Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: The COVID-19 coping thread

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I'm sorry. That's so difficult to deal with, especially right now. I hope she heals up quickly.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    I didn't post it at first but...

A few weeks ago my oma fell and broke a hip. She's in her 70s. She had surgery, recovered and went home. And then a few days ago she fell again and broke her other hip. This time she doesn't get any visitors (and she only had one at a time last time). I think she'll make it through like last time, but this also shows that she shouldn't really be at home any more (she's also in the earlier stages of Alzheimer's disease).
    That’s horrible to have it happen twice in a row. My partner’s grandmother broke her hip after we got the carpets cleaned and she made a full recovery despite surgery risks. Hell, she accidentally locked herself out of her place last week and climbed in somehow through the window. I’m sure she has a strong will and will pull through.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Re: coping. I’ve been watching retro game play throughs. While the original Golden Axe is a classic, something about the music of part 3 always holds a special place in my heart:

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Sending positive vibes your way @zero & @MrLobster . I don't think you can beat yourself up over being angry or feeling weak. This whole situation is frustrating and scary. Especially with little control over everything.

<3

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    So I left California on my 40th Birthday and drove across the country to be closer to my family in Georgia. I was supposed to sign a lease in Atlanta, in this rad warehouse loft place. then suddenly all this stuff happened and half a year worth of work I had lined up just went away, Mexico, LA and NYC projects all just cancelled. Combined with the fact that I just spent a ton upgrading my video rigs and another ton between NAMM networking and Moving. this was the perfect storm.

I'm stuck in my sisters basement. lol.

But I'm ok. working on music that I havent had time to work on in ages. Updating my demo reel. Doing some remixes for a couple artists. thankfully I am 99% debt free and have a place to crash. but it is bumming me out a little bit.

I'm glad to be close to my folks too, who need me. the reason I moved back here mostly in the first place.

Mostly I cant wait to get back to work.

yesterday I did close a deal for a small video business card. so that has me feeling optimistic.
    Last edited by DVYDRNS; 04-12-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

https://hopeversushaterecords.bandcamp.com/

the compilation i'm on is out today!!!

£8 gets you 56 songs (over five hours of music!) and the money goes to amnesty international UK.

really proud to be a part of this with a bunch of amazing artists, all of whom are working to make the metal world a place free of facism, racism, sexism, and all of the other things that are inherently awful.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    There's probably many similar videos nowadays, this channel I follow and "trust" let's say and is about recording music, but this one is for everyone out there.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Well, we are still awaiting covid test results for my son. No idea why it's taking longer than they promised. But not a damn thing I can do about the delay so ...

Easter this weekend. The church I attend started live stream services many weeks ago when our state recommended social distancing. While it's not the same feeling as gathering together as a group, it is in some aspects more uniting, as we have a shared purpose to keep each other safe.

I feel very sorrowful when I read news stories about churches who intend to defy social distance guidelines and hold live Easter services. While I can relate to and understand the strong urge to gather together and worship, I have a very difficult time understanding how people can be so shallow and ignorant.

Love thy neighbor is a very basic Christian tenet. Passing the coronavirus to your neighbor is most certainly not a form of love. Duh.

Thou shalt not tempt the Lord is another basic Christian belief. This means that you must do your best to stay safe and use common sense, instead of doing crazy shit that is very risky, and then expecting God to save you from your stupidity.

Please do not judge those of us who have faith in our religion by comparing us to the lost souls who simply do not understand.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    My husband's sisters are freaking out how we aren't able to celebrate Easter tomorrow with their parents. They're all texting how we should go visit their parents, but sit outside in the backyard 6 feet apart. The whole thing is ludicrous. We're telling them no, just fucking get over it - we're not going to go. His sisters haven't texted him back ;-/

I really hope people don't do that same thing.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I don't think it's the worst idea, provided food isn't shared and everyone stays a good distance away. My next door neighbor has been chatting with my mom from the sidewalk while my mom has been on the driveway, a good 10 ft apart. One night they sat outside and had wine while they caught up.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    My mother-in-law finally told everyone not to come to the house.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Good News: My son's covid test came back negative. Was finally able to score some yeast and flour (target had flour!) so we have the bread thing happening. And my wife somehow found some sourdough starter so that's about to enhance the bread magic. Planted some seeds in the veg garden today so fresh lettuce and spinach and peas should be forthcoming.

Bad News: I am annoyed that my son picked a horrible time to come down with the common cold and scare the shit out of us. I understand this is absolutely irrational, but the emotional roller coaster of dealing with this pandemic is completely overwhelming. Rational thought is just some fuzzy fantasy which only occurred in the distant past. And when I was planting seeds it almost seemed futile, because I might not even be alive when harvest time comes. I am not normally that pessimistic.

