Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: The Apple Thread

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    iPhone SE (2) just got announced, up for pre-order starting friday. i am so fucking excited because i don't really like my Xr, the original SE is my fav phone i've ever owned, and apparently i can get up to $300 trade-in credit for my Xr. unfortunately, i have $285 left to pay off on the Xr, so i'm not sure how that works? i hate the way cell carriers operate.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Old, But I think I just got hit with this or a newer version of it, 2019 Apple Wallet breach between banks and Apple Pay. My 2 CCs that otherwise have no relationship both began receiving identical charges from Valero Gas stations in the same south Texas cities. Careful with those debit cards on Apple Pay, shame bc it's SO convenient!

During that dig, I came across something from earlier this month. iPhone Camera/Mic takeover discovered. Perhaps a lot of this is no-brainier don't trust technology/big brother etc but thought it interesting nonetheless.

To cut a very long and technical story short: Pickren found a total of seven zero-day vulnerabilities in Safari (CVE-2020-3852, CVE-2020-3864, CVE-2020-3865, CVE-2020-3885, CVE-2020-3887, CVE-2020-9784, & CVE-2020-9787) of which three could be used in the camera hacking kill chain. The vulnerabilities involved the way that Safari parsed Uniform Resource Identifiers, managed web origins and initialized secure contexts. Yes, this involved tricking a user into visiting a malicious website. Still, that website could then directly access the camera provided it had previously trusted a video conferencing site such as Zoom, for example. "A bug like this shows why users should never feel totally confident that their camera is secure," Pickren said, "regardless of operating system or manufacturer."

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

It just gets worse and worse... Apple are a bunch of pricks.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    so the AppleTV has two different places to turn on audio compression (one in the audio settings menu, one in the dropdown menu while watching something where you can also turn on subtitles). recently, we've started having completely random volume fluctuations. my surround receiver also has a compressor that can be turned on, but it wasn't (and didn't help if i DID turn it on). eventually i tried changing the audio output format of the appletv from "auto" to "dolby digital 5.1" and it seems to have fixed the issue? i'm not sure. but it's been driving us fucking nuts.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i'm not sure. but it's been driving us fucking nuts.
    Probably not related but you're not alone in it driving people nutty...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    no that's definitely a thing...but i'm talking about mid-program. i.e. yesterday we were watching an episode of Face/Off that started out nicely loud and balanced...but after we paused it to pee and came back...the levels dropped significantly AND became inconsistent. maybe there's something wrong with my surround receiver :/

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    no that's definitely a thing...but i'm talking about mid-program. i.e. yesterday we were watching an episode of Face/Off that started out nicely loud and balanced...but after we paused it to pee and came back...the levels dropped significantly AND became inconsistent. maybe there's something wrong with my surround receiver :/
    What is your audio chain?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    What is your audio chain?
    nothing fancy

appleTV -> hdmi -> yamaha surround receiver -> 5.1 speaker setup

i'm starting to wonder if it's an issue with the surround receiver (it's getting up there in age) because it seems like it's also happening on other inputs. we just tend to watch the appleTV most of the time, so i hadn't noticed it on other inputs. but i'm watching iron man 2 right now on blu-ray and it's happening. hopefully my dad has an extra receiver sitting in the garage i can take because i absolutely cannot afford a new one right now.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    nothing fancy

appleTV -> hdmi -> yamaha surround receiver -> 5.1 speaker setup

i'm starting to wonder if it's an issue with the surround receiver (it's getting up there in age) because it seems like it's also happening on other inputs. we just tend to watch the appleTV most of the time, so i hadn't noticed it on other inputs. but i'm watching iron man 2 right now on blu-ray and it's happening. hopefully my dad has an extra receiver sitting in the garage i can take because i absolutely cannot afford a new one right now.
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. How is the TV connected and where does that fit in on the chain (input/output)? Are you using HDMI with or without ARC/eARC? What devices are hardwired to the modem/router?

I'm thinking you're hitting a bandwidth cap on the data transfer for your HDMI standard. This could possibly be fixed with a cable upgrade assuming everything isn't too old and still receives firmware updates. You can look more into how Apple TV handles ARC/eARC and HDMI 2.1 if you're interested. Again, if you just want to try something (for under $20), try replacing with an HDMI 2.1 cable (they're the ones marketed as 8K, blah blah blah).

Prices for 4K HDTVs with full 2.1 compatibility should be taking a dive this Q4.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Regarding all this Apple vs Epic shit.

