Page 113 of 131 FirstFirst ... 13 63 103 111 112 113 114 115 123 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,390 of 3912

Thread: Shitty Music. (The Nickelback Thread)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    In other news, the hype on this new double Vampire Weekend album can fuck riiiiiiiiiight the fuck off. Fuckin' rich single white boy yacht music. Shit is absolute trash.
    I saw that they have a new album and listened to their new single--meh. Vampire Weekend is a band that I feel completely indifferent towards. They don't bother me, but they do absolutely nothing for me either. They are just really, really, really bland, imho. Never understood the hype about that band.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Man, I can't wait until you guys hear Paul Simon decide he's trash too.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    In other news, the hype on this new double Vampire Weekend album can fuck riiiiiiiiiight the fuck off. Fuckin' rich single white boy yacht music. Shit is absolute trash.
    ”Harmony Hall” sounds like it belongs in the background of a commercial for body wash.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    Paul Simon sucks too

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I've heard people compare Vampire Weekend to Paul Simon. IDK, I don't really hear it. That said, Paul Simon is far better than Vampire Weekend. Those Simon and Garfunkel albums still sound great after 50 years, and I doubt that many people could name a single VW song.

In 2069 I doubt anyone will be talking about Vampire Weekend, but they will still be jamming Mrs. Robinson.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    lol, when I listened to the first VW album all those years ago I thought Paul Simon had found himself a band or something, the singer sounds almost just like him.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    ”Harmony Hall” sounds like it belongs in the background of a commercial for body wash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    This song will end up in a touching Jack in the Box longform ad in which Jack comforts the mentally ill with an FML Bacon & Swiss Buttery Jack combo.
    That fits too!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Vampire Weekend are the Perry Como or Hootie and the Blowfish of indie-rock or just 00's-10's music in general. As vanilla as it gets.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    This band has a song about a musician losing their edge as they fail to gain recognition in which the entire song is told through the metaphor of a soldier at the end of Sakoku era Japan. The song features out of practice idioms related to sword fighting, references to Meiji the Great and Tokugawa Yoshinobu's efforts to reintroduce trade to Japan at the end of the era, and the desire of the soldier to continue doing what he knows despite the obsolescence of his occupation.

So excuse me if I don't find them quite so vanilla or am as quick to dismiss them as trash. If you don't like them, fine, but you can't deny the effort, skill, and creativity it takes to write a song like that.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This band has a song about a musician losing their edge as they fail to gain recognition in which the entire song is told through the metaphor of a soldier at the end of Sakoku era Japan. The song features out of practice idioms related to sword fighting, references to Meiji the Great and Tokugawa Yoshinobu's efforts to reintroduce trade to Japan at the end of the era, and the desire of the soldier to continue doing what he knows despite the obsolescence of his occupation.

So excuse me if I don't find them quite so vanilla or am as quick to dismiss them as trash. If you don't like them, fine, but you can't deny the effort, skill, and creativity it takes to write a song like that.
    Yet, if you're surrounding that with bland, paint by numbers indie pop rock, the message is totally lost, and you spent all that time doing nothing more but stroking your own artistic sensibilities.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Really? Sounds pretty overwrought and pretentious as hell.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Really? Sounds pretty overwrought and pretentious as hell.
    Which is a valid criticism, but also part of why I like them. They're lyrically very dense and cultured, and have many songs about history from around the world. A lot of their songs feel like puzzles for the listener to unlock. Couple that with their obvious inspiration from 70s and 80s African pop music and it makes a pretty good band in my book.

Another good example is their song Step, which is written like a love song, but the girl in the story is music itself, and it dissects the different relationships people have with music. It covers people hoarding their music and becoming angry when their little-known band succeeds, older generations refusing to adapt to newer innovations and styles and assuming all new music is worse than "their" music, and people who mock others for their tastes. In the end, the narrator admits to having been a hoarder but learning to leave those habits and feelings in the past as he ages, while trying not to fall into the other traps that people find themselves in when appreciating music. It's really good. At least, I think so.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Which is a valid criticism, but also part of why I like them. They're lyrically very dense and cultured, and have many songs about history from around the world. A lot of their songs feel like puzzles for the listener to unlock. Couple that with their obvious inspiration from 70s and 80s African pop music and it makes a pretty good band in my book.

Another good example is their song Step, which is written like a love song, but the girl in the story is music itself, and it dissects the different relationships people have with music. It covers people hoarding their music and becoming angry when their little-known band succeeds, older generations refusing to adapt to newer innovations and styles and assuming all new music is worse than "their" music, and people who mock others for their tastes. In the end, the narrator admits to having been a hoarder but learning to leave those habits and feelings in the past as he ages, while trying not to fall into the other traps that people find themselves in when appreciating music. It's really good. At least, I think so.
    It's all good man. I'm glad that you like them and their music connects with you.

Speaking of songs that are dense and cultured and anchored in history that are an enigma in an enigma, could anyone help decipher this song? It's just too subtle and it would be helpful if someone could deconstruct it.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 05-05-2019 at 03:13 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This is one godawful cover. Sweet Jesus this is fucking terrible:

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

S-H-I-T

Also i cannot fucking stop laughing at how pathetic it is that Matt Skiba basically just physically turned himself into Tom. Might as well get his fuckin lip pierced in the same spots too.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I don’t know much about Blink 182 as I generally hate pop punk - but I looked up the lyrics to that song and they are fucking sad, obviously an aural equivalent to a slacker film

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    It's time for another round of How Far Can You Make It Through This Video?

Honestly, when you work tech demos at conventions, and people come up to you asking for free licenses for the software you're representing... a lot of the time, they'll hand you a CD of their music to sweeten the deal.

