Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Tech Questions

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Man. Thank you guys, @ziltoid and @wizfan

What about Software, Browsers and Virus Protection for the thread?

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Sorry for double post, but thanks again @wizfan . Uninstall and reinstall did the trick. A simple solution, but sometimes it just helps to have someone else thinking about it. It didn't cross my mind. And thank you too @ziltoid . I think you should start your thread. Some of us just aren't as computer savvy as others. You guys are awesome.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    I wouldn't trust that adaptor (unless it's gold-plated, which reduces the noise). Are you trying to record from a device with a 1/8" (3.5mm) jack output?
    Short answer: yes. Longer answer: I have a short-term, fixed project of wanting to import some minidiscs from players which only have 1/8 headphone outs; after that it's digitizing vinyl, my Amp has 1/4.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I have a short-term, fixed project of wanting to import some minidiscs from players which only have 1/8 headphone outs
    Do you have a device (sound card, etc.) with a line-in input? If so, get a 1/8 male-male cable, plug one end on the line-in and the other on the minidisc's headphone out and record it with your computer. Now, why can't you digitize vinyl with Focusrite, since it has two combined 1/4"-XLR jacks? Does your amp have a single 1/4 output?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Do you have a device (sound card, etc.) with a line-in input? If so, get a 1/8 male-male cable, plug one end on the line-in and the other on the minidisc's headphone out and record it with your computer. Now, why can't you digitize vinyl with Focusrite, since it has two combined 1/4"-XLR jacks? Does your amp have a single 1/4 output?
    I have a sound card in my PC which is a bit of an ornament these days but I could use that for the purpose I guess.

With the focusrite, my amp has a single 1/4 stereo headphone output on the front and an RCA pair on the back labelled "Rec Out". But that leaves me with the manual-balancing issue for the inputs to the focusrite (each channel having a separate gain knob and no way to sync them)

Thanks for your replies!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Thanks brother but i've already tried Malwarebytes. This thing is fucking resilient.
    It's completely hijacked my browser; it makes everything run slow; i'm SURE it's spying one me.
    Fuck.
    Interesting. I started having this exact same problem around the time you did.

McAfee, Malwarebytes, Windows Defender, and I'm pretty sure there was one other thing I tried all reported that my computer was clean. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome a few times, but any progress I made seemed to have been halted by reinstalling Chrome.

I switched over to Opera and have had 0 issues since. I've also noticed that my games run around 10 FPS higher since I'm no longer always running Google Update Service, etc. Opera has "View Page Source" and "Inspect Element" in case you're worried about losing those conveniences. I use a different service for VPN so I cannot speak on how Opera handles routing.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Here's a specific one: does anyone here have a PC copy of the recently released "Prey" game, and if so, are you able to access the audio/music files outside of the game?

I have the digital version for Xbox One, and I noticed that the song that plays *SPOILER* Spoiler: in the Yellow Tulip club on the Crew Quarters deck, the one featuring members of the crew , is different from the one released on the soundtrack. I like the in-game, female vocals better between the two. So: if the audio is rippable, is anyone able to get ahold of the track "Semi Sacred Geometry" as presented in the game and pm it to me? Just the one track is really all i'm interested in. I already purchased the soundtrack itself.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    hey does anyone here use playstation store and find it is a constant cock up?
    i have tried my paypal and credit card and both said there was an error (that they don't specify).
    haven't tried to buy a game through them for a few years, but had similar problems last time, too.

*problem is not with the paypal or credit card*

and nevermind...went to eb games and just bought the damn thing.
    Last edited by Lew; 07-22-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    hey does anyone here use playstation store and find it is a constant cock up?
    i have tried my paypal and credit card and both said there was an error (that they don't specify).
    haven't tried to buy a game through them for a few years, but had similar problems last time, too.

*problem is not with the paypal or credit card*

and nevermind...went to eb games and just bought the damn thing.
    The only error that can occur with a physical copy is a scratch in the disc. With that said, I have not had problems with PS store once I moved over to PS4. I used to have problems with PS Store on the PS3 though. What game did you get?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    thank you for this response, but it is all sorted now. happy december to you.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Can anyone recommend a wrist rest for a mousepad?

Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition Chroma v2 (keyboard; wrist rest)
    Razer DeathAdder Elite (mouse)
    Razer Firefly (mousepad)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Is there a reason that apps in ios close when the unit goes to sleep? It's hard to explain what I'm experiencing. Basically when I'm listening to an audiobook or a podcast or really even music when the ipod goes to sleep, that app is not open when I "press home to open", it's always on the app screen which leads me to be constantly re-opening apps to get to where I want to go. It's very annoying but I don't know what to do about it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Is there a reason that apps in ios close when the unit goes to sleep? It's hard to explain what I'm experiencing. Basically when I'm listening to an audiobook or a podcast or really even music when the ipod goes to sleep, that app is not open when I "press home to open", it's always on the app screen which leads me to be constantly re-opening apps to get to where I want to go. It's very annoying but I don't know what to do about it.
    does it still show up when you open the multi-tasking?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    They do, yes. That's not really the optimum experience as I would rather see the app that I'm using currently instead of opening it again. It's just a strange quirk.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    They do, yes. That's not really the optimum experience as I would rather see the app that I'm using currently instead of opening it again. It's just a strange quirk.
    so, for example...you get music playing in the music app, lock your phone, and then when you unlock it, you're on the home screen instead of looking at the music app?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Exactly that, yes. Happens to Audible, iBooks, and my podcast app too.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Anyone have suggestions on an external Blu-ray drive that handles commercial Blu-ray disc playback (needs to watch my movies)?

I'm looking at the older Pioneer BDR-XS06 ...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    got a FireTV for $35 as a prime day deal (normally $70). disappointed to find out that the new ones don't have a wired ethernet port, but it's still a good deal to replace our absolutely infuriating Fire Stick that fucks up pretty much everything we try to do on it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    finally jumped ship and switched from an iPhone (upgraded from SE to 8 last friday, my wife got a Google Pixel at the same time, i got jealous) to a Google Pixel today.

so far, i like everything except for the fact that my library of 27,000+ songs is almost impossible to batch upload to the free google play service, so i'm having to upload everything ONE ALBUM AT A FUCKING TIME.

don't understand why i can't just have an app that lets me manually put music on my phone -_-

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    You can just plonk the music files into the phone's hard drive, music apps detect them automatically.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    You can just plonk the music files into the phone's hard drive, music apps detect them automatically.
    how do you do that? the android file transfer app doesn't work with the google pixel, and my computer doesn't see the phone as a device when i plug it in to the computer, so i can't access its file structure (i have a mac).

also, what music app would you recommend that works in such a way? i'm just using the built in google play app.

i went to bed at 11pm last night (it is currently 5:45am) and left my computer uploading a batch of songs...and of course it put itself to sleep when it wasn't even 1/4 of the way through uploading. i have a 2-hour drive to work today and i was hoping to just have a bunch of stuff on my phone so i wouldn't have to worry about anything :/

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    When you plug your phone into the computer, there's a menu of options for how to use the connection. You can find this by pulling down from the top of the screen, bringing up a screen that displays your active notifications. When your phone is plugged into a computer (and the comp is turned on!), one of these notification tabs should say "Charging this device via USB". Click that tab, and it will give a list of other options for how to use the connection. Select "File transfer" and the computer will recognise the phone as kind of a USB pen drive, so you can navigate through the file structure, create new folders, and copy/paste/delete what's in there. I recommend creating your own folder so you can find your stuff easily.

Edit: as for which app to use, I don't have any strong recommendations. I use Google Play Music too, which has a great library if you pay for streaming. It's not perfect though - no selectable art for artists or albums, ID3 tags need *very* careful labelling to make sure albums are sorted properly, very basic audio settings, playlists can be weird when combining streamed with hard drive music, no integrated podcast browser.