Doctor Google suggested PTSD as a diagnosis, but that's something which happens after a significant event. I just know that I need something stronger that sourdough bread to rescue me.

Tried starting some projects which had been on hold untill I had time, but concentration and focus are simply not there. Also tried reaching out to some friends I had not contacted in ages, only to discover they no longer want to be associated with me as they have "grown", or they are dead. How fucking depressing.
    Last edited by zero; 04-11-2020 at 09:45 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @Jinsai , maybe she’s having some kind of mental breakdown?

This thing is really taking a huge toll on people’s mental health.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The last day or so has been terrible for my mental state. Caring for the newborn means lack of sleep, and lack of certainty whether my gf and I will even have jobs when we're supposed to come back from parental leave. Our workplaces are generally pretty great but they realistically are too small and have too little cash flow to keep everyone on salary with their business essentially closed down for at least half a year, even with help from government bailouts. The thing that's keeping me going is the sense that this is just going to be a bad year, people have survived worse in our families and come through intact. But it's still incredibly stressful to think about what's waiting for us on the other side of all this upheaval.
    Last edited by botley; 04-12-2020 at 02:36 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    But congrats on the newborn! Babies are good company in this.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    @botley , it is maybe good timing to at least dedicate yourself 100% to the new baby, and not have to worry about how to take care of the newborn while you have to work. I'm not diminishing the stress of the situation, but there's a little bit of a silver lining there I hope.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Tried starting some projects which had been on hold untill I had time, but concentration and focus are simply not there. Also tried reaching out to some friends I had not contacted in ages, only to discover they no longer want to be associated with me as they have "grown", or they are dead. How fucking depressing.
    That really makes me want to give you a real-life hug. I’ll be your friend!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Thanks @Tom and @Jinsai , it is good having this much time with the little bean early on. The thing that stresses me out is we'll be blowing through our savings doing so, if/when the axe falls. Going to find out in the next week or so.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Thanks @Tom and @Jinsai , it is good having this much time with the little bean early on. The thing that stresses me out is we'll be blowing through our savings doing so, if/when the axe falls. Going to find out in the next week or so.
    I still can’t believe you had a baby! When did this happen!? In a pandemic! I’m so happy for you and your gf!

A wonderful bright spot in such a crazy time. <3

(Yes, it’s uncertain, but it’s often uncertain. I bet you are smart enough to come up with an alternative source in the meantime. This is a time of great ingenuity.)
    Last edited by allegro; 04-12-2020 at 08:50 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I want to wish everyone here a very good Easter and I am giving you ALL a big electronic HUG.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I wish you a happy easter, even though mine has started off kinda shitty... dealing with family during this pandemic is rough

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I'm just fed up. It's only been three weeks, and I'm wondering how this is going to carry on until possibly...*checks notes* June? I think that would be the responsible timeline. I'm sure the angry orange cheeto will be foolish and 'open the economy' sooner...leading to another lockdown in one month time....

I wish I could call a truce with my mother and just agree to live on one side of the house away from her. She's bitten my head off and not had the presence of mind to see it and apologize. I've at least pulled myself back and apologised. Today she did a curbside pickup from Walmart, and of course they fucked half the order. I went to the garage to deal with stuff; I trust myself over her given my professional background, and she snapped at me again.

I finally called her out on her bullshit for the last two weeks. Now I'm hiding in the study....working, because it's the only thing that makes me feel worthwhile. I probably worked on a project for 6-7 hours yesterday because I have fuck all to do or I'll go insane. I know I'm very lucky to have a job/ income. I'm shocked I scored the perfect job for me right as this shit went down.

I have no social life anyway. I was hoping to get one, once I had a job and could afford to go out and meet people/ try that whole thing. So I'm stuck either working or sitting around on the internet. I've basically been alone since November. I'm naturally introverted, but I'm at the point when I can actually say I'm lonely. I'm starting to feel pathetic. I know if I take into consideration my whole situation, I'm not...but yah. Feelings are a bitch.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Today it occurred to me that perhaps I have set unrealistic expectations for myself. This global crisis is epic. Expecting myself to simply adjust and remain even keeled is absurd. It's acceptable to feel displaced, angered, and completely helpless. The important thing is to not give up, and remain faithful that this too will pass. And it most certainly will pass, even though much sadness must be experienced before it's over.

Please understand that I am thankful for the kind wishes and thoughtful advice forum members have offered here. Even when I fell off the tracks a few times. Easter blessings or greetings for all (take your pick)!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Here are some random songs/videos that have been cheering me up...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I still can’t believe you had a baby! When did this happen!? In a pandemic! I’m so happy for you and your gf!

