden primarily coasted during a set deflated by flat chemistry and simple nostalgia.

Renowned for creative visuals, Nine Inch Nails began with understated surprise. Leader Trent Reznor walked out with the house lights up onto a bare stage containing only a microphone and analog synthesizer. As he started singing, instruments got pushed and carried out one by one. Band members followed in corresponding fashion. Tall, mobile screens soon appeared, and for the duration, were arranged into different configurations like massive Lego blocks to serve as physical barriers and illuminated props.

The stripped-down approach mirrored the quartet's lean attack. Dressed in a black leather jacket, kilt and combat boots, Reznor crouched akin to a predator waiting to attack unsuspecting prey. He hissed and shouted words, holding pent-up aggression inside until despair and alienation reached breaking points. Songs such as "1,000,000" and "Wish" addressed the inability to feel real emotion and desire to abandon identity. Scorched with gristly electronics and corrosive textures, their sound pulsed with tension and hostility.

Prodded by Ilan Rubin's concussive drumming, Nine Inch Nails embraced cathartic rage on several occasions. But the band also expressed anxiety via subtleties. Industrial noises and abstract tones framed the minimalist "Me, I'm Not." Burbling atmospherics and grinding beats rattled "The Hand That Feeds." And a bass-driven funk groove even emerged on "Only," evidence that at least on this night, machines still hadn't wrestled complete control away from humans.

In contrast to Nine Inch Nails' boundless energy and updated cyber-age arrangements, Soundgarden celebrated the past with a professional albeit uninspired performance centered on 1991's "Badmotorfinger" and 1994's "Superunknown" albums. Without the services of normal drummer Matt Cameron, the Seattle band lacked might—and spirit. Bassist Ben Shepherd looked out of sorts and smashed equipment. A few songs hit stride, yet the urgency the group displayed at the Riviera in early 2013 remained glaringly absent.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I was able to read it here without a subscription http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-80898414/

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RITCNIN View Post
    Eraser. Enough said!!!!

Recording should be posted later this evening. I know of one other person who taped as well and they were in the same row as I.

If anyone has an extra pre-sale ticket stub from this show they could send my way I would forever be in your debt.

I have an extra presale stub but It has my name on it; if that doesn't matter. Let me know.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I keep forgetting to mention, but if you guys caught Chris Cornell telling someone that they were late..this was near the end of their set..that kid was two people over from us in the front row. He was definitely there for SG and had been there absolutely rocking out to every song. He went to take a leak and when he came back, Cornell made that comment. It was hilarious. If you've ever seen the south park episode where Cartman gets Radiohead to make fun of Scott Tenorman...it was like that.