Spotify is recommended by a lot of people, but I don't know how many of those issues it fixes.
    Last edited by Vertigo; 08-24-2018 at 07:25 AM.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    I reinstalled windows (10), and my audio is all fucked up. My driver is up to date, but all the songs sound weird. I couldn't pinpoint exactly how t odescribe the problem, but funnily enough, this "song" helped:

So the way it supposed to sound is that you hear Katy Perry normally, as you should, while the gachi stuff is in the background just enough so you can hear it and make the song all weird. To me however, Katy Perry is barely audible during the gachi parts, while the gachi itself is extremely loud. Something must be fucked with the pitches, but not sure how to make it sound normal.

edit: I have this Dolby Audio EQ thingy, but it doesn't do much, no matter which category I choose. Whenever someone is speaking, they almost completely mute out KP.
    Last edited by Volband; 09-27-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    I reinstalled windows (10), and my audio is all fucked up. My driver is up to date, but all the songs sound weird. I couldn't pinpoint exactly how t odescribe the problem, but funnily enough, this "song" helped:

So the way it supposed to sound is that you hear Katy Perry normally, as you should, while the gachi stuff is in the background just enough so you can hear it and make the song all weird. To me however, Katy Perry is barely audible during the gachi parts, while the gachi itself is extremely loud. Something must be fucked with the pitches, but not sure how to make it sound normal.

edit: I have this Dolby Audio EQ thingy, but it doesn't do much, no matter which category I choose. Whenever someone is speaking, they almost completely mute out KP.
    Not sure but I'll say that that song sounds like garbage. It's not a good remix, everything sounds like low bitrate artifacting. And the fucked up mixing with the talking way more up front than the singing is how it is. I don't think your speakers are the issue.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Not sure but I'll say that that song sounds like garbage. It's not a good remix, everything sounds like low bitrate artifacting. And the fucked up mixing with the talking way more up front than the singing is how it is. I don't think your speakers are the issue.
    Yeah, I did some searching since, and most of my issues now are reduced to higher pitched sounds being too loud. I was thinking about getting an equaliser program, but I'm not too familiar with them.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post

Try rolling the driver back to an older, not the most updated version. You may have to search out your component hardware manf website and find an older driver straight from them versus letting Window$ Update get a driver for you.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Anyone have any experience with routers that offer parental controls? I have plenty of experience in the professional realm, but I've got a friend / client who is looking for a home solution for restricting his kids' internet access. He wasn't super clear on exactly what he wants (site blocking, scheduled full outages, bandwidth limits, and/or just an on-demand on/off switch per client). I'm only vaguely familiar with Disney's "Circle" tech, but that's about the extent of my knowledge on the consumer side of things. Any tips?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Dunno if anyone will be able to help but i have an issue.

My home broadband is out (the line was cut by some building work next door and my landlord is currently arguing with them who will pay to fix it, while me and the other studio apartments are stuck in the middle with no internet. It's been 2 weeks and there are no sign it'll be fixed anytime soon)

I'm currently using my mobile to tether to my PC just to watch anything (i don't have a TV) and my contract only allows up to 20GB before i run out and have to pay another £20 for another 20GB more data (and even using it reservedly i'm hitting 15-20GB A WEEK!). I've been looking at MiFi and wondering if this could be a short term solution?
    In the UK Three (the mobile operator) just allowed unlimited data through their mobile sims that can also be tethered (for £32 a month)...would i be able to get a mobile sim and use it in a MiFi, or would i have to just get a cheap mobile to use as a router via a personal hotspot?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    So I've been thinking about upgrading some stuffs on my MBP '11. I've looked at the ifixit videos a while back and feel fairly confident about it, just wondering if anyone has done this themselves. Want to put in a solid state hard drive, more ram and probable a new battery as well since i'll have it opened up. I am hesitant as i don't want to brick this thing as it's been rock solid since i bought it ('11).

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    So I've been thinking about upgrading some stuffs on my MBP '11. I've looked at the ifixit videos a while back and feel fairly confident about it, just wondering if anyone has done this themselves. Want to put in a solid state hard drive, more ram and probable a new battery as well since i'll have it opened up. I am hesitant as i don't want to brick this thing as it's been rock solid since i bought it ('11).
    Yo, I have a MBP 2012 and have upgraded the ram and hdd to ssd with ease. I have not switch batteries yet as mine is still fairly good. My suggestion for you is follow the videos carefully and DO backup your HDD drive before switching to the SSD.