Page 35 of 61 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1827

Thread: Puscifer

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    One of the most awkward things is watching someone who is so utterly confident in how funny they are when they couldn't be more wrong.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    A lot of people, myself included, think that style itself is funny so

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    One of the most awkward things is watching someone who is so utterly confident in how funny they are when they couldn't be more wrong.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=unjoke

It's only awkward if you don't get it.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=unjoke

It's only awkward if you don't get it.
    Well, what that link is describing is an 'anti-joke' but that really has nothing to do with what Maynard does. He's making actual jokes. He drew an ejaculating penis on a map in that video and shook his face around in front of it like he was on the receiving end of a money shot.

But I'm just being pedantic, I think Maynard is funny enough. They aren't anti-jokes though.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Do they sell fake moustaches at Puscifer shows?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Saw them last night in Akron. Fantastic show. I was expecting a really slow and measured setlist punctuated with Luchafer gags but it moved at a great pace. Everyone was on point. The show was fluid. I actually got the impression that anyone on stage was enjoying themselves. Except Mat Mitchell who has no facial expressions.

Also, the crowd was pretty cool. A lot of people late 20s and older who actually wanted to be there for the show. A lot of people were content to sit and let the whole thing. There weren't a lot of them, but there were a few younger meat heads who spent the time shouting "Tool!" and shouting out Tool song names.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    Saw them last night in Akron. Fantastic show. I was expecting a really slow and measured setlist punctuated with Luchafer gags but it moved at a great pace. Everyone was on point. The show was fluid. I actually got the impression that anyone on stage was enjoying themselves. Except Mat Mitchell who has no facial expressions.

Also, the crowd was pretty cool. A lot of people late 20s and older who actually wanted to be there for the show. A lot of people were content to sit and let the whole thing. There weren't a lot of them, but there were a few younger meat heads who spent the time shouting "Tool!" and shouting out Tool song names.
    The clearly inaccurate setlist on setlist.fm shows them having played Green Valley in Akron....total lies from someone who clearly has no idea what they're talking about, or did they actually pull that one out last night?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Puscifer

The clearly inaccurate setlist on setlist.fm shows them having played Green Valley in Akron....total lies from someone who clearly has no idea what they're talking about, or did they actually pull that one out last night?
    Complete and utter lies. I haven't seen any of the other set lists but I'm sure they're pretty identical Spoiler: have they been playing Flippant regularly?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Complete and utter lies. I haven't seen any of the other set lists but I'm sure they're pretty identical Spoiler: have they been playing Flippant regularly?
    Yeah. Spoiler: They modified the setlist a little bit from the last leg. The bad part is they're no longer playing The Undertaker or Polar Bear.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fortysixand2 View Post
    Yeah. Spoiler: They modified the setlist a little bit from the last leg. The bad part is they're no longer playing The Undertaker or Polar Bear.
    Yikes. Spoiler: Polar Bear was my favorite part of the show. I'm glad I could catch it. Also I wonder why the hell they don't play Spoiler: The Mission anymore. That song is a banger.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I was totally okay without Spoiler: The Undertaker. For some reason the live version bores me. I would have kind of liked Spoiler: Polar Bear or The Mission. As it was, going in without knowing the setlist in advance was great. It was kind of a perfect show. Even though I consider some of the songs they played skippable on the album, they were great live.

We were all really pleasantly surprised by Spoiler: The Humbling River. It felt especially poignant because Maynard did a little "I've been known to talk a lot of shit about Ohio but I'm from here and it formed me. So, uh, thanks. I guess." and it was nice to see a show ending on a somber and sincere note rather than a crowd-pleasing heavy-hitter.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Puscifer Poll:

If you have seen them on the Money Shot tour, did the audience at your show:
    A) Stand up as soon as the band came on (if not before)
    B) Stand up when Maynard came down front for the first time and motioned for people to do so
    C) Never quite figure out how to react, and have a weird sit/stand/sit/stand absurdity going on the whole time, or
    D) Stay seated for the whole show

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Puscifer

E) Front section stood up during Act 4, back section remained seated with a few people out in the aisles.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I was about a dozen rows in on the floor (all seating) and there's also a balcony. Everyone around us was standing when the musicians came on (sitting during the rassling), didn't bother to check or look around what people were doing behind me or on the balcony.