I side with apple in all of this stupidity.
    they built the platform, and gave everyone access to it. for a fee. these developers willingly chose to jump on board, and gained access to MILLIONS of clients. now they want more? please.

Go build your own platform. Not like this was some bait and switch situation. They all knew what they signed up for and it made them all a LOT of money.Fair and square. Its apples house. if they dont like the rules, theres the door.
    Last edited by DVYDRNS; 08-26-2020 at 09:44 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. How is the TV connected and where does that fit in on the chain (input/output)? Are you using HDMI with or without ARC/eARC? What devices are hardwired to the modem/router?

I'm thinking you're hitting a bandwidth cap on the data transfer for your HDMI standard. This could possibly be fixed with a cable upgrade assuming everything isn't too old and still receives firmware updates. You can look more into how Apple TV handles ARC/eARC and HDMI 2.1 if you're interested. Again, if you just want to try something (for under $20), try replacing with an HDMI 2.1 cable (they're the ones marketed as 8K, blah blah blah).

Prices for 4K HDTVs with full 2.1 compatibility should be taking a dive this Q4.
    appleTV is hard-wired into the router. no ARC of any kind. TV (LG plasma monitor) gets video from the HDMI out port of the yamaha surround receiver. definitely don't have anything close to HDMI 2.1 cables as nothing i have is even 4K capable (the appletv is one of the models that looks and acts like a 4K but only goes up to 1080p...which is fine because my TV's native resolution is around 720). i'll see if my dad has any "nice" HDMI cables laying around in the garage next time i'm at the house that i can snag.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    Regarding all this Apple vs Epic shit.

I side with apple in all of this stupidity.
    they built the platform, and gave everyone access to it. for a fee. these developers willingly chose to jump on board, and gained access to MILLIONS of clients. now they want more? please.

Go build your own platform. Not like this was some bait and switch situation. They all knew what they signed up for and it made them all a LOT of money.Fair and square. Its apples house. if they dont like the rules, theres the door.
    Epic did wrong but it doesn't change the fact that the way Apple runs things is a bunch of bullshit. You can't even side load apps with Apple unless you jailbreak and that's bunk.

A lot of people have been comparing this to physical stores in shopping malls that have to pay rent in order to use the space.

Do the mall owners also end up making a cut off of all the individual purchases made from within each store though?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Do the mall owners also end up making a cut off of all the individual purchases made from within each store though?
    Actually, yes! That’s very common in commercial leases, particularly mall leases. There’s base rent, then a percentage of sales after a certain set threshold.

Edit: Here, see this: https://www.thebalancesmb.com/averag...l-rent-3515423
    Last edited by allegro; 08-30-2020 at 01:10 AM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Actually, yes! That’s very common in commercial leases, particularly mall leases. There’s base rent, then a percentage of sales after a certain set threshold.

Edit: Here, see this: https://www.thebalancesmb.com/averag...l-rent-3515423
    Blowing my damn mind. Thanks!

Well that certainly puts the kibosh on that argument lol

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    welcome to capitalism. you might not like the rules, but if you wanna play the game, you agree to them. if you dont want to play by the rules, go and build your own platform. or focus on your product and make your money and be happy. pick your battles. and while picking those battles, dont pick the wrong side.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    welcome to capitalism. you might not like the rules, but if you wanna play the game, you agree to them. if you dont want to play by the rules, go and build your own platform. or focus on your product and make your money and be happy. pick your battles. and while picking those battles, dont pick the wrong side.
    Rejecting Apple as rejecting capitalism? I could be misunderstanding, but everything you do to escape capitalism just ends up reinforcing it as those rules are non-negotiable. You can think you're winning a battle (by building your platform) but you're fighting a losing war- you're fucked either way so you might as we'll play the stock market and go get a jetski.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

that's actually pretty neat. Lots of options in there as well. Not sure how I could use it yet but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

unrelated: The fact that volume up + power is screenshot and the buttons are directly opposite from each other means I have a lot of screenshots I have to keep deleting every time I just want to raise the volume.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Thanks for sharing this...had no idea this was a thing. I just set this up for screenshots.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i love the idea of this but because of the size of my phone (XR), i have to hold it weird, and it makes it so my pinky is under the bottom of the phone, and the other four fingers rest on the back. i have no real leverage to comfortably tap the back without re-arranging my grip.

i really, really miss the size of the 5 / original SE. it was perfect. i don't watch anything of importance on my phone so i don't need a screen this big, and i hate how much space it takes up. :/