A wonderful bright spot in such a crazy time. <3

(Yes, it’s uncertain, but it’s often uncertain. I bet you are smart enough to come up with an alternative source in the meantime. This is a time of great ingenuity.)
    Thanks. Yep, it's weird, but how the fuck was I supposed to know this would've happened back in June when we got knocked up? Haha! I am very tired.
    Last edited by botley; 04-13-2020 at 01:52 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Things are finally starting to settle in after being forced out of my apartment.

My landlord raised my rent 100 dollars for no reason other than "As of May you would have been here a year, I think that is fair. " Going against what our initial agreement was, which was taking care of his pool that would knock off 100 dollars since I couldn't afford the original asking price of 1400 dollars for a small studio apartment. He literally said to me when I approached him to talk about the situation that "You're crying over 100 dollars." Living on a strict budget, that is a lot of money to me. The noise is beyond ridiculous and I understand it is his home, but you have to at least be considerate when your tenant and his kid are trying to sleep and the piano is being played at 11pm on a Tuesday night by a drunken friend. Mind you the piano is set right against the adjacent wall where we sleep...

Bringing this problem up in a very calm manner, he says with a smug smirk on his face "Well it's my house, I'll do whatever I want." Starts blaming me for things that are completely fabricated which just confused me even more. I am such a quiet person and I keep to myself most of the time, so I had no choice but to move out. Thankfully I was able to move into my parents house for the time being, but being a Pool Technician on Long Island is horrifying during this pandemic. So I had to tell my boss I wasn't coming in due to the fact that I can't risk my mother or step fathers lives while I'm there.

Thankfully he was very understanding and said come back when you're ready, depending on what develops over time of course, with pool openings not being considered essential so work can stop at any time. Having to move and deal with a very stressful situation has taken a toll on me, and I'm really trying to cope with all this negative energy I've taken in these past two weeks.

Ugh thank whoever is up there for Echoingthesound... Feel more comfortable talking about this here than with anyone other than my girl.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Things are finally starting to settle in after being forced out of my apartment.

My landlord raised my rent 100 dollars for no reason other than "As of May you would have been here a year, I think that is fair. " Going against what our initial agreement was, which was taking care of his pool that would knock off 100 dollars since I couldn't afford the original asking price of 1400 dollars for a small studio apartment. He literally said to me when I approached him to talk about the situation that "You're crying over 100 dollars." Living on a strict budget, that is a lot of money to me. The noise is beyond ridiculous and I understand it is his home, but you have to at least be considerate when your tenant and his kid are trying to sleep and the piano is being played at 11pm on a Tuesday night by a drunken friend. Mind you the piano is set right against the adjacent wall where we sleep...

Bringing this problem up in a very calm manner, he says with a smug smirk on his face "Well it's my house, I'll do whatever I want." Starts blaming me for things that are completely fabricated which just confused me even more. I am such a quiet person and I keep to myself most of the time, so I had no choice but to move out. Thankfully I was able to move into my parents house for the time being, but being a Pool Technician on Long Island is horrifying during this pandemic. So I had to tell my boss I wasn't coming in due to the fact that I can't risk my mother or step fathers lives while I'm there.

Thankfully he was very understanding and said come back when you're ready, depending on what develops over time of course, with pool openings not being considered essential so work can stop at any time. Having to move and deal with a very stressful situation has taken a toll on me, and I'm really trying to cope with all this negative energy I've taken in these past two weeks.

Ugh thank whoever is up there for Echoingthesound... Feel more comfortable talking about this here than with anyone other than my girl.
    that sucks, dude, i'm so sorry.
    also, had no idea what you did for work, and definitely had no idea you had a kid!
    hope y'all stay safe and healthy, glad you'll still have a job when all this is over.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    that sucks, dude, i'm so sorry.
    also, had no idea what you did for work, and definitely had no idea you had a kid!
    hope y'all stay safe and healthy, glad you'll still have a job when all this is over.
    Thanks bud! So grateful for having the job I have right now. Yea there are personal reasons as to why there aren't pics of him on my stuff, he's 8 and he hates social media... Go figure lol. It was a pretty terrible experience, but he's with his mom more unfortunately :/. Throwing those positive vibes right back you guys!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    My mother has continued the childish behavior of not speaking to me, which is great. What's really annoying is that she's banging all sorts of shit in the kitchen, and I have phone calls/ video conferences that I do in the study off to the side of the kitchen. Fucking hell.

I'm taking solace in music and work to be done.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Ok, just found these AMAZING videos to maybe bring a bit more cheer...