Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: How Long (New Song and Video)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
    If TR wasn't involved with this song, no one would give this song a wink and you know it. This drivel's been done a thousand times over. Because Trent did it, everyone gives it a free pass.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I like the song because I like the song. If I heard it randomly without know ing who it was, I'd still like it. Saying that people only like it because Trent is involved is a very close-minded way of looking at things. And you know what, even if they do, who cares? Who really cares? Again, you don't like the song, and that's fine, but bitching about people liking it makes you look stupid.

And before you can me idiot, please sharpen your reading comprehension and see that I wrote "us", meaning myself included.
    Before I "can you idiot"? Yeah, I'll be sure to get right on that.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    If liking this song is "drinking the kool-aid", I'm going to be pouring gallons of that shit down my throat.

You don't like the song? That's cool, but don't call people fucking sheep just because they do. That's just idiotic.
    WAIT! Kas may be onto something... it's been in APCs video the WHOLE TIME. FUCK ME.

The real truth:

It's a smart video, original story and a good song. My opinion is superior to everyone elses... end of discussion. Also Kas is right, that fact that TR is involved with HTDA does mean I will follow the group more closely and be more open minded.
    Last edited by snaapz; 02-05-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    If TR wasn't involved with this song, no one would give this song a wink and you know it. This drivel's been done a thousand times over. Because Trent did it, everyone gives it a free pass.
    COD theme sucked. Most of Trent's solo remixes are very minor and kind of pointless. His pre-NIN work was ... bad.

And yet, I love HTDA. Probably because it's fucking good music, not because some bloke from another band I like is in it.

Now, would I KNOW about HTDA if Trent and Atticus weren't involved? Probably not. But that doesn't demean the fact I like the music, it simply means I need to expand my musical circles.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kas23
    Because Trent did it, everyone gives it a free pass.
    There were five good tracks on TGWTDT OST.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ...causing me to grow very wary of his creative skills.
    I'm going to throw this out there. It seems to me great art comes from the tortured artist. Trent was battling so many demons during the NINeties. Ever since he cleaned up, healed himself, (probably found god), married and had kids it seems like things are more sterile and collected. Break it all down damnit! "Fan: Hey Trent, glad to see you're happy" "TR: who says I'm happy fuckface?"._
    Last edited by ZeroisGreg; 02-07-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    To me, the only change that's happened is that Trent has become less introspective and turned his attention to other issues than himself, which I don't see as a problem. Year Zero, whether you liked it or not, showed that he can be pissed about other things than his own life. Having a family doesn't magically fix everything. Who knows, maybe it brought out some demons of its own.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroisGreg View Post
    Every since he cleaned up, healed himself, (probably found god)
    based on...? I mean he wasn't an atheist during TDS, I hardly see what he "found", if anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    based on...? I mean he wasn't an atheist during TDS, I hardly see what he "found", if anything.
    I don't think there's definitive evidence but I was making a guess based on the song 'Closer to God' (probably not literal), he writes lyrics "and God himself will reach his fucking arm through just to push you down...t-t-t to hold you down.'. I just had this feeling he might be getting all religiony (not a word?) on us. And there's my weak argument.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I'm going to throw this out there. It seems to me great art comes from the tortured artist. Trent was battling so many demons during the NINeties. Every since he cleaned up, healed himself, (probably found god), married and had kids it seems like things are more sterile and collected. Break it all down damnit! "Fan: Hey Trent, glad to see you're happy" "TR: who says I'm happy fuckface?"._
    The shit you pull out of your ass is astounding. It's damn near museum-worthy.

There is no fucking way to justify what you just said. You're implying that you'd rather see a musician you supposedly enjoy be a complete fucking mess instead of being actually happy, which he sure as hell seems to be. Maybe he might not have as much material to work from, but good for him if that's the case.

On another note, one here is saying that everything Trent does is golden. Yes, we all KNOW HTDA's music because of Trent's involvement, but that doesn't mean that he's the sole reason we listen. There's some music from Trent, even in the supposedly untouchable 90s, that I can't listen to. The ground he walks on isn't holy, and the music he puts out isn't either. Trent doesn't get a "free pass" from us in any sense. He's just a good musician. And don't forget that two other people contribute heavily to the project as well.

The shit I see on this board sometimes, man.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I don't think there's definitive evidence but I was making a guess based on the song 'Closer to God' (probably not literal), he writes lyrics "and God himself will reach his fucking arm through just to push you down...t-t-t to hold you down.'. I just had this feeling he might be getting all religiony (not a word?) on us. And there's my weak argument.
    Closer to God is a remix, and those lyrics are from The Wretched and your post still made no sense.

You do know that HTDA isn't just Trent writing, yeah?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Closer to God is a remix, and those lyrics are from The Wretched and your post still made no sense.

You do know that HTDA isn't just Trent writing, yeah?
    Right, I'm aware of this. Speaking of that, Q is writing which seems to be inspired by Trent when you read the lyrics and choice of words. 'Closer' I meant to type. I've derailed a bit so I guess I'll leave it at that.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    And before you can me idiot, please sharpen your reading comprehension
    Sharpen your writing comprehension and we'll talk

Re: TR and God. I don't know of a single instance in which he's made any reference whatsoever to being a man of faith, but if I were to go off of lyrics of albums past (hello, Heresy), I'd guess he isn't.