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    unrelated: The fact that volume up + power is screenshot and the buttons are directly opposite from each other means I have a lot of screenshots I have to keep deleting every time I just want to raise the volume.
    You can customize Assistive Touch to accommodate for screenshots. It's under Accessibility.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    been trying to figure out how to program in Shortcuts but to say i'm not good at coding of any kind would be a vast understatement. i don't like that you have to search for functions instead of just having them listed (like the TEXT box that allows you to enter things like IP addresses for variables).

been trying to set up a shortcut to be able to double tap the back of my phone to automatically set my yamaha to the v-aux input (which we use for both my computer, as well as our analog outboard tuner when we watch svengoolie on saturdays) but because it's an older receiver that doesn't have MusicCast capability, i have to use the AV Controller app to control it over the network, and i can't find an API scheme for those older models (and the stuff i found for MusicCast capable receivers sadly doesn't work).

le sigh.

oh, also, this is amazing:

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    on that note:

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    ^ think that's a bot

however, I am actually thinking about switching to an iphone for the first time. a brief history: was an Apple fanboy back in the day. had a ipod probably in 05 or around there (still have it! )had an OG Macbook in 2006 in college, lasted a good 5 or 6 years but was falling apart towards the end. switched over to Chromebooks and never looked back. I currently have 2: Pixelbook and Pixelbook Go. they're perfect for being a teacher/grad school student like I am. in particular I love the Pixelbook Go, which is like a Macbook Air. I like that the Pixelbook has a tablet mode. I've had an itch to return to ios lately though.

this itch started with getting an offer of 3 free months of apple music and apple tv+ . with my go to music service, google play music coming to an end, and not being happy with it's replacement, youtube music, I figured why the hell not, give it a shot. this means I was dipping my toes back into the apple ecosystem.

the iphone 12 is the first iphone that has caught my attention for whatever reason. I've always had android phones (galaxy nexus, moto x, moto g, lg, galaxy s6, pixel 2, 3xl, and currently pixel 3a ) . but I am really drawn to wanting an iphone now. the notch KILLS me (it's one of the reasons why I got rid of pixel 3xl) but I think I can suck it up. maybe the 13 won't have a notch but I think that's unlikely. I'm also on google fi, which has been a great phone carrier. that'll be interesting to have that service on an iphone.

anyway, just thinking out loud. a bit scared to make the plunge into a new ecosystem to be honest. probably won't get the new iphone (whether it's the 12 or 13) until next year. I think it's time to switch things up.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    seriously, what is it about the notch? I've never understood it because the same time there are complaints about the pinhole camera and/or the bezels. what does the perfect layout look like?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    haha. well,I found it too distracting. I'm not a big video consumer on my phone but I wasn't crazy for how it cut into the screen while viewing. I thought it was rather distracting while looking at work emails. I don't know. I never got used to it, and I thought I would. I don't mind the pinhole camera one bit honestly. I'm not a "no bezels are good" type of guy- I don't mind bezels (so as long as they aren't massive, but that type of tech isn't around anymore, from phones to laptops to tvs) . my current phone has thin top and bottom bezels, but certainly not the thinnest.

tech talk is really weird in 2020 I'm realizing hah!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    seriously, what is it about the notch?
    I don't get it either. I've had a Xr for two years now and I like the notch. The clock, wifi / signal, battery all tuck inside the spaces to left and right. If whatever app you're using doesn't account for the notch then it's a developer problem not a notch problem.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I'm sure I'll get over it quicker on an iphone. It seems less intrusive than the one I previously had, and it serves a good purpose with faceunlock. Looks a lot more sleek on the iphone if I'm being honest with myself.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i haven't actually been excited about any new model of iphone in a long time, but i am SO PUMPED for the iphone 12 mini. flat sides? smaller phone that will actually fit in my pocket? FUCK YES.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I traded my XR for my sons OG SE so that I can buy myself the 12 mini when it comes out. He's going from a 32GB to 256GB and a better battery/processor/screen size and I get a smaller phone for a couple weeks until the mini is shipped. win win I say.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    ...and it serves a good purpose with faceunlock.
    I was really hoping the new iPhones would feature the TouchID button the new iPads have but no dice. FaceID is decent and seems secure but functionally it leaves something to be desired when wearing sunglasses and, now, a mask. That said it's not going to stop me from getting a 12 Pro in a few weeks.