Also it was a pretty good/respectful crowd. I saw a handful of people wearing Tool shirts (as should be expected) but there were no "I LOVE YOU MAYNARD!!!!" or "I WANT TO HAVE YOUR BABY" or "PLAY SOME FUCKING TOOL!!!!" shouts during the show.
    Last edited by Krazy; 04-06-2016 at 01:58 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I was about a dozen rows in on the floor (all seating) and there's also a balcony. Everyone around us was standing when the musicians came on (sitting during the rassling), didn't bother to check or look around what people were doing behind me or on the balcony.

Also it was a pretty good/respectful crowd. I saw a handful of people wearing Tool shirts (as should be expected) but there were no "I LOVE YOU MAYNARD!!!!" or "I WANT TO HAVE YOUR BABY" or "PLAY SOME FUCKING TOOL!!!!" shouts during the show.
    Guy beside me kept loudly shouting about how bad Luchafer was and they weren't funny then began requesting Tool songs a la Freebird.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Eat a dick, Buffalo.

The crowd was so bad that Maynard only came to the front of the stage for one song, literally never talked between songs with two exceptions: the word "Buffalo" once between songs early in the set, and simply "thanks for coming, goodnight" before skipping Humbling River, skipping the encore walk off/walk on, and just playing Autumn before calling it a night. One of the funniest gags from the breaks between acts was even cut out. Never introduced the band at all.

I've seen maybe half a dozen shows with MJK with the mic, and this was by far the least enthused he's ever seemed. I can't blame him. The crowd seemed like they were asleep for most of the show. Maybe there was something else at play, but I've been to enough shows (in general) to know that the audience can drastically shift how a performer tackles the gig.

edit: just saw this comment on Facebook from someone. Guess I wasn't imagining things during the first wrestling break:

"Dude came up on stage and quietly sat down next to Maynard on the bleachers. Maynard was up in a flash, pacing and I felt pissed. Dude got thrown out. You had to be in the area to see it. I saw Money Shot #1 and the flow of this show changed after that."
    Last edited by theimage13; 04-06-2016 at 05:25 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Shit, dude. I'm sorry you had such a shit crowd.

I forgot to mention that one of my favorite things was sitting right behind the lighting and mixing booth. Watching them trigger lighting cues was awesome and watching the sound guy trigger Maynard's vocal effects for Breathe (the first one I noticed).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Wasn't planning on seeing the show in Huntington on Saturday, but then my friend came through clutch with 2 free wristbands. Awesome show. The wrestling stuff was silly, but the songs sounded tight. And fucking Paul Barker.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Re; Buffalo. Maynard is responsible for the atmosphere he creates at his shows.

I mean I LOVE the idea of not seeing a sea of phones at the show. I think it's commendable to try and achieve that as an artist. But when you pull your phone out to check a text or a score or the time, and security is up your ass, you are going to have people turned off. It's inevitable. Even though I understand and respect it. You are putting people's back against the wall and creating a tension. Which if you were doing a "serious" rock show might be suitable.

But when you are having fuckin luchadors wrestling and punching each other in the dick, and reiterating a message of comedy comes first, it's completely counter intuitive.

I just don't get what his goals are with this project at all anymore.

I much preferred the vibe of a few tours ago, where it was more music to sit around the campire and drink wine with friends to, and then fuck afterwards. I feel like Money Shot is trying to be tongue in cheek hilarious yet brooding and dark, so it's not ever soft enough to be poignant and not hard enough to register a real response either. It just meanders about, and when they played most of the songs live and then finally got to Humbling River (which I love), it felt completely out of place.

