Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Stone Temple Pilots

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Watched the new(er) David Bowie documentary 5 Years on Showtime and it is GENUINELY scary how much Scott Weiland tries to be like Bowie. His mannerisms on stage, interviews, how he dresses, speaks, his hair...

Even looking back at the 90's, ie. the Sour Girl music video...has bowie written all over it.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    purple is one of my favorite records, i worried that i'd wear my copy out so i had to kind of schedule when i'd play it. i love every song, even army ants. i like it a lot, actually. i had no idea it was so polarizing.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm more of a fan of the stuff from the late 90s. Those albums don't get enough credit. Love Shangri La Dee Da.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I've always liked "Army Ants", too. I never knew people hated it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Chester has left STP to focus on Linkin Park. Hardly a surprise. Saw Chester with STP twice and was very impressed, and I generally don't like Linkin Park. I enjoyed their EP and thought this lineup had some real potential.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I still love the first three STP albums.
    The other three with Weiland have there moments but I think they just lost there way a bit. I don't think Weiland helped at all.

I was hoping to see an album out of this new lineup but I'm not sure where the rest of STP go from here...

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Those three need to give it up and form some other project. Chester has always been 100% dedicated to LP, so if another project was getting in the way of that - even if it was a childhood dream of his - then that would be the one sent packing. I think they had a lot of potential with Chester, but the legal shit with Weiland and the glacial pace of their writing in the past few years (that EP seriously came out over two years ago and there's been nothing since). I probably wouldn't want to deal with Weiland either.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I was thinking he had a few years left if he was able to get his shit together. Still, I'm just really gutted by this. Purple is my favorite STP album as my sister and I loved "Vaseline" as we knew the words to the song. "Big Empty" is my favorite song of theirs while I also love "Barbarella" that Scott did as it introduced me to The Man Who Fell to Earth. This one really fucking hurts.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Drugs, alcohol, who knows what. Not surprised due to his destructive life style and antics but I am surprised from the random occurrence. RIP.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Yes, unsurprising, but somehow still shocking. I'm feeling pretty deflated right now. Really hoping that the STP moniker will be laid to rest at this point, as well. It just seems right after all that's happened to the legacy already.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I saw Scott this past March in Boston and he put on a great show. I really thought that Scott was getting his life together and was surprised to hear he died. Loved his music, saw him many times live, this really sucks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Man, it's been one hell of a rough week. Scott was one of pioneers of the grunge genre and his legacy is cemented in music history. Sad to hear his demons got the best of him, life isn't easy no matter who you are. RIP

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Scott may be one of the most underrated singe/songwriters from the past 25 years. So many great songs and albums.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Such a shame . So many good songs I still rock out to to this day. RIP man <3.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    fuck that hits hard. really love this man and never had the chance to catch him live... not surprising but still a little out of nowhere. RIP Mr Weiland.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I feel really sad about this, why did grunge seem to attract a lot of tragic figures?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    When I saw Scott this past March, I was maybe 10-15 away, same two years ago too. These shows take on new meaning for me now. So glad I attended.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Can't say I'm really surprised by this. Still sucks a lot though. He was amazing and talented. He had his problems though.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    From Aaron Harris FB: "When I think of Scott Weiland I think of the time that Chino Moreno told me that he sang on the Deftones track "RX Queen." I had never noticed it, but after Chino told me about it, it's all I can hear in that song. Give it a listen and see if you can hear Scott. Such a distinct voice. RIP."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Yeah this one hurts. RIP brother, RIP.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I'm so mad at Scott over this. What the fuck dude, what the FUCK.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    He was who he was. And he was also one of greatest rock vocalists of the 90s. He had his problems though. Maybe it just caught up to him. Years of using can take its toll. My argument to any who assume he overdosed. Been seeing a lot of OD remarks on facebook, etc. No one knows what happened. It's a damn shame though.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Core & purple will always be classics to me. So sad.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    Core & purple will always be classics to me. So sad.
    They're all classics, imo. Listening to Shangri-la-dee-da now.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I was really sad to hear the news this morning. Scott made some of my favorite music of all time. I'm a huge STP fan, one of my top three favorite bands, their music is always in rotation on my stereo.

I was fortunate enough to be able to see them three times. I enjoyed all three shows, but the first one was the best. I saw them in 2000 and at the time I was a lapsed fan who was there for the other bands. I thought I would be kind of bored with their show but by the end of their opening song ("Dead and Bloated"...what an amazing way to start a show) I was a fan again. By the end I was completely in love. They blew the roof off the place, and being able to see them, and especially Scott, at their height was amazing.

The last two shows I saw with them I was really close to the stage (the first one on the floor, maybe 10 feet from the stage, the other being the third row when the played the fair of all places). Seeing Scott sing "Creep" just a few feet away from me is one of my favorite concert memories.

So, yeah. This sucks. I can't say I was shocked because I know he's battled addiction for years but it's still very sad. I was hoping that maybe he'd get his stuff together and reunite with STP at some point. My sister is a huge fan and never got the chance to see them live, so I was hoping maybe I could take her if they ever went back on tour together He used to be amazing live. Here's him at his absolute prime: ).

I'll be watching the STP live Blu-ray after work today, for sure, as well as probably listening to the first three albums over the weekend.
    Last edited by theruiner; 12-04-2015 at 01:49 PM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Just heard "Tiny Music..." a couple of weeks ago and i still love that album, so sad to read these news today, he will be missed, RIP

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Aw, fucking hell.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I am an STP fan, but I have to say that 12 Bar Blues was his masterpiece (for me). It was so brave and experimental and personal.

Sad news indeed. RIP my friend.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    This one really hurts. I'll never forget April 19th, 2002. STP played at Trump Marina and they opened with "Shine On You, Crazy Diamond". Scott strolled out in a 3-piece, white suit smoking a cigarette. I don't think I've ever seen another man look so cool. Plus Layne Staley had just died and Scott said a couple words about that before breaking into "Still Remains" (which is one of the most underrated STP songs). I will also never forget May, 26th, 2004. Velvet Revolver played at Roseland Ballroom before Contraband even came out. The encore was "Negative Creep" by Nirvana which took a lot of balls. Scott absolutely nailed it. I don't think I've ever heard someone pull off Kurt so well.

He's obviously been in pretty rough shape over the past couple of years and the quality of voice deteriorated quite a bit (starting with Libertad). But it's still really tough to swallow. "Dying with your face on a t-shirt isn't all that original".

PS- I encourage anyone who hasn't heard it to go listen to the Limp Bizkit song "Hold On". I know, I know, LB is super lame. But that song kicks serious ass and it holds extra weight now. Scott wrote it with Wes Borland.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Today when I went on my 3 mile run the first song that played on my Pandora was "Big Empty" and later "Vasoline" came on; Very sad news. I wouldn't consider myself anything more than a casual fan but I had the pleasure of seeing them a few years ago at Memorial Stadium during Bumbershoot. It was an amazing show despite them coming on about 45 minutes late, Scott and the band was on point the whole night glad I got to see them. RIP Scott!