Re: this song (oh right, that's why we're here). I watched the video the night it came out, and haven't revisited it since. Nothing's stuck in my head. I can't remember a single thing about the music other than the lyrics including the words "how long," which is usually an early indication that a song isn't going to end up as a regular part of my library. But I'm still looking forward to hearing the LP.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    COD theme sucked. Most of Trent's solo remixes are very minor and kind of pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    There were five good tracks on TGWTDT OST.
    COD theme was great. Trent's solo remixes are mostly fabulous. TGWTDT's ost is probably one of TR's finest works and a masterpiece.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I still love it. I like where HTDA are going! Can't wait for the album drop. Also, someone was talking about the eyes earlier... would just like to point out when the old dude dies, the light in his eyes disappears. Very cool and maybe hints that the album might just be a concept album? It's like the video was the start of something, and it holds a lot of clues to something bigger, but elaborates on nothing. I'm eager to find out!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I tink it's a good tune and i don't mind the "poppier" approach hes taking with his project, if i wanted to listen to NIN i would listen to NIN, the song is good and the project its gaining more personality with each release

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Re: TR and God. I don't know of a single instance in which he's made any reference whatsoever to being a man of faith, but if I were to go off of lyrics of albums past (hello, Heresy), I'd guess he isn't.
    In a few interviews in the 90s he mentions belief in a higher power. I'll concede he could have been referring to John Malm.

Back on topic: what do we all think the song's about?

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCmuse View Post
    It's like the video was the start of something, and it holds a lot of clues to something bigger, but elaborates on nothing. I'm eager to find out!
    I could've sworn that they said there were all sorts of things in the video for The Space In Between was leading to something more; that questions would be answered, etc. Maybe I'm just imagining things. But I feel like they had mentioned a number of "bigger picture" type things when that first came out that never really appeared after all. Unless I missed them. Or remember all of this wrong.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    For fuck's sake, kids.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    This drivel's been done a thousand times over. Because Trent did it, everyone gives it a free pass.
    Someone seems to be forgetting "Deep"...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    oh, "deep" is some good shit

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by my voice just View Post
    oh, "deep" is some good shit

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    ^ ^^ ^^^I love the guitar in Deep. @ 2:18 & I love the use of wah on the guitar throughout the song.

Regarding 'How Long', did you miss my previous post?

It's a smart video, original story and a good song. My opinion is superior to everyone elses... end of discussion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    ^ ^^ ^^^I love the guitar in Deep. @ 2:18 & I love the use of wah on the guitar throughout the song.

Regarding 'How Long', did you miss my previous post?

It's a smart video, original story and a good song. My opinion is superior to everyone elses... end of discussion.
    listened to Deep again...actually pretty darn good. Kinda sexy, and love the guitar work. 'How long' - had some fresh ears listen to it (non ninny) and she pointed out that the vocals do not fit with the music...okay I've picked on Q's vocals enough...I know. Hey, cool...I'm back on topic.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Does anyone know if How Long was released to radio and/or charted? I was fooling around on billboard.com (holy crap that whole thing seems so irrelevant now, I remember when Billboard basically ruled the music world), but couldn't find much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really think all the actor's faces are brilliant for this video. I like the story as well.
    This song makes me curious how "welcome to oblivion" will turn out. I really dig the first ep, but except for 2 songs from "an omen" I can't get that much into it. We'll see...

And yeah, that Deep-guitar is awesome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know why but this song clicked with me today. So catchy and good, and so much going on in the background.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

And before you can me idiot, please sharpen your reading comprehension and see that I wrote "us", meaning myself included. I love everything TR has done up until now and I'm still trying to, but this is causing me to grow very wary of his creative skills.
    Disagree. There are a few tracks that I don't like in HDTA's discography. "How Long" is one of their best regardless of TR's involvement.

Yes, I would have never listen to HTDA if it had no involvement of TR but I'm glad it does cause their music is a great change of pace to everything else I listen to. I want more artists like these, and I know that they exist but I don't have that broad range of "new music discovery", so when music like this is handed to me, I cherish it.

With that said, what other artists fit in the same category as HDTA?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    Does anyone know if How Long was released to radio and/or charted? I was fooling around on billboard.com (holy crap that whole thing seems so irrelevant now, I remember when Billboard basically ruled the music world), but couldn't find much.
    I don't know about How Long, but I've read that An Omen reached #42.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Finally got around to saving this as an mp3 and have listened to it twice (only listened to it once previously, when I watched the video).

Really great song, getting addicted to it.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Some may be surprised to know I almost love this song. Basic and addicting, I tell ya what. It doesn't sound like the HDTA spirit we know, to me...it's like a U2 song fused in or something. I wish they'd have gone for this vibe from the beginning.

Also, I find the music video is a strangely good match for the song. I approve.