I still enjoyed the show, and the band did sound very tight. Moneyshot has its songs, and it's moments, so it is not without merit. I just think they could try to be a bit more focused moving forward in the type of entertainment and artistry they are trying to present, one way or the other. The tour just felt a bit complacent and lazy to me at times, which I am not used to with this project.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Most people I talked to at the show in Akron were really respectful or maybe snuck one or two pictures. I didn't see anyone get kicked out and the band was extremely involved with every aspect of the performance.

I think Money Shot as an album is actually ALL brooding and dark. I don't think there's any humor in it at all.

Sure, in The Arsonist he uses "Beavis" but it's used to imply compulsion and childishness.

During the show, the "humorous" songs were pressed together during "Act 4" before the walk off/walk on returned to a serious motif.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Puscifer Poll:

If you have seen them on the Money Shot tour, did the audience at your show:
    A) Stand up as soon as the band came on (if not before)
    B) Stand up when Maynard came down front for the first time and motioned for people to do so
    C) Never quite figure out how to react, and have a weird sit/stand/sit/stand absurdity going on the whole time, or
    D) Stay seated for the whole show
    Super late reply but it was a bit of A and C here in Phoenix. But for the most part, I think most of the crowd was standing for the whole show.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by valiantsteed View Post
    Re; Buffalo. Maynard is responsible for the atmosphere he creates at his shows.

I much preferred the vibe of a few tours ago, where it was more music to sit around the campire and drink wine with friends to, and then fuck afterwards. I feel like Money Shot is trying to be tongue in cheek hilarious yet brooding and dark, so it's not ever soft enough to be poignant and not hard enough to register a real response either. It just meanders about, and when they played most of the songs live and then finally got to Humbling River (which I love), it felt completely out of place.

I still enjoyed the show, and the band did sound very tight. Moneyshot has its songs, and it's moments, so it is not without merit. I just think they could try to be a bit more focused moving forward in the type of entertainment and artistry they are trying to present, one way or the other. The tour just felt a bit complacent and lazy to me at times, which I am not used to with this project.
    I've seen the tour twice now. The first show was amazing. Smoke and Mirrors (now gone) plus Autumn for the encore literally gave me goosebumps. It was an unbelievable closing to the show. Every single song on Money Shot was played. Despite never really getting my head wrapped around the theme of the show, it still felt like a solid performance.

But damn, after seeing the "What Is..." release, all I can say is that I wish, I wish, I wish I had been able to make it to that show. Conditions is still my favorite LP from them. The themes in the album just speak to me more so than most of the others, and I absolutely love both the lyrics and instrumentation from start to finish. There was no way for me to make it to a show, so at least it's not like "aw, I should have gone". I was traveling the country for work the whole time and literally could not see any of those dates. Such is life.

And I don't blame Maynard at all for the seemingly "off" performance in Buffalo. For fuck's sake, someone breached security and approached him ON STAGE DURING THE SHOW. Especially in light of Paris, that shit can get under your skin and really throw you off.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Well then...

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Pretty sure that might be Justin MacGrath, I believe he's Mahsa's tech. He was also a tech for NIN. He also makes music called Polyfuse. Cool guy.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Money $hot is a great album with an exceptional tone but I would love the band to go back to V is for Vagina and C is For... stylings.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 04-26-2016 at 09:50 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I'm torn on whether I want to read that or not.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I'm torn on whether I want to read that or not.

Why not? lol

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Why not? lol
    Never meet your heroes and all that.

Plus, I don't know what the tone will be. I don't want to read a Maynard that's no longer interested in metaphor and mystery. Or a Maynard that hides his positive and philosophical side behind Billy D using drugs or hippy-silly characters and jokes.

In an interview I remember him saying he stuck his neck out with eMOTIVe and he felt like fans cut his head off for his honesty. After that, everything from the live intro to Simultaneous to his description of grapes/wine in Blood Into Wine has been a "hippy joke." He makes fun of fans that find philosophy in Tool songs (the latest Bojangles bootleg for instance).

It's just a weird mishmash and I'm not sure I want to read a Maynard that's disillusioned and fed up. Now, if he wants to tell us WHY he sounds disillusioned and fed up, I might wanna read that.