9 times out of ten, it sounds kinda like this, but worse.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

S-H-I-T

Also i cannot fucking stop laughing at how pathetic it is that Matt Skiba basically just physically turned himself into Tom. Might as well get his fuckin lip pierced in the same spots too.
    Shit, that's a sad, sad video.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I love Skiba's work in Alkaline Trio. Still so weird to see him with Blink. Always thought they were a bit juvenile & lame.

Meanwhile, Ilan Rubin is still drumming for Tom Delonge in Angel & Airwaves...
    Last edited by Soma; 05-06-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Blink-182 & Lil Wayne have announced a tour together. I wonder who set that up??

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)

I once wrote a song called "Lubey Tuesday." On the surface, sure, it seems like a pretty straightforward meditation on how unsalted butter is a poor emergency substitute for sexual lube, and that it was apparently written on a Tuesday, but you'd be missing the deeper subtext. You see, while I was writing the song, I was also in the middle of reading Tale of the Heike and watching the film The Royal Tennenbaums, which (of course) features the song Ruby Tuesday, which is of course where the pun name for my surreptitiously deep song name is derived. I then incorporated some elements of gamelan chanting and slide whistle to pull the entirety forward; mashing together themes from these disparate sources into one single assault on the senses that "sounds" like an ice cream truck is slowly passing your house while the driver is laying on the horn, but then you'd miss the deeper meaning of the song, which really just boils down to "Vampire Weekend is a shitty band that sucks"

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I once wrote a song called "Lubey Tuesday." On the surface, sure, it seems like a pretty straightforward meditation on how unsalted butter is a poor emergency substitute for sexual lube, and that it was apparently written on a Tuesday, but you'd be missing the deeper subtext. You see, while I was writing the song, I was also in the middle of reading Tale of the Heike and watching the film The Royal Tennenbaums, which (of course) features the song Ruby Tuesday, which is of course where the pun name for my surreptitiously deep song name is derived. I then incorporated some elements of gamelan chanting and slide whistle to pull the entirety forward; mashing together themes from these disparate sources into one single assault on the senses that "sounds" like an ice cream truck is slowly passing your house while the driver is laying on the horn, but then you'd miss the deeper meaning of the song, which really just boils down to "Vampire Weekend is a shitty band that sucks"
    I was trying to supply a differing point of view while qualifying my argument. All you've done is is mock the concept of songwriting (or at least discussing songwriting) in general and say a band sucks. What's the point of discussion if that's the response?

Also, I think there's a difference between an analogy specifically comparing two things (a soldier stuck in the past and a musician stuck in the past) and this word salad you've written here.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I was trying to supply a differing point of view while qualifying my argument. All you've done is is mock the concept of songwriting (or at least discussing songwriting) in general and say a band sucks. What's the point of discussion if that's the response?

Also, I think there's a difference between an analogy specifically comparing two things (a soldier stuck in the past and a musician stuck in the past) and this word salad you've written here.
    Wait, your defense of Vampire Weekend wasn't word salad? Sorry, I thought we were exchanging word salad in a humorous fashion. Also, Vampire Weekend fucking sucks, and they can shove their fake ska appreciation right up their collective Vampire ass.

This is the "shitty music" thread, not the "cry about negative opinions" thread. You're the one who condescendingly brought Paul Simon into this shit in a completely unironic way; and you know what? Paul Simon is an asshole who broke Apartheid boycott to make a record, and then he ripped off musicians and then told them "you got a problem? I'm Paul Simon - sue me."

So yeah, fuck him too, and fuck the stupid way he dances.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/los-...raceland-snub/
    Last edited by Jinsai; 05-07-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Wait, your defense of Vampire Weekend wasn't word salad? Sorry, I thought we were exchanging word salad in a humorous fashion. Also, Vampire Weekend fucking sucks, and they can shove their fake ska appreciation right up their collective Vampire ass.

This is the "shitty music" thread, not the "cry about negative opinions" thread. You're the one who condescendingly brought Paul Simon into this shit in a completely unironic way; and you know what? Paul Simon is an asshole who broke Apartheid boycott to make a record, and then he ripped off musicians and then told them "you got a problem? I'm Paul Simon - sue me."

So yeah, fuck him too, and fuck the stupid way he dances.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/los-...raceland-snub/
    Holy shit, man. Well sorry I guess, I wasn't trying to be condescending, just making a comparison that hundreds of others have also made. I didn't know that having a two message long polite debate would elicit such a vitriolic response from someone I wasn't even responding to. Also, it wasn't like I was bringing up Paul Simon while talking about business practices or ethics, I was talking about songwriting, which he is universally praised for. My bad.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Holy shit, man. Well sorry I guess, I wasn't trying to be condescending, just making a comparison that hundreds of others have also made. I didn't know that having a two message long polite debate would elicit such a vitriolic response from someone I wasn't even responding to. Also, it wasn't like I was bringing up Paul Simon while talking about business practices or ethics, I was talking about songwriting, which he is universally praised for. My bad.
    Well, since this is the "shitty music" thread, I'll call Paul Simon insanely overrated musically while I'm at it, and I'll cite, I dunno, Scarborough Fair as being one of the most obnoxious things ever, and not even a thousand Bridge Over Troubled Waters will make up for it.

Even then though, comparing Paul Simon to Vampire Weekend is like comparing Paul Simon to Smash Mouth, or whatever other band sucks that much.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    zecho is a good egg, but that's some funny shit.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 05-07-2019 at 09:09 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'm seriously not meaning to sound like I'm bashing @zecho , I just hate Vampire Weekend

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    zecho is a good egg, but that's some funny shit.
    Agreed, I just laughed at some of @Jinsai ‘s posts. Heh.