Thread: Deftones

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I love that remix!

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    They finally played a new song. Title track has been played

Edit: AHHHH THE PLAYED (L)MIRL
    Last edited by Dryalex12; 07-31-2016 at 09:12 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    finally played gore, acid hologram and (l)mirl !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    What a great setlist from last night! I really hope they keep Gore and (L)MIRL throughout the tour.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    next wednesday is NJ, anyone going?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I'll be there...with fucking bells on.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Also, I just remembered that, in 2009, NIN had auctioned off a guitar for the Chi benefit: https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/6262126612

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I'll be there...with fucking bells on.
    nice! i'm always down to get a drink. my insta is @ther0yald hmu

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    his face on the thumbnail is priceless.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Could this vaporwave song be where Geometric Headdress got its name from?

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Listening to S/T for the umpteenth time... and, man, does this record hurt more and more with each listen. It's definitely about a breakup, of course, and while it's still "meh" and monotonous musically compared to the brilliance of White Pony, it's part of its energy. The band doesn't care about surpassing their previous greatness; they just want to tear shit apart. And while I still cringe at some of Chino's singing, his screams are the scariest and fiercest he's ever done. When Girls Telephone Boys is the prime example, though my pick is the ending of Bloody Cape. That "God, Help Me" part is so desperate, so... real.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa. Monotonous?

There is nothing on White Pony that sounds anything like Deathblow, Battle Axe, AOAUE or Hexagram. S/T is all over the place musically.
    I know, it just felt too disjointed, depressed and unsure of itself (SNW was even more cautious, though). White Pony has always sounded ambitious to me as it was, to quote Chino, "the record that almost killed us". S/T was the aftermath of their burnout, and it shows.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    I know, it just felt too disjointed, depressed and unsure of itself (SNW was even more cautious, though). White Pony has always sounded ambitious to me as it was, to quote Chino, "the record that almost killed us". S/T was the aftermath of their burnout, and it shows.
    Agreed. And the (subjective) fact that (I also find) it's monotonous despite its variety is very telling. "Deathblow" particularly overstays its welcome for me. "Lovers" is a far better choice, and I think they made a massive mistake there.

Still, lots of great material. It's just hard to listen to the whole thing in one go. None of their other albums have that problem imo.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I still haven't given Gore a thorough listen yet, but where does it generally stand compared to their others? Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan were really fresh, confident moves for the band, so I think I'm more anxious to give Gore the chance it needs lest it turns out to be Saturday Night Wrist.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Still, lots of great material. It's just hard to listen to the whole thing in one go. None of their other albums have that problem imo.
    Omfg. This. I thought I was the only one. Also, doesn't it remind you of the Strapping Young Lad S/T? It's relentlessly (pun intended) monotonous, the lyrics are nasty and full of hatred, it's hard to listen to all of it in one go, Dev wasn't that involved with its production and dislikes its sound, there's lots of red in the cover, it's self-titled, it was released in 2003... holy shit.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clownboat View Post
    I still haven't given Gore a thorough listen yet, but where does it generally stand compared to their others? Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan were really fresh, confident moves for the band, so I think I'm more anxious to give Gore the chance it needs lest it turns out to be Saturday Night Wrist.
    I find Gore just as fresh as DE and KNY. That's a good word for them – new perspectives on what they do. Gore particularly enunciates the way they use psychedelic sorts of techniques. It's a great ride; more in common with KNY than DE though.

Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Omfg. This. I thought I was the only one. Also, doesn't it remind you of the Strapping Young Lad S/T? It's relentlessly (pun intended) monotonous, the lyrics are nasty and full of hatred, it's hard to listen to all of it in one go, Dev wasn't that involved with its production and dislikes its sound, there's lots of red in the cover, it's self-titled, it was released in 2003... holy shit.
    Haha, I'd never realized the parallel before, but you're right on the money. And the weakest in their respective catalogues (imo again).

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm gonna say it... I really love the self titled album. White Pony will always be my #1. But 2nd goes to Self Titled though I wish they kept Lovers as its name.

Some of my favorite songs are extra/b-side/non-album tracks... fucking love The Boys Republic and Lovers, both are album material.
    Last edited by neorev; 09-25-2016 at 08:41 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    well, i really got into deftones with ATF though i didn't like it at first, I thoroughly enjoyed WP as well, first time seeing them on that tour (twice) but I do have a sweet spot for s/t, it's got its own personality and doesn't rehash the previous two, gotta like that or at least give them credit for that.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    self titled has a certain beautiful quality that's kind of unique in their catalog. something about the way the depressing vibe mixes with all the big shimmery guitars just really clicked with me at the time (what can I say, I'm a child of Siamese Dream). i'll never forget this one night way back then when i stayed at a hospital all night blasting "moana" on repeat in my headphones till the sun came up. there's some serious catharsis to be found in that record. to be honest, it might be my favorite of theres, or at least tied with WP.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I'll also state it and stand by it again but Saturday Night Wrist is my favorite album!

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Funny, i heard "Self-titled" again a couple of weeks ago and re-appreciated it...

I remember i used to love "Minerva" and "Battle Axe", but hated all the rest, it took me a few years to appreciate what they were doing and the mood of the album.
    "When Girls Telephone Boys"; "Bloody Cape" and specially "Anniversary of an uninteresting event" are standout tracks, i think they are up to par with some of White Pony's best.
    "Saturday Night Wrist" is better, but i do think "Self Titled" is an awesome transitional album, god i wish we could listen to "Eros" so we can get a whole picture of their sound evolution...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Almost got to meet Chino last Sunday...unfortunately I took a picture of him and another dude instead of me. He went to the soundbooth for the Misfits reunion in Chicago, so he was right behind me with the lead singer of Slayer, and the drummer from Mastodon. I don't know who else was back there, but it was loaded with people/band members.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Agreed. And the (subjective) fact that (I also find) it's monotonous despite its variety is very telling. "Deathblow" particularly overstays its welcome for me. "Lovers" is a far better choice, and I think they made a massive mistake there.

Deathblow is my #1 fav deftones song haha

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    clearly...

1. Saturday Night Wrist
    2. White Pony
    3. Koi No Yokan
    4. Diamond Eyes
    5. Around the Fur
    6. Deftones
    7. Gore
    8. Adrenaline

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    1. Koi No Yokan
    2. Gore
    3. White Pony
    4. Diamond Eyes
    5. Saturday Night Wrist
    6. Around The Fur
    7. Self-Titled
    8. Adrenaline

Man, people are all over the place. I guess we can all agree that Adrenaline is the worst?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    no way man. I'm an old-school Deftones fan. Around The Fur, White Pony, Adrenaline in that order. Then we can debate everything else. Probably Diamond Eyes next.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Here we go again. Again.

01 WP
    02 SNW
    03 ATF
    04 KNY
    05 DE
    06 Gore
    07 S/T
    08 A

